• Published 19th Mar 2014
  • 466 Views, 165 Comments

The Sound And Fury From Seaddle - Nic-Fit



The sound, the fury, the band that changed the face of music. This is the story of Mudhinney.

  • ...
1
 165
 466

Turntable

Chapter 2 : Turntable

In which- OH HEY, NEW MUSIC!

~

The door opened, and closed again, much calmer than last time. A grey blur shot through the house and straight to the record player. Octavia slid her new records out of the bag and set about inspecting them.

Acquisition number one: Damaged by Black Flank. Even the cover of this record looked angry, it was a photograph of a stallion with a close shaven mane attacking his own refection in a broken mirror. She hurriedly removed the record from its sleeve and made her way over to the record player. She was so excited to hear something new, she almost missed something about the record that made it stand out from the others in her collection. Besides genre. She hadn't noticed it when it was in the sleeve, but in the light, the record was transparent purple.

"I didn't know you could get them in different colours! How many colours do they come in? Should I be collecting them?"

Snapping out of her mental tangent, Octavia put the disc on the turntable and let the needle drop. There was a steady drum beat, followed by a descending pattern.

"Oh my! This certainly is a new sound! I wonder how-"

She was interrupted by the vocalist on the record suddenly tearing right into the song.

...

Yep. Defiantly angry, no mistaking it. Octavia was captivated, this was uncharted territory for her. It was all so...untamed, wild, and, well, angry! She was fighting the urge to thrash around a little bit, it would be most un-characterful. But the fact the record made her want to amazed Octavia in itself, under no other circumstances had she ever wanted to do such a thing.

She had decided, this was a good record, even though she was only at the start.

~

Approximately 40 minutes later

Acquisition number two: II by the Mare Puppets. This one struck her as a little more odd than 'Damaged'. The album cover was a swirly mess of paint, possibly depicting a buffalo? Maybe a cow? It also crossed her mind how little sense it made to start listening to an album named 'II', as she assumed for there to be a II there should also be a I. Should she not start with I?

Octavia cast these thoughts aside, she was meant to be listening to new music, not questioning the ordering of the albums. The disc quickly took its place on the turntable, and the needle came down once again.

This album certainly was very different from 'Damaged'. It started out sort of similarly, but where as Black Flank's vocalist had been growly and aggressive, Mare Puppet's was more whiny and sounded irritated and desperate instead of furious. After the first track the albums quickly became even more different. A country tinge was very present in II, noticeable in a lot of the songs.

"Hmm...Yes. This one is good also." Octavia announced to nopony in particular other than herself. The instrumentation on this album was more complex and feeling, and the songs changed moods often, giving the album a varied sound.

~

Another short time later

Acquisition number three: Songs About Bucking by Big Mac. The one she was feeling apprehensive about. It was the cover putting her off, it was a bright, garish green, with a drawing of a mare who seemed to be....ahem...'busy'...thankfully only showing the side of the face.

As with the other two, the record made its way over to the player and started spinning.

The grey pony was not prepared for the noise that resulted.

It was like listening to pure aggression. Octavia was genuinely a little bit scared, especially considering the subject matters of the songs. Subjects like murder, drugs, and a myriad of other things. Each song was delivered in a scratchy sounding, shout, frightening blast. She imagined it was not to dissimilar to listening to sandpaper, or gravel.

But it was certainly different, to say the least. She would have to revisit it at some point.

It didn't really matter at the moment though. She was ecstatic, having just hear three albums from genres just a day ago she wouldn't even consider listening to, and she enjoyed it! Left wanting more, she cast her thoughts back to the current state of her finances. Or rather the lack of.

"Well, there's always next month," She sighed, "Always next month..."

She turned back to the record player. She wanted to hear them again. Octavia would've probably worn the albums out by the amount of plays that day alone, where it not for the early night she decided to have.

"Next month..."

~