• Published 7th Mar 2014
  • 636 Views, 2 Comments

The Woods Are Lovely, Dark and Deep - ngrey651



How did Sombra become what he became? Let's take a look back at how the Shadowlord was forged.

  • ...
11
 2
 636

The Shadow of War

The sun gently beamed down upon Ponyville as its residents milled about nervously, muttering and murmuring softly to themselves as they watched the scene unfold inside of Applejack’s barn at Sweet Apple Acres. Big Mac gave the crowd a calm “please do not try anything” glance as Twilight Sparkle trotted through the crowd to speak with him, smiling nervously as she glanced at the barn.

“How goes the naturalization classes?” Twilight asked. “I know the crowds aren’t as big as they used to be but the fact we’re still GETTING crowds to look and stare like they’re bugs on display or animals in a zoo-”

“Ain’t nobody caused no trouble. Eeeee-YET.” Big Mac remarked with a calm nod as he shook his big red head back and forth, Applejack poking her head out of the barn and giving Twilight a wave to get her to come over. Twilight calmly headed over towards her Stanton-wearing pal, Applejack smiling cheerily.

“I gotta tell you, they’ve been SO well behaved.” Applejack admitted. “Ain’t anything like those others we met way back when. Almost seems like another lifetime.”

“For them, this is just a matter of re-adjustment. Just a short while ago they were in a society that adored and respected their abilities. Then they were displaced through time and space to end up here…of course they want some semblance of their old life back.” Twilight reasoned as Shinedown and Squirt sat at the front of a large circle filled with various “Ghainahm” changelings, all of whom were nervously fiddling with their manes or chewing their lips or glancing about at each other in between sips of cider.

“Now…” Shinedown held up a large picture of Princess Celestia from a suitcase Squirt was holding onto, smiling comfortingly with his deep blue eyes, pointing at it with his other hoof. “Which princess is this?”

One middle-aged “Keobjil” changeling, an example of the thick-bodied, bulky “Earth” esque variety of Changeling raised a hoof up. “Er…it’s…the queen of the Sun, Celestia?”

“You’re right, but please, please. They’re Princesses.” Shinedown insisted as he put the photo away and gestured over at Twilight. “Ms. Sparkle, would you be so kind as to explain WHY we do not refer to the head of our dual monarchy as “queens” despite their parents being long deceased?”

“The title of “queen” is given post-mortem, a sign that the Princesses have learned all they can from their subjects and done the greatest good they could with their lives. With the title “princess” comes an understanding there is much they’ve still to understand and know…it’s how its been for eons.” Twilight informed the changelings. “I understand it wasn’t the same for your race?”

“No, ah…we had the King and Queen.” The beefy changeling admitted as the others nodded in agreement. “The Queen was actually half Sugnbohn. Their marriage was as a perfect union of the Changeling races. We NEEDED unity because the War Games was spilling out of the battlefield and into our homes.”

“Yes, we remember the stories well.” An older Ilgagsu remarked, waving it’s arm in the air and shuddering slightly. “Some of us actually had families who endured the horrors of that time, my own father included.”

“I’d like to hear more, if I could. I’ve been reading so much about your king, about Sombra.” Twilight admitted with a nod as the Changelings glanced around at each other before looking over at Shinedown, who gave them a reassuring nod as Applejack got Twilight a chair and she inched in to join the Changelings, all of whom finally nodded at the old Ilgagsu as he cleared his throat.

“I’ll tell you all my father told me. The War Games were designed to gather territory and power in a more…civilized fashion. Only a certain few would fight for the sake of a country…a life and death tournament spread over several weeks. Then, after the conquest of Manechuria, the Minotaurs decided they didn’t like the idea of having their homeland of Isla Regina being next in line. They decided to strike first…”

… “They utterly overwhelmed three fifths of the defenses, sir.” A slim Nabang changeling shamefully admitted, holding his hooves together as he stood before the glittering two-way mirror communication system that Lord Seoul Nyh-Tyaim was speaking into in his palace. Sombra’s father was clearly not pleased, his mouth a taut line as he glared balefully at the captain of the guard. The lands of the Changeling Kingdom had only ONE section that ended in water. ONE rather large but still manageable beach to keep an eye on which, if you followed south, led to the Minotaur lands of Isla Regina, a collection of beautiful islands all gathered together as one. One beach. ONE. Beach.

“How many dead?”

“…er, uh…Otam? Uh…how many of our forces did we lose?” The quivering captain of the guard inquired as his assistant held up a small clipboard and put on a pair of reading glasses, cringing slightly as he looked the numbers over.

“538.”

“…out…of a thousand…troops. A thousand…troops. To guard one beach. An admittedly very LARGE…beach. But one beach.” Sombra’s father softly whispered, eyes glittering like diamonds left in a cold blizzard, piercing through the icy mists. “You couldn’t…even…how did they even get up to Ebony Shores without you SEEING?!” Lord Seoul Nyh-Tyaim wished to know, gritting through his teeth as he stood in his private bedroom, unaware that his son and his daughter were listening in through the window outside, keeping close to the wall, eyes bugged out in horror, hearing their father’s tone beginning to get soft…soft, but with an edge.

“They came at darkest night, and as you know the sands of Ebony Shores are murky black, my lord! Their first forces were all of the darkest fur, deep browns and blues and black as they snuck along the beach. By the time we noticed they were upon us, they had already begun slitting our throats.” The captain of the guard gulped out. “There was little we could do, and what we did do, we DID, I assure you-!”

“…Gahn…I’m not happy.” Seoul murmured softly, calmly waving a hoof in the air, shaking his head back and forth. “Not very happy at all. And I am very…very torn. How many years have you worked for me?” He wished to know as Sombra stiffened. Oh dear.

“Luza, cover your ears.” He whispered out, his sister glancing up in confusion. “NOW.”

“S-Sixteen, sir?” Gahn gulped as Seoul calmly licked his lips, Otam going “eek” as he inched slightly away.

“Gahn…you have just overseen the greatest security breach in my rule. An actual minotaur army has gotten through our southern border and is most likely even now on it’s way here to the capital.” Lord Seoul Nyh-Tyaim remarked, calmly pacing back and forth. “I can’t very well allow someone to keep working for me who couldn’t even sound the alarm whilst the invasion was happening. You MUST understand…correct?”

“S-Sir, I promise you, I’ll do better!” Gahn whimpered as Seoul glanced at Otam, Sombra quickly placing his hooves over his sister’s ears as she blinked stupidly up at him, a dark, powerful shadowy blob rising up from Lord Seoul Nyh-Tyaim’s form, slithering like a giant snake towards the mirror, seeping into it like water.

“Otam…you’re now in charge. Congratulations. Gahn…” Lord Seoul whispered, eyes turning to slits as the blobbish black monstrosity swiftly began wrapping around Gahn, tightening it’s grip, Sombra hearing the KRIKK-KRAK of bones and shattering ribcages as Gahn struggled to scream, his windpipe being uselessly crushed, his mouth becoming filled with the dark as it enveloped and consumed him. “…your services are no longer required.”

Sombra almost vomited as Gahn managed to get out a gurgling gasp before the shadow shot back through the mirror, taking an enveloped, shrinking Gahn with it. Seoul Nyh-Tyaim calmly trotted out of the room, nonchalantly sweeping his tail back and forth. “Ohhhhh…” He inwardly cringed.

“I really must do more thorough background checks on my captains. There must be SOME way to weed out the most incompetent. Clearly the old system’s just not up to snuff…why can’t they offer to commit seppeku like in my father’s time? THEN you knew they were truly the stuff captains were made of. But no, no, no concept of real shame…such a waste.” Seoul Nyh-Tyaim muttered as he exited the room, Luza pulling Sombra’s hooves away from her ears.

“Sombra, what happened?”

“…Luza, listen, father…father does some bad things sometimes. But he does it because he wants to keep our kingdom safe, and if he can’t trust the people he chooses to keep the kingdom safe, then he feels WE aren’t safe, and if he feels WE aren’t safe, then…he becomes very angry. And does bad things. Do you understand?” Sombra asked, gently kneeling down and holding little Luza’s hooves in his own, her eyes staring nervously into his.

“But…hurting others is wrong…” Luza mumbled.

“Sometimes you need to do wrong things to protect the ones you care about. It doesn’t make you a bad pony.” Sombra insisted gently. “I mean, you hurt that fish, but you’re not a bad pony, are you? You didn’t WANNA hurt it.”

“…no…” Luza mumbled as her brother tenderly hugged her, stroking the top of her head and her perfect bowl haircut. “I just…I wish Dad wasn’t so scary sometimes.”

“Yes…me too.” Sombra shyly murmured, Luza closing her eyes and embracing him more tightly as he slightly chewed on his lip, an odd fear creeping into his heart. A minotaur army on the move…and his father doing something Sombra had only seen done ONCE before of someone who’d gotten drunk and hit Sombra by accident.

He wasn’t sure how, but something told him that things were going to get worse far quicker than they’d get better.

…Sombra and his family lived in the center of the capital, a towering series of buildings surrounded by enormous walls, with the rest of the capital sectioned off by similar walls, all of which was protected by, you guessed it, one gigantic wall that separated it from the outside world. It was much like a matryoshka doll, the capital of Gojoseon. And the closer to the capital you were, the more precious you were to society, with the military at home when they weren’t on duty just across the wall from the palace. Every sector of Gojoseon had unique coloration to boot, with the capital being a beautiful blue, the military sector a vivid green, the merchant and market sector pale yellow, and all others in the last sector, home to buildings of deep grey and black. And it was this city that Sombra was now being brought through to the market sector by his mother and father as he carried Luza on his bag with a piggyback ride, all of them flanked by guards.

People cast nervous glances at the royal family as Lord Seoul Nyh-Tyaim casually glanced about at them, as if daring any fools to just TRY and attack his family as they trotted along the sleek golden-painted brick roads of the merchant sector. A few of them almost looked tempted…the Shadowlands, Kingdom of Lord Seoul, welcomed any and all species into its borders…provided they pay their taxes. And if you couldn’t pay, well…

“MMMM…” Sombra murmured as the smell of divinely-seasoned meats and spices drifting through the air as Sombra sniffed and sniffed, licking his lips. “Oh, myyyy. I smell a fresh roast.”

“You smell what shall be our dinner tonight, son. I’m buying the finest roast I can.” Lord Seoul Nyh-Tyaim proclaimed as the guards moved slightly to the side to allow him to approach the shopkeeper, a normal griffon who calmly bowed its head, Sombra nervously realizing what animal his father wanted to get for dinner as he carefully glanced over at his mother with a “You’d better distract Luza somehow” glance.

“Honey, I’m going to take Luza and get some spices, is that alright?” Mina Nyh-Tyaim quickly inquired, Lord Seoul nodding firmly as Luza hopped off of Sombra and trotted away with Mina and a small contingent of guards as the griffon patted the wrapped-up specimen he’d brought out from a large crate.

“As with all meat, we’ve kept it freshly cooled and chilled…and I know of your particular tastes, sir. I hope I’m not off when I suggest you would favor…this kind of dinner tonight?” The esagle-like griffon inquired, it’s thick black talons pulling off the wrap around the meat, showing off a large female pony which looked fairly young, who’d been carefully sheared and was…evidently still slightly alive, just…heavily sedated, most likely by a mixture of special griffon spices and the cold barrel she’d been stuck in.

Sombra almost felt guilty. She had very lovely deep orange eyes and a well-trimmed mane. He gave her terrified eyes a sympathetic look as his father felt up her form, squeezing her arms, then her cheeks. “How deep is the sedation?”

“We use the finest moonjuice flowers to baste her body in and prepare her for cooking, she’ll be unable to move for eight more hours.”

“Good, good. Well in time for dinner.” Sombra’s father remarked happily as he chuckled and patted the pony’s rump, glancing around at some of the other merchants. “This is what happens when you don’t pay your taxes! Do you all think laws are just there to be IGNORED? This little foal did. And she now pays the price. REMEMBER THAT.” He growled out…

Before a loud shriek filled the air along with an explosion that rocked the market sector, Sombra immediately taking off in its direction, instantly recognizing that voice. Hot sulphur seemed to burn the air around him as he zoomed past screaming, running merchants and customers, seeing the guards who’d been with his mother and sister dead…

No, not all…a few were helping some minotaurs up from the ground, giving them weapons as another advanced along with other enormous bull-headed terrorists, creeping towards Luza and Mina. His sister hid behind his mother as Mina’s eyes glittered darkly, her tone harsh. “Traitors! Come no closer or I kill you where you stand!”

“There’s a dozen of us and one of you.” One of the minotaurs snarled. “You two will be a good reminder to Sombra of why our nation shouldn’t be fooled around with, and with the death of the tyrants, our comrades shall-”

“I’m sorry, you said…a DOZEN?” Sombra’s voice rang out as the others turned, seeing Sombra’s horn sticking through the chest of one of the minotaurs, blood dripping down in a small pool beneath as he shoved him off the horn with a hoof as it glowed, greenish energy coalescening around him as he hissed furiously. “Make. That. Eleven.” He grinned coldly, surging towards them like a lion going after a gazelle.

He leapt up through the air, avoiding the sweep of a minotaur’s blade and slamming his hooves into another, knocking him down, then wheeling around and kicking another into it’s comrades. He slammed his horn into the first downed minotaur’s skull, a horrifying cracking noise indicating the thing’s skull was crushed as he whipped about, snorting furiously as his tail lashed the air. The traitorous guards took off running, some of the minotaurs with them whilst the remaining terrorists all banded together, holding up nets and tridents.

“Oh, so that’s how you work, is it?” Sombra softly whispered as one of the minotaurs glared angrily, its thick hair standing on end as it launched the net at Sombra Nyh-Tyaim only for the Changeling to snap his head forward, the green energy around him cutting through the net and slamming into the minotaur as it glanced down, noticing it was…awfully red in the middle-

The thing died without a sound, its body falling to the ground of the market in two neat pieces with a squelchy, wet THLUKA-THUD, Sombra smirking before noticing that one of the minotaurs was missing. The one who’d been talking, where-

“GOTCHA!” The minotaur’s apparent leader smirked, his net coming down on Sombra, holding his trident up high as it glittered in the sun and he grinned toothily. “Not so tough in this magic net, are you?”

“Your net capable of handling transfiguration?” Sombra cheerily inquired to the stunned minotaur…as his body suddenly began to pulsate and shift, turning into a burning blazing shadow that rose high up over the minotaur, his eyes like glistening emeralds in a dark cave, his shadowy form like a bonfire that surged over the minotaur, silencing its screams as Mina covered Luza’s eyes, her own wide with horror as the remaining minotaurs were pulled into the darkness, howling, screaming, their bodies devoured piecemeal…

At last, it was over. Sombra’s form slowly began to shift back to normal, his arms and legs becoming less black and more grey, his shadow wings fading as his fangs slightly lowered in size. In that form he looked more “Changeling monster” and less “pony”…an unfortunate necessity. He and his family had naturally greyish fur over the normal black that Ghainahm had, and the “holes” on their bodies were always covered up by the armor they always wore. It was so easy to pass as normal ponies…well, MOSTLY normal-looking ponies.

Except when they made use of the way of the Shadow…when they could Will themselves into a new, dark form. More primal…bestial…deadly.

“…they got away.” Sombra admitted softly. “Mother, sister, are you alright?” He asked, racing to them, Luza whimpering a bit before wiping her nostrils.

“J-Just…just fine, they…they didn’t touch me, momma made sure.” She muttered out as Sombra gently embraced them both, his father racing over to him. As they all tightly hugged, Sombra inwardly stewed. He wasn’t…satisfied.

They’d almost killed his family.

…they needed to pay.

And he had. Their. Scents.

a district far away from the capital center…the building is mere yards from the outside world, the security guards on the wall unaware…or perhaps even IN…on who’s inside this broken-down restaurant.

The minotaurs inside are something of a concern. Something. But not when they’re distracted, talking to the changeling guards by that big window. That big…very easy to look INTO window.

And you call yourselves GUARDS.

Two thin, sharp dots shoot through the windows, sticking into the weak spot of every minotaur…the nape of their neck. Their leader whips his head in their direction, gasping in surprise as Sombra slams through the window, shattering it into pieces and shattering HIS neck with a well-placed kick, a very loud KRUNCHA-THRUK noise indicating he’s done it in one shot as the guards all step back in horror, Sombra landing on the floor with a small something sticking out from a pouch on his belt, of faded red as the traitorous guards take a step back.

“Hold on.” Sombra says calmly, dusting himself off as he rises up, holding a hoof in the air. “I’m going to win. We all know that.”

“We don’t-” One of the guards tries to say before Sombra puts the hoof to the guard’s lips, silencing him.

“Shh-shhh-shhh-shhh-shhhhh. No. No, we do. We do. But I shall be fair. See…I’ve brought a little something.” Sombra remarked, holding up the red thing from his pouch…a scarf. A scarf he ties around his head, obscuring his vision. “I need to have real opponents. After all, war is coming. I should be on the front lines, winning it for my father, and I’ll need this kind of practice.”

“You’ll get KILLED.” One of the other guards said, two of the others glancing at each other as if half unable to believe their good luck, and half thinking that this was still going to be a one-sided slaughter.

“Yes, well…I could. But I’ve been getting quite good at what little practice I HAVE done at fighting blind with father…” Sombra remarked. “In fact, he got me this scarf for my birthday. Extra little present. It’s important to…dress for success.” The Changeling remarked calmly as he took up a fighting position, spreading his legs slightly wide, body tensed.

“WE’RE going to be the ones who succeed!” One of the guards yelled out, lunghing forward, slicing with his sword.

Too loud. How idiotic. Yes, I’m going to VERY LOUDLY ANNOUNCE EXACTLY WHICH DIRECTION I AM COMING AT YOU. Why not just scream “I am attacking you from your left” at me?

THA-WHIP. The sword swished overhead, Sombra ducking, a quick SPAK ringing through the air as Sombra batted the guard across the face, then kicked him through the nearest wall, two of the other guards racing towards Sombra, trying to go for “safety in numbers”.

“You don’t understand-”

“No, no, I do.” Sombra softly intoned, twirling his body, his hooved fists finding guard face as he avoided their strikes, the first of them getting knocked back, the other getting kicked in the stomach, then bashed over the head. “I’ve heard of what concerns my father. Enemies closing in. A fear that we’re spread too thin…and you rats jump ship at the first sign of trouble. Don’t tell me you thought the minotaur’s assassination plot would succeed just because they got lucky at the beach? It was a clever plan…but they’re Just. Not. Good. Enough.” Sombra proclaimed, diving at the last guard as he tried to take off running…

Across the very creaky floor.

Sombra dove, pinning him to the ground, the scarf still wrapped around his eyes. But he didn’t need to see to hear his foe’s fear. “Prince Sombra, please. Just let us go. Lord Seoul doesn’t have to know.”

“You’re going back to the Shadows. Whether you like it…or NOT.” Sombra whispered, his eyes beginning to brightly glow a sickly neon green. “Nowwwwww. Tell me…tell me everything the minotaurs told you. Where…are they hiding? Will you obey?”

“…yes…master…”

Sombra smiled. It was amazing how quickly one very rotten day could change so quickly. Father was going to be so proud.