• Published 31st Mar 2014
  • 18,027 Views, 30 Comments

The Palace Bird - silver hands



As a princess I should not have been so easily distracted by that grey mare with the yellow mane, but what can I say? Curiosity is my one weakness. A girl can take a day off, can't she?

  • ...
5
 30
 18,027

A Certain Grey Pegasus Infiltrated My Castle

A cool breeze stirred my mane, waking me from my slumber. The soft light of pre-dawn probed my still-closed eyes with it's tender touch, calling me to open them up. I answered readily, rising to a full sitting position before my eyes eased open. Millennia of getting up never made it easier to get up early, but a strict regiment and a well trained mind had quieted my mind's complaints as long as I kept myself in line.

Before I had even wiped the sleep from my eyes two of my handmaidens had flipped open the doors, and slipped in next to me. Honey Glider floated my bracers and regalia over in her magic, and slipped them on. Meanwhile Ivory offered me a warm, wet towel to wipe my face, which I gladly accepted. After I handed it back to her she slipped it under her wing, and they both stepped back to let me rise.

“Princess Luna has delayed her dinner once again so that she may join you at breakfast milady,” Ivory said, bowing her head in deference as I walked past.

For the third time in as many weeks I wished she would let up on the bowing, at least a little bit. I thought I had grown used to her 'professional distance' but in the past month I found a wish for her to dispense with the extensive formality she put upon herself. But that was just how she liked things to be. So I let it slide.

“Then we had better not keep my sister waiting,” I said as they followed me out into the hall.

“We told Edelweiss to bring her down to the hall in twenty minutes,” Honey Glider said, trotting to keep alongside me, “You should have plenty of time to stop by the baths first.”

“Are you insinuating something about my hygene?” I inquired, casting down an incredulous gaze.

“No not at all!” she said, stumbling back upon her own words until I allowed a smile to creep across my face, “Oof. You got me good there, Princess.”

The three of us walked along, Ivory catching me up on the night's previous events, with Honey cutting in every once in a while with her own little commentary. I raised the sun as we walked, unwilling to slow down. As tempting as a bath sounded, I decided to go with a quick cleaning spell I had invented ages ago instead, just to see how Honey would react. It was worth it.

As the kitchens came into sight a mouse carrying an entire wheel of cheese ran out of the swinging doors on the right side of the hall, and into a hall on the left.

Not a second later the doors swung open, and a grey coated mare jumped into the hall. Her yellow mane jostled around as she frantically searched both ways down the hall.

When she saw us she stopped a moment to wave, her eyes closed and grin wide as could be.

Then she sprung back into motion, honing in towards the doorway the mouse had disappeared into, and running through it. As soon as she had appeared she was gone.

"Well that was interesting." Ivory said, breaking me from the daze that had set upon me.

I'm certain I've sen that mare's picture before, but where was it. I thought to myself as we started towards the dining hall again. It was something important, that happened recently, but I can't seem to place it. I think it was in one of the documents that passed over my desk, but for the life of me I can't remember which one it was. Oh well, it will come back to me in time I'm sure.

We continued along, arriving in the Great Hall before my sister as I had hoped to. I walked down the scantily filled rows, taking my regular seat at the center of the high table. A lovely yellow stallion took my order to the kitchens, leaving me to quietly survey the going on's of the room.

Ivory was sitting at the servant's table at the far end of the hall, where Honey Glider had clearly roped her into a boisterous conversation with one of the chef's apprentices. A few seats down sat a pair of guards who had gotten off duty early, silently enjoying each other's company while they ate.

Beyond them, crammed together, was a mismatch group of gardeners, serving boys, maids, and all the other young folk working in the castle. A half dozen separate conversations seemed to be going on, with all the rowdiness of a litter of pups. A veteran cook who I had a hand in hiring many years ago named Copper Bright was seated at the end of them. He had clearly drawn a handful of the youngsters in with an old story, his arms fully animated.

Away from the servant's table there was a spattering of nobles and civil servants across the room. Four stallions I knew to be ex-guards, turned politicians had settled at the end of the hall; probably reminiscing about the days where it had been them at the nearby servant's table.

Throughout the hall a few, early rising nobles had spread out. Quite a few had centered themselves around Sir FancyPants, who seemed to be getting more than a few laughs out of the serious bunch.

I knew it was a good idea to knight him. He has been doing such a good job using his influence to clean up Trottingham, along with the young nobility over there.

I had managed to keep the political affairs in Canterlot clean easily enough, but with these past few years of preparing both for Luna's return, and getting Twilight ready for her departure from under my wing I had found it increasingly necessary to rely on other ponies to carry out my will.

However, I now found myself with a gap in my workspace. The ponies I have maneuvered into power readily championing my causes for me.

I picked my aides especially well this generation. I thought to myself, pleased with my work, It will be years before I have to go through any serious maneuvering again, at least not until after Twilight ascends.

The hall door opening pulled me from my thoughts. I saw Luna's handmaiden Edelweiss come in first, holding the door open. Luna walked into the hall, straight and proud.

Her mane had regained its ethereal form only a week ago, but the faintest of stars were beginning to shine through. Her coat had regained its navy tone, but her growth in height was more subtle. It seemed it would be several years before she rises to my height again.

All bowed as she walked past, ranging from full and formal, to mere head nods. Her eyes radiated delight as she took her place next to me. As she did the yellow stallion returned with my breakfast.

“I take it that night court went well?” I said, watching her settle down.

“Twas marvelous, Tia. Thou hast done wonders with the political system since We've been gone.” Luna replied, filching half a bagel from my plate and dipping her knife into my cream cheese.

“You know, there is an entire kitchen stocked to the brim with food that is not currently on my plate?” I jabbed at her playfully.

“We are initiating royal prerogative to commandeer thy food stores for the good of the kingdom,” she said, teasing me back.

“You don't want to set a precedent for that, dear sister” I retorted as she finished my bagel, and turned to order from the waiter, “Else I may use the same to claim your midnight pie as it is brought to your room someday.”

“Thou wouldst not!” she said eyes widening, “And how dost thou even know about Our midnight snack!? We commanded Moon Dancer to keep it a secret!”

“Oh sister, it is far too soon after your return to keep secrets from me. I have many eyes in many places, and it will take you a great while to find them all.” I told her, reveling in her surprise.

“Thou wouldst do well to avoid playing a game of spies with the Queen of Shadows,” she came back in a hushed, taunting tone.

That was the stone that broke the glass window of my facade. The laughter heaved at my chest till it was too much to contain.

“Oh Luna,” I chuckled as tears of laughter ran to my eyes, “I nearly forgot about the ponies who used to call you that.”

“Tis not that amusing,” she replied, a slim pout working on her lips.

“Yes, it is. They were so... so strange!”

“Say what thou will, We enjoyed their company much more than thou ever did the early nobles.”

“Well, that's not really a fair comparison.”

“Tis not.” Luna said, smiling thoughtfully for a few seconds

“Tia. What fate befell Silver Tip's grandson?”

“Firelight?” I questioned, trying to remember what I could, “He ended up together with Rose Gold after things settled down.”

“We knew she felt for him!” She said triumphantly, but the buzz of victory soon wore off, “At the very least We are glad he found some happiness after all that transpired.”

After that Luna fell silent. I left her to her own contemplation rather than try to help. Her wounds were still too fresh, and needed a little more time. Something I was glad we had plenty of. I had seen too many ponies spend their entire lives, never having enough time to truly heal.

But all these thoughts are far too sombre for breakfast! I dipped my spoon in cream cheese and hung it from my sister's nose.

She turned to me stunned. “Sister.”

“Yesss?”

“Thine spoon appears to have found its way onto Our muzzle.”

“Has it really?” I said, giving her my most astonished look.

“Indeed. It has caused quite a bit of mischief hasn't it.” Luna said, breaking out in a smile.

“Well you know what they say, when parents are unhappy, children tend to act out.” I said grinning right back.

Looking at me she raised a brow, “Since when have We become a mother?”

“Ever since you became too serious.”

“Sisters should be serious with each other sometimes.”

“Yes, but when we can't have a single conversation without being serious it's gone too far.” I said, hoping my firmness would help send the point.

She sighed a bit and replied fondly, “Thou art much too intertwined with Optimism.”

“And you need to learn to start saying 'you' rather than 'thou'.” I added.

“We see no reason why not to use thou. Tis a much more elegant and refined word. ”

“I say they're equally elegant, and I'll have you know that I am considered the very epitome of elegance in this day and age. Look up elegance in the dictionary and my picture is right next to it.”

“Oh really?” she came back snidely, “Which one?”

“All the reputable ones.” I replied truthfully, “It's quite a matter of pride for me.”

“Well, now that a more refined princess has come to power We expect they shall change it appropriately.” Luna said, lifting her chin ever so slightly.

“I don't know. Cadence has been around a while. If they were going to change it seems it should have happened already.” I replied, laughing at her pretense of arrogance.

“We shall see who has the last laugh with that one my dear sister.” She said, finishing off my orange juice, and dabbing the excess juice away politely, “ Alas, it appears thine breakfast is finished. It has been a pleasant one. Goodnight dear sister." She quickly got up and trotted off, having consumed more than her fair share of my food.

How does she manage to make stealing half my breakfast each morning fun? I feel like I should be getting her back somehow, but honestly I don't want it to stop. Oh well, I needed to get to court soon anyhow.


________________________________________________________________

Court was trudging along as usual, and for some reason I was having trouble focusing on the issue at hand, which was honestly an uncommon issue for me. I was weighing the option of closing the court early to sort myself out. I definitely wasn't sure I was in the right mindset to make any important decisions.

A navy blue stallion stood at the pedastal in front of me, "With Luna's return, she should be central to this year's gala to help expand her presence among the commoners."

"It's just too much of a risk," A charcoal grey mare replied, "She has too little experience with the modern era, and we want her to make as many important connections as possible. She should keep her interactions limited to the VIP section, with a minimal presence amongst the masses."

"We don't want her to appear self important, or aloof though. Besides there will be critical trade negotiations with the Minotaurs after the gala, and they are anxious to meet her. You know they won't touch the VIP area, they hate showing off like that."

As their argument continued to circle my mind slipped away from the conversation to rest. I glanced out the window overlooking the garden only to see the grey mare from earlier hovering at the base of the window. She noticed me looking at her, and stopped what she was doing to wave. A grin spread wide across her face, and her golden eyes radiated happiness.

Wait a second. Is she crossing her eyes at me?

Before I could get a better look she turned around and fluttered off. Oddly enough I found myself sad to see her go.

What a funny mare. But where have I seen her before?

"What's that your majesty?" The navy stallion asked.

"Oh, nothing," I said, composing myself, "I believe I have enough information on the subject at hand. I shall not limit my sister's movements in any way, no matter the possible benefits of doing so. If we really are to rule this country together then I cannot go around controlling her. I trust her judgment in this issue completely, so if you want to continue this argument then bring it to her court. The court shall recess for the day."

"Thank you for your consideration your majesty," The stallion replied bowing, before packing up his briefcase.

A royal guard stepped forward and formally announced to the court, "The Solar Court is now adjourned."

The nobles and civil servants bustled around for a while, slowly making their way towards the door. I stood, letting my mane flare brilliantly before teleporting to my private chambers. I was sure I would be able to get my head straightened quickly and make a decision if I could just get a little rest.

__________________________________________________________________________


The problem with ruling alongside Luna is that it isn't a black and white game like it use to be. It's all grey and cloudy, like that golden eyed mare's coat. I wonder if I'll run into her again soon... That's it. I give up. This must be the fifth time I've been sidetracked by the thought of that darn mare. Clearly my curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I doubt it will release control until I track her down and satisfy it. Why does my mind do this to me?

"Honey Glider!" I called through the door.

"Yes Princess?" She said, opening the door up and walking in.

"By any chance do you know anything about the mare who I ran into earlier?"

Glider paused for a moment, as if trying to recall, and then spoke up, "No, I can't say I've heard of her before.

She stopped to think for a second she spoke up again, "I know for sure she's not one of the maids though. Anypony joining the maids this time of year would be big news in our circles. My best bet is that she's working in the kitchens. That is, after all, where we ran into her. Why do you want to know?"

"Oh, I'm just a little curious. It's not often a pony like that works at the castle."

"Her mane and coat were rather lovely," she piped in, "Grey and gold is such a rare combination, but it is ever so dashing."

"She was, wasn't she," I replied, half-dreamily.

"Whats this!" Honey exclaimed, "Are you interested That way?"

"What! No!" I responded immediately.

Oh no, that sure sounded like it though. Am I interested? It's been so long it's hard to tell. Great. It had to be Honey who caught me off guard. Word of this is going to work its way through the staff like a bad flu

"By the moon Honey Glider," I continued, attempting to cover my tracks, "It has been centuries since I've been courted, and far longer since I have pursued anypony."

A wry smile crossed Honey Glider's face, "Far longer since you have pursued anypony, eh? Say, a Thousand Years or so?"

She knew. The devil knew my secret, and she was going to make me pay for it. The worst part was that she figured it out even before I did.

Sighing, I met my fate, "Yes Honey. About a thousand years."

You see, when my sister took her leave of absence I became far too busy to pursue any romantic leads. Over time my singularity as a ruler became the norm. But with my sister's return, and that precedent has been broken. I hadn't thought of it before, but now would be the perfect time to enter a relationship, while we are still molding the new precedent. If Honey Glider put that together she's far to intelligent for her own good. Or at least for mine.

Honey's smirk flew wide at my admission, "Don't worry Princess, your secrets are safe with me."

"Let's hope," I replied sternly, "For all our sakes."

Glider just laughed, and continued, "So do you need me for anything else."

"No, I think I've done enough damage already," I said reluctantly, "I think I'll follow your advise, and go down to the kitchens to ask around."

With that both of us took our leave from the room, her off to who knows where, and me to the kitchens.


__________________________________________________________


The kitchen was fully ablaze, and more bustling than a Manehattan subway stop. A cacophony of orders being yelled, pots ringing, and a thousand other instruments rang out in utter chaos. I found myself cornered and shoved off to the side. Funny how the one place in the entire world where ponies had no qualms pushing me around was my own kitchen.

Finally I caught sight of the red maned stallion I was looking for. I called out to him, but he could not hear me over all the noise. I made my way over to where he stood over a roiling stew, and tapped him on the shoulder.

As he turned around I spoke, "Been a while Mr. Bright."

"Celestia! Where ya been ole girl?" His old green eyes lit up, and his dimpled smile began to show, "And I tol ya a million toimes te call me Copper. Mr. Bright is, I mean was, me father. I ain't that old."

"Oh really, I see a few more lines of white in your mane from the last time we met," I said, pointing out a few strands.

"Well ain't that the pot callin the kettle black!" He said, jigging my ribs, "If yer goin te start callin me Mr. Bright, then maybe I'll start callin ye Princess again."

"Please, let's not go back to that dreadful time," I groaned half-playing, half-serious.

"I'll do it. An I'll start bowin and cowerin erey time we meet too!"

I threw my forelegs up defensively, "I give, I give. Copper it is."

"An ye best be rememberin it," He said, prodding me once more for good measure.

Copper pulled one of the serving boys out of the aisle, and put him in front of the stew he had been tending with a ladle in his hoof.

"Watch the stew, stir it twice a minute, an so help me boy if ye mess it up, I'll have ye out o' the kitchens faster 'n a flick o' a kelpie's tail," With that he pulled me off to a less busy corner of the kitchen.

"Must you be so rough with the new help?" I started.

"Ah, it's fer their own good. Nothin te set a foal straight like the crack o' the whip, at least every once in a while."

After a moment he continued on "So wha brings ye down te the kitchens anyhoo?"

"Nothing important really," I said, trying to sound non-chalant, "I was just trying to find a mare I ran into earlier."

"Oh really," he said, raising a brow, "So it be a lass yer lookin fer?"

"Not like that," I replied deadpan, before going on "The mare I'm looking for has a grey coat, with a yellow mane and golden eyes. She was in here earlier, trying to catch a mouse who was stealing a wheel of cheese. Have you seen her?"

"Oh her?" He said, catching on, "Lass made a wee bit of a commotion round here in the morn, chasing the critter all over and making a mess o' the place. Ran out just as quick. Nopony could put a name to 'er, so she mus be new, but with an act like that I can nae imagine she'll remain nameless fer long."

I chuckled at that, "No, I don't imagine she will."

"So what business does a princess really have with a nameless servin girl?" He asked, "An do nae start by tellin me that it be 'jus fer fun' lass."

"Fine, you caught me," I said giving up, "Something about the way she acted managed to pique my curiosity, and I'm trying to figure her out now."

"Did what."

"That would be my business, and hers."

He looked at me for a moment trying to pry me open, but I wouldn't budge. Finally he let up, and shook his head.

"Its always the oddballs with you, lass."

"What do you mean always?" I replied, a little confused.

"Sounds a bit like a similar case with a purple filly. Don't it."

"Copper!" I exclaimed, "How could you say something like that about Twilight!"

"Do nae ge me wrong!" He said defensively, "The lass is a charm. She was as sweet as wild clover when she came lookin fer cookin lessons: though teaching her te diverge from the written recipe were a bit like trying te teach a stone to swim. But ye got to admit: she be no regular unicorn."

No denying that. Twilight always was a bit different, albeit in her own charming way. I decided to drop the issue there (but Twilight would be hearing about this.)

Before I could chime in Copper went on, "Anyhoo, there be nothin else I can tell ye about the yellow maned lass. I ken ask around an see if anythin turns up fer ye."

"No, I'd rather you not."

"Why nae?"

"My sister, heavens help her, is a bit of a romantic. If she catches wind that I'm asking around about somepony she'll assume that I'm attempting to court her."

"An are ye?" Copper said with a wink and a smile.

"No." I asserted firmly.

"Well it's nae like i'm goin te go around sayin it's you who's lookin fer her."

"No," I replied, "It's too suspicious. If you go asking around about her right after we met she'll put two and two together, and figure us out."

"How will yer sister even know we met?"

"Oh trust me, she already knows this meeting is taking place," I said, sighing, "She already has her little gossip network back in up and running."

"Much like yers I imagine."

"Yes, and it's far too good for the little time she's been back. I don't know how she managed to set it back up, when she still is having trouble relating to modern society."

"It jes goes te show," he said, taking a grave tone,"Ponies change, stallions change, but gossip, gossip never changes."

With that he broke out in a fit of laughter.

"Sure sure, laugh it up," I said, "But remember, speak of nothing that we talked about here."

"Aye, nothing more to be said," He said shaking my hoof, "I'll still keep an ear te the ground fer ya lass, in case I overhear a name or sommat."

"Thank you Copper."

"Tis nothin," he replied.

With that he headed back to his stew, and I took off to take a look around to see if I could find the elusive grey mare.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I sank into the patio chair completely vanquished, as a red sunset began to wash across the sky. I had been searching the castle all day for that mare to no avail. I believe I saw her several times in the distance, but she was always slipping into a doorway, or dashing into the maze, and then she was gone. My personal Cinderella.

Did I really just think that? I think I really am developing a crush on her. Won't the nobles think this is a barrel of fun. I swear, if Blueblood offers himself as a more 'suitable' option I'm going to banish him, and lock him in a dungeon in the place I banish him too. I don't care if he IS the best cartographer Equestria has ever seen. He can map out his cell floor for all I care. I was startled from my thought out from behind me came a voice.

"Can I help you miss?"

Gasping, I jerked my head around to find an elderly brown earth pony, with a tall crumpled hat the color of mashed peas, and a stalk of wheat hanging from his mouth.

"Oh my!" I said, " I didn't hear you sneak up on me there."

"Sorry about that maam," He replied, " The name is Hayseed Turpentine Greenhooves, but most folk just call me Hayseed."

"That's a lovely name you have, Mr. Greenhooves."

"Aww shucks, it's nothing special," He said rubbing his foreleg bashfully, "So is there anything I can do to get rid of that frown you were wearing?"

"Have you seen a grey coated mare with a yellow mane and golden eyes?" I asked, already resigned to the fact that I could not find her.

"Oh! You're looking for Miss Doo are you? She was just packing things up for the day. You wait right here, and I'll have her right over," He said happily, before turning over to a more somber tone, "If she's messed up somehow please forgive her. She's brand new, and been having a rough time lately."

"Oh, nothing of the sort. No official business, I just would like to meet her."

With that he trotted off through the garden. It wasn't all that long before I heard hoofsteps coming my way. Finally the golden-eyed mare appeared from around one of the hedges her eyes once again crossed. She trotted along smiling like a puppy, that is until she saw me. She stopped mid-trot as her smile turned to a look of confusion and awe, a look I am thoroughly familiar with. However she managed to shake it off on her own and trotted on up to the table.

"Good evening your Majesty," she said, bowing deeply before sitting across from me.

"Umm," I began, unsure of what was going on, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Oh! That?" she said, cheerfully pointing her hoof to one of her eyes, "They're always like that."

"I'm so sorry!" I said quickly, being caught off guard, "I didn't mean to be insulting or anything of the sort."

"No problem at all, Your Majesty!" She said, her cheerful look never wavering, "It happens to everyone the first time I meet them."

"That doesn't make it ok for them to do so," I said, just a little upset with myself.

"It's nopony's fault, and I don't mind. Trust me princess, everything is ok," she said, managing to calm me down.

"Sorry about that. It's just that I'm not use to making mistakes like that, and it's really annoying when I do," I replied ashamedly, sending her off in a flurry of giggles.

"What is so funny?" I said.

"It's just that," she said, breaking to chuckle once more, "You remind me so much of how my daughter acts when she does something wrong, and having our ruler act like my little filly is just too funny."

"Well, maybe I am acting just a bit foolish," I replied, happy to hear she was already settled down happily, with a family of her own. I could already feel my crush slipping away as it understood the futility of pursuing her.

"Or maybe she just acts very mature for her age," She said, a motherly serenity taking over her tone and features.

"Actually," she said perking up, "Although I would love to stay and chat, I really must be going to pick my little girl up, so I can start dinner."

"Oh." I said, feeling a little dampened by being shut down so easily. Even if she was a married mare, I would have loved the chance to get to know her.

She must have been quick on the catch, because without a slip she said, "Me and my little girl would love to have you over for dinner. That is, if you would like to come."

"Oh, no," I replied backpedalling, "I couldn't impose myself on you like that."

"Oh nonsense," she said entirely at ease, "There's nothing we'd like better than having a wonderful mare like you at our table."

"Really," I said, trying to conceal my feelings, "I understand completely. There's no need to make room on my part."

She pressed forward saying, "There's plenty of room, and it would be delightful to have you eat with us."

I felt my defenses falling away quickly, "And you're absolutely sure I would not be imposing in any way?"

She sighed in relief at my softening up, "Yes, I'm sure."

"If you insist."

"Yes," she said assuredly, "Yes I do."

I stood there, unsure of myself for a moment before affirming my answer.

"Then I guess I'm coming with you." I said, shrugging my shoulders, "Lead the way."

Author's Note:

In the words of like every other author on this site: I WROTE A THING!

Saying that has been a long time coming. By the way, none of the OC encounter's were planned. In fact the OC's weren't planned. I just gave a few of the ponies around the castle random names so it wouldn't seem like Celestia didn't know anyone in the castle besides Luna, and they refused to sink back into the background. Also I am super happy with how Luna came out. I love writing her and Celestia interacting. What else... Oh, Ditzy is hard to write. Like REALLY hard. I've gone over her like three times and I'm still not sure I got her down like I wanted to. Stupid sexy muffinlover. I guess that's enough rambling for now.

ATTENTION EVERYPONY: Please comment on my work. Criticize it, laud it, call it trite. Yell out insults or anything you like. Does it need moor snugglies, or an action packed fight? Tell me what you're thinkin bout my story tonight!

Disclaimer: Hasbro owns MLP and all associated characters and/or stuff from it.

For now. On that note, does anypony have several billion dollars I can use to buy stock?