• Published 1st Apr 2012
  • 751 Views, 5 Comments

A Bartender's Troubles - Hot Dog Jones



A story of friendship, seen from behind the counter of the mane 6's favorite bar.

  • ...
 5
 751

Prologue

“..and then he just sends all my scrolls to the Princess without even letting me sign them! I mean, I know that the princess probably knows that it’s me, and I know that it’s the message that really counts, but can’t he at least let me add a personal touch? I’m only talking to the princess of all Equestria here! Am I droning? Please, Dice, don’t let me drone.”

“It’s alright, Miss Sparkle. I understand.”

“Oh, Celestia I feel so drunk! How much have I had?”

“Well, you had a shot of vodka when you first walked in, but since then you’ve just asked me for shirley temples.”

“Uuuugh, I can’t even drink right! Is there something wrong with me?”

“No, nothing wrong. You’re just a little misunderstood. Now you put your chin up and go tell that dragon who’s boss of the treehouse.”

“Y’know, you’re right, Dice. I’m gonna head back there and tell Spike just how I feel. Thanks for everything.” She slid a chunk of bits on the counter as a tip and stumbled out the door. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched her fumble with the door handle.

That filly’s crazy, but in the best possible way. I chuckled to myself and pocketed the large pile of gold from the counter. It was another long night at the Sharp Saxophone, the bar where I work. It’s actually a pretty great job, despite what ponies think. Sure, you can get some rowdy guys at the counter who try to show you up, but you can really get some of the good ones too. They share secrets, stories, and pretty much anything; what the bartender hears is confidential, and it’s a good thing too, because my number one customers are pretty known around town.

I had just finished serving Twilight Sparkle, the princess’ apprentice. She’s one of my favorites, and for many reasons. She always has a good story to tell, even if she does get drunk off only one glass. She’s come here for years, and we’ve talked many times – and somehow she always finds enough bits in her bags for a tip. Always a great mare to have around the bar.

There are also her five friends. They drop in every now and then themselves, maybe after a hard day, and tell me about their troubles. I’ve gotten to know these six fillies a lot, and also what their lives entail. I can tell if there’s a quarrel between them, or instead if something great has happened.

As a bartender, I have a sense for what’s going on – it’s all part of the trade. Most of the time though, the news is just handed straight to me, and it’s my duty to forget I heard it and serve my drinks.

For what the bartender hears is confidential, even when it shouldn't be.


---

AN: I think I should point out that this is a very spontaneous idea I had, resulting in the writing of this fic. I hope you enjoy it, but keep in mind that it may not be my best work. If you wanna see that, head on over to my profile and check out Artist's Block, you won't regret it.

On that note, I appreciate constructive criticism, so if you rated down, tell me why so I can deliver even better writing in the future.

Thanks!

-HDJ