• Published 27th Mar 2014
  • 442 Views, 4 Comments

Chronicles: Sally - Xfiles90210



This is the story of a young unicorn orphan mare, a story that tells about her life from her first days to her true fate. (Chronicles doesn't involve any canon characters, although it takes place in the same universe)

  • ...
 4
 442

The Orphanage - Chapter 1

Chapter I

Happy Smiles Orphanage, Hollow Shades.

It was a dark and quiet night in the small town, located among a forest and being close to the Foal Mountains, at the east part of Equestria. Like in other small towns where most ponies had a dedicated life of hard work, there were almost no ponies on the streets at such late hour.

At the town’s orphanage, a place considered special as it took care of foals and fillies with no parents, either because they were abandoned, or nopony else could have taken care of them, the nursing chief was turning off the lights in the dormitories to let the children rest and have a good sleep. Her short silvery mane, her white coat and her cutie mark of a nurse’s cap with a red cross, was denoted by her mature age, and her years of experience at working in the orphanage.

After she made sure everypony was asleep, even tucking carefully a small filly after her cover almost fell off her bed; she heard a couple o knocks on the main door. Her ears perked up, and let out a sigh as she knows there’s a sign on the door marking clearly the schedule of adoption services. She walked out the dormitory, making sure her steps were silent, and walked downstairs. After she took her nurse cap, being completely white and clean regardless the years she’s been wearing it, and wore it, she walked over the entrance door and spoke loud enough to be heard outside: “We’re closed now. Come back tomorrow.”

She sat back as her ears were perked up and pointing at the door. After a moment of complete silence, she cocked her head a bit and raised an eyebrow, thinking it maybe was a prank, one with bad taste in her opinion, and stood up. “Listen, it’s not very polite to not to ans...” she couldn’t finish her sentence when she heard the soft cry of a baby. Losing no time, she opened the door, and she noticed something that unfortunately wasn’t new to her: an abandoned newborn in a basket, along with basic care items like a feeding bottle, or a small, soft wolf cub plushie. And also, there was a note, written with pink crayon.

She took the paper as she sighed again; knowing such incidents, although being rare to happen, never became less tough for her to try not to think about careless parents who never thought about the fate of somepony so small, so fragile, so exposed to the sometimes cruel nature. Then, she began to read it: “Dear new caretaker, take care of this newborn unicorn filly as my marefriend and I couldn’t. Her name is Sally, and don’t change her name.”

She frowned a bit as she set the letter back in the basket, thinking: “they don’t even ask politely”. But then, when she looked at the newborn, crying because she was hungry and her parents weren’t in sight, and the nurse stopped frowning. She smiled softly, and carefully picked up the basket, soon walking back into the building, and closing the door behind her.

“Don’t worry, little Sally”, she spoke tenderly to her as she set the basket on the entrance hall’s desk, and carried her softly in her arms; “you’re under good care here. I’ll ensure that”. She even giggled softly and cradled her slowly.

The newborn looked up at her, and seemed to calm down a bit as she stopped crying for a moment, and looked at the nurse’s eyes. Then, she looked up at the nurse’s cap, at the cross. But then, her little stomach growled, and she began to cry again.

“Shh, cutie”, the mature mare said softly, like whispering, and walked into a kitchen, “let’s feed you first, and then you’ll rest, okay?” She then walked over a table where she’s used to prepare the formulas for the youngest orphans, took a feeding bottle, and then she skillfully prepared one warm milk formula with haste. Then, she sat back, set the filly in a comfortable position in her arms, and finally began to feed her. The newborn quickly began to drink from it, and moved her small hooves on the bottle. Not long after, she stopped feeding when she fell asleep.

The nurse smiled softly at how adorable the navy blue newborn behaved, and stood up, setting the bottle down in the sink. Then, she began to walk out the kitchen to head over a dormitory. While doing so, she was patting her back so she’d burp and have no nuisances during the night. After she did, she set her down in a crib, where there was another newborn filly sleeping. She leaned back, standing beside the crib, and said softly, “Who could have had the heart to abandon such pretty and nice filly? But at least they left her in a good place, a warm place.” She moved her hoof to softly and briefly caress the newborn’s short mane, and then she turned around, walking over the door. “Good night, Sally”. She lastly said tenderly before walking out and closing the door behind her.

Author's Note:

1. The nurse lead's voice sounds much like Lee Meriwether's (Voice actress - Old Eva from Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots)