• Published 23rd Oct 2011
  • 1,471 Views, 6 Comments

My Little Trekkie: First Contact is Magic - A Dude Guy Thing



After a strange twist of events, the Mane Six find themself in a new adventure - IN SPACE!

  • ...
5
 6
 1,471

Chapter Two: Family To The Rescue

It had been hard work, but they were making good progress. Their zebra guide had quickly made use of the databases of knowledge the ship held, and began educating them in their roles.

Twilight found it fairly easy, being a fairly natural leader, and Dash was aching to get going – she loved soaring through the skies, but through space? That was way cooler. Twenty percent cooler cooler.

Rarity had been practising her professional whining, Applejack had added dozens of new words to her vocabulary, including vocabulary.

Fluttershy had spent hours bonding with the machinery, and Pinkie Pie had proved disproved the law of Conservation of Matter, on the grounds that Friendship is Magic,

The ships damage was not as extensive as their virtual zebra guide had predicted – the crew of the spacecraft had been preparing for a rough landing, and would have landed the ship nearly flawlessly had they not began being beamed off during the landing.

Later that day, Verhina had decided, against her proper judgement, to educate the crew in proper hand-to-hand combat. After a while of explanations, it was time for some demonstrations. “Now, remember: sluggish attacks, no practical attacks, and remember, take time to slowly circle each other when it comes to fighting one-on-one. Make it interesting for people who are watching, you know? Common courtesy, really.”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash stepped up, ready to start. They began slowly circling each other, when Rainbow suddenly darted forward for a quick jab with a hoof. “STOP!”, Verhina shouted. “Now, Rainbow Dash, you have to remember that it is impolite to do such an attack. Try swinging wildly at them, or at least be inefficient.”

After a few moments, they started again. After a while of practice, they began using some form of weaponry called a Bat'leth, which was basically some sort of sword except you held the middle so it was very easy to parry, which was apparently another part of common courtesy in combat. After a while, Twilight felt she had to ask a question.

“Uhh, hold on, if we get ambushed by an enemy, why would be pull out one of these? Why not shoot them with one of these fancy laser guns? Which are easy to use? Which are deadly?” she asked. “In case you don't have a laser gun when you're attacked, obviously!” Verhina answered, as it was obvious.

Twilight only felt more questions popping up. “But, why would you bring a gigantic weapon when you're going out for a stroll instead of a small, hoof-held laser gun?” Verhina just looked at her, looking annoyed. “Lets take a break for now, I'm sure you'll all hungry for lunch. And this time, whoever did it, refrain from ordering a giant cake, please. It would be more funny if it didn't drain the energy reserves. Yeah, I'm looking at YOU, Science Officer Pinkie... You still need to grow those damn ears long, you know, or at least act as if you are better than every other idiot around here.”

The ponies were all gathered around a table, enjoying lunch. They were generally discussing their learnings, though their minds did wander to outside the great metal machine they had been living for days in. They all missed their friends, but they were glad they had each other, and Twilight knew that she wanted to do this. Even if she had to leave much behind, she would experience so many new things. And who knew? Perhaps one day, she would return and tell Equestria all about her discoveries.

They were all enjoying their sandwiches, when Verhina materialised in front of them, a concerned look on her face. “A large crowd of hoofed creatures is gathering outside the space craft. I am going to beam who appears to be their leader in here. Brace yourself.” Before any of the ponies had a chance to react, a blue, shining light appeared in front of them. They could hear the confused pony making a range of confused “Who?”'s and “What?”'s, before we finally fully materialised, and began taking in his surroundings, with his gaze finally resting on Applejack.

“Ah-Applejack! We.. we were all lookin' for you... as soon as I heard that you and yer friends went missin', I gathered up as many relatives as I could find and What in the fields of Sweet Apple Acres is goin' on? What is this place?” Applejack surged forth and hugged him. “Cousin Braeburn!”

It had taken a while, but Applejack had finally explained to Braeburn what was going on. “And so, we're learning to fly this hunk o' metal, so we can get some reward or somethin' for returnin' it!” Braeburn had been listening intently, nodding slightly, but with a confused look on his face. “So, lemme get this straight. You saw somethin' fall in the Celestia damned Everfree Forest, decided to prance around it, find a big metal machine, got abducted by a Zebra, and immediately believed her and decided to pilot a big flying magical boat into some alien place or whatever, without any idea what would happen afterwards?” The group all began murmuring and agreeing. After a moment, Braeburn jumped into the air. “Yeeehaw! Why, this is great! A chance for the Apple family to finally plant apple trees where none have planted them before – Space!”

It had taken a while, but Braeburn had explained the situation to the mob gathered outside. They all seemed excited about planting apple trees in space, and although Twilight had attempted to explain that they weren't going to explore a new world, but instead were going to some even bigger metal ship in space, but apparently they were all too excited about “planting apple trees in space” to listen. Still, they were a welcome addition to the crew, and the original six set about educating them in various roles.

Fluttershy had quickly accepted the offer of more ponies to assist in repairs, and she had taught them how to repair parts of the ship while still respecting its personal space, and had drastically increased her work force.

Applejack had taught a group of eager colts about the ships weaponry, including lasers, torpedoes, and a recent invention by Pinkie Pie called the 'Explosive Cupcake Launcher'.

A few family friends had came with the group of earth ponies, including a friendly pair of pegasi, and Rainbow Dash had seen to educating them as Helms ponies, if Rainbow Dash was ever unable to pilot the ship. They had seem fairly excited, but then, so was everybody.

Pinkie had been spending her time educating a select group of ponies on what she claimed was “the secrets of the universe”. Nobody out of the group actually knew what their meetings were about, but Twilight was fairly sure they she knew, especially after seeing Pinkie pushing a wheel barrow of streamers and balloons into their secret meeting room.

Rarity had selected the most well mannered of the family and made them her assistants, and and set to work creating a dazzling uniform, inspired by the uniform used by the crew before their unfortunate departure.

And the whole time, Twilight had been thinking of who to make second in command. Hmm, Applejack can get along with everybody, but Rarity could certainly get people to do things for her with a few well placed words, but Pinkie Pie could keep moral high, Dash could inspire bravery in anyponies heart, and Fluttershy could make anything seem better with kindness. She knew she'd need to choose somepony soon, because with all the aid of the Apple family, the ship would be ready to set off in three days.