• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 720 Views, 13 Comments

A Not So Lovely Change - FromTheMoon



It's funny how a seemingly insignificant change can alter the outcome of events.

  • ...
3
 13
 720

Prologue

Predictable

That was what life in the Crystal Empire had become for the alicorn of love. Predictable, yet there seemed nothing the young ruler could do to change it. Sure she could leave her Northern kingdom on excursions every now and then, but those seem to come too far apart.

Boring on occasion, tedious every fortnight, and down right repetitive once in a blue moon. That seemed to sum up life in the Crystal Empire quite nicely.

There was no denying that Princess Cadance wasn’t happy however, how could she not be? She was the niece of the beloved ruler of Equestria, married to arguably the most handsome and caring stallion she had ever laid her eyes on, sister in law to an amazingly gifted pony, and respected ruler of her own little frozen retreat.

So yes, she was happy, as happy as she could be. That had become a personal mantra of her’s ‘As happy as you can be’. Sure life wasn’t perfect but perfection was out of reach for every creature that walked and breathed in this life. It had dawned on the loving mare early in her life that perfection wasn’t needed to be happy.

Yet that didn’t mean there hadn’t been a night, or two, or even three when she was maturing into the pony that she was now that she hadn’t wished for somethings to be different.

To wish that, even for as little as a day, something in her life was different.

***

It was once again that time of day in Equestria, when Celestia lowered her brilliance into the horizon and Luna raised her beauty into the sky above. The warmth of the day faded and the coolness of night began to set in. All across the land ponies and other creatures shifted into their night time routines. With yawns some entered their homes, others strided out to begin their night lives. It was no different in Equestria’s North.

“All stand at attention for her highness, Princess Cadance.”

Spanning the entire length of the palace’s main corridor stood crystal ponies clad in silver armor, their backs to the wall and eyes glued to the guards standing across the hall opposite of them. Standing in the middle of the corridor was a pegasus, clad head to hoof in golden armor. His gazed fixed on the pony that had just come through the palace’s crystal gate.

“At ease everypony, as you were,” A loud yawn escaped Cadance as she finished her sentence, apparently too loud of a yawn. The alicorn noticed the confused looks the guards were giving her. With a smile and a wave of her hoof they were sent off. They knew the drill by now and each wore content looks on their faces as they made their way out of the palace. Only the princess and pegasus guard remained.

“Your highness.”

“Lt. Flash Sentry.”

“I hate to be a bother, but what would Prince Shining Armor say if he saw his crystal guard waved off like that? He would certainly-”

“He would certainly give you a slap on the back and tell you to loosen up a little. How many times do we have to tell you Flash? When it’s just us you can, as Shining would say, chill out a little. There’s honestly no need for so much formality when it isn’t needed. Now come on, walk with me, talk with me, I’m pretty beat after my little ordeal today.”

The young lieutenant gave a thought to protesting by decided against doing so. It was clearly obvious that his charge was exhausted from her visit to PonyVille. He found this strange, usually when he visited his siblings on leave he came back refreshed and renewed for work. Apparently, if the bags under her eyes were any indication, it had the opposite effect on the princess.

Before he could give it another thought the princess called out to him, “You coming or do plan on standing there like you’re having a staring contest with a cockatrice?”

“A thousand apologies princess, please forgive me, I promise-”

“Flash.”

“I’m sorry again Princess-”

“Flash.”

“Coming!” With a quick gallop the lieutenant caught up with Cadance just as she was turning the corner and making her way up the stairs to the upper levels.

No sooner had he slowed his stride to match hers had she asked him a question, “So same rules as always I’m guessing?”

“If you’re up for it, though you seem kinda out of it today.”

“Yeah, fighting a giant subterranean worm as it’s slimy mouth tentacles wrap around your body will do that to you.”

“I know what you mean, one time me and this other recruit were in the EverFree forest on this training mission when...wait...WHAT!?”

The pegasus stood at the top of the stairway with his jaw hanging open. Cadance simply giggled at his confusion. “Oh, me and Twilight went to the ends of Equestria in order to find this giant flower. Once we plucked it from the ground this giant tentacle mouth worm shot up from the hole and attacked us. It got me first with its moist, warm, throbbing tentacles pulling me towards it mouth.”

Flash’s right eye was twitching now, his mouth still wide open. Half of his mind wanted to tell the princess that there was no need to go into any further detail. The other half wanted her to continue with as many details as possible, even ask if she had any pictures of it.

He never got the chance to decide as Cadance continued her story. “Luckily Twilight was there to save me but just when we thought we were safe the worm decided to attack her. It wrapped its tentacle around one of her hind legs-”

The rest of Cadance’s explanation became inaudible to Flash, his mind danced with the image of the tentacle wrapping itself around Princess Twilight's leg. He imagined it slowly curling up the length of the leg, working its way towards her inner thigh, before finally-

“Uh, Flash?”

“Huh, what, what? I swear I was listening! No wait, I mean I swear that I wasn’t listening! No, hang on, I mean-”

“Flash, you got a little something dripping down your nose.”

Quickly bringing a hoof up, he rubbed his muzzle, looking in shock and embarrassment at the crimson liquid smeared against his hoof. He felt his face heat up and quickly turned to look away in an effort to save some of his dignity. It could have been worse, at least it was just his nose.

“Also you might wanna get your wings checked out. Pretty sure they shouldn’t be that stiff.”

Okay, now it was officially worse.

Out of instinct he began doing what all pegasi had learned to do in their teenage years. He quickly flooded his mind with images of puppy dogs and kitty cats playing in the sunlight and continued to do so until he felt his wings pressed comfortably against his sides again.

Cadance’s laughter was what brought him back into the world. “Honestly Flash, I don’t see why you’re so embarrassed! It’s perfectly natural to-”

“Princess Cadance, with all due respect, you’re honestly not helping.”

The alicorn puffed her cheeks out that. “Fine,” she replied coolly, “Have it your way. I guess it’s my turn now.”

It was a little game that Cadance and Shining Armor had come up with some time ago. The rules were simple, you ask any question and then you had to answer any question, truthfully. So far the only other two ponies they played their little game with was Twilight and Flash Sentry.

“So tell me Flash, any news from my husband?”

Happy for the change in topic, Flash gladly answered with a quick response. “Actually, yes. Prince Shining Armor sends word from Baltimare that the delegations are going well and should be wrapped up in the next day or two.”

That brought a smile to the princess’s face. She felt her heart rate increase at the thought of seeing her Shiny sooner rather than later. “Alright, it’s your turn again Flash.”

Cadance smiled inwardly as she saw a small blush appear on the stallion’s face. She knew exactly what he was going to ask, even if he was having trouble building up the courage to ask his question.

“So…”

“Soooooooooooooooooo?” Cadance replied in a sweet tone.

“So, did Twilight...I mean...Princess Twilight say anything about me?”

Just like that she felt her innards explode from adorableness. Celestia strike her down if she was wrong, but she felt that Flash and her little Twilight were a match made in the heavens. It was almost as if some higher power had dropped the pegasus known as Flash Sentry out of no where into their lives and demanded that he and Twilight be a couple.

Cadance was so lost in her musings that she had completely forgotten about the pegasus guard walking next to her, she also forgot that her bedroom had a solid fire red ruby door as she walked right into it.

With an ‘ooofff!’ that was quickly followed by an ‘ouch’ she fell flat on her rump. An orange hoof extended itself to help her up. “Princess, are you alright?”

“Huh? Oh, yes I’m quite alright.” She took his hoof and raised herself off the ground. Dusting herself off she noticed the stallion seemed to be staring at her expectantly. A few seconds passed before she came to a realization, she hadn’t answered his question.

Unfortunately for him the mare in question really hadn’t said anything about him, openly at least. Being the alicorn of love came with a few perks, one of them was being able to sense the romantic flame that burned inside of ponies. She could sense that Twilight’s flame burned for Flash just as his did for her. With the two being, well, timid when it came to this sort of thing, Cadance only assumed that at some point in the future she would have to play matchmaker. A day she had already begun drawing up plans for.

Seeing that Flash was still waiting for an answer, she rummaged through her mind looking for said answer. She smiled when she found one that worked.

“I don’t know, maybe?” Without saying another word she quickly opened the door to her bedroom, gave her loyal guard a quick wink, and then closed the door behind her with a slight giggle.

Flash Sentry stood in front of the bed chambers for a few moments before he finally comprehended what had happened. He shook his head and smiled, those two things really being the only things he could do. If his princess needed him then she would call for him, with that in mind he made his way towards his own room in the palace, a perk of being a lieutenant for Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor. The night was still young and there was a book as well as a bottle of cider waiting for him in his own chambers.

***

Princess Cadance loved her Shining Armor, she had literally been through Tartarus and back for him. She never had truly recovered from almost losing her beloved once, so it stood to reason that whenever he was away from the Crystal Empire, away from her, that she worried deeply for him. The princess was no fool though, she understood that Shining Armor was a grown stallion and was more than capable of taking care of himself.

Still though, the site of their empty bedroom always formed a knot in her stomach.

With the day over and done with she began to go about her own nightly ritual. Carefully she kicked off her royal golden trappings into one of the room's corners, made her way over to the body mirror that adorned the wall opposite of her bed, removed her modest sized crown, and finally used her magic to tie her mane and tail into ponytails. A quick preening of her wings and one trip to the restroom later and she was ready for bed.

Or, at least she would be, had there not been someone else in the room with her.

“You know,” she calmly called out to the seemingly empty room, “I am not like Princess Celestia and am even further away in similarities from Princess Luna. An audience with me is easier to attain than with them in Canterlot. So tell me, why hide yourself?”

Her gaze shifted around the room looking for any sign of her intruder. Cautiously she made her way over to her bed, taking a seat at the edge, and never taking her eyes of her surroundings.

Exhaustion was quickly building up in her, she really didn’t need this at the moment. “Okay, if you will not reveal yourself willingly then a simple stasis spell on this room should hold you as I go fetch my lieutenant and palace guard to find and take you away.” As soon as she finished her sentence she lit up her horn.

“Strongly recommend against that, fair princess.”

“So, you can speak then? What a relief, her I was thinking you were some foreign assassin or something along those lines. Still though, hearing you is not enough.” Her magic shot out from her horn in a blue wave and washed over the entire room.

Standing in the very same corner she had kicked her trappings off stood a cloaked unicorn figure, their body still glowing with residue from the princess’s magic. “Impressive,” the figure remarked in a feminine voice.

“That’s another relief, here I thought you were a stallion looking for a peep show.” A slight giggle escaped her, the intruder remained silent. “You know you’ll live longer if you laugh?”

“This coming from an alicorn?”

“Fair enough, how about we move on to more serious matters then? Flash Sentry is a lot of things, but a slouch isn’t one of them. He shares my husbands dedication to work and slipping by him is no easy feat. So tell me Ms…”

“Siren.”

“Ms. Siren, what would drive a mare to break into this palace, sneak past my guards, and hide in my room?”

“A business proposition.”

“This business proposition, it couldn’t wait until tomorrow’s day court?”

Siren shook her head, “What I have to offer you is for your ears only. No other is allowed to know.”

Before Cadance could respond her ‘guest’ began making her way towards the princess’s bed. “Before I say anymore, tell me, how did you know I was here? The relics on me should have disguised my magical presence completely.”

The alicorn of love shifted a little on her bed as Siren continued to close the distance between the two. Still though, she remained composed and ready to spring into action if need be. “Your magical presence was completely hidden. It was your flame that gave you away.”

That caused Siren to stop moving, “Flame?” She asked quizzically.

“Almost all creatures born have a flame that burns inside of them, love. If their love is pure and true then it burns warmly, basking those around them in warmth. The opposite is true also, from the moment I entered this room I felt a coldness radiate out from it, a cold flame. This is why it is nearly impossible to sneak up on me since only a loveless creature would be capable of doing so.”

“Fascinating.”

“I like to think so.”

Once again Siren began making her way towards the princess, “Still though, it really changes nothing.” She stopped at the foot of the bed. “Are your ready to listen to my proposition?”

“Perhaps, but first tell me something about yourself. I refuse to enter into a business agreement with a stranger I know nothing about.”

That had bought Cadance some time,precious time that she needed to decide on what to do with this mare. “Seems fair enough, I am an artifact/relic huntress. I travel far and wide looking for powerful magic items that would benefit me.”

It seemed like that was all Cadance was going to get out of her. “Sounds like an adventurous lifestyle. Dangerous too.”

“Extremely dangerous, fair princess. The payoff is more than worth it however, which brings me back to my business proposition. A relic has recently come into my possession that I’m willing to trade in exchange for your help.”

Cadance cocked an eyebrow, her curiosity had been peaked. “You want my help?” She stifled a laugh, “I’m all for helping but unless it's stopping a threat to the state then I’m afraid I must refuse. I’m sure you can find another that would be more than willing to help.”

Siren made her way from the foot of the bed towards Cadance’s side, stopping just at muzzles length away from her. “There is no other pony, griffon, minotaur, or any other creature for that matter that can help me. Not even the other Equestrian princesses. Besides, once you hear what I have to offer I’m sure you’ll be more than willing to help.”

“I live a content life,” Cadance retorted, “What could you possible have that I want?”

“A change.” With that said, Siren leaned in close and whispered something into the princess’s ear. The alicorns eyes went wide from what she was told.

“How could you possibly know that!?” Cadance hastily demanded. “There is no way that you could promise me something like that!”

“I can, and I shall. So what do you say, Princess Cadance? Will you help me?”

Time seemed to have come to a complete standstill. The Princess of Love’s mind raced with what she had just been told. It wasn’t possible, it couldn’t be possible, yet here stood a mare in front of her, full of confidence, who promised the impossible. Could it be true? Was it worth it to trust this mare? With what could she possibly need help with?

“What is it that you want me to do?”

Without wasting anytime Siren quickly pulled out from underneath her cloak what looked like a necklace with a large crystal pendant engulfed in her yellow magic aura. "All you need to do is put this on, that’s all. I promise it won’t hurt.”

“If I do this, you’ll keep up your end of the deal?”

“I’d be a liar and a fool if I didn’t. So, what do you say, fair princess? Do we have a deal?”

It was too good to pass up. It didn’t matter if it was a ruse, she had to try. If she didn’t then she pondered how many countless nights she would remain awake wondering ‘What if’? She felt a lump build in her throat. No, there was no turning away from this. She closed her eyes and nodded in agreement.

“You have a deal.”

“Excellent. Now here, put this on.”

Cadance did as she was told. She found it strange how the pedant felt heavier than it actually looked. It also seemed like her imagination was playing tricks on her, she could swear that she could feel the warmth of a tiny flame coming from inside the pendant.

“What do I do now?”

“Think of what it is that you want to change.”

“Okay, then what?”

“Nothing really, I’ll take over from here.” Siren lowered her head so that the tip of her horn touched the pendant hanging from the necklace.

“Change,” She said quietly before the two ponies were engulfed in a pink and yellow flash that quickly spread to engulf the entire palace, Crystal Empire, and the lands in all directions.