• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 1,226 Views, 30 Comments

Haunted Memories - XtremelyXtreme



A stallion with incredible powers searches for answers after a lost fight wipes his memory clean

  • ...
3
 30
 1,226

Ch 4 - Facing Minor Problems

Haunted Memories


Written by XtremelyXtreme


Chapter 4 - Facing Minor Problems



Scythe attempted to dodge and block the stallion's attacks as best he could, but it wasn't enough. Blow after blow impacted his face and stomach, leaving Scythe dazed and pained. He stumbled back clumsily, causing the stallion to laugh evilly. Scythe regained himself and let out a battle roar, firing a volley of electrical blasts from his hooves towards his enemy.

The stallion's hooves, with flames issuing from them, blocked every shot, until Scythe fired a large bolt the size of a full grown horse. The electricity entered the stallion's body in an explosive blast, sending him flying back, screaming. He landed with a loud thud onto the cracked ground. Scythe flew forward in a large ball of electricity and slammed into the stallion, who was attempting to get up.

Through his pain, the stallion spewed a stream of fire from his hooves towards Scythe at an undodgable speed. He was enveloped in the flames, doing his best to shield himself with his powers. It wasn't much use. The flames licked at Scythe's back and his legs and neck, causing horrific pain.

Scythe awoke with a scream, hyperventilating and sweating intensely. Horrible fear coursed through his body. He darted his head around and remembered that he was at Vinyl's house. The sun was shining brightly through the windows, creating a faint glow that flooded the room with light. He felt relief wash over his body, but the stress of what he couldn't remember increased two-fold.

"Urgh..." He groaned. "Come on..." He whispered he himself. He was trying hard to remember, but to no avail.

Scythe sighed and rubbed his face with a hoof. He shakily got out of the bed and walked to the door. Had Vinyl not heard him scream? He scanned the pale blue hallway and found no sign of her.

"Vinyl?" He called out to his sister. No response. He stepped out of the room slowly and closed the door behind him. He called out to Vinyl a few more times, still with no response. Scythe hadn't the faintest clue where the Unicorn was, until, checking in the kitchen, he could hear a faint noise coming from the basement door.

Scythe felt curious, and slowly opened the door. The sound of a Dubstep-Rock song being played blasted into Scythe's ears, causing him to groan in pain. He had just realized that he had a terrible headache. Nonetheless, he started to walk down the stairs. It sounded as if somepony was recording an electric guitar part to a song, with the drums, bass, and synths already recorded.
(Song Vinyl Was Playing)

It appears as if the entire basement was made to be soundproof. Scythe reached the bottom of the stairs and smiled in awe at what he saw.

Vinyl's recording studio was right here in her basement. Dozens of recording devices hanging on the walls, sitting on desks, with multiple instruments plugged into them. Electric guitars, bass guitars, keyboards, and even a drumset in the corner. Vinyl was playing her favorite white electric guitar like a professional (Which she is), never missing a beat. Upon noticing the smiling Scythe, Vinyl smiled herself and shut off the recording.

"Morning." She greeted Scythe warmly.

"Hey..." Scythe yawned. "How'd you sleep?"

"Like a filly. I felt fully energized when I got up, so I thought I'd come down and finish this song. Wish I could say the same for you." Vinyl explained, ending with a sympathetic grin.

"What do you mean?" Scythe asked, confused.

Vinyl pointed to a mirror near the drumset. Scythe walked up to it and examined himself. His eyes were bloodshot with bags underneath, his mane was messy, and he looked all around horrible.

"Doesn't look like you slept at all." Vinyl spoke across the room.

"Oh, I did sleep." Scythe chuckled. "I slept horribly. Some kind of dream...Or...Nightmare..." He thought about what he had dreamed, but could remember nothing.

Vinyl shifted her red eyes to Scythe's right hind leg.

"How's the leg?" She asked.

Scythe lifted his leg, and suddenly realized that it didn't hurt anymore. Not only that, but all the cuts and scrapes and bruises were gone.

"What the hell?" Scythe asked out loud.

"What?"

"Look at me, Vinyl. No cuts." He waved a hoof around his body.

Vinyl looked closer and went wide eyed.

"How--...What about your leg?" She asked slowly. Vinyl used her magic to slowly unwrap Scythe's leg bandages. She gasped.

Scythe's leg was completely healed. The stab wound was gone, and not even a scar was left. The hair had grown back like nothing happened at all.

"Whoa...That's weird..." Vinyl said unenthusiastically. Scythe gave the white Unicorn a narrow eyed glare.

"You don't sound very surprised." He said suspiciously.

"Uh...Of course I'm surprised! Why wouldn't I be?" Vinyl responded nervously.

"I don't know. You tell me." Scythe said coldly, still glaring.

"Uh...Well, you see...Um...I'm su-" Vinyl began to explain nervously, but was cut off by Scythe.

"Just forget about it. I'm sorry about my attitude, Vinyl. I'm not feeling so hot this morning, both physically and mentally." He explained apologetically, ending with a sigh.

A few moments of awkward silence passed, before Scythe spoke.

"So...What's this song you're working on?" He asked awkwardly, obviously trying to make conversation. Vinyl smiled anyway.

"Oh, it's called ShutEmDown. Kind of a dubstep-rock genre, but it's an instrumental, unlike the rest of my songs." She explained happily, waving her right forehoof to her musical instruments.

When Vinyl started talking about music, she would pretty much forget about any worry, any stress, and emotion (Except for happiness), and would happily drone on about whatever musical topic she was talking about. Especially dubstep.

"It's gonna be totally awesome when it's finished. Best part is: I didn't even announce this song to my fans. It'll be a complete surprise!" She finished, still smiling ear to ear.

"Lemme guess...An 'Awesome' surprise?" Scythe chuckled.

"Ooh yeah! Now, I haven't eaten yet. Wanna get some breakfast?"



Half Hour Later



"Right, so where do you wanna eat?" Vinyl asked. Her and Scythe were standing in the busy section of Ponyville. Scythe looked much cleaner, since he had taken a shower before they left.

"Um...I don't know. What about that place?" Scythe suggested flatly, pointing his hoof at at diner named 'The Hungry Stallion.'

"Ooh, good choice! Let's go!" Vinyl said happily, grabbing Scythe's left forehoof and leading him to the diner. As usual, he was getting angry glares and whispers, along with everypony scurrying to get out of his way.

Scythe felt the anger starting to build up, but he fought it and remained calm as best he could.

"Assholes..." He muttered quietly.

As they approached the door, the manager quickly came out and pointed an accusing hoof at Scythe.

"Don't you even THINK about coming in here, terrorist!" He shouted angrily, drawing the looks of ponies eating on the outside tables.

"Grease! Come on!" Vinyl said alarmingly.

"Vinyl, I'm not serving a lowlife like him! My mother was in that city he destroyed!" The stallion named Grease shouted accusingly, glaring at Scythe.

Scythe felt the anger rising up uncontrollably again. He walked forward and put his hoof on the short metal barrier fence sitting out front of the diner.

Scythe wanted to strike the pony known as Grease, but decided to do so with words.

"You call me a lowlife, yet you're working in this cheap greasy diner." Scythe hissed coldly, with a harsh grin.

"Excuse me?" Grease responded angrily, meeting Scythe face to face.

"Guys--" Vinyl tried to intervene, but to no avail.

"Say that again, terrorist!" Grease challenged, putting his hoof on the metal barrier.

"What's the matter? Can't accept that you're not worth shit, and you have to work here?" Scythe spoke in a very cold and mocking tone.

"Guys--" Vinyl attempted to intervene again, still to no avail.

"Are you looking for a hoof to the face? Because frankly, I'm ready to give you one, buddy!" The grease brown stallion threatened.

"Guys, would you just--"

"Try me. It'll be the last thing you ever do, pal." Scythe stood his ground. Grease didn't hesitate. He lunged forward, disregarding the metal barrier. Scythe made a perfect dodge, though unnecessary. Vinyl had stepped in between them before any harm could be done.

"You two need to calm down!" She shouted, and they immediately stopped.

After a few seconds, they calmed down a bit, and Vinyl stepped away again.

Scythe put his hoof on the metal barrier. A strange sparking sound was heard at the same time as Grease shrieked and pulled his own hoof back in a flash. Vinyl quickly looked back at Scythe suspiciously.

"What? I didn't touch him!" Scythe defended.

"Ehh...Something shocked me..." Grease said softly, holding his hoof.

"Hmph...Quit acting like a baby. I've been through much worse." Scythe scoffed.

"DON'T CALL ME A--"

"Would you two just STOP? Grease, we just want some breakfast, okay?" Vinyl intervened frustratedly. Scythe scoffed.

"Screw that. I'm not eating here." He said coldly, turning around and walking away.

"Scythe! Come on!" Vinyl tried to reason, running up beside him.

"You'd better watch your back, terrorist!" Grease called out to Scythe mockingly.

Scythe stopped dead, his face clearly showing anger, and his body tensed up. Vinyl saw this, too, and tried to calm her brother down.

"Just let it go, Scythe. If you ask me, he's not worth it." Vinyl cooed softly.

Scythe sighed and continued walking. Noticing that the little argument at the diner caught the eye of some ponies, he didn't hesitate to speak out.

"What the hell are you all looking at? Mind your own Goddess damn business!



An Hour Later



Scythe and Vinyl had finally managed to find an eating establishment that would let Scythe in, the manager saying 'As long as you've got bits, you can come on in.'

After eating a delicious breakfast of hay baconstrips, veggie sausages, four slices of toast, and three glasses of orange juice, Scythe got thinking about the hostility that he's been getting. About that 'Rally.'
He was thinking of what might happen. Would they search for him? Would they hurt anypony to get to him? The idea of Vinyl getting hurt or killed because of him made him shiver.

-I know she's a celebrity, but who knows what they'd do?- Scythe thought to himself. -I don't know if it's such a good idea to live with Vinyl. I don't want to risk her safety. She's all I've got left. Haven't heard from Richter, either. Hope he's okay.-

After much consideration, Scythe made up his mind.

"Vinyl..." He started.

"Hm?"

"I think it'd be best if I got a place of my own." He said simply.

Vinyl suddenly looked concerned.
"But...Why?" She asked disappointingly.

Thinking for a moment, Scythe didn't want to tell Vinyl the reason, in case she wouldn't agree.

"Well...I feel like I'm imposing..." He lied. He felt a bit guilty about lying to his sister. Vinyl just made a fart noise with her tongue.

"Bull. If you were imposing, I'd have TOLD you." She said flatly

"Still...I'd just..." Scythe sighed. He wanted to tell Vinyl the truth, but at the same time he didn't. She seemed to pick up on his lie.

"Come on, Scythe. What's the REAL reason you want to live on your own?" She inquired curiously but surely. Scythe was a little taken back, but spoke anyway.

"Look, Vinyl...Just hear me out on this, okay?" Scythe said steadily, but the stress in his voice was obvious. "I want to live on my own for a very good reason, but I just don't want to say why, because I know you'll disagree, and I'm sure that--"

"Scythe, Scythe..." Vinyl chuckled softly but sympathetically. "...It's okay. I understand if you don't wanna say. I can pay for a house somewhere in Ponyville for you."

"One: Ew, Ponyville. Two: No, I'm doing this myself." Scythe said simply. He sensed that Vinyl wouldn't agree, but kept on going. "I don't want to have to rely on anypony. You remember how it was for me a couple years back."

"Yeah, but you don't have to rely on me. I'll just be helping you out." Vinyl responded with a determined tone.

Scythe sighed.

-She just won't let up, will she?- He thought to himself.

"Vinyl, look...I app--"

"Scythe, there's no way I'm just going to let you walk away all by yourself."

"Just...I appreciate your concern--"

"So, yes. I'm going to help you out by renting you a house."

"Vinyl, can you just please--" Scythe attempted to speak, but was interrupted again. He was getting frustrated.

"It's my choice to help you out, and I'm GOING to help you--"

"VINYL!" Scythe snapped loudly, frustration and stress very clear. He instantly regretted raising his voice upon seeing the hurt look on his sister's face. He sighed.

"I...I'm sorry...Look...I just think it's for the best, okay? I don't feel comfortable accepting help from anypony after what my asshole dad did to me. Just...Please, Vinyl. I don't want to argue, okay?" Scythe explained softly and regretfully.

Vinyl looked down and sighed. After a few moments she spoke again.
"Okay. I'll accept and respect your decisions." She said with a smile. Scythe felt a little relieved. "But, you're going to have to get a job if you want to get a place. I mean, my friend Minuette can rent you a house or an apartment."

"I'll stick with an apartment. But what makes you think she'd even rent a place to a 'Terrorist?' I don't think anypony would." Scythe explained. This was a problem he knew he'd face. He could feel it in his gut even before the idea of living alone came up.

"Don't worry. Minuette believes you're innocent, too. But what about a job?" Vinyl asked.

Scythe thought for a minute, and a flash of happiness overcame him at an idea popping into his head.

"I think I got it covered..."



Minutes Later, Ponyville Wine Shop



Scythe knocked on the front door of the Wine Shop, but no answer came. He knocked again after a few seconds, with the same result.

-Hm...Maybe she's not working today?- He thought to himself. He felt a slight twang of disappointment in his chest. He decided to try once more. He knocked a little harder, and got a result.

"Hang on..." A familiar voice called out from inside. The voice sounded very groggy and tired. Moments later, the four locks clicked and the door swung open, to reveal a light-grayish-mulberry colored pony with a cerise mane. Her bloodshot eyes widened, but before she could speak, Scythe tried to get his point through.

"Long time no see, Berry. Now, I know what you're probably thinking about me; I'm a terrorist, and blah blah blah, and I'm not asking you to even like me anymore, but I just wanted to know if I can work in the Shop for a bit. You won't even notice I'm here, promise. I just need some bits to hold down a place for a while, and--" He explained frantically, stress emanating from his voice, before being cut off.

"Whoa whoa whoa! Slow down, Scythe!" The pony revealed to be Berry Punch said surprisingly. "Don't worry. I don't believe what the papers said about you being a terrorist. It's cool, alright?"

Scythe let out a huge sigh and gave a half smile.
"You have no idea how nice it is to hear that from you." He said to Berry. She giggled.

"Come on in. You're getting a bunch of looks from everypony." Berry said the last sentence quietly.

Scythe looked back, and saw that everypony passing was indeed staring at him. He just glared his green eyes and walked into the shop. Berry locked the doors.

"Okay, so...My first question...Are you okay? When did you get out of the hospital?" She asked Scythe curiously.

"I've been better. I just got out yesterday. What about you?"

"Heh, just fine..." Berry replied sarcastically, gingerly rubbing her head with a forehoof. Scythe chuckled and guessed what was wrong with her.

"You're hung over, aren't you?" He asked with a small chuckle.

"Ooh yeah..." Berry answered flatly, but managed to put on a smile anyway.

"Where's Berry Pinch?" Scythe asked.

"At school."

Scythe sighed. He was a little disappointed with her.

"Y'know, Berry, you really shouldn't get drunk around your daughter." Scythe said, genuinely concerned.

"Oh...Please, for the love of Celestia, don't give me a lecture on that..." Berry replied irritably, turning her cerise eyes away from Scythe.

"Seriously, Berry. It's not something a little filly should have to see."

"I'm not a mean drunk, Scythe. I'm a...Silly drunk..." Berry said sheepishly.

"One: That's not the point. Two: You're also very sexual when you're drunk. I remember when we were together, you'd want to have alot more sex whenever you'd get drunk."

Berry let out a mix between a scoff and an embarrassed laugh.
"You never complained about it, though, did you? You'd always comply right away." She shot back.

"Touche." Scythe said, and the two started laughing. For Scythe, it was the first, full, genuine laugh that he's had since...He couldn't remember. It felt good to laugh like that, though.

"Anyways, look...Do you...Do you think you could hire me for a bit, Berry? I could really use the bits." Scythe explained.

"Of course. You could help with branding the bottles and storing them. Ten bits an hour. How's that sound?"

Scythe smiled.
"That sounds great, Berry. Thank you. When can I start?"

"Right now, if you want."



To Be Continued...