• Published 28th Mar 2014
  • 1,513 Views, 45 Comments

Melodies of Love and Tragedy - HaviTheWerecat



Vinyl Scratch and Neon Lights are childhood friends, never leaving each other's side. But what happens when Neon starts to feel like they should be something more than just friends?

  • ...
5
 45
 1,513

Chapter 3: Proud of You

Neon sighed, all day he sat slouching on the couch watching shows on Trotflix and eating chips. Something was missing. Even with the television on it was rather quiet in the house, and he sat alone all day long.

"Maybe I should call a friend over?" He thought to himself. He hopped off the couch and picked up his telephone and skimmed through his contacts, stopping at an individual name that caught his eye.

"Hey, wanna hang?" He hesitated to send the text.

"No, I shouldn't. She's doing her own thing, I can't be there to watch her all the time. She needs her space."

He looked through his other contacts, not seeing anypony who he would like to keep him company.

"Knock knok!" He heard a knock at the door and then laughed quietly.

"I didn't even have to invite anypony over, how convenient." Neon thought to himself and opened the front door. Standing there was a blue stallion earth pony with a cutie mark of two double-eighth notes.

"Hey there Neon, it's been a while and I was walking by and thought I might as well come drop in. How have you been?"

"Hello Note Worthy. Long time no see. C'mon in." Neon replied as Note Worthy entered the home and they both took a seat of the couch. "I've been fine. I was actually just looking for somepony to come keep me company. Today's been a very long and boring day for me. How 'bout you? And how's your little fillyfriend, hmm?" The unicorn teased.

"She's not my fillyfriend...yet, and haven't really seen her lately, so I'm not sure how she's doing. How about you? What have you been up to lately?" Note asked.

"Well, I got my plot kicked a few weeks ago. No biggy, I lived." Neon joked, but Note's facial expression showed that he didn't find it very funny.

"You got bet up!? What happened?" He frantically said in a sincerely concerned tone.

"I'm fine, Note. I had a few bruises and black eye, but I'm okay now. There's nothing to be so upset-" He was cut off from a knock on the door.

"Two ponies to keep me company? This is nice." He opened the front door to find Vinyl standing there.

"Uhh...h-hey Vinyl." He was sincerely grateful to see her there, but his stomach turned making it hard for him to react without making it obvious that his stomach wasn't feeling well. It's like there was a family of butterflies swarming around inside him, making him feel strange.

"What? Aren't you happy to see me? Should I leave, 'cause I can just go if you want-"

"No no no no, not at all Vinyl! Come right in!" He opened the door wide for her and took his place back on the couch and left Vinyl a space next to him. As soon as Vinyl walked through the door Note Worthy's face seemed to turn beat red, and Neon noticed quickly. Vinyl plopped down on her spot on the couch and noticed Note.

"Hey, I know you. You're the guy that bumped into me a while back when I was on my way home from Veggie Burger King. You knocked all of my burgers on the ground and you helped me out. And then you ran away. I thought that was pretty funny!" Vinyl laughed.

Note Worthy's face seemed to get even redder. He looked away and Neon seemed to feel a bit of tension on Note's side.

"Hey dude, what's going on with you? Ever since Vinyl walking in you've seemed to get very nervous. What's up with that?" He whispered to his friend. Note didn't answer, he just sat there staring at the television.

"Note, tell me what's going on with you."

"What are you guys whispering about," Vinyl's face appeared between them, and her face being at such a close proximity to Notes cause him to jump off of the couch.

"Hehehe, this was nice Neon, but I need to get going. See 'ya later!" He rushed out the front door.

"...That guy's weird." Vinyl said.

"Yeah." Neon agreed.

"So guess why I came over here!" Vinyl looked up at him, her eyes shimmering beautifully.

"Uhhh...what? Did you get a coltfriend? If so, excuse me while I go bash a skull." He started to get up chuckling.

"No no no! That's not it at all Neon, I promise! It's much more exiting than that. It something that will make you so proud of me!" Vinyl held onto Neon right forearm holding him back. He stopped pulling and sat back down.

"Alright, what's the big news?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I've been hired for my first gig!" She yelled loud and proud before tackle-hugging Neon, causing them both to fall over on the couch.

"What?! That's great! When is it?"

"This Saturday night! Man, I'm so ridiculously nervous. This is my first step into become the famous DJ that I've wanted to be since I was just a little filly. My dreams are coming true!"

"Y-Yeah...that's great and all Vinyl...b-but...you're kind choking me." His face became a dark shade of purple and Vinyl immediately let go and his original color came back.

"Hehe, sorry Neon. This is just so exiting!" Vinyl bounced up and down on her haunches and her electric blue tail wagged excitedly.

"She's so adorable when she gets all exited like this. Wait, what am I thinking?

"So you ARE gonna be there right?" Vinyl glared.

"Duh! Why would you even have to ask!?" He laughed and Vinyl hopped off the couch and jumped all around.

"This is gonna be so AWESOME!"