• Published 14th Mar 2014
  • 2,309 Views, 18 Comments

What is friendship to a Dragon? - Dragonheart01



This is a story about hope, courage, honor, justice. But it is also tells the story about power, betrayal, sorrow, and revenge.

  • ...
4
 18
 2,309

Chapter 5

Author's Note:

It took a while to write this chapter but I finished it. Not as long as chapter 4 but hey some of these chapters are long or depending how I write them. But I am done with it so that gives me the chance to write Chapter 6. Which I am working on right now. Tell me what you think in the comments below about this chapter. And Please review nicely I will accept anything that is helpful but no hurtful comments or anything else. So enjoy.

In the Everfree forest in a specific area stood the black pegasus. His search for his brother had come to an abrupt stop as he found himself surrounded by the bodies of dead wolves.The ground was littered with wolves that were slashed, mangled, and battered into nothing. And it looked like a small fight took place here. What ever happened here was did not look good for the wolves. Luckily it had not snowed yesterday, so there were plenty of tracks around. Though it was hard to see them considering the mess that was done here.

Either way examining the tracks might give him a clue to where his brother might be. Most of the tracks belonged wolves which was obvious given the number of paw prints everywhere. Then there were prints that was much like his own only smaller. Hoof prints to be more precise. This surprised him, but also made him very happy since he had never met his own kind before and he had always wondered if there were others like him. After all he was raised by dragons so he knew very little about his own kind. And he had always wanted to find some answers about his past and maybe just maybe he might be able to find them.

“So there are others like me.” He thought with a smile, ”Looks like I finally get meet my own kind, but I’ll to have find my brother first before I get ahead of myself.”

And that’s when the pegasus finally found what he was looking for. Tracks that showed four fingered talons that belonged to neither pony nor wolf, but to a large reptile. And the only large reptile that could make these tracks was a large dragon. And if that was proof enough the wounds that were inflicted on the wolves was done by large claws that lacerated the canines and a very painful yet brutal bite marks. These wolves must have suffered a great deal of pain before their death.

Looking around the pegasus could see one particular wolf that was much larger than the others. A large black wolf laid dead on its side an Alpha from the looks of it.The wounds on this large canine was far worse than the others. blood had stopped flowing from the wounds and its body looked like it was thrown around. Looking at it closer its body was broken almost as if something crushed the wolf to death. This was definitely done by the powerful jaws of a dragon and his brother was more than likely to have taken a bite out of this wolf.

He shivered eying the deep lacerations done this this particular wolf, not to mention the large bite that may have crush his bones into nothing. And there certainly was lot of blood though mostly from corpses of dead wolves. The stench of blood was becoming unpleasant and it was drawing in scavengers. Ravens were already feasting and engorging themselves, eating as much as they can before any other predators come to feast.

The large stallion moved on ignoring the scavengers as they ate, only keeping his eyes on certain number of tracks the led away from the area. The tracks were mostly made up of hoof prints, but none were his brother’s except for the trail of blood that followed. Going back to the cave was not going to do him any good since his brother had not return. And following the trail was better than staying in a forest filled with hungry predators.

So he followed the trail. The large pegasus had to duck a few branches, walk over a few logs and also keeping his guard up. Finally, he saw a light at the end of the trail and headed straight for it. The pegasus finally burst through the Everfree forest entrance into open space. But there was nothing no roads, no buildings, not even a town. All he could see was snow, just snow. He sighed feeling a little annoyed that his brother was nowhere to be found. But the tracks still continued. Wherever these tracks went would led him to his brother. With that in mind the pegasus continued his search though determine to at least find something along the way.

Just as luck would have it, the prismatic streak of colors appeared from out of no where. These streaks of colors emerge from a large cloud and was heading in the same direction as he was. He shook his head, blinking a couple of times to see if the colors had disappear. The colors were still moving, ”My head must be playing tricks on me.” He thought. ”Colors can’t move. At least I don’t think they do?”

He didn’t know if colors could move or not, but they were heading in same direction as he was going. His wings shot out. They were bigger than the average pegasus and they did help a lot in flying. He flapped them one good time and went straight into the air and slowly flew behind the colors.Whoever was making these colors was in a hurry, but he kept his distance. He flapped his wings as fast and as hard as he could trying to catch up with the disappearing colors.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Back at Sweet Apple Acres Twilight and her friends were inside in the home of the Apple family. The girls and the young dragon were in the living room discussing today’s topic. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were in he kitchen with Granny Smith, baking her famous homemade apple pies while keeping her eye on the two young fillies. Big Mac was working in the apple cellar that he and Applejack recently made, making sure their storage of food was in place. In the living room Spike was serving tea to the girls as they discuss their meeting with Shen-lung. All of them wrapped up in warm blankets, the fire burning in the chimney giving warmth into the room.

“So ah...what do girls think about Shen-lung?” Spike asked pouring tea into Rarity’s cup.

“Rude.” Rarity answered adding a few lumps of sugar in her tea.

“S-scary.” Fluttershy nervously added.

“Short tempered.” Applejack added.

“Twilight?” Spike asked as he poured the last cup of tea.

“I don’t know Spike?” She answered, ”I thought he be friendly, but apparently he’s not.”

“Okay so maybe he’s not the most friendliest dragon, but maybe he’s got…”

“Got what?” Twilight asked her young assistant.

“I don’t know? Reasons maybe?”

“What gave you that idea Spike?” Rarity asked, putting her tea down.

“I don’t know? I was just thinking about what he said.” Spike said as the young dragon sat down next to Twilight.

“About what Spike?” Rarity asked the young dragon.

“About his brother.” Spike answered.

“You mean that Skywind fella?” Applejack said.

“Yeah him. I mean what was so important for Shen-lung to get so angry.” He asked to all the girls, if they have any idea.

“Do you think he and his brother had any problems.” Fluttershy asked wrapping the blanket around herself.

“Who knows?” Shrugged Spike. There conversation came to a halt as they heard a knock at the door.

“I’ll get it.” Applebloom hollered coming to the door before Applejack could answer it, ”Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash. Its so nice to see you two.”

“Hey Apple Bloom.” Scootaloo greeted, ”Is Sweetie Belle here with you?”

“Yup, she’s in the kitchen.” Applebloom said, ”She and I were just making some apple pie with Granny Smith. Want to help us make some?”

“Sure.” Scootaloo said.

“Hey Apple Bloom. Are the girls here too?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Huh..oh uh yeah they are in the living room.” Apple Bloom answered as she and Scootaloo entered the kitchen.

“Thanks.” To where Rainbow Dash walked and found her friends in the room. All of them turn to see their friend. Each one greeting her, happy to see their friend.

“So? What’s this I hear about a dragon staying at Sweet Apple Acres?” Rainbow Dash questioning her friends.

______________________________________________________________________________

Outside the pegasus had landed a few yards away from the farm that belong to to the Apple family. And the colors that he had been following for a while was actually a pony, and a pegasus. He was speechless and shocked to see another pegasus. He wanted so badly to meet this other pegasus, but he refrained from doing so. What would this other pegasus say about him, and would he be accepted.

He did not know, but he figured he give a try. He took a moment to compose himself after all the flying he had done and he did want to show a good impression. So after a moment's rest, the pegasus continued his walk. The walk was short as Sweet Apple Acres came into view. The property contained a farm house, a barn and several apple orchards though the trees were barren. None were producing any apples until spring, then he stopped and stood still.

The pegasus saw one pony coming up to him, a female pink pony with dark pink curly hair and blue eyes, hopping happily wearing blue winter clothing. The pink pony stops her hopping, making the pegasus feel a bit awkward. The black pegasus sighs then smiles, "ah…hello there miss. My name is Skywind." The pink pony looked up towards the pegasus before she gasps in major shock as she leaps in midair, and then she zips away from the black pegasus, much to his confusion and shock. "Was it something I said?" Skywind thought to himself. "Did I scare her?"

There was not much of an answer he could think of but his appearance. He was much larger than the average pony and his wings were much larger. One could think he was intimidating, given his size and appearance. He did not wish to scare other ponies away, but only to befriend. At least he hoped so.

____________________________________________________________________________

“So let me get this straight. You met this dragon named Shen-lung, who not only saved you girls, but Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo from wolves. I don't believe it." Rainbow Dash denied, crossing her arms as she hovered above the ground. She was the only one that wasn't blown back enough by Twilight’s story.

“Well it happened. So what do you expect?” Applejack asked.

“I don’t know? I mean what were you girls thinking about bringing a dragon here.” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“Well first of all Rainbow Dash dear, is that dragon saved our lives. Second, he was injured and it seemed appropriate to return the favor, though rude he may be. The poor dear needed some help to recover after that horrible fight. So that is why we brought him here to Sweet Apple Acres.” Rarity explained taking a sip from her tea.

“Well I don’t like it. I mean I’m grateful you guys are alright, but can you trust this Shen- what’s his name?” Rainbow said.

“Hard to say if we can trust him.” Twilight commented, ”And he hasn’t caused any sort of trouble.”

“At least not yet.” Muttered Rainbow.

“I know it may seem a little uncomfortable Rainbow Dash, but Shen-lung though ill-mannered he may be has promised not to cause any problems while he is here.” Rarity assured her prismatic friend.

“And how do you know if this dragon is going to keep his promise?” The rainbow pegasus asked.

“Why don’t you ask Applejack?” Rarity said pointing her hoof to Applejack.

“Well?” Rainbow asked, waiting to hear a response from her friend.

“Well there ain’t much to say.” Applejack answered, ”Aside from his grumpy attitude and short temper. He’s really not that bad. I mean he said, he would keep his promise as long as I keep my promise.”

“And what promise was that?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“That we don’t cause any trouble to him and he don’t cause any trouble to us.” Applejack said with a smirk.

“Ok, ok so let’s say he does keep his promise and he gets better. What happens after that?” The blue pegasus asked her friends.

“Well...he did say he will leave once he gets better and that we will never ever hear or see from him again.” Fluttershy answered quietly.

“Sounds like he doesn’t want to be here at all.” Rainbow Dash pointed out.

“He doesn’t, but that doesn’t mean we should let him suffer after what he has done for us. If it wasn’t for him we wouldn’t be standing here at all.” Twilight reminded Rainbow Dash. “So while he is here we should all show him some respect, even if he is rude.”

“Fine, but the moment he causes trouble,” Rainbow Dash emphasized, smacking her hooves together, ”I’ll kick his sorry tail out of Ponyville.”

Twilight, Applejack, Rarity and even Fluttershy giggled at how Rainbow Dash made her point,”Hey, what’s so funny?”

“I hate to disappoint you darling, but if you had the chance to see what this dragon was capable of. You would have second thoughts.” Rarity explained through her giggling.

“Like I would. I bet I can beat this dragon ten seconds flat no problem.” Rainbow Dash boasted with a cocky smirk.

“I’m pretty sure that once you get a good look at the big fella you’ll want to change your mind sugarcube.” Applejack said though she too was giggling along with her friends.

Rainbow Dash was about to respond to Applejack’s words, but a loud knock was heard from the front door. Making all the mares turn and dragon turn to the door. Wondering who was knocking at the door at this very moment.

Knock, Knock

“I wonder who could that be?” Rarity asked her friends.

“Its probably Pinkie Pie.” Rainbow said in annoyance, not that she had any problems with her friend. Its just that she could be so random at times.

“We’ll get it!” The Cutie Mark Crusaders hollered out loud, making the ponies and Spike cringed from their loud shout.

On the other side of the door stood Skywind. He felt nervous and it gave him an uncomfortable feeling in his stomach. He wondered if these ponies would welcome him or run away from him in fear like the last pony did. What if they did not like? What would happen to him? What would he do? None of these questions were answered and he was so distracted with his thoughts that he barely noticed the door had opened.

The three young fillies stood in front of the massive stallion. “Woah!” They exclaimed in unison. Making Skywind snapped from his thoughts. The large stallion looked down to find three little ponies, children to be exact. Looking down, Skywind didn’t know what to do in this situation. Not that he had a problem with children. Its just that the children were baby dragons, not young ponies.

WHO ARE YOU?

YOU’RE HUGE!”

HOW’D YOU GET HERE?”

All these questions came out so rapidly that he barely had the chance to answer them. Then more questions kept coming that the large pegasus had step back a few paces. ”Uhhhmm, I uh just don’t know how to answer your questions young ones?” He finally answered.

“Alright, what’s going on here,” Applejack interrupted, noticing the very large pegasus.”I don’t think I ever seen you before? You new around?”

Skywind sighed in relief, ”I am actually.” He answered finally able to breath.

“Girls I think its best you get inside. I think your pies are almost ready.” The earth pony said, making the young fillies turn their attention to their pies. Leaving Skywind alone with Applejack as he watched the young ones enter the house. “So what brings you here stranger?”

Skywind straighten up, ”I just arrived here and I am a little lost. I’m not really familiar with the area. So I was hoping I could stay here for a bit before I travel again.”

“I have no problem with you staying,” Offered Applejack. ”but I don’t want any trouble while you are here. Is that clear?”

“I understand.” The pegasus said with slight a bow. “I won’t be of any trouble. You have my word.”

“Alright. Then come on in, its starting to get a little colder out here.” Applejack said, allowing the stallion entrance to her humble home as he gave her a small “thank you’ for the hospitality.

He entered the home without any trouble from the young fillies. The home was cozy and warm. A great way to rest and relax without feeling the bitter cold of winter. And the smell, there was just something good about the smell. It smelled of apples, but there was something else that smelled so good. Whatever it was, it was coming from the kitchen. But he dare not enter unless he wish be to swarmed by again by the fillies. He watched from the door as the fillies and an older pony, an elder from the looks of it was taking out something from the oven.

The girls eyes twinkle in excitement as they watched Granny Smith take out the steaming hot pie. The aroma was so good that they young ponies were probably drooling, but they weren’t. Skywind on the other was almost drooling, thankful he restrained himself from doing so. He was hungry that barely ate anything since last night and the pie was starting to look real good to eat.

“Something wrong?” Applejack asked, tapping the pegasus’s shoulder.

“Nothing is wrong.” He replied, ”Just admiring your home that’s all.”

“Well thank you for the compliment.” Applejack smiled, leading the pegasus in the living room where her friends were resting and chatting amongst themselves.

Their cheerful chatting came to a stop as ponies and dragon turn their gaze to Applejack and the newcomer as they enter the living room. To say they were surprise would be an understatement, they were shocked at the sheer size of the pony. This pony was massive probably bigger than Big Macintosh, maybe a foot or two taller than him. And his wings were large, larger than any normal pegasus would have. They were large, perhaps as large as Celestia’s wings.

“Woah! Your huge!” Exclaimed Spike, being the first one to speak.

“Spike!” Twilight hissed, giving a slight glare to Spike.

“Sorry its just that he’s huge!” Spike emphasied spreading his arms wide.

“You're probably right Spike.” Applejack agreed. “This big fella here is probably bigger than my own big brother.”

“And quite handsome if I might add.” Rarity added, batting her eyes in the direction of the stallion to which he blushed to her compliment. Rainbow Dash stuck out her tongue, making a gagging gestured.

“Thank you miss.” The pegasus said, his blush finally disappearing.”I’ve never received any compliments before?”

“Really?” Rarity inquired,” A stallion of your stature should already have received such compliments.”

“Well where I’m from there are no ponies.” The pegasus said with a frown.

“There aren’t?” Twilight asked.

“No.” He answered.

“So where are you from exactly?” Twilight asked curiously.

“From the northern mountains.” The pegasus answered.

“From the northern mountains!” Twilight exclaimed. ,”That’s very far from here.”

“My goodness, you must have travel very far to get here.” Rarity said, ”You must be exhausted from your travels.”

“I am, but I’ve grown use to it.” The pegasus said with a smile. “I’m just happy that I found a place to rest at least.” That’s when Rainbow Dash suddenly came up to the pegasus, their snouts nearly touching.

“What’s your reason coming to Ponyville? She questioned, ”And what’s your name anyway?” The pegasus moved back away from the blue pegasus that gave was giving him a questionable glare.

Rarity was scolding Rainbow at how rude she was to their guest and Fluttershy was trying to calm Rarity down. The colored mare just ignored the scolding from the white unicorn. Her focus was only on the pegasus who has yet to answer her questions.

He took a moment to compose himself before he answered the colored pegasus’s question,” My name...is Skywind and I came here looking for my brother.”

Everypony and dragon stared wide eyed at the pegasus, except Rainbow Dash since she had no clue about Shen-lung’s brother. No pony spoke and this was starting to be bother the colored pegasus, but the silence was broken with who was the most quietest spoke,”Y-your name is Skywind?” She asked though it was more of a whisper.

“Yes, but my friends call me Sky for short.” He said with a smile. The girls looked at one another, though Rainbow was clueless of what the girls were up to.

“Skywind dear,” Rarity said, making Skywind turn to her. Glad that the blue pegasus had moved from away from him, giving him some space to breath.

“Yes.” He politely answered.

“I know this seems odd to ask you, but do you know anypony or in this case a dragon by the name of Shen-lung?”

Skywind stood frozen and his wings twitched at the mention of his brother’s name. “H-how do you know that name?” He asked, trying not to sound nervous.

“Well we were informed by an...acquaintance of ours, who may have mentioned your name.” Rarity answered. ”Do you by any chance know a dragon named Shen-lung?”

Skywind was silent as he pondered on the question the unicorn curiously had asked. Was there a chance his brother was here. Did he really talk to these ponies. Why did he tell them his name. Should he tell them truth, the truth about his brother’s life and his. What would they think of him. Skywind sighed, finally coming to an answer, ”I do.”

“And?” Rainbow questioned.

“He’s my brother.” He said turning his head away so as to not see the expressions on the ponies.

“Wow I did not see that coming,” Spike said, Twilight turned to a young dragon giving him a surprised look, ”What?”

“Really Spike?” She said.

“Well uh, it's just that I thought his brother would be another dragon. I mean I wasn’t expecting a pony to be his brother.” Spike clarified.

“I have to agree with Spike, Twilight.” Rarity said, ”Finding a pony even if he is handsome, claims to be the brother of a dragon is well…”

“Wrong?” Applejack finished.

“Yes…well no. Its just that...Oh dear I am terribly sorry if I offended you Skywind.” Rarity apologized.

“Its alright.” He said as the pegasus turn his head to the mares, ”I had a feeling something like this would happen, but I guess it did. So there is no reason to worry About.”

“Well I just feel terribly about what I said to you.” The unicorn said,” Is there anything we could do for you.”

Skywind thought about it and then he answered, ”Do any of you girls know what happen to my brother?”

Twilight smiled, ”We do.”

“Really! Could you tell me! What happened to him? Where is he? Is he here?” Skywind suddenly asked so many question that the the girls could barely understand him.

“Hold your horses sugarcube.” Applejack interrupted, ”If you want to know what happen to your brother then you might want to sit down for a bit.”

Skywind watched as the orange pony sat down next to her friends. The blue pegasus sat down as well thought she was still staring at him with a look expression that said ‘I’m keeping my eye on you’. Still he did as he was told. He sat down next to the young dragon to which he gave him a small smile. The large pony gave smile and then remembered something very important, “Oh uh, before you girls tell about my brother. What are your names?” He asked politely.

“Oh how rude of us.” The white unicorn said,” We never had the chance to introduce ourselves. My name is Rarity.” Giving Skywind a genuine smile.

“Twilight Sparkle.” The lavender unicorn said with a smile.

The orange pony tipped her hat, ”Applejack and its nice to meet you Skywind.”

“Rainbow Dash and don’t you forget!” Giving Skywind a smirk.

"F-fluttershy," The shy pegasus whispered, but it was loud enough for Skywind to hear.

“And I’m Spike,” The purple dragon added with a smile.

“It is a pleasure to meet you all.” Skywind said with a smile, ”Now about my brother? What has happen to him.” And so the the girls began to retell their story to Skywind. Who for the most part sat quietly as he listened to their tale. But the ponies and dragon were unaware that three little fillies were heading out to the barn with a few freshly baked apple pies.
___________________________________________________________________________________

The Cutie Mark Crusaders had just entered the barn without any trouble. Inside the barn it was impossible to not notice the changes the day had brought upon. Blankets and buckets of water were strewn about from the time Fluttershy had healed the dragon from his injuries. And in the center of the room, and the most obvious change to the barn. Strewn out on of a tied hay bale made into a makeshift bed, was the white dragon. The reptile’s face was peaceful and calm, sleeping without a care in world. Of course he cared about this particular situation he was in, but he had to endure it.

The fillies quietly tip toed, careful with not making any sort of sound as they came near the sleeping dragon. They carefully set the pies down and the gift Sweetie Belle still carried around. With the pies and the gift safe, came another problem. Who was going to wake the dragon from his peaceful sleep.

“So who’s going to wake him up first?”Scootaloo whispered.

“Well I’m not going to do it.” Apple Bloom quietly answered, turning to look at Sweetie Belle.

“Don’t look at me. I’m not gonna do it.”

“Well then who?” Scootaloo whispered, ”Cause I’m not gonna do it.”

“And why not?” Apple Bloom quietly asked, ”You’re not afraid are you?”

“Who me no way.” The orange filly answered with a smirk, though quietly. “Are you scared?”

“I’m not scared.” Apple Bloom answered, turning to the white unicorn, ”Are you scared Sweetie Belle?”

“Nope.” She answered with a smile, but she lost it when a dragon gave a low audible growl, ”Well maybe a little.”

“I guess I’m scared too, but not a lot. Just a little bit,” Apple Bloom confessed.

Both Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom smiled to one another. Both fillies turned to Scootaloo, ”What?” She asked.

“Well aren’t you going to say that you're scared too? Apple Bloom asked.

“I already told you I’m not scared.” Scootaloo answered a tad bit louder.

“Well then why don’t you wake him him?” Apple Bloom hissed a bit loud.

“I’m not gonna do it.” Scootaloo hissed back.

“That’s cause you're scared,” Apple Bloom said with a smirk.

“Am not!” Scootaloo hissed.

“Are too!” Apple Bloom hissed

“Am not!”

“Are too!”

“Am not!

“Are too!”

“Girls!” Sweetie Belle hissed trying to stop her friends from arguing.

The girls bickering was starting to wake Shen-lung from his peaceful sleep. His lime green eyes opened and narrowed to the source of his problem. The fillies were unaware as his head rose up over them.

“Am not!”

“Are too!”

Girls!” Sweetie Belle shouted, stopping the argument between her two friends. And that’s when they froze when they heard a deep growl from behind. The girls tilted their heads up to see a very angry and irritated dragon. Their pupils shrunk, feeling very afraid.

“What are you three doing here?” The dragon growled.

“Uh-oh.” The girls squeaked.