• Published 6th Nov 2011
  • 1,159 Views, 8 Comments

Cognitive Dissonance - HolyJunkie



Every pony in Equestria is born with something that makes them special. One was born to be a fighter

  • ...
2
 8
 1,159

Part 5

COGNITIVE DISSONANCE
PART 5

It was late evening the next day by the time Kurt arrived at Manehattan. The angled-roofed and flat-topped buildings and straight walls made the whole city look entirely different compared to Canterlot- with its streamlined spires with hundreds- nay, thousands of architectural influences applied to its construction. Manehattan was a lot simpler, with buildings that served to function, rather than be individual works of art like the spires of Canterlot.

Despite all the good things Kurt wanted to say about the architecture of Manehattan, they ultimately were inferior to Canterlot's buildings, since... well, it's the Capital City of Equestria, after all. Obviously the royalty would be given the best by the subjects who respect them so, and those who live near royalty would have the budget to pay those highly-respected craftsponies and architects to design another spire among the hundreds that comprised the Equestrian Capital.

In Manehattan, Kurt avoided the main roads. He knew his scratched-up armour was definitely not inconspicuous. If he was to disguise himself better, he'd need to clean up everything. He needed soap and water, at least. A public bathroom would serve nicely as a cover for him to change and clean up- but he'd need to find one.

Such a public bathroom was surprisingly enough easy to find. Near the edge of the city was a public park- complete with a building dedicated to restrooms. The city never sleeps, but the night life was a lot more reserved than the daytime... apparently. Kurt had a feeling that the surprising lack of ponies out on the road implied that. The bathroom was lit, so Kurt could see what he was doing. He reorganized everything in his saddle bags so he could fit the formal suit jacket, then started washing his gear with soap and water.

It wasn't anywhere near the quality as the cleaning methods back in the barracks, but it'll do. The dirt washed off nicely, leaving only the scratches. Kurt couldn't do anything about the real damage in the armour suit- all the deep scrapes and scratches were there to stay. At least he looked decent.

Now that he looked more dignified, Kurt could come across as a guard on-duty. With a laid-back gait, Kurt left the restroom and patrolled the streets. Hopefully no real guard would take notice that the current guard population suddenly increased by one. His goal was simple: find a now hiring poster for the Equestria Construction Service... or the main building if he was lucky. He could just ask around the assorted night life, hope somepony had an idea.

Kurt spotted an upper-class-looking pony couple, so he approached them. "Excuse me, sir and ma'am," he greeted.

"Kurt?" asked the male. After a split second, the ex-guard realised that it was Silver! Kurt's face got ridden with a huge smile. How convenient can his expedition into an unknown city get?

"Silver? Judy?" Kurt asked, "By Celestia! How are you guys?"

"We just got back from our vacation," Judy replied. "What about you? Why are you here; in uniform, even?"

Kurt flinched. That's right, he told them he wasn't a guard anymore. "Well, it's my uniform straight from the locker. I just needed to borrow it so I could find Cor."

They both gave Kurt odd looks, but they thankfully decided to dismiss their suspicions. "Still looking for him?” Silver commented, “It's been two weeks now, I think.”

"Yeah, and I've gotten back to Canterlot to look around," Kurt replied, "And I think... I'm getting more and more certain Mum and Dad are behind this."

Both Silver and Judy paused, and lost their own warm expressions. Kurt nodded in a ‘Yeah, I can't believe it either’ sort of fashion.

"And that brought you here?" Judy asked.

"Dad works for the Equestria Construction Service, so I need to see him," Kurt replied grimly. "Speaking of which: do you know where the ECS building is?"

"It's on the West End," Silver replied, "Actually, we'll take you there. It's on the way home."

Kurt nodded his thanks, and joined them. "So how was your vacation?" Kurt asked as they trot their way through Manehattan.

"Ponyville was such a nice little town," Judy said, "Although a dragon had set up a nest nearby for hibernation, and was covering the area in dreadful smoke."

Kurt cocked an eyebrow. A dragon setting up shop and covering Equestria in smoke? That sounded almost inconsiderate of the dragon.

"Anyway, the mess was sorted out before any permanent damage was done," Judy continued, It was rather interesting- to say the least. We've never seen a dragon before- aside from that cute little guy at the Library."

Kurt smiled. Spike was a cute little guy, wasn't he?

The conversation dissolved into Silver and Judy giving Kurt a bit of a tour, pointing out some buildings and what they were for. They also pointed out company buildings either of them did work for- whether it's Silver for his business, or Judy with her art. They passed by a museum. Judy reminded Kurt that she had some pieces set up in there. Kurt wanted to check them out, but it was nighttime; the museum was obviously closed.

Eventually, they arrived near the ECS building. It was rather easy to spot from the rest. A giant back-lit sign depicted "ECS" near the top of the east side of the skyscraper.

"Well, here's your stop, Kurt," Silver said, "Just promise us something."

"Anything," Kurt responded.

"Try not to get anymore scars."

Both males laughed, but Kurt understood completely; The manticore scars by themselves were a pain, and they were conspicuous. Getting more would do nothing but make him look even less appealing than he already is.

Once the couple vanished into the night, Kurt approached the building. The doors were locked, but there was a security pony sitting behind a large console obviously filled to the brim with monitors connected to all-seeing cameras.

Kurt knocked on the door and produced his badge. He hoped the security guard would see that the badge was real and not get that officially, the owner of the badge was dead.

The security pony approached the door, and Kurt flashed his badge. No questions asked; the security pony opened the door and let Kurt in. "Is something wrong, officer?" the security pony asked.

"I'm looking for Karl Foalington," Kurt replied, "I've got a few questions to ask him.”

The security pony got behind the desk again and grabbed a phone. After a few button presses, the guard said, "Mr. Foalington, there's someone who wants to see you."

"Tell him it's a business proposal," Kurt whispered.

"It's a pony hoping to pitch a business proposal," the guard replied. After another pause, the security guard nodded. "I'll send him up."

The guard hung up and looked at the ex-guard. "Has Mr. Foalington done something illegal?"

Kurt started toward the elevator and replied, "If I'm right, yes."

The third elevator on the left was open. Kurt trotted in and watched the doors close behind him. The elevator shot up, catching Kurt off-guard. As he rode the elevator, he was thankful that Silver and Judy were oblivious to what Kurt had planned to do. He didn’t think anypony would’ve wanted to know. After a few seconds, the elevator finally stopped. The doors opened, and Kurt trotted out.

The fighting horse continued down the one corridor available to him. He was looking for his Dad's office. Foalington... Foalington... There's Mareisson, Stall, Capony, Trotter, MacColterman... Ah, there it is. Behind the door labeled "K. FOALINGTON," answers awaited.

Kurt softly opened the door and entered.

"No..." came the immediate response from the only other pony in the room.

"Hi, Dad," Kurt said through gritted teeth. His hind leg closed the door just as softly.

Karl Foalington reached for the intercom, but the ex-guard displayed his own speed. He bounded across the room and slammed an armoured hoof into the intercom, smashing it to pieces.

"Kurt!" Karl stumbled backwards out of his chair, "My, how you've grown, son!" he added in an almost proud fashion.

Even an idiot could tell that the father was just trying to play nice. "Where is Cor?" Kurt growled as he approached his surprisingly smaller father.

"Cor? He's missing. I've been trying to-"

Kurt gave an unamused expression. "The pieces fit together, Dad. Kidnapping Cor so he couldn't be influenced by me. It all works out, because neither you or Mom ever come home. My disappearance is like sending me off to camp and moving- except you save money."

"That's- That’s not true!” Karl Foalington stammered, “Somepony's been lying to you-"

"Then who,” Kurt interrupted, “Has the motive and ability to send somepony to burn our house down in Canterlot? This is a construction company, with heavy machinery. The heavy machinery would need fuel. You therefore have access to fuel."

Kurt's father scrambled to the right, but the ex-guard kept himself between the panicking elder and the door. "Our house?"

"Rather, my house. I've lived in that house more than you or mom ever did combined. I took care of it. You got somepony to burn it down and make it look like an accident. I guess ye didn't count on me coming back to Canterlot."

Karl Foalington didn't speak. He was too busy whimpering. Kurt saw himself in his father at this point- back in that one foxhole, surrounded by an angry family.

Kurt was angry. "Horse apples aside, Dad," he continued mockingly, "Where is Cornelius Foalington?"

"You're a bad influence, Kurt! You're Celestia-damned mental! I never wanted a son like you! Do you know how much your mother cried on flights? At night? In her own office? She was crying because of you, son! She was crying because you're the biggest mistake we've ever ma-"

Kurt lunged, and started punching his Dad in the face. All these beyond-offensive insults thrown at once. The worm thrived on this to the point where the fighting horse's civil side got left in the dust.

Regaining control, the ex-guard stopped and shoved his dad onto a sofa on the side. In the same manner as when he taunted the Manticore, Kurt barked, "Call me a mistake one more time, Dad. I dare you."

"Cor's destined to be his own stallion. He doesn't want you, Kurt. Nopony wants you in their lives! Equestria is about creating new things! What do you have to add?"

Kurt punched Karl again. The older stallion spat out teeth and blood. "Exactly that, my boy," Karl Foalington laughed in agony. "Heh... I still call you "Son," but... this is all you're good for. You're only good for violence."

Kurt huffed, then replied, "I don't deny it, Dad, but I still know justice. I just want to make sure he's safe."

"Go to Hell, Kurt,"

Kurt twitched. He was hoping he'd get something out of his dad at this point. The worm in his brain continued chewing, so the fighting horse grabbed his father by the collar and pulled him out the door.

Down the corridor and into the nearest bathroom. The ex-guard didn't care if a security camera was installed.

"To think I still love you for bringing me to Equestria," Kurt muttered. His eyes started tearing up as he stood his dad up- leaning the badly-beaten elder stallion near the sink. "I... really am thankful," he continued.

Karl shivered as he attempted to keep himself up. His son once again was the only obstacle between himself and the door. What was Kurt doing?

"Still, kidnapping is a crime... I'm letting you off with a warning because you're family... However, if you don't tell me where Cor is, so I can finally make sure he's safe... and finish business before I leave your lives for good..." Kurt lightly punched both forehooves together, "I will go and ask Mum- but that would mean I'd need to make sure she doesn't know I'm coming after her."

"You wouldn't!" Karl slurred through missing teeth and a busted jaw.

"The security pony didn't lie. I did come with a business proposal," Kurt said, "Let me see Cor one last time, and you will not only walk away from this whole thing with the rest of your content, comfortable lives left... but I will put all the effort in the world to make sure you will never hear from me ever again."

Karl stumbled. Apparently the pain from a busted mouth finally got to him. Kurt turned on the sink and splashed water over his dad's face. With his hooves, Kurt snapped his father's jaw back together. The water and sharp pain woke up his father again.

"Did you miss any of that?" Kurt asked.

"You still care about family after what you just did to me?" Karl asked weakly.

"You raised me right," Kurt replied, "Actually, Kaia raised me right. Send her flowers next chance you get."

"Cor's in... in Baltimare... Vera has him..."

"Now here's another thing you should know: If you warn her so she can get better security, I will not only break through every single guard they throw at me, but... well, you know..."

Karl Foalington stumbled and dropped to the floor- now sobbing himself. Kurt picked up his father and carried him back to the office.

"So long, Dad," Kurt said before leaving.

Inside the elevator, Kurt wiped off the blood. On the way to the ground floor doors, Kurt passed by the security pony- who seemed rather concerned. "You look like you got hit by a train, officer," said the security pony.

"Mentally... yeah," Kurt replied. "What's the fastest way to Baltimare?"

"Train, I guess," the security pony replied, almost smiling at the so bad it's good joke.

"Thanks," Kurt said before leaving. He didn't ask where the train station was, figuring he would find a map easily. The security guard locked the door behind the ex-guard, then galloped to the elevators. Kurt figured the guard was going to see Mr. Foalington and his condition.

Outside on the streets again, Kurt scanned for an open corner store, or somepony who he could request directions from. Manehattan never sleeps, so finding such a pony was easy to do. The first pony Kurt found was kind enough to point out the railway station. After a quick thanks, Kurt continued on.

Surprisingly enough, he hadn't come across any other Royal Guards. Was there a subdivision dedicated to Manehattan? Have they not received word that Kurt was on the loose? Heck, why did Baton and the others call off the search when they were mere inches away from catching Kurt. What kind of orders requires immediate attention that takes priority over even tracking those last few inches?

Nothing made sense anymore... Now he just wanted to see his little brother again, then disappear- possibly from Equestria entirely. This whole situation was tiring, and Kurt hadn't even had a decent bed since his home burned to a crisp.

The train station seemed rather foreboding, as if it had been used as a location for many suspenseful movies filmmaker ponies made. Kurt heard that Manehattan had such theatres, and figured he would visit one once this was all over... before escaping Equestria, anyway.

The ex-guard clambered up the stairs, suddenly noticing that he was feeling weak in every muscle in his body. Kurt had failed to notice that his legs were so beaten from the run down the mountain, the constant walking, and beating and carrying his father. The saddle bags and armoured uniform certainly didn't help, but the latter certainly prevented cuts or bruises, or even worse things. The ex-guard collapsed at the top of the entrance stairs, unable to continue onward.

Despite that, he still wasn't mentally fatigued. He remained awake, looking at the ground, and the doors that he could almost smell, or taste if he could stretch his tongue out a few feet.

Summoning more strength from seemingly nowhere, Kurt managed to drag himself to the door, and pulled himself inside.

A single employee was on-duty that night, and she immediately raced to Kurt's side, with the usual "Are you okay, officer?" question.

"Fine, actually," Kurt said, "Just overworked."

The younger filly lifted Kurt onto his hooves. Kurt felt a familiar sensation similar to the unicorn that helped the bullies back at graduation. The employee was a unicorn. She was straining to keep the ex-guard up, obviously not well-practiced in the usual magic most- if not all unicorns possess.

"I want to get a train to Baltimare," Kurt said.

"Not in your condition, you're not," the filly replied sternly, managing to get Kurt to lean on a rail before she lost control of her magic.

"It's imperative that I get on the first train going there," Kurt replied.

After a sigh, the employee panted, "Well, the next train to Baltimare isn't coming for another hour.” She was catching her breath from the strain of the magic. Kurt kept both his forelegs on a railing to keep himself up.

"Let's get you to the loading dock at least. There are some seats there," she said, offering to carry the saddle bags.

Kurt would've shrugged, but he was too exhausted at this point. The young unicorn’s horn lit up again, sliding the bags off of Kurt’s back. She seemed shocked at how heavy it all was. Even Kurt wondered why it felt like a massive weight had been removed.

"Well no wonder you're exhausted," the filly exclaimed, putting down the saddle bags before hurting herself. She used her telekinesis, of course. Given that she almost overexerted herself by lifting up Kurt, she had a not easy time carrying the bags. At least Kurt was able to walk again without collapsing.

"Really, thanks," Kurt said.

"Part of the job, sir," the filly replied through clenched teeth as she continued carrying the saddle bags via magic.

Eventually, she managed to place the saddlebags on the bench, and Kurt finally collapsed as well, with no intention of getting up anytime soon.

She was panting like crazy. Kurt wondered if he should be grateful he wasn't born a unicorn- with such an energy-spending gift such as that crazy magic stuff. At the same time, magic would make his life a lot easier.

"I'm Porta," the filly said.

"Kurt," the ex-guard replied. He rose a hoof, but it wouldn't stay up to shake the pony's hoof. The filly had some strength left, so she did the shaking.

Kurt wondered why exactly she deemed it necessary to introduce herself. Then again there were no other ponies here, and she seemed to be the only employee present. Small talk also helps the time pass by, so the fighting horse rolled with it.

"So what's your story?" Porta asked.

"Family business in Baltimare. Very urgent," Kurt replied.

"Do those scars have anything to do with it?" Porta asked.

Kurt checked to see that his scars did in fact show in areas the armoured uniform didn't cover. His suit jacket was in his bag on account of being too dirty to remain inconspicuous.

Regardless of all that, the ex-guard wondered why this mare was prodding too much into his personal life. At least Vinyl, Floyd, among others had better reason to. Kurt didn't plan on spending a night in the train station. Was this train station pony lonely? She appeared to be the only employee around at the moment.

"No," Kurt replied as he closed his eyes for a quick power nap.

Porta remained for a good minute before returning to her post up in the main lobby. Kurt still wasn't sure what she planned to accomplish by asking those questions, but he couldn't help but feel he wasn't being a nice dude to the filly.

A half-hour powernap was exactly what he needed. During which, he considered how exactly he was going to spend the next half-hour. More specifically, how he's going to interact with Porta without making it seem like he was interested in her- because he isn't.

He felt infinitely more rested than before. That is to say, he felt rested. To replace the aching, Kurt felt like he did something truly awful.

The ex-guard sat up on the bench, scanning the mass of tiles that comprised the floor, the walls, the drop ceiling. He wondered how those tiles were made. Was there a factory? Were there ponies who made these clay-looking tiles for a living? How did they do that?

There are a lot of other jobs out there, each with their own contribution to Equestrian society, Kurt thought. Dad was certainly right about his inability for real constructive services, and Kurt even knew it since he went AWOL- no, when he got his cutie mark. It didn’t explain why he still felt terrible about it.

An approaching clopping sound reached the ex-guard's ears. He turned to see Porta arrive with a pizza box and a first-aid kit. Both of which were from the break room almost every non-residential building always has, or should have.

"What's this?" Kurt asked.

"You look like you haven't eaten in a while," Porta replied.

"What about the first-aid kit?"

"Well you barely could stay standing-"

Kurt responded by shaking his head. "I'm fine, really."

"You sure, officer?"

Kurt nodded, then his stomach growled. "Okay, more specifically: no medicine."

Porta giggled, a sound Kurt didn't immediately recognize. Last he heard that sound was his graduation party.

"They're leftovers," Porta added as she placed the pizza box on the bench next to Kurt. "I'm never liked tulips anyway."

Kurt's eyes lit up at the sound of tulips. There was something he hadn't eaten in a while. He looked up at Porta once more and said, "Thanks."

"You work for peace and justice in Equestria," Porta replied, "I don't think anypony could ever thank you fillies and colts enough."

Kurt smiled as he opened the box. Indeed, delicious tulips covered the base, only partially covered by extra cheese. Two slices left, but it was still a meal fit for a schmuck in armour. His smile, however, was a false one. After all, he wasn't really a guard anymore. Though it didn't mean he wasn't grateful for the pizza.

After a brief moment of silence, Porta left up the stairs to the main lobby once more. Kurt, however, indulged himself on the leftover pizza.

Work for peace and justice in Equestria, eh? Kurt wondered if he really was working for peace and justice, beating his own flesh-and-blood father, and going after his mother to hopefully be asked to do the same. He just wanted to see Cornelius one last time.

One last time.

He'll be out of their lives forever. It will be like he was never there... well, save for Karl Foalington's missing teeth. Equestrian technology these days and the father's high class and generous funds, replacement teeth can be easily acquired.

Eventually, a train whistle blew. Kurt had finished the pizza and tossed the box in a public garbage can earlier. Hoisting his saddlebags onto his back again, he felt just as he did when he first entered Manehattan. That feeling was tired, but not completely exhausted.

The massive earth ponies that pulled the train slowed down as they neared the station. They soon came to a full and complete stop. Assorted ponies left, while an usher loudly announced "Current stop: Manehattan. Next stop: Baltimare."

Kurt smiled, and boarded the train. He had paid for a ticket earlier through Porta, and who were they to interrupt the business of a guard on-duty? As Kurt sat his saddle bags down next to his seat- a flat, surprisingly comfy cot next to the window- he realised that his wearing of his armour was wearing a lie on his sleeve 24/7. To keep Kurt from reprimanding himself, he muttered that he paid for the ticket honestly. The suit made no difference, except do a decent job making his scars not so conspicuous.

The usher passed by Kurt and tore off half of the ticket, thus confirming that Kurt has the right to remain on the train. There were a few other ponies in this car in particular. There were obviously more throughout. The ex-guard, feeling secure in this train, took off his helmet and closed his eyes once more.

---

The power nap took him to early next morning. The train was still moving. Kurt wondered if he missed his stop. The ex-guard put on his helmet and hopped out of the cot. A quick search through his saddlebags informed him that nothing had been taken.

"Hey, did we pass by Baltimare?" Kurt asked to the white-coated pegasus across the aisle from him.

"Nope," the pegasus replied, not taking his gaze away from the window.

Kurt then realised before he slept, the cot across the aisle was empty. Either this white-coated pegasus moved to the bed, or there was another stop.

"Were there any other stops?" Kurt asked the white-coated one.

"No," The other pony said before turning his head. Kurt had to commend Sergeant Baton for managing to disguise his voice to the point where the ex-guard couldn't recognize it.

Baton's face was bruised, compliments from the ball of violence back in Canterlot.

"Sir," Kurt gulped. If Baton was here, that would mean other guards were present, correct?

"Don't," Baton replied before Kurt could complete the one word. "Gotta say, man, you had a clean hit," he added, pointing a hoof to the bruise on his face.

Before Kurt could apologize, Baton said "Don't say you're sorry. It tells your brain that a good hit was a bad thing- and your technique starts getting sloppy from hesitation."

Kurt nodded, immediately followed with Baton asking, "You know why I'm here?"

"To arrest me?" Kurt whispered hoarsely. It was at a volume that the sergeant could hear, but no other passengers could. The conversation continued in a similar fashion from there.

"If that were true, I'd be in uniform, and backed up, and we wouldn't let you wake up in peace."

Kurt blinked in confusion.

Sergeant Baton added, "It turns out your going AWOL can prove advantageous to Celestia. She sends Her regards, by the way."

Kurt slowly nodded, still not understanding where the sergeant was going. Last the two heard of each other, Baton was angry beyond measure.

"Make no mistake, Kurt. You owe me for internal bleeding. It nearly killed me."

"No disrespect, but I don't think you can manage the same amount of damage," Kurt replied, trying not to smile.

Baton did, however. "I know, so I'll call it even on your dime in Baltimare. I know a good place- a good place where we can talk... after you're done with your business there, of course."

Kurt wanted to ask how Baton knew, but he didn't say anything. Kurt never went anywhere without a reason, even back in Canterlot. For all the ex-guard knew, Baton didn't even know Kurt's mother was the target.

"Meet me at the Maremaid Stallion's Club tonight," Sergeant Baton added, handing Kurt a slip of paper containing an address, "I doubt your business would take twenty hours."

Kurt slowly nodded. What exactly did Baton need to discuss? All answers would be attained at the club, anyway.

"Listen, Kurt," Baton started once more, "Everypony else wants your head on a platter- make no mistake. Especially the ones you beat up."

"Why not you?" Kurt asked. He punched the sergeant in the face, after all.

"Because I know you, Kurt. I know why you do what you do. Her Highness knows why you do what you do. I also read every letter to and from you. You only have one contact, need I remind you."

Kurt nodded, officially understanding completely.

"I'll see you there," Baton added before hopping out of his cot and leaving the train car itself, toward the caboose. "By the way," he said, "Could I grab a can of that sweetgrass? Those saddlebags must be torture to carry,"

Kurt was still nodding. His mind was racing, wondering how Baton knew he was on the train, why Baton was not there to arrest him, why Baton was calm and understanding. The thoughts didn't distract the ex-guard from handing a can of sweetgrass to Baton, however. After a nod of thanks, the Sergeant left for real.

There still had to be a better reason than "Sergeant Baton just cares." The Sergeant specifically stated that Kurt's wild card status could prove advantageous. These questions should be answered once Kurt was done with his business with his mother. Vera, Vera... What has become of you, keeping family away from family?

The train arrived in Baltimare, another city that never sleeps. Kurt left the station, fully rested, carrying his saddle bags. He had to find the Baltimare Fashion Press headquarters now. Unlike the club, Kurt didn't have an address.

It would've been easy to get lost in Baltimare. Even if somepony could manage not to get pulled into the multiple rivers of ponies, almost every building was five stories at least. The tallest building could almost rival that of the Canterlot Mountain itself- and that's even counting the spires. Every wall for every skyscraper was covered in metal and tempered glass, while everything not a skyscraper was made of brick of varying kinds. Kurt figured his dad's company worked on a fair number of the buildings here in Baltimare. Altogether, nearly every building looked the same regardless of height.

Fortunately, Kurt's badge, and uniform got him some help pretty quickly. The first pony he asked was more than willing to help. Within an hour, Kurt found the building.

0700 hours. Kurt was doubtful that Vera would be there at this time. He entered regardless to meet a similar security official to the last building the ex-guard had been in. This guard looked fresh, probably because he just started his shift.

"Good morning, officer," the security guard said.

"Good morning," Kurt responded, "I'm looking to have a word with Vera Foalington. Is she in?"

"No she isn't, sir. Could I take a message?"

"Nah, I can wait," Kurt replied, looking around for a place to sit down. "When is she supposed to come in?"

"At nine, like most everypony else."

Kurt nodded, and trotted to a bench on the far left side from the entrance.

"Has Mrs. Foalington done something illegal?" the security guard asked.

Kurt replied "Yes."

The security guard looked concerned now. The ex-guard didn't blame him. Kurt imagined the guard was wondering what crime Vera Foalington had committed.

"I take it you don't have a warrant," the security guard said.

Kurt shook his head. "Not looking to arrest her yet. Just need some questions answered."

The security guard nodded, and attempted to remove the worried look on his face. An hour or two later, Kurt's mother entered.

She paused, then turned pale as the ex-guard stood up. "Mrs. Foalington," Kurt said.

Vera didn't run.

"I have questions. Could we take this to your office?"

The security guard and Vera looked at each other, hoping the guard would do something about it. Unfortunately for Vera, the guard did nothing.

Kurt gestured Mrs. Foalington to the elevators to her office. Both entered the elevators, and Kurt simply glared. "Where is Cor?" the son asked.

Vera said nothing. The elevator started moving up.

"I guess Dad didn't phone in."

"They said you were dead." Vera whispered.

Kurt replied, "I'm more alive than ever. Anyway, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Dad: A business proposition of sorts."

Vera's teeth clenched in an attempt to not seem fearful of her son who could very easily snap her legs in two- or rather, anypony's legs in two.

"Let me see Cor one last time," Kurt continued, "Then I'll disappear entirely. I will put effort into making sure you never hear from me again."

The elevator stopped at a random floor. Both left and walked down the corridor, looking as natural as they could. Vera's attempt to get angry failed. This was a fashion magazine. Every employee probably tries to maintain at least a charming look.

"A better idea, Kurt," she started, "How about you tell me what you wanted to tell Cornelius, and I'll tell him for you."

Kurt shook his head, replying "That won't work. He needs to hear it from me."

"But I don't have him. He's not in Baltimare."

Kurt stopped to plant an armoured hoof to his armoured forehead. This was seriously getting tedious. "Then where? Where is he?" He asked.

Vera didn't reply. Kurt really wanted to punch her for... actually, he didn't even remember the reason at this point. She then sighed, followed with "Fifteen minutes with Cor, and you're gone forever?"

Kurt nodded. "I saw the Missing Pony posters, and I got worried... and angry, like any family member worth their salt does."

Vera sighed once more, then turned to Kurt. "It's impossible to love you like most parents with their foals. You know that, right?"

Kurt shook his head. "Real parents wouldn't mind that sort of thing."

"You know that for sure?" Vera asked.

Kurt gritted his teeth. His mom was just wasting time. "Look: the sooner I get to see Cor again, the sooner I'm gone."

"Canterlot, with Kaia," Vera replied.

Kurt's eye twitched in a sudden flush of anger. Seriously? Back at Canterlot? For Celestia's sakes! All this effort and pounding his own father's teeth out, and he could've just stayed at damned Canterlot?! Before Kurt completely lost it, he turned and marched straight back to the elevator. He didn't even get a chance to say thank you, he was just so mad.

Unlike Karl, Vera was a more public figure in the fashion world- a remarkably large industry in Equestria. Breaking her jaw would call upon far more media attention than his contract-making Dad. That didn't mean Kurt didn't want to break Vera's jaw. However, once inside the elevator, the ex-guard wanted to break something... anything.

He resorted to the fancy handlebars- made of some material that wasn't metal, but looked metallic anyway. The boot dent would be easily noticeable to whatever pony cared to look at it, anyway. Kurt was still mad, so he punched next to the dent to leave a similar one.

Still no rush of calm to overtake the anger. What's it take, huh? A punch to the face of a flesh-and-blood pony?

Aaaggh...

The elevator stopped. Kurt took a deep breath, which barely helped. He was calm enough to fake a less negative expression. He passed by the security guard- who still looked worried.

"Is Mrs. Foalingto-"

"I have to return to Canterlot," Kurt replied. "What's the fastest way there?"

"Well, no railways lead up there," the security guard replied, "so you're either walking or taking a flight."

Well that was a waste of time, Kurt thought. His only option is to walk at that point. Hopefully by the time he got to the mountain, he'd have a plan of entry... a real plan of entry...

He ran different plans of entry in his head. There was absolutely nothing that could work in his favour now. He had no easy flight in, and the gate guards would see him coming a mile away. Even if he could get close enough to the guards, he'd need to knock them out in order to have an easily covered entrance. Even then, he still had five minutes afterward before two events: an inner city patrol passes by the gate, or one of the gate guards regains consciousness and reports the assault. Five minutes is barely enough to get even remotely close to the Palace.

Perhaps Baton cold help. Officially, he's not in Baltimare, so Kurt could ask. The Maremaid Stallion's club was across the city. He still had another six hours even if he started his way there immediately after leaving the fashion press building. It could most certainly be a trap, even if Baton didn't arrest Kurt on the train despite having every chance in the universe to do so.

His stomach rumbled, so he trotted to an alleyway and relieved the weight of his pack by another can of sweetgrass. For a big city in Equestria with such typically nice, citizens under a benevolent monarch, the alleys were surprisingly messy.

Kurt was still hungry, so he devoured another can of food. After a good hour's rest, Kurt hefted the now-lighter saddle bags onto his back again. He started his way across the city to the stallion's club.

He doubt the bouncers would allow him in, equipped the way he is. Even if they could, having an apparently-active officer in one's club wouldn't look terribly well for business. Kurt would need a place to store his armour and such; a preferably secure place, anyway.

On the way, Kurt spotted a familiar burgundy fedora.

"What are the chances? Kurt called after Floyd.

The grizzled one turned and rose a brow. "Next to none, Scar-man," he laughed as he and Kurt bumped hooves. "Stronger than ever, eh?"

The duo moved to hug the wall of a random building, allowing the crowd flow to continue unhindered.

"What are you doing here?" Kurt asked.

"My home town, Kurt. She's got a real ugly mug, don't she?"

Kurt shrugged, saying "I wouldn't say that."

"Yes ye would. Not as bad as Stalliongrad, but hey: I ne'er liked these... buildings so tall not even the dumbest pegasus would climb." Floyd shuffled so his guitar pack. "Salt's real good, though. I know a good place near the warehouse, Maremaid Stallion's Club."

"Actually, I have a friend who wants to meet me there," Kurt said. He looked down at his uniform and added, "Can't go in wearing this, though."

"Well, ye can drop it off at my place," the grizzled guitarist responded, "I was just on my way home from a morning show at the station."

Kurt hummed. He didn't hear Floyd's guitar at the station himself, maybe they missed each other entirely. The duo rejoined the river of ponies and made it to Floyd's condo. The gear was dropped off, and Floyd picked up a different guitar. Since the gold suit was still mucky, Kurt left it behind.

The duo trotted out onto the streets again, making their way to the Maremaid Stallion's club. Another hour had passed by then- if only for the crowded streets.

Along the way, Kurt asked Floyd how the guitarist had been doing. The response was surprisingly short. He had gone to Manehattan for a show before returning to Baltimare about a week ago. "I could'a played a song for that lovely Princess Luna, but I didn't have a flight," Floyd chuckled, "Watched the thing on television. Man, she sure looked nice."

Kurt smiled, even though he never saw Princess Luna himself. At least, not when she looked her best. The ex-guard never did get a good enough look to identify her wings, let alone her face and mane. He'd just need to take Floyd's word for it.

At the bar, the bouncer seemed to recognize Floyd- not in a negative way, anyway.

"What about this one?" a bouncer asked, glaring at Kurt's scars and musculature.

"He's okay, fellas," Floyd replied.

The bouncers reluctantly accepted the claim. Apparently they knew Floyd well. As the duo entered, Floyd glanced to the ex-guard.

"You will be okay, right?" Floyd asked, "You've been tense this whole time."

Have I? Kurt wondered. It's been hours since meeting with his mother. He should've naturally calmed down by now. "Yeah," he replied, now looking to see if Baton was early.

There was no white-coat stallion in the bar, but there were a number of stallions of all shapes and sizes, and they were enjoying the shows done in-part- No, wholly by mares.

Lovely mares at that. Lovely mares with styled manes and dresses specifically designed to accentuate certain parts of the pony body that the stallions dug. Kurt preferred cute, which was why he was still holding out for the purple filly. Sure, at this point he stood no chance of returning to Ponyville as far as he knew, but still...

Floyd gestured Kurt to an empty table, and trotted to the bar for some salt. Two blocks of salt were placed on the wood, which Floyd carried over to his and Kurt's table with his unicorn magic.

"Live a little, son," Floyd cheerfully boasted at a louder than usual volume, "At this point, ye must have found yer brother, right?"

"Not yet," Kurt replied as he took a small nibble out of the salt block and started savouring the taste..

"Oh," Floyd said, sans cheerfulness, "But soon?"

"Gotta go to Canterlot," Kurt replied.

"Didn't ye just go there? Like, one- two weeks ago?"

"Don't remind me," Kurt replied, "It's all a goose chase... and I've got no idea how I'm going to get in again. I can't just call the same favours in Ponyville. I don't even know where it is compared to Baltimare, or Manehattan, or whatever city in Equestria."

"Kurt, you showed up,"

Floyd flinched, and Kurt turned to see the Sergeant. The ex-guard then flinched himself. Baton was accompanying a hooded navy-blue mare with wings.

...and a horn.