• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 807 Views, 15 Comments

Fool Me Once... - Codi Snow



Sometimes we all need a second chance to explain ourselves....

  • ...
2
 15
 807

Honestly....

How. Did. I. Get. Here? Just a minute ago I was saving these foals from being mauled by a friggin' manticore and now they're wrapping me up with some medical tape. How did they get the medical tape?! Aren't they too young to even try to use this stuff? They must get into accidents often. The earth filly was working on my arms with the surgical tape. The pegasus filly was working on giving me stitches on my back. And the little unicorn filly was on cleaning duty, cleaning up any excess blood leaking out of me. Yep, they must get hurt often.
"It this too tight fer ya?"
"N-no, it's fine. Tha-"
"Are the stitches too tight?"
"Not really. It's just fi-"
"Need any water? Any juice?"

Answer! Now! No sentences!
"Juice!" Yes! Got a word in!
"Hey! No need to yell!" The unicorn filly said with a strained look on her face while nursing her ear.
"Heh, sorry, I thought I wouldn't get a word in with you guys nursing me." I said sheepishly.
"Well it's imperative that our patient gets the utmost care!" The unicorn beamed.
"Impera-what?" The pegasus asked.
"It's another way of saying important." I responded.
"Oh. Yeah that makes sense." The orange one replied.

I dunno. These guys don't seem so bad. I mean, sure the orange one should be flying at her age and all, but other than that these fillies seem pretty cool. Slightly annoying but still cute and cool. And their ambitions are really high for cutie marks. Heck, they almost died trying to earn cutie marks as manticore whisperers. Who in the hoof would do that? What would their cutie mark look like? Wait, the real question would be WHY would someone do that? That's a death wish in of itself! I'm pretty damn glad I jumped in to save these foals when I did. What would their parents think if they just realized their little precious foals got killed over some little expedition for cutie marks? I could just see their names on their gravestones right now: Here lies........um.........wait......I didn't even ask for their names did I?
"Say, girls?"
"Yes?" all three of them replied in union.
"What are your names, anyways?"
"My name is Scootaloo!" the pegasus beamed.
"My name is Sweetie Belle!" the unicorn chimed in.
"An' mah name is Applebloom!" the earth pony shouted.
"And we're..." Scootaloo led on. I could have sworn I lost my sense of hearing for a split second after this.
"THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!" they... I dunno. 'Shouting' may be an understatement.

They were patiently waiting for my response. I found it polite but, I kinda actually LIKE my sense of hearing when I talk. Its comforting to know what my voice sounds like. When my hearing did returned, I tried to find the right words to say.
"Well...that was....interesting." I said flatly trying to nurse my ear.
"We dedicated this group into helping ourselves and other ponies find their special talent!" Sweetie Belle said excitedly
"Yeah and then the other ponies will be so amazed that they'll form a group under the same name and then inspire other ponies later in the future to make a group under the same name to inspire another group of ponies to-"
"Ah think she gets the point." Applebloom said as she put her hoof over Scootaloo's mouth, cutting her off. These guys are both adorable and funny. However, Scootaloo stands out to me the most. She looks so determined and seem like she loves a good rush of adrenaline.
"So, what do you guys want your cutie marks to be?" I asked.
"I wanna be just like my big sister and become a famous designer!" Sweetie Belle said.
"Ah just want to be able to have a cutie mark."Applebloom said plainly.
"And I want a cutie mark as cool and as awesome as Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo squealed.
"Just you wait Gilda! One day I'll be so good they'll beg me to join the Wonderbolts!"
"I gotta keep practicing so I can get into the Wonderbolts someday!"
Dash....Why can't I get you off of my mind?
"Uh miss?" Scootaloo chirped. I must've day dreamed for a minute.
"Yes?" I replied trying to work my way back into reality.
"We, uh, never got yer name."Applebloom said. She's right. I asked for all that info about them and I have yet to mention my name to them.
"Oh, right." I replied.
"Well,what's your name, miss?" Sweetie Belle asked sweetly but impatiently.
"My name is uh....uh..."
"Yes?"
"My name is...."
"Yeah? Yer name is...."
"You're almost there. Your name is..."

Well, here it goes.
"My name is-"
"Well if it isn't for the tree house for BLANK FLANKS!"

Well, that saved my flank. Hey wait, why couldn't I tell them who I was. I'm as awesome as ever! I'm Gilda! Gilda the griffon! So....why couldn't I just say that?
"Oh great."I heard Scootaloo say in disappointment.
"Not those two again." Sweetie Belle replied in sadness
"They're th' last thing we need right now.." AppleBloom said in anger.
"What's wrong, guys?" I asked.
"Th' bane of our existences are here." Applebloom replied grimly
"Maybe if we pretend that we're not here they'll go away." Sweetie Belle said with a little enthusiasm.
"We can see you in the window!" I heard a different foal scream. Apparently they didn't come alone.
"Well so much fer that idea." Applebloom said defeated.
"Oh horse apples they brought the whole class in on us!"Scootaloo hissed.
"How do ya'll know that?" Applebloom asked confused.
"I can see all of them outside of the window." Scootaloo said.
"Dagnabbit! Why do they always have t' pick on us?!" Applebloom yelled in a fit of anger.
"We should probably go outside and confront them,"Sweetie Belle said reluctantly.
"Sweetie Belle's right. We might as well get it over with," Scootaloo said defeated. It really pained me to see these fillies like this. I really wanted to cheer them up. I felt like seeing this had some sort of pained emotion eating me up inside."You don't mind staying in here while we're out do you?" Scootaloo asked.
"Sure thing, girls." I replied.
"Promise?"
"I promise."
"Thanks. C'mon girls," Scootaloo said, bracing herself. I watched them as they reluctantly walked out of the door and saw Applebloom close it slowly. I then peered out of the window to see everyone's eyes on the trio.I started to listen to what they were saying.
"What do you want now, Diamond Tiara?" I heard Scootaloo say angrily.
"Just wanted to show the class where our favorite blank flanks hopelessly look for their future useless talents!" The pink earth pony replied. So that's Diamond Tiara.
"Ah think ya'll just get a kick outta makin' our lives miserable!" I heard Applebloom growl.
"Can't you just leave us alone and live your own life?" I heard Sweetie Belle say.I gave a little snicker. Seems Diamond Tiara didn't like that remark.
"You wanna say that again?" I heard Diamond Tiara say with animosity. She was muzzle to muzzle with Sweetie Belle. This started to put me on edge.
"You heard her! You and Silver Spoon get your own lives and leave ours alone!" I heard Scootaloo bark at her. I started to feel uneasy. I haven't felt like this since-
"You're nothing but a disgrace!"
I need to stop this.
"Why don't ya'll just leave already?!" I heard Applebloom yelled angrily.
I started to see an orange figure at the top of the hill. I need to stop this.
"You afraid of getting your flanks beat?" A bluish-gray filly with a white mane chimed in.
"Stay outta this, Silver Stone!" I started to see Applebloom tremble a bit. The orange figure started to get closer. Silver Stone's muzzle came close to Appleblom's. I need to stop this.
"Make. Me." She replied, smirking. The orange figure started to move faster. My stomach is in knots now. I need to stop this. Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara face to face. Sweetie Belle and who I assumed to be Silver Spoon face to face. And now, Appleboom and Silver Stone face to face. The orange figure picked up the pace. I need to stop this. I need to stop this. I need to stop this.
"Promise?"
"I promise."

The orange figure never lost pace. The stand off continued and the tension only grew. The orange figure's speed only increased just a smidge .I promised. I need to stop this. But I promised. But I need to stop this. I need to stop this


What happened next, moved in slow motion. Scootaloo swung first, hitting Diamond Tiara so hard she staggered back. Silver Spoon slapped Sweetie Bell hard across the face leaving a crimson red hoof print on her right cheek. Silver Stone punched Applebloom in the nose, causing her to start bleeding. I heard the orange figure scream a guttural 'NO' right after. It then turned into an all out brawl. Sweetie Belle was pinned but she was still fighting, punching Silver Spoon hard in the nose, making her bleed. Scootaloo kept swinging at Diamond Tiara, in fact, returned the favor. Applebloom pinned Silver Stone to the ground and was relentlessly slamming her hoof in her face, her eyes looking blood thirsty. The orange figure grew increasingly fast. I really need to stop this.
"Promise?"
"I promise."

I couldn't take it anymore. I truly needed to stop this. I truly, truly needed to stop this.
"Promise?"
"I promise."

But I promised. I can't break another promise.
"Promise?"
"I promise."

The orange figure kept running. She was only halfway there.
"Promise?"
"I promise."
"Promise?"
"I promise."
"Promise?"
"I promise."
"Promise?"
No...I can't anymore....

I took a deep breath in and spread my wings.
Please.....the three of you...please forgive me.........
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!


Everyone stopped and turned their heads towards the window.I flew out of the window, went upwards, and slammed down, right in front of everyone. The edges of my eyes started to go black. I snarled and growled. Scootaloo, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle scurried behind me.Silver Stone, Silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara and all of the other foals looked at me in fear, shock, and horror.
"W-wh-who..." Diamond Tiara stammered
"Who are you?" Silver Stone trembled. I gritted my teeth
"Cowards! All of you!" I yelled."Especially you three! Picking on them because you have something they're fighting for! You don't think their lives are hard enough?!" I started to tremble. My lip quivered.My claws were extended, digging away at the ground." You've got some nerve picking on these three! And the rest of you! Just sitting here! Watching while they're getting picked on! You all should be ashamed!" I stopped yelling at them. Everyone started to let the words sink in, making the silence heavy. Silver Stone spoke again.
"Who are you?" I heaved a breath and started up again.
"My name is-"
"Gilda?"
"What?" I snarled, looking in the direction of the pony calling me. When I found the source, my eyes softened and I loosened up a bit. It was the orange figure staring at me with shock, confusion, and amazement. Her eyebrows furrowed, her eyes flickered with anger towards me and then everyone else.
"Everypony go on home!" The orange pony barked
"And what if I don't?" Silver Stone challenged her with what little pride she had that wasn't taken from her by Applebloom.
"You'll answer to her and me," I said baring my teeth walking slowly to her, beak to muzzle,"and trust me, you don't wanna have to answer to me." I heard her swallow hard and the crowd dispersed,Silver Stone, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon taking off. I looked up at the orange pony, softening my expression, sat down and chose my words wisely.
"Listen, uh, I know I'm the last person you wanna see and-"
"Everypony. With me. To the barn .Now." She interrupted with such aggression in her voice. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo ran up to her. Applebloom lingered, pulled me in a warm embrace, snuggled into my chest scruff and took a sigh of relief. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her close.
"Thank you." She whispered as tears began to fall.
"Anytime kiddo." I replied. I truly enjoyed this hug. She broke away from me, gave me a thankful look, and ran up to the orange pony. I remained in my spot, the orange pony glaring at me. I gave her a confused look.
"Ah said Everypony." She said irritated.
"But I'm a griffon." I joked. Bad idea. Bad idea.
"Fine. Everyone." She said in an angry tone. I nodded and walked up to the group. The orange pony walked ahead of all of us. then Scootaloo nudged my arm.
"Did you see that punch?" She asked excitedly.
"Yeah," I replied trying to return her enthusiasm," you almost sent her flying."
"What about me? Did you see me?" Sweetie Belle asked.
" Of course I did! Though next time you should throw the first punch." I chuckled lightly and so did she.
"H-how about me?" Applebloom asked barely above a whisper while holding a hoof to her muzzle to slow the bleeding. She seemed afraid of the orange pony and to be honest, I don't blame her. But I gave her a warm smile and replied.
"Sure did. And I think Silver Stone is gonna feel her face hurt every time she thinks about bugging you three."
"Why do y'think that?" She asked
"Because it's gonna be her little 'reminder'." I replied. Then all three of them giggled. I peered at the orange pony. If I'm not mistaken, I could have sworn her expression soften, and she cracked a smile. Then Scootaloo piped up.
"Did you hear her roar? That was so awesome!" She squealed.
"It was nothing." I said with a small blush.
"An' th' way she knock everypony down a size!" Applebloom spoke up.
"And she did it all for us." Sweetie Belle said feeling honored.
"It's the least I could do since you guys let me into your place and patched me up." I said feeling flattered. We continued to talk like this and before I knew it, we were in front of the barn.
"So this is is the barn?" I asked
"Yep," Applebloom chirped,"Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres!"
"Huh," I replied. This could get interesting


" So your name is Gilda?" Sweetie Belle asked while a band-aid was being placed on her eye. We were upstairs, in the orange pony's room.
"Yeah. Pretty much." I said lying on the floor. My back was killing me.
"'Gilda' huh," Scootaloo said, letting my name play on her tongue," Gilda the griffon. Sounds cool." Scootaloo had a bandage on her lip and an eye patch over her eye.
"Why couldn't ya tell us this earlier?" Applebloom asked. She had a bandage over her nose to slow the bleeding and a couple of bandage patches to cover some of her bruises.
"I... I don't know..." I replied. The answer to that question failed to hit me at all. I still am wondering what got me so tongue tied earlier. Why was it so hard for me to say my name to a bunch of fillies? Why'd it take an orange pony for them to know who I am? Why-
"Girls, go t' Applebloom's room, okay? Big Mac'll take you two home in a little while." The orange pony said after patching up Scootaloo , snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Okay," the girls replied in unison. Then they did their walk of shame towards the door. The orange pony glared at the door with such intensity. when the door clicked shut, I went to talk, but she raised her hoof up to my beak, not breaking her gaze from the door. Her ear twitched. She then grabbed a book off of her drawer and threw it at the door. I heard scampering hooves right after.
"You've got some good ears,"I said.
"Ain't nothing much," She replied,"you get used to an eavesdroppin' little sister over th' years."
"So let me guess, you want me to tell you why I'm here?"
"How'd ya'll guess?"
"Well, judging from my last performance being in Ponyville and calling everyone lame, You'll want the last person you ever want to see to explain why they showed their faces again."
"Good point. So, why are you here?"
"Honestly?"
"Yes. Honestly."
"Alright. I'm here for...your forgiveness." I closed my eyes waiting for her to laugh at me. When the silence remained, I opened one eye to see she was staring at me in confusion.
"That's all?" She asked.
"Yeah." I replied.
"Wow." She said.
"In shock?"
"Sorta. Just kinda expected you t' wanna cause a rage because o' how Ponyville showed ya up last time."
".....yeah....." I didn't know whether to feel offended or proud to prove her wrong.
"So, how come ya'll want my forgiveness?"
"It's a REALLY long story."
"Sugarcube," she started up as she placed a hoof gingerly on my head," Ah've got all night." I looked at her, wondering if I should tell the very same pony who still had some hate for me. Then again, I did tell a complete stranger my life story and as the saying goes, an unknown ally can be more dangerous than the known enemy. Still, precautions had to be made.
"You're not gonna judge me, are you?"
"Don't ya think it's a little too late fer that? Y'know, after yer visit?"
"I...uh...good point." Maybe she would truly understand me a bit more if I tell her. Besides, I probably changed her opinions about me about two times today. So, telling her should change her mind about me completely, right?I sat up from my previous position with my head hung low.
"Alright," I started up,"It all started when I was first hatched..."


I told her everything. From when I was a hatchling to how I ended up in her house. She laughed when I mentioned the part about calling my dad vile poultry. That's the second person to do so. When I told her about my temper, she had a sort of, sympathetic look on her face. Like it was her fault I lost my temper. By the end of my life story, I found her sitting at my side, with her arm around my shoulder and a soft expression on her face.
"Wow. Ah didn't know ya went through all o' that." She said feeling guilty.
"I try not to remember it."I said, starting to feel a little depressed.
"Aw, don't feel so down sugarcube," She said, rubbing my back in a comforting gesture," Yer choice to leave was a good one. Shucks, ya did one of th' things that was on yer t' do list, didn't ya?" I thought about it and she was right. I did, but...
"Yeah, but I lost my best friend because of it. My, my only friend."
"And yer doin' what y' can t' get her back," she brought a hoof under my chin to make me look at her in the eyes," 'nd by the way yer goin' 'bout it, Ah'd say ya'll be back t'gether in no time."
"How do you think I'm going about this," I asked breaking my gaze,"'Cause It seems like I'm just rushing things."
"Ah think that yer trying to turn a new leaf here. Make a new look fer yerself in this town. And t' do that, yer trying t' be honest with everypony," she said while placing her hoof on my chest," includin' you."
"But I'm not a pony. I'm a griffon." I replied. She started going in her closet, pulling out blankets and two pillows. Then she placed them on her back and closed the closet door with her hing leg with one swift kick.
"Now yer lyin' to yerself again," she said while handing me the pillows and the blankets," Ya'll were honest t' me 'bout everything, why aren't ya'll bein' honest to yerself?" I was going to reply,but yet again words fail me. Was I being honest with myself? Was I a griffon?
"I...don't know...,"I responded defeated.
"Eh, it'll hit ya sooner or later," she said, cutting off the light, leaving the moon the only thing illuminating the room. She then went into her bed, snuggling in her blankets, and let out a hefty yawn,"It's gettin' late" I looked out the window to see the moonlight cascade upon the rest of the farm, gently lighting the tips of leaves on apple trees, glistening upon the grass on the top of the hill, where the moon hovered above the horizon. Simply amazing.
Dash would love this...
"Hey miss?"
"Yes?"
"What's your name?"
"Applejack," she tried to say through her next yawn." Mah name's Applejack."
"Applejack, huh?" I asked.
"Yep." she replied sleepily.
"Hey Applejack?" I called out, arranging the pillows and blankets. I then walked around the makeshift bed on the floor, clawed at it, stretched, and laid down, like a cat would.
"Yeah?" She replied, giggling at me sleepily because of my whole 'feline' thing.
"Thanks."
"No," She yawned, then turned over,"problem."
"Good night."
"G'nigh...." she started snoring. Now it's my turn to giggle. I looked at the clock to see what time it was. 10 p.m.. Then, I let out a yawn and went to sleep.


I woke up to see that Applejack was still sleeping and the moon was still out. I looked at the clock to see how long I was asleep. 10:20. What?! Twenty minutes?! That's it, I'm not sleeping on the floor anymore. I tried to sit up, only to find the pain in my back had stemmed up to a crook in my neck. I looked at Applejack's bed, and it looked so.....comfy. But I don't wanna bother her. But it looked so snuggly soft. She looks comfy. So the bed must be comfy. I started to walk towards the bed and placed my hand on it.
So soft...
I slightly lifted my haunches, lifted my claws, and leaped onto the bed like a cat would. I positioned myself behind Applejack, and leaned over to see if she was still asleep. I got my answer when she let out a soft snore. I then did my night time ritual,yawned, ad started to doze off.
Am I gonna regret this?
As if on cue, all of my aches and pains melted away. I gave a sigh and then a moan of relief.
Probably not...

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait everyone! I had a lot of piled schoolwork and then quizzes and procrastination and distractions and*SLAP!*
In other words, I'll try to get the next chapter out sooner than this one took.(Did I mention that for the hardest chapter to write so far, this one takes the cake?)
Constructive criticism is welcomed!