• Published 6th Apr 2014
  • 466 Views, 3 Comments

The Equestria Games - Sparkers16



It's time for the nine hundred ninety-nineth annual Equestria Games!

  • ...
4
 3
 466

Prologue

The formerly pristine castle halls seemed dark and gloomy in the empty night. Peacekeepers, holding humongous guns as they patrolled the area, didn't help much, either. But the most foreboding aspect of the rotting castle was the most beautiful aspect. The large, white alicorn with a flowing mane of many hues that paced nervously in what used to be her throne room in the quiet little mountain town of Canterlot, now known simply as the Capitol. As the rebellion ended, and the provinces of Equestria split into twelve, solitary districts, Celestia became so busy with politics and battles that she hardly used her castle at all. The medieval building sank into disuse as more and more innovative technology was invented, and now, after almost a thousand years, it was little more than a crumbling structure on the mountain. The castle was open as a museum for Capitol citizens, but tonight it was closed.

"Spike." Celestia whispered into the gadget strapped on her foreleg. She hated all this technology, and wished that things could go back to the way it used to be, when unicorns would use magic to supply everypony's needs. But unicorns were almost extinct now, and these silly gadgets were the way to go.

"Y-yes, Your Highness?" the voice of Spike, Celestia's baby dragon servant came though the radio. She knew Spike despised her. After all, she was the one who slaughtered Princess Luna during the rebellion, the one who imprisoned Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash in the sun and Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy on the moon. Spike, being a domestic dragon, would be a perfect eternal servant. Dragons were immortal, after all. So who cared if he loathed Celestia? He was trapped under her rule. If he tried to resist, then Celestia would kill him, or worse.

"Spike. I have sensed, that after all these years, the spirits of the Elements of Harmony have left those imprisoned on the sun and moon and are leaking into ponies in the districts." Celestia heard him gasp, and knew what he was thinking: There was a chance that the new bearers of the Elements of Harmony would be able to overthrow Celestia. Well, she couldn't change his opinions. But she could control his actions, and he wasn't going to rebel against her, that was for sure.

"I have sensed who the new six bearers are with my magic," Celestia continued.

"But...but magic is forbidden, Your Highness!" Spike cried out.

"Who makes the rules, Spike?"

"Y-you do, Your Highness."

"Precisely. Therefore, I am an exception to that rule. Do you understand?"

"I understand."

"You understand...what?"

"I-I understand, Your Highness," Spike corrected himself. No one called Celestia Your Highness anymore except him. They usually called her President nowadays. But seeing as Spike was from the era when she was still a princess, well, it just seemed more...suitable for him.

"Thank you," Celestia said. "I have sent you an e-mail containing the names, districts, and much other information for each of the six new bearers. Spike, your task is to make sure that these six mares will play in the Games."

"O-of course, Your Highness," Spike agreed, and Celestia ended the call. Relieved, she activated her magic and teleported back to her mansion in a flash of light. These new bearers of Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, Loyalty, Laughter, and Magic would soon be extinguished. After all, there could only be one winner in the Equestria Games.