• Published 5th Mar 2014
  • 560 Views, 3 Comments

The Day Will Last Forever - Desiree407



After realizing that she and her sister are forever disconnected from their greatest source of power, Princess Celestia grows more and more distant and less and less like her former self...

  • ...
1
 3
 560

Chapter Two: Day Court

Celestia shifted awkwardly on the velvet pillow, muttering to herself.

“You’re being illogical…”

She looked up from her reverie just in time; with the first knock on the throne room doors, Day Court had officially begun.

“Come in,” she called.

In came two mares, who seemed engaged in a heated argument. One had a southern twang that reverberated through the throne room; the other had a bold rainbow mane.

Celestia blinked in recognition. “Twilight’s friends? Applejack and Rainbow Dash? Why are you arguing?”

“Well you see, yer Highness—“

“This—“

They spoke over each other, and Celestia winced. She hated the sound of anger. “Both of you, stop! Applejack, you go first.”
Rainbow glared at Applejack, but she wouldn’t defy the wishes of the princess.

“Yer Highness, this prismatic excuse for a weatherpony scheduled the rain wrong! With how she’s put things in order, there won’t be enough for my apple trees to grow. I came to ask you to explain to her why she should put more rain in the schedule.”

“And I,” interjected Rainbow Dash, “Am here to tell you why we shouldn’t! Ponyville has had enough rain in the past few weeks. The little rain right now is to balance things out!”

Celestia looked at the two of them, with concern growing in her eyes. “Why didn’t you talk to Twilight about this?”

Rainbow Dash snorted derisively. “Because ever since she came back from tea with you, she’s been reading this book called “The 100 Most Likely Causes that a Pony is Upset.” We all put it down to some assignment you gave her.”

Celestia’s white cheeks turned pink. “I—don’t know what could be the cause of that. Erm, anyway! Applejack… how much will your apple trees be affected by lack of rain?”

“To be honest, Princess, it hasn’t been a good season. They’ll need all the rain they can get.”

“Sure, but that doesn’t mean you can drench all of Ponyville!” interjected Rainbow Dash.

Celestia looked at Rainbow Dash, slightly amused. “What exactly do you have against more rain?”

Rainbow looked at her hooves. “I—I’m the lead weatherpony! It’s a job I just took over and frankly, I’m not exactly confident about it!”

Applejack looked at her oddly. “You mean to tell me, sugarcube, that the whole reason you dragged me here head over hooves is because you don’t want ponies questioning yer authority?”

“Well… I… It’s more complicated than that!”

Celestia was trying not to laugh. Really she was. “Rainbow, just because you’re the authority doesn’t mean you can’t listen to the suggestions of others.”

“So you think I should schedule more rain, huh?”

“Well... what do you think?”

“Oh, so yes. That’s kind of odd coming from the princess of the sun. I mean, I wouldn’t think you’d want it to be obscured.”

“Rainbow, I’d never think like that! That’s the kind of thinking that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon!”

Rainbow leaned back slightly. “Oh… I’m sorry.” She was looking at Celestia as if she’d turned into someone completely different.

Applejack looked from the pegasus to the princess. “So, we should go now?”

“Sure, Applejack,” muttered the cyan mare next to her.

Later

Celestia was still sitting on the velvet cushion, even though it was nearly time to lower the sun.

Rainbow’s words had hit close to home—likely, more close to home than either of the two mares had realized.

At least, she hoped they hadn't realized....

Lately, those had been exactly the thoughts she had had, whenever rain came. That her sun shouldn’t be obscured.

She was being so silly, she knew it, but in a way, she could justify her actions. She’d realized lately that the sun was more important than the moon. It was rather obvious when you thought about it. But Luna was still her sister, and the moon was still quite important, so when she realized the thought, she had done nothing but dismiss it.

But then she had started thinking that the sun was more important than the rain, too.

She wasn’t sure when she had started thinking these thoughts, but she knew that they needed to be stopped. She got the feeling they were leading her along a path she didn’t want to go…

The throne room door opened, and in came Luna, smiling at her. “Sister, it’s time!”

“Oh—yes.”

Together, the two of them went to their shared balcony, talking quietly to each other.

“How was Day Court?”

“It was… eventful. Two of Twilight’s friends—Applejack and Rainbow, remember them? They were arguing about rain. It turned about to be more about Rainbow being insecure than anything else…”

“Really now? Tell me more.”

Celestia finished the story, and then they performed their nightly dance, one raising and one lowering.

“Well, goodbye,” said Celestia, “I wish you luck…” Night Court tended to bring out rather odd individuals. For a princess who was rather more antisocial than her counterpart, it wasn’t always easy, but according to Luna, it was always entertaining.

Luna laughed and sat back to watch the doors.

In a flash of yellow light, Celestia teleported back to her bedroom, where she sat on the bed. She had a letter she needed to write to Twilight if she hoped to get a single hour of sleep tonight.

Levitating a quill, some ink and a scroll, she began to write her message, waiting for Luna to come and tell her it was morning.

My Dearest Twilight Sparkle,
Your friends came to Canterlot today, and mentioned something that concerned me greatly; that you were looking up reasons a pony could be upset.
Please, do not worry about me. Since your visit, I’ve been feeling much better! It turned out that all I needed was a little rest and relaxation. Ruling a kingdom isn’t all sunshine and roses, as I’m sure you understand.
I wanted to ask you a question. Have you ever felt as if you are more important than people think? The question is purely theoretical; I simply want to know what you think on the matter.
Your friend,
Celestia

Celestia sent the letter and then fell asleep.

She hated to lie, but in this case, she felt she had to…

Author's Note:

:yay: This took forever! But now it's done! So what do you think?