• Published 4th Apr 2014
  • 520 Views, 15 Comments

Sapphire Blue - ReptiRosary



A story about Princess Cadence and her struggles to maintain peace in the crystal empire

  • ...
3
 15
 520

Adjustment

Chapter 1. Adjustment


The metallic ring of golden shoes on marble filled the hallway as Princess Cadence strode down the high-ceilinged corridors of her palace. She was on her way to get ready for her weekly address. The Princess walked calmly, but with purpose as she always did. Not too fast, but don’t linger, walk with an air of regality and grace. Cadence repeated to herself trying to keep from galloping down the hall, from the position of the sun in the sky she could tell that she was already running late, however she could not break out of her royal facade simply for running a bit late. Cadence knew her advisor would have her head for it.

Days like this were the most stressful and surreal for the new princess, for so long she had sat on the sidelines, observing her mentor Princess Celestia ruling over her kingdom of Equestria. Now she was the ruler, she had the problems of the Crystal Empire resting on her shoulders. She quietly went over her speech in her head making sure it rang right and that she covered all important issues in her address.

“Princess Mi Amore Cadenza! Wipe that scowl off of your face! You’re going to give yourself wrinkles!” A familiar sophisticated voice rang as Cadence strode through the doors of her personal spa.

“Oh, my apologies Cordial, I am just going over my speech for today.” Cadence chirped smiling warmly at her royal advisor.

“ Well come come now get in the bath! We have a lot to do today before your address and, as you probably know, you are running very late!” Cordial Broach snipped already taking Cadence’s crown and collar in her blue magic, pulling them off and laying them on a rack to be polished to a mirror shine. Cadence slipped off her own golden shoes and stepped lightly into the warm prepared bath, allowing herself to sink so that only her eyes, ears and nose remained above the water. The Princess allowed the heat of the water to soak into her muscles and unlock the tension that had been building in her neck and back. Cordial pranced around the circumference of the circular tub, snipping out orders whilst giving Cadence a run down on the tasks at hand.

Cadence paid no mind to Cordial going into an absolute tizzy over the details of the day at hand. Instead she quietly turned her ears back and allowed them to soak into the water as well, so all she could hear was the amplified percussion of hooves on marble, muffled barking of her advisor, and the heated water drizzling into the tub from an ornate faucet. She felt bad for ignoring Cordial, but she desperately needed this time to set her mind straight and prepare for the day.

Cadence watched the gray-coated advisor prance about, eyes darting from worker to worker making sure everything was just so. Cadence eyes focused on Cordials cutie mark, a diamond broach crossed with a purple writing quill, it truly showed that Cordial at her core was meant for organization and dictation of royalty. She closed her eyes allowing herself to sink further into the water.

“PRINCESS CADENCE!!!!!” A shrill screech reverberated into Cadences ears, so loud it was able to reach even when her ears were under water. Cadence jerked her head out of the water quickly, her eyes flying open to find Cordial’s purple eyes scowling at her. “ARE YOU EVEN LISTINING TO ME?”

Cadence gulped “Yes Cordial, I was simply was resting my eyes for a moment”

Cordial, obviously annoyed and unconvinced snipped “ Well I hope so, because I will not be repeating myself.” With that statement, the princess’s adviser scooped up a bubble of water in her magic, and released it onto Cadences head. “ Someone wash her mane, we are running late! I’m going to make sure the balcony is being properly cleaned for the occasion” and with that Cordial trotted out of the spa, her braided blonde tail bouncing behind her.

Cadence stepped out of the tub so that the spa ponies could lather her enormous mane. Two went to work on her mane and two went to work on her tail. They quickly washed it, combed through it and then wrapped the ends in enormous curlers. The princess then laid down on a pillow while a worker shaped and polished her hooves. I don’t see the reason behind this, they are just going to go into those golden shoes anyway Cadence thought, but did not speak, she didn't want the spa pony to feel as if her job were not needed. Besides, Cadence did love it when her natural hooves shone like the walls of her castle, even if no one else saw it. After the hoof polishing they began styling Cadence’s mane and tail, getting her curls just right, and brushing her coat so that not a hair was out of place.

The two ponies brought over Cadence’s collar shoes and crown for her to inspect before she put them on, they were perfect as usual. She thanked the two graciously and they gently slipped her collar over her neck, placed her shoes at her hooves and nestled her crown on her head.

Cadence thanked them all for their diligent work and excused them. “For your hard work you all get the rest of the day off, please go and relax before the address. Oh, and don’t worry about me after the address, I am perfectly capable of handling myself.” The spa ponies giggled bowed to her and left without a word to enjoy the rest of their day, and get their seats for the address.

The Princess walked over to a large decorated mirror to asses herself before leaving to meet Cordial and Shining Armor. She looked at her crown, it was a different one than the one she normally wore, this one was only for public addresses and special occasions. The crown was gold, with three spires, one long in the middle and two on the side. The middle spire had a small replica of the crystal heart at its peak, made of a special clear prismatic crystal that refracted even small amounts of light into a million rainbows. The rest of the crown was decorated with purple, pink and blue crystals to complement the prince and princess. The rest of her outfit was the same, today was a royal address, but not a particularly special one.

Just as she went to turn around Cordial and Shining Armor came through the doors of the spa. “ Cadence you only have ten minutes until your address quit dilly dallying and get into your place!” Cordial urged her usually pristine updo sprouting flyaway hairs, it was obvious she had not had a moments rest all morning.

Cadence trotted up to them and said tenderly “Cordial thank you for all your help, I could not do any of this without you” Cordial quipped “ Your welcome, now let’s move move move!!!” and with that Cordial ushered Cadence and her husband down the hall toward the balcony.

“You look stunning darling.” Shining Armor said sweetly as he nuzzled Cadence as they walked.

“Oh in the name of Celestia don’t mess up her mane!!” Cordial fretted.

Cadence smiled broadly, she really did need these two to get her though the day. Before walking out to address her subjects Cadence stopped, put a hoof to her chest, took a deep breath and released it as she stretched her leg out in front of herself.

Author's Note:

This is just the first chapter. More to come soon!!