• Published 26th Mar 2014
  • 4,204 Views, 50 Comments

When Hearts Take Flight - cemfin



Starburst and Lyla have been best friends since foalhood, and though each having thier own personal setbacks, is it possible for them to find love without even looking for it?

  • ...
11
 50
 4,204

Meet the Apples

Starburst led the way through Ponyville once more, Lyla following. This was becoming pretty normal to her.

She’d be lying if she said she didn’t enjoy it, but she couldn’t help wondering about her Aunt and Uncle. Surely they were worried. It was odd for Shining and Valliant not to send guards out.

Or maybe they had and they just hadn’t reached Ponyville yet. Or they’re hoping she’ll return on her own.

‘No, that would be Cadence’s approach.’ She shook the thoughts from her head, figuring it’d be better not to think on it and be happy nopony’s come poking around.

She shifted focus when she felt Lyla had been a bit too quiet for too long. Not that she was talkative, she just usually always had something to say about something.

She continued walking when she saw Lyla was still following her. She did have tendancies to get distracted at… odd things. Like when she was just staring blankly at Cloudsdale.

She loved her cousin, but she had near no idea what went on in her head most of the time.

Being able to read ponies’ the way she did… She’d be lying if she said she wasn’t a bit curious, but it was mainly because she didn’t get most ponies.

Though, since Lyla had only realized her talent four years ago, she probably still wasn’t quite sure what her talent was for. Aside from stopping fights.

As they came up on the entrance to Sweet Apple Acres, She was overtaken by the sense of peace an familiarity.

“I never get tired of this place.” She hadn’t really meant to say it out loud, but didn’t mind that she did. It was true, in all of Ponyville, this was her favorite place.

“Del’s not too bad either, huh?” She turned to see her cousin looking at her expectantly, but… oddly. She wasn’t really sure how to respond to that.

It was different for Lyla to say something like that. She wasn’t really one to talk about colts… at all. Her eyes widened when she thought back to what Whirlwind had said earlier.

‘She couldn’t have a crush on Del, could she?’ If she remembered correctly Whirlwind hadn’t hardly seen Lyla around Del, but she didn’t have the best memory ever. And He was the only colt Lyla had mentioned in such a way.

“Star?” She refocused on Lyla, who was giving her an odd look, still expecting a response.

“Huh? Oh, Yeah Del….. He’s a plus….?” She didn’t mean for her response to be a question, but… would Sweet Apple Acres be as nice without him? She’d never really thought about it. Lyla giggled a bit.

“I was asking you.” She thought for a second, coming up with no reply.

“I…. Don’t know.” It was honest, her brain drew a complete blank. If she wasn’t confused enough, Lyla’s laughter confused her even more.

“What’s so funny?” She didn’t get the joke. Lyla apparently had no intention of letting her in on it, Shaking her head with a “just you.” like that helped.

She knocked on the door they had come upon, hearing movement before the door opened, revealing Apple Bloom this time.

She liked Apple Bloom well enough. She was a hard worker, as every Apple was, but wasn’t too good of a bucker. She could fix darn near anything she touched though.

“Ah, Starburst. What can Ah do ya fer?” The yellow mare spoke. Starburst half smiled.

“Know where your nephew is?”

“Sure do. But he’ll be back in fer lunch here in a bit.” She moved to the side, opening the door wider. “Why don ya’ll come in an join us? Sis an Granny are cookin.”

She nodded, going in, making sure Lyla was following her. She held back a laugh seeing that the princess was hiding behind her once more. She sighed, moving to the side.

“Quit hidin.” She moved around. It was amusing to her how somepony like Lyla could be so shy around new ponies.

“I’m not hiding!” She replied in a quiet mutter. “I was simply making myself less conspicuous…” …… Wasn’t that hiding?

She didn’t get to question her further, getting seen by a little filly.

“Starburst!” Said little filly, Api seemed excited to see her. She wasn’t one much for kids, but she liked Api. Even though she talked a lot.

She also got along pretty well with Icy. And Nighty of course. Maybe she was better with kids than she first thought.

“Ya come by ta help with the chores again? We did too!” She responded with a simple nod, walking in a bit further. Api continued, “Then when your done will ya give me a ride again? Pretty please?”

That would be Del’s fault. He baited her once with a flight on her back to get the little filly to leave then alone one day, and when they both kept to their promises, it became one of Api’s favorite pastimes.

“If we finish early enough.” She never said she hated it. Api smiled big with a “yay” She cut herself of halfway though, spotting Lyla.

“Whose that?” She asked the question that had been going through Apple Bloom’s and the recently arrived Big Mac’s heads.

“She’s Lyla. I’ll introduce her properly when June, Cheerilee, Caramel and Granny are here.”

“Yes, um, I’m Lyla. Nice to meet you.” She smiled.

“Apple Bloom. Ah’m her ma and Applejack’s little sis, if ya met her. She’s married t a Caramel. This our big brother Big Mac. He’s married ta Cheerilee an June’s pop, an were Del’s Aunt an Uncle.” She indicated each pony with a point of the hoof, taking a breath after she was done.

“Eyup.” Big Mac voiced his agreement with her introduction.

“Uncle Mac don talk much.” Api said through light laughter. She looked back to make sure Lyla wasn’t getting overloaded. She had a hoof to her muzzle in thought.

“Ok…” She spoke. “ So you’re Apple Bloom, mother to Api, aunt to Del and June, sister to Applejack, who is married to Caramel… and sister to Big Mac… who is married to Cheerilee and father to June, and Uncle to Api and Del… Who is son to Applejack….. Is that right?”

There was silence. Starburst knew her cousin had a great memory, but that definitely surprised her.

“What? Did I get it wrong?” Lyla blushed a bit seeing everypony watching her. None were able to answer, however, being interrupted by June coming through the door.

“Auntie AJ, Del won’t come.” She said it a bit loud, to be heard from the kitchen as she was walking to it.

“What?” Starburst hear Applejack’s voice reply from said kitchen.

“He said he’s not where he can stop.” Applejack came into view, walking up to meet her.

“Aw, hay. What am Ah gonna do with that boy.”

That was right… she’d forgotten he’d got behind yesterday, and then he left to look for Lyla with her and T for about five hours… he must be completely behind now.

“June, can ya give Granny a hoof? A’ll go fetch im.” Applejacke moved past June, getting no more than three steps before Lyla spoke.

“Star’ll go.” They all turned to Starburst, who gave Lyla a very questioning look. “Right, Star?” She just smiled.

“… Sure, I guess.” She didn’t really mind going.

She was curious as to why Lyla wanted her to go though. She didn’t usually like to be by herself around so many new ponies, and she didn’t seem to have any intention of following her.

“You sure ya can handle im?” Applejack spoke before she got too far. She seemed a bit unsure. She just nodded in response turning to June.

“Where is he?”

“In the barn.” Was the mare’s reply.

“Ah’m warnin ya, Star..” Applejack spoke once more. “He can be a might stubborn when it comes ta work…”

“Its fine, Applejack.” She turned, walking out the door. “So can I.”

It took her no time at all to reach the barn. The working barn wasn’t very far from the living one, after all. She walked in to see Del packing a wagon. A half sized one by the looks.

“Del.” She successfully got his attention, seeing him turn to her.

“Star? What’re ya doin here?” He chuckled a bit before answering his own question. “Well, that was dumb, bet you’re here ta help out?”

“Yeah. We came by to help. And Apple Bloom invited us to lunch.” He continued loading odds and ends into the wagon as she spoke, pausing only to speak himself.

“Us? Reckon that means Lyla’s here too?”

“Yep.” She nodded. “And we’re all waiting for you.” She moved around in front of him as she spoke. He gave a guilty smile.

“Well, ya’ll can start without me. Ah’m gonna be busy till dark.” He continued his task, moving around her. She sighed.

Anypony who knew the both of them had a hard time picking who was the most hardworking pony in Ponyville, and she knew how it felt not to want to take a break, but needing to, though he was definitely worse than her a lot of times.

She moved in front of him once more. “Then after lunch, Lyla and I’ll help you finish.” She barely phased him this time, he kept moving, going around her again.

“Ah’d love at have ya’ll’s help. Come on back after you’ve finished eating.” She frowned a bit at his response. This was not working at all. She sighed, once again defeated by him.

She went over, beginning to hitch herself to the wagon. Missing out on lunch wasn’t too big of a deal, since she’d had a big breakfast. They’d probly only have one dish she’d like anyway, not being too fond of apple dishes and all.

“What’re ya doin?” She turned to see Del giving her a decently confused look.

“Well, I can’t go back without you, so I guess I’ll stay and help. Besides, I only like the apple dishes you make.” She continued hitching herself to the wagon as she spoke, missing the small tinge of color that made its way to his cheeks.

“So where’s this wagon goin anyway?” She turned back to see him blink a couple times. It seemed he’d been daydreaming or something. Odd. He didn’t do that much.

“Huh?” Well, whatever he was dreaming about, it looked like it kept him from hearing her.

“The wagon. Where’s it going?” She repeated.

“Star, come on, ya gotta go eat.” She pouted a bit at that, not that she’d admit she did.

“If you can go without eating, then so can I.” She walked past him. “I’d bet my training armor you skipped breakfast too.” From the look he gave, she guessed right. “And I don’t like sweets unless you make them.” He sighed.

“Awright, lets go.” he moved, unhooking her from the wagon, confusing her.

“I thought we needed that.” He’d walked on, but looked over his shoulder to answer her.

“Now what ya gonna do with a wagon at the dining table?” It took her a second or two longer than she’d admit to get what he said and follow him with an unseen eye-roll.

‘Stubborn as a mule.’ She thought it rather warmly. She did find that to be a good quality for most things.

She briefly wondered who the most stubborn pony she knew was. She was able to narrow it down to herself, Del and Lyla before he spoke again.

“Star?” She looked up when he said her name. He wasn’t looking at her, but kept talking. “… Do ya really only eat mah sweets?”

“Well, yeah.” She answered in honesty. “Unless it’s a special occasion or something where it would be rude to refuse.” She kept going when he didn’t speak.

“I guess I just fine plain old sweet boring. I don’t know what you do to them, but yours aren’t just sweet. They’re real good.”

She began to grow concerned when he still didn’t say anything. She was about to question it when he turned around with a happy smile.

“Well, Ah’m sure glad ya like em.” He was acting a bit odd, but not enough for her to question it.

She let her mind wonder as she followed him silently, her thoughts going back to what Lyla said when they arrived. She’d be lying if she said she didn’t enjoy his presence. He did make training less of a chore.

Was he Lyla’s crush? They did seem to get along. Well, surprisingly, Lyla got along with most everypony so far, but that was a good thing right? She was glad her two best friends got along so well…… She was. Wasn’t she..?

She was out of time for thinking as she followed him into the house, Api being the first to see them.

“Auntie AJ! They’re here!” She turned back to them, “ Everyponys at the table, but they ain’t eating yet. Auntie AJ was bout to go looking for ya.” She continued talking, leading the way to the dining room.

The relief on Applejacks face when they walked in was very apparent to most, Starburst being one of them.

“There ya’ll are. Ahs fixin ta tie ya up an drag ya in here.” She was obviously talking to Del, who chuckled in response.

“Sure, hog tie me an drag me to the table.” Starburst stifled a snort at that. He was quite good at hiding his sarcasm and always said it with a smile, but she was usually able to pick up on it.

She decided not to comment on it however, going over to sit next to her cousin, who had apparently found something interesting to talk with Apple Bloom about, since the two were laughing.

“So how did it go?” Lyla turned to speak to her when she sat. Starburst, however, didn’t quite understand the question.

“How’d what go?”

“Well, you got him in here, so how did it go?” She repeated the question, adding to it this time. “Everypony here had said he it wasn’t very easy to convince him to take a break when he had his mind sat on something.”

Starburst looked away silently to hide her knowing smile.

“Lets just say I have some practice in dealing with stubborn ponies.” She was obviously talking about Lyla herself, though the princess didn’t seem to pick it up, looking up thoughtfully.

“Who? Your father?” Really? That was the best she came up with? Her dad was the farthest thing from stubborn. If anything, he was a pushover.

Before she could answer, Del, finishing his talk with his mother, sat down between Starburst and Applejack, who was just taking her seat as well.

“So,” He spoke, turning to them, though it looked like he was talking to Lyla. “How’s mah family treatin ya?”

“They’re wonderful.” She answered with a happy smile. “Is your Granny Smith really going on 100?” Lyla leaned over her slightly to quietly ask the question. He chuckled with a nod.

They kept talking back and forth like that. Starburst watched quietly, not really eating. She took a few bites, not to be rude, but she wasn’t too hungry.

She wondered for a second why she even agreed to stay. Well, Lyla might’ve been hungry. And it wasn’t like they had anything better to do. “Right?”

Her thought was interrupted by Lyla, who was now looking at her expectantly. Oh, crap, she did it again.

She looked back to Del to see if he could give her a clue as to what question was asked, but he looked to be preoccupied, frowning a bit and…. Blushing?

“Now what kinda question’s that?” He turned to her smiling normally now. “Ya’ll don have at answer, Star.” …..She was officially lost, and was able to sum her confusion up in one word.

“What…?” Lyla sighed, shaking her head.

“Did you not hear me or do you not understand the question?” Starburst was glad her cousin knew her well enough that her somewhat guilty and apologetic look told her that she didn’t hear.

“I said, “ Lyla started over with a smile. “Wouldn’t it be nice to be part of the Apple family?” Well that was an odd question. Rather than think of the strangeness of the question, she thought on it instead.

Having the undying support of so many high character ponies, always having somepony to talk to, even if they don’t quite understand… and equal opportunity regardless of gender or size.

“Yeah.” She finally answered. “It would be nice.” the outburst of soft giggles coming from her cousin confused her. It was the most she’d laughed in a while.

She turned to see what Del had to say about her answer, and found him… now she was sure he was blushing, and at a fritter, of all things…

“Did I miss something?” She voiced her thoughts, getting no reaction at all from the blushing stallion.

“No, not a thing.” Lyla replied with a smile and another giggle. Now she knew she missed something. She decided to question it later.

She watched her cousin pick up a… cupcake or muffin in her mouth, almost forgetting not to use her magic, she saw, and took a bite.

“My, this is good!” If she thought that was good, she should try Del’s cooking. Not that Applejack and Granny Smith were bad by any means, he was just that darn good.

“Why thankye kindly.” Applejack, who like everypony else at the table, had heard her compliment, answered for both her and Granny.

“I thought I was a good baker…” She muttered that, though Starburst still heard her. “Um… Ms. Applejack? You wouldn’t happen to be busy tomorrow, would you?”

“ Ah might be able ta make some time. What’d ya need?”

Well, I have to come by tomorrow anyway to give Del something,” Starburst saw him look curious at that, but Lyla continued before she could say anything about it.

“And I’d be honored to have your help making the crystal berry tarts I have planned for Candy…”

“Sure thing.” Applejack replied with a smile. “Come on by tomorrah round noon.”

“Great! Thank you.” She bore a big smile as she spoke. Starburst shook her head. What happened yesterday must’ve meant quite a bit to the sheltered princess.

In all honesty, Starburst had no idea what it meant to be reliant on others. She’d started seeking independence as soon as she could walk, so the feeling of having her life saved was something unfamiliar to…

Wait…. Her life was saved, wasn’t it…? She was shocked she hadn’t realized it until now, but Del, T, and Prism all saved her.

She was proud of herself for being the only mare that was able to fight that wolf-thing… but there was no possible way she could’ve taken it on by herself… and saving her was how Del got his injury.

She felt a good bit of guilt at that. If Lyla hadn’t have healed him, who knows how that injury could’ve affected him? And it would’ve been her fault… was this how Lyla felt? It was a horrible feeling.

She suddenly understood why Lyla was so adamant about expressing her gratitude now…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lunch went quite well. Lyla enjoyed speaking with everypony very much, and being a good houseguest, she did her best to try to help Granny and… Cheerilee if she remembered correctly, clean up.

Though, without her magic, she was more of a hindrance than a help. She couldn’t apologize enough for the broken plate, and opted to follow June, Del, and Starburst out to the barn.

“Lyla?” Starburst held back a bit from the other two to talk to her, it seemed. She turned her attention to her little cousin. “How are you planning on baking tomorrow without your magic?”

It also seemed her earlier display brought up a good question. She hadn’t tried cooking without magic before… How hard could it be?

“It’ll be fine. I was born a pegasus after all. I lived fourteen years without magic.” Starburst didn’t seem convinced.

“Star, it’ll be fine.” She reassured her once more. Nothing more was able to be said about it afterwards, having arrived in the barn.

“Do you… where’s the wagon?” June was the first to speak, having noticed said item was missing.

“It’s out front. Ya want one a mah helpers?” He trotted around, picking up miscellaneous items and tools. June replied with a shake of her head.

“No thanks. You’re farther behind than me.” She picked up a bucket full of something Lyla couldn’t tell about, and went to a different part of the barn.

She subconsciously followed Starburst out front, where she watched her hitch herself to a wagon. She didn’t notice Del had followed as well until he spoke.

“Hey gals, think ya’ll can handle picking up the bad apples in the east orchard?” He walked past them a bit.

“Ah really gotta get that there field plowed.” Lyla decided to answer for the both of them with a small giggle.

“I think we can handle that. What should we do after?” She didn’t miss the odd look Starburst gave her at that question. Del’s look was equally as questioning.

“Well, we need ta take the bad apples ta the back a the barn so we can feed em to the pigs later. But Ah’ll probly be done by the time ya get ta that.”

“Ok.” She turned to see Starburst slightly frowning at her. She decided to ignore it for a little while, trotting off in a direction.

She barely heard Starburst sigh, and looked back to see her taking the wagon off in another direction. She hurried off after her pouting slightly.

“Star! Were you going to let me continue going?” She pouted a bit more, seeing the orange pegasus frown a bit out of the corner of her eye, letting her know she knew what she was planning to do.

“Well, I heard he was very behind.” She looked away, able to deduce he got behind because he left to look for her.

“So if I can be more help, then I will. And nopony will be around anyway.” She smiled, knowing she had a good point.

She didn’t argue, arguing was pointless. Proving a better point to get others to agree seemed to produce better results, and that was something she was quite confident she’d mastered.

Her thought was better affirmed when Starburst looked away, as if to contemplate said point.

“How are you going to explain getting done so fast?” Lyla smiled, her cousin’s question letting her know she truly was thinking of doing it.

“I believe that’s where you come in.” The reply she received was a small eye-roll, before Starburst stopped. She looked like she was about to unhitch from the wagon when Lyla stopped her.

“Leave it.” She walked around, using her magic to pull the bushel baskets apart, laying them in a layer in the bottom of the wagon.

“We’ll walk through the orchard and I’ll pick up the apples. You tell me if they’re bad or not, and I’ll sort them accordingly. Sound good?” Her reply was a nod.

She turned, levitating all of the fallen apples that she could see and lining them up in front of Starburst.

“Bad, bad, bad, good…” They continued like that through the whole orchard, the wagon filling up with apples quickly.

She was happily surprised that Starburst was pulling with as much ease as she was, but decided not to comment on it, sticking to her task. She stopped when she couldn’t find any more apples.

“Did we get them all?” She turned to her little cousin, who was looking around as well. She then turned back to her with a nod.

“I think so.” They did pretty good. If Lyla had to guess, she’d say it took them less than an hour. “So you ready to go to the barn?”

“Yes, lets go.” She turned, heading back the way she thought they came.

“Lyla.” She turned to see Starburst pointing a different way with an amused smile on her muzzle. She blushed sheepishly, going the way she was pointing.

She got ahead of Starburst rather quickly, though understandably. The poor little mare was toting a very heavy wagon, though once more, she was going surprisingly quick. She slowed her pace a bit to address her.

“You ok?”

“Yeah… I’ve had to pull.. Worse.” She smiled a bit at that. She was so stubborn sometimes, but in a good way.

“I think that training of yours is showing. You seem a good bit stronger than I remember.”

Now that she wasn’t preoccupied, she opted to comment on the little mare’s progress. Starburst seemed to be quite happy about it as well.

“Really? Great!” She continued moving the wagon, the barn came into view as she continued. “I’m glad it’s starting to show. If I beat those darn… stallions at their own games they’ll have to recruit me!”

“That’s the sprit!” Lyla always had nothing but encouragement to give on her cousin’s dream. It was quite a big dream, but if anypony could do it, it would be Starburst.

“But don’t forget about your friends here when you’re a big shot in Canter…. Lot…” That was right… she’d meant it as a joke, since Starburst wasn’t at all the type of pony to be like that, but she would have to leave Ponyville when she got accepted.

And it was when. With how good of a leader she was and how strong and agile she was getting, they would have no choice but to accept her, despite her size. Perhaps she’d visit often.

They were almost to the back of the barn when they were spotted by Del, who seemed to be coming out of it.

“Wha..?” He looked at the full wagon in amazement. “You gal’s finished…? The whole field?” He walked over, looking over the full wagon in disbelief.

“Ok..” He continued when neither spoke. “Ah’ll bite. How’d ya do it?”

She looked to Starburst, not having any idea how to respond. She was surprised to see the little pegasus giving her an accusing frown before turning to Del.

“Um…” There was a sudden loud crash above them. It was very surprising and caused Starburst to jump. Del as well, she noticed. She was just curious as to what it could be.

“What was..?” She was about to ask, looking up to see an abandoned storm cloud, when she heard laughter from a nearby tree.

Starburst’s face immediately fell at the familiar sound. She watched Del walk over to the tree with a smile, though he didn’t seem very happy to her.

After a few traded words she couldn’t hear, Prism was kicked out from behind said tree.

“Aw, come on, Del, ya gotta admit that was pretty funny!” He got up rather unphased, still laughing with a smile.

“Ah s’pose half a it is my fault fer fallin for it…” He shook his head with a sigh. “But Ah’m busy.”

“Eh, you’re always busy.” Was the reply he got, with a lazy hoof-wave. Lyla was shocked to find him by her in the next second, with an excited half smile.

“So, ready to go meet up with Candy?” She blushed, looking away. She wasn’t quite sure why she did that. She just got so embarrassed and self conscious around him…

“Yes…” She answered softly. She didn’t expect Starburst to follow, knowing she’d stay to help Del get caught up, so she followed Prism silently with a small thought in her mind.

What exactly was pranking anyway?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ain’tcha gonna go with em Star?” She wasn’t too surprised by Del’s question. Though she had no intention of going at all.

“I’m not interested in pranking. Besides,” She turned to continue to the back of the barn. “I promised you I’d stay and help.”

“Yeah… Ya did…” Del looked to be a bit troubled by her statement. “But it ain’t your responsibility, an if ya had plans afore, Ah don wanna get in the way of em.”

She rolled her eyes a bit, halting the wagon. It was the least she could do for him, not that she’d say so.

“Well, it is my responsibility to keep my promises, so I’m staying.” She moved around to unhitch herself from the wagon, only to look back up when Del chuckled softly.

“Ah jus can’t win with ya.” He walked past her, starting to unload the wagon. She finished unhitching herself.

“That’s not true. If you were actually right, you’d win.” She replied with a smirk.

It wasn’t too often she proved a better point than him, so she would be lying if she said she wasn’t enjoying this small victory.

As they started their work, the two kept to the task in relative silence. Starburst taking the time to reflect on the peaceful monotony of the farm.

It was wonderful and mind-settling training. Not the kind that you see overnight, but the kind that lasts.

She hadn’t always seen it like that though. There was a time when she thought harvesting apples was boring and pointless.

Del was the pony to change her mind, of course, when she saw how strong he was. He didn’t display it often, but the one time he did, she was a witness.

She thought back to said event, starting when Prism asked him for a hoof wrestle. When he beat him, then his dad, Caramel, and his Uncle Mac, and a few random ponies who thought they stood a chance, it truly piqued her interest.

She was one of the random on looking ponies who challenged him, and was it ever pointless to do so. He beat her as easily as the others, and she’d been training ever since she could walk.

The pony to finally beat him ended up being T, but even then it took him a minute or two, and to this day, she was pretty sure Del had asked him to just so he could stop.

She had the hardest time believing that anypony could get that strong from simple farmwork. She got in on it quicker than a wing-flap, and hadn’t looked back.

In her opinion, it was the best thing that could’ve happened to her.

“Bit for your thoughts.” She looked up from stacking bushel baskets when she heard said stallion’s voice.

“Hm? I was just thinking back on how pointless I thought all this was, and how much I love it now.”

“Ponyville?” He sat another basket down, sliding it off his back. Maybe she was a bit vague on that.

“Well, that too, but mainly Sweet Apple Acres.” She moved around, pushing the wagon into the barn. Del followed with a laugh.

“Yeah, it does have a way a growin on ya. You actually took ta farmin pretty good..” He moved around her, pushing the wagon into its normal spot in the barn, and beginning to unload the empty bushel baskets.

A small pout overtook her face. She was going to do that. He didn’t seem to notice her starting to unload it as well, since he continued.

“Better be careful, or you’ll start ta act like us.” He laughed a bit again, obviously a joke. Or his hidden sarcasm. Sometimes it was hard to tell between the two.

Now anypony who knew Starburst knew she wasn’t one for jokes, taking everything seriously, but she couldn’t help herself, she had to see how he would react if she tried.

“Ya’ll sure bout that, now?” She was proud of how that came out. It sounded quite Apple-y to her. She was expecting a laugh, or a “don’t do that again” but she heard nothing.

When she looked up to see what he was doing or if he even heard her, she was intrigued by what she saw.

He was sitting there looking at her very oddly. She could tell he was confused, but there was something else there she couldn’t place.

“Well, that’s the last time I try a joke. Guess it was pretty bad.” She slid a stack of the baskets next to the barn wall, looking back when she heard him laugh.

“Nah, nah, it was funny!” He walked around, heading for another part of the barn. She followed. “Jus kinda took me by surprise how good ya did it.” He turned to her with a slight smirk.

“Mighta been a bit too good.” She was pretty sure he was being sarcastic again.

“So it was horrible.”

“No, honestly it wasn’t.” She sighed. She knew he would always tell the truth. Not that he could lie, most anypony could tell when he was lying.

He had found a way around it though. She had noticed he was smart enough to hide anything bad he had to say behind a happy tone and laugh it off.

And it worked. It took her a while to catch on to it, but even then it didn’t bother her. He didn’t do it very often, either.

‘I guess I can see why Lyla would get a crush on him.’ She truly had nothing bad to say about him.

He was sweet, funny hardworking, with smarts that did not suit his occupation, patient, but not a pushover… overall in her opinion, he was a great stallion.

“ So what do you think of Lyla?” The question just kind of fell out of her mouth.

She was a bit blunt at times, but it did good to bypass misunderstandings. He seemed to be taken by surprise at the question, but answered anyway.

“Lyla? Well she’s nice. A might stubborn though.” She took note of the blush that crept up a bit at this. “But Ah can respect her tenacity.”

That sounded good for knowing her for a few days. Well, she’d cheer for her cousin as best as she could.

“Why ya ask?” He stopped, apparently reaching the part of the barn he was heading for. She stooped as well.

“Just curious.” She looked around, seeing piles and piles of tools of all sorts. “…What’re we doing in here?” The look on his face told her she wasn’t going to be too happy with the answer.

“We’re gonna clean out the barn.” Oh fun.