• Published 26th Mar 2012
  • 1,334 Views, 36 Comments

Rise of the Republic - Commandobrony



1000 years after the fall of the republic, four ancient soldiers rise to finish the fight

  • ...
2
 36
 1,334

Chapter II: I found it, but it's broken

“I'm sorry about your fillyfriend, had I known I-” Spitfire started empathetically

“She's not my fillyfriend, we've just been through a lot.” Icarus said distantly

“Oh really?” Spitfire's words had a playful, incredulous tone

“Really.” He said coldly

They sat awkwardly in the in the Wonderbolts' private car, gratuitously over decorated with blue and lightning bolts everywhere. The cushions were soft, as were the beds, the tables were made from expensive wood. It was worse than he feared; everything was for show. Spitfire noticed his disgusted expression

“I felt much the same way when I first got in.” Spitfire said empathetically

“Really? Seems like everypony likes the glitz and glamour of the wonderbolts, almost every pegasus wants to be in” Icarus said with a scornful bite

“You notice how rare it is for one of them to get in though?” Spitfire said warmly

“I must say it never crossed my mind the kind of person that does this kind of thing” he said with a shrug

“When I joined the Airforce all I wanted to do was serve. When they said there was a position in the Wonderbolts for me, I said yes immediately. I could handle the new physical requirements, but what really took me for a ride was that glitz and glamour.”

“You found it was shallow?” Icarus said apathetically “Meaningless? Empty?”

“At first, but then I began to understand that this kind of work, we're a morale booster, something to make people happy, distract them from the monotony of their lives, or the guard on the boarders. We're helping them get through adversity.”

What!?! Boredom?

“I guess” he conceded finally “As I said, its just hard leaving the detachment.”

“We all know what that's like, but we go where we're told.” she said with compassion

“Yeah, I just wish the bed mattresses had some gravel in them.”

Spitfire chuckled “You think that's bad, wait till you get some hot food”

“What!?! No more MREs? Celestia forbid that I never- nah I can't even play along with that, the food on the base was terrible.”

Spitfire laughed loudly “Any questions before we get there?”

“I assume there are still a few hops to jump through.” Icarus's voice was a lot warmer now

“Well Celestia still needs to sign off on your application”

“Wait, I need to see the princess?” He said, his eyes widening with fear

Spitfire took it as shock “Yes” she said amused “she has a personal interest in the Wonderbolts and I’m taking a risk brining you on board.”

“I see”

This was not part of the plan, Celestia knew him, or she did back years ago. Before the Luna Republic he was in the Solar Secret Service, near the top. He didn't have a name back then, and he had changed a lot, but Celestia... She could pluck thoughts from minds and twist them around, he'd seen it first hand. He was beginning to really hate his namesake.

The cabin darkened as the train travelled into the night, the only light came from the chandelier above which flooded the cool colours of the room with soft warmth. The night slowly passed in the cabin, Spitfire and Icarus talked some more, shared some tasteless jokes about unicorns and earth ponies (“Why does every mare/mare couple have one unicorn?”) while getting through a barrel of Sweet Apple Acres cider. The troubles of the land were slowly melting away as the time for bed approached, but something at the back of his mind was grinding, working out a way to face his former God and not buck it up.

It was hard talking to Spitfire and maintaining perspective. Past the bravado and the military professionalism she was a nice pony, in fact, thinking about it, most were. Sure some were stubborn at times, and you had the odd hoof head that was simply unpleasant, but most were good ponies, happy, blissfully unaware of the foundations in which this “perfect existence” was built upon... and was that so bad? He was a relic from a by gone age, things had changed, and there was peace and happiness for the most part. He had isolated himself as much as he could from the new generation, and he thought that it was because the very way they existed disgusted him to his core, but now he thought it was because... maybe Celestia just made some hard choices, 'sacrificed the few to save the many', and she was right. Because Spitfire, the Military, the ponies... they were good ponies.

“Sleep well?” Spitfire asked walking by the soft bed he was lying on.

He had spent the last few hours alternating between staring out into space and through the window at the sunrise. Sleep he did not, probably not the best idea to face the God/Queen fatigued.

“I never sleep well before a fight.” he said putting on a mock serious tone

“So this is a fight?” Spitfire said mockingly “Who is your enemy? Me or the princess?”

“Myself” He said with a bitter-sweet sigh

“Doubt you can pull this off?” She said with warm inquisitiveness

He rolled over and chuckled “Ha, no, you Wonderbolts ain't seen nothing yet.”

“Such confidence.” She said rolling her eyes

“Hey, facts are facts.”

“Ok fly boy, why are you introspective all the sudden?” She tapped her hoof

Icarus stared at the ceiling for a moment, coming up with the right way to say it “Have you ever held an ideal so close that you ignored all others, even if the all evidence mounted up against it?” he said thoughtfully

“This isn't about leaving is it?” Spitfire probed gently

“Nevermind” Icarus replied with an exasperated sigh as her rolled over to face the window

The light cast down on from the early morning sun filtered through the leaves and branches of a forest; causing the shadows to dance across a meadow. It was simple, but it was beautiful, but again there was that sense that just under the surface was something sinister. Was the sinister part in him? Was it a projection?

“Rightly or wrongly, if you forsake this “ideal”, could you live with your self?” Spitfire said with empathy, interrupting his line of thought.

Icarus rolled over and stared into those big stunning golden eyes filtered through his long black mane that had fallen over his face“...I don't know” he said finally, inner turmoil evident in his tone

Spitfire pushed his hair back out of his face “Well find out, and let me know.” she said finally.

***

Canterlot. It was the same, for the most part, as the old keep in the Everfree forest was back in its heyday, aside from the thatch roofs of the buildings were now all tiled and the masonry was of a higher quality. He had come here to enlist, and once that was out of the way he hoped to never see this place again. Everything screamed of control; he bet the aristocrat ponies with their high fashion and uptight manner never had foals that had a coal miner's cutiemark. That most of them were unicorns was a forgone conclusion; mastery of time and space always came with arrogance. He tried to hide his discomfort, it didn't work.

“Don't worry, you'll get used to it” She said with a happy smile

That’s what he was afraid of.

“Or not.” He said forcing a smile

“Well in that case, we spend most of our time on the road anyway.” She said, still trying to comfort him

“So do you know what the princess is going to ask?” he said changing the subject

“Probably just what I did, only she'll be nicer about.”

“Huh, that's comforting”

They continued through the market quarter, stalls with ponies selling food, clothing and decorations. They got progressively more upper class as they continued towards the palace, less stalls and more actual shops with glass windows. Some had extravagant dresses or suits on display (with ruffles, FAR to many ruffles), others had records and expensive pieces.

“You want me to get you a bracelet or something while you're here?” Spitfire said mockingly, noticing Icarus eyeing a time piece as they walked past a jewellery store

“And what would I do with it?” He said simply, his eyes lingering a second longer

“Wear it Mr Pragmatic!” She said with amused shock “You didn't have nice things as a colt did you?”

Icarus puffed up his chest proudly “I had a cloud, a rainbow and an imagination.”

“That how you got your cutiemark?” Spitfire probed

“Yup, fell off a cloud and landed on a bunny, like a falling dagger” He said as a matter of fact

“Oh yeah? What happened to the bunny?” Spitfire asked with an incredulous inflection

“It was fine.” he said plainly

Spitfire quirked an eyebrow

“It was a dark matter bunny” He said with a sarcastic smile

They finally reached the palace, white guards flanked the hallways and the extravagant gold trim on everything did nothing but remind Icarus how far out of his comfort zone he was. Up the stairs, into the throne room and up a second set of stairs to the left of the main door that lead to a walkway that looked over the court. Then through a door along the wall that lead to a large office with books lined neatly on all the walls, spaced with large windows. A desk was in the centre of the room with another door behind it. They approached the desk, all the while Icarus's sense of foreboding was getting stronger, and he was almost overcome with a feeling of claustrophobia.

“Wait here” Spitfire said warmly “I'll be right back”

And so he was on his own. His mind was racing, his heart pounding, it wasn't right. Something inside him was telling him to fight it, stay strong, but for the first time in his life he wasn't sure if he could.

Finally the door opened and pure white light poured though. The feeling of claustrophobia increased as the elegant Goddess materialised through the light. Her mane seemed to wave like it was caught in a gentle breeze, even though the air was still, no, dead. The pastel colours of it were inviting and the pure white light emanating from her coat was pleasant. Being in her presence was like basking in the morning sun of a warm spring day. Everything was telling him to let his guard down, and he wanted to, Goddess how he wanted to, but something in him fought it. He straightened his posture and stood at attention, something that made those magenta eyes widen.

“Corporal Icarus Nightwing reporting your majesty!” He barked like recruit on his third day at basic

“Really Corporal, there's no need to do that.” The wonderful entities every word flowed though him like silk, demanding him to relax

“Yes your majesty, sorry your majesty.” He forced his body to relax

“So you're Spitfires new bid.” Celestia said warmly, though her voice seemed to probe

“No ma'am, I'm you're new Wonderbolt.” He'd come this far, may as well play the game

Celestia looked to Spitfire with a warm smile “You know how to pick them.”

“Thank you ma'am” Spitfire said with the same pride he felt when Luna had talked to him all those years ago.

Celestia walked around Icarus, slowly studying him.

“Feathers need to be clipped” Celestia said pointing down at the fur hanging over his hooves

“I hope your team set aside the afternoon, it took the barbers eight hours when I enlisted” he said plainly

The room seemed to press down on him more and more. He could feel himself begin to sweat, his legs go weak and begin to wobble from the strain. The God Queen's eyes felt like they were tearing through him, cutting through his coat, his skin, his flesh and his bone; all the way to his core. He was sure it wasn't him who was fighting it any more, but some untold force living within his very soul that rejected the very essence of the majestic creature before him. He felt like he was going to be crushed in between them

“Is something the matter?” the Princess asked warmly

“I... uh... didn't sleep well...” Icarus stammered

“His worlds been turned upside -” Spitfire began

“Its quite alright.” Celestia raised a hoof to interrupt “Cyrus?” she called out to the room she came out of

An older looking grey Stallion appeared in the alcove, wearing a brown robe made of high quality fabric and sparsely adorned with semi precious gems.

“Yes your majesty?” He said in a raspy voice

“Would you be so kind as to show our guest to the visitors tower?” Celestia asked sweetly

“Of course” he said bowing slowly before ushering Icarus out

“You go on Night, I'll catch up to you in a second.” Spitfire said distantly as Icarus exited

***

With Icarus gone Spitfire was expecting a scolding for bringing this weak colt to the Wonderbolts. She was looking down at her hooves with disappointment as Celestia addressed her.

“He reminds me of someone I knew long ago” Celestia said thoughtfully

“Oh really?” She asked, perking up with confusion

“Mmm” Celestia nodded “There is something special about him” she continued using a cryptic tone. She turned her head and looked at Spitfire with soft kind eyes. “What do you think of him, now that you've met him in person?”

“Well, he's cocksure, but in a modest sort of way?”

Celestia laughed “Is that even possible?”

“Yeah, I wouldn't have thought so before meeting him but, he does defiantly seem... different”

“Can you use that?”

“I think even if he was a novice, that kind of Stallion... Yeah I can use that” Spitfire said confidently

“Oh?” Celestia said mockingly

Spitfire's face went red “Not in that way your majesty... I didn't mean...”

“Got yah” She said laughing

“Hehe” Spitfire laughed with an awkward smile “the main thing will be his attitude, he's a bit distracted at the moment.”

“That will change in the morning” Celestia said making her way towards the door to court. “I want him close, something is going to happen soon and I think he'll be at the centre of it all.”

“Understood your maj-” they both stopped as they saw the scene bellow

***

The second Icarus stepped out of that room he felt one hundred percent better, like the vice grip his head was in was instantly released and he could breath again. When he was part of the Solar Empire he knew what the Princess could do, in fact he had suspected that she had done it to him numerous times, but it was a subtle power, you didn't know she was doing it until it was too late. That was... definitely not subtle. Perhaps that’s what saved him, she is so over reliant on those powers she can't see what’s in front of her. Anyway, he had passed the first test... somehow.

He followed Cyrus down the stairs and across court. As they were about to enter the hall down into the eastern wing Icarus stopped and looked back, and saw a sight that made the ordeal that he just went through worth it. In the centre of the court hall was a tall blue mare with wings and a horn, with a moon on her flank and a confused look on her face.

“A lot of visitors find it strange to see our fallen princess back in court.” Cyrus said, noticing the fact that Icarus had stopped moving “I assure you that the remnants of Nightmare Moon have been removed by the Avatars, now if you would please follow me” He nodded to beckon Icarus onward but by the time he had turned back Icarus had already flew half the distance to the Princess; the true Princess.

He landed and trotted up the rest of the way to Luna, only to be stopped by two guards. “Halt” one said “The princess will not be harassed.”

“I don't want to harass the princess, I want to talk to her.” He pleaded, though it was undermined by a tone of annoyance

The Guard stepped forward and began to grow. 5 years he had patiently waited to see his Goddess again, to see if they had really done what he thought they had done. His patience was finally at its end, he matched the guards composure. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed.

“What does thou' want with us?” Luna said, her voice fatigued

Icarus pooped his head over the guards shoulder to look at the blue mare “I wanted to see you my Princess, respects must be paid to both of our leaders” He said, some confusion in his voice, why was she speaking like that?

She nodded the guards away “Pay your respects then subject.” She said softer than before, but Icarus sensed some sadness behind her words.

It wounded him, he had to make it better. Even if she was just a broken shell of the mare he knew, he had to help her.

“My Princess thank you for...” he stopped, thinking that this was sounding too formal for the friendship they had before “You know, ever since you've been back the night seems better.”

“Your tone is too familiar subject.” Luna said, but Icarus sensed a perk in her tone

“I'm sorry, my Princess, but... I know a lot of us are appreciative of Celestia's warm spring days, but I don't know how many us tell you about the cold winter nights.”

“We are listening.” She said curiously

“Every night for a week in the year you returned to us; the clouds came in during the day but were scoured clean by nightfall, each day the snow would fall leaving fresh tundra on the ground, but by the night the sky was clear, lit by the stars and the moon. It was unsafe to go out during the day and at night everyone was in their beds, huddled up for warmth. But for that week I stayed up every night and sat in the still, freezing air on top of my barracks, and looked up at your beautiful sky and watched as glowing green and blue light danced across it. It was the most spectacular thing I have experienced.” He said with a genuine warmth

“We...” the princess was taken aback and hesitated “Appreciate that” she said, almost all the formality fell from her tone

“Hey you” Spitfire said swooping in from the balcony above “I thought you were going to bed?”

“I was, just thought I'd say hello to our other princess.” he said happily

“Spitfire, does thou' know this subject?” Luna asked

“Yes, he's my newest Wonderbolt, Icarus Nightwing”

Luna paused for a second. Icarus was feeling a mix of pure terror and sheer joy; though some miracle his name reminded her of him and all they had done she could accidental out him here, but on the other hand, that chance was worth it.

“Well Icarus, it was a pleasure meeting you.” she said before walking off “We look forward to seeing you around.”

No 'Night', no familiar tone, nothing to imply that she remembered anything about the Luna Republic. With in an instant his hopes were dashed.

'As do we- uh- I mean I.” Icarus stammered

Luna shot back a glance, not scornful or bitter, but loving, like the Goddess he had known from one thousand years ago. That was something, an indication that no matter what had happened to her, the Luna he knew, not the memories or the pain, but the soul of the Moon Goddess was still in there, broken, but there.