• Published 18th Mar 2014
  • 1,425 Views, 15 Comments

Poems about Rocks - Supersheep64



After her experiences in Ponyville, Maud is inspired to step out of her comfort zone and write a whole new kind of poem. About rocks.

  • ...
2
 15
 1,425

Publication

“Well, what do you think?”

Twilight carefully laid down the final slab, resting it on the table alongside the other poems. Though clunky and unwieldy, the plates were impeccably carved. Flat and smooth, the marble had been clean cut in lines that were straight even down to the molecular level, and the text had been indented into their surface with such care that even Twilight’s own hornwriting seemed sloppy in comparison.

Twilight looked up with a smile.

“I really like them. Tell Maud that I would be happy to store these in my library.”

Pinkie returned in kind, demonstrating a rarer and more precious smile than her commonplace manic grin.

“Thanks Twilight. I think Maud knew that you didn’t enjoy her usual style and really tried to make something to your taste. She really wanted to impress you.”

Twilight shook her head.

“No, Pinkie. She really wanted to impress you. We may get along just fine now, but it’s your happiness that really matters to her.”

Levitating the marble slabs, she floated them over to the mountainous sorting pile lurking in the corner of the library.

“Spike, we’ve got some new admissions to our poetry section. Can you find a space to put these? Make sure they’re pride of place.”

The scaly assistant waddled in from the kitchen, slightly hunched in discomfort.

“Does it have to be now, Twilight? I think I threw my back out reshelving your entire spell book collection-”

He halted in place as he saw what appeared to be a stack of pale tombstones, stacked at least a head taller than his largest spine.

“-Oh come on!”

Twilight grinned sheepishly.

“-Or maybe you could just find the spot, and I’ll place them later...”

Spike shot her one last glare before leaving the room.

Twilight turned back to talk to Pinkie, only to find her friend had already pulled her into a hug. Without her noticing.

Huh.

“Pinkie, is something wrong?”

“No... It’s just Maud has been really sad since she lost Boulder. I just know something like this will go a long way towards making her her cheerful self again.”

Sliding out of the hug, Twilight’s face creased up in sympathy. And confusion.

“Oh...? He... died?”

Pinkie tilted her head and sighed.

“No, we just can’t find him. We checked our pockets and everything. He must have fallen through a crack or something, because even Maud can’t see him amongst the other rocks.”

She perked up, returning to bounce.

“But even though we’ll miss him, Inkie said it was time they got a new pet anyway. Because Maud gets along so well with Gummy, I’m thinking maybe I’ll pop down to the Everfree. Catch her a baby Cragadile to call her own.”

Twilight considered advising against the attempted taming of wild monstrosities, but having seen Maud’s capabilities first hoof, she was aware that she capable of handling herself where rocks were concerned.

As Pinkie turned to leave, something occurred to Twilight.

“Pinkie!”

“Yes?”

“When you go see Maud, there’s something I’d like you to give her...