• Published 25th Feb 2014
  • 1,491 Views, 48 Comments

Deal with the Devil - RaylanKrios



When Discord offers Scootaloo the one thing she wants more then anything can she really turn him down?

  • ...
2
 48
 1,491

Chapter 1

It’s not fair; it just isn’t fair! thought Scootaloo as she sat in her room crying. All I’ve ever wanted is to be able to fly like other pegasi. A few hours earlier she had listened to a stallion in a white coat try to explain that the reason her wings were still small was that she had been born without growth plates in her ala humeri. Without those plates her wings would never get bigger and thus she would never be able to generate enough lift to do anything more than hover a few inches off the ground. The stallion in the white coat went on about how other than not flying, she was perfectly healthy and there was no reason to worry. His words didn't register, everything after “you’ll never fly” was just a jumbled mess.

To many of the earth ponies in Ponyville, Scootaloo wanting to fly was merely a byproduct of her idolizing Rainbow Dash. Dash could fly, Scootaloo worshipped Rainbow Dash, therefore Scootaloo wanted to fly; it was simple math. If the tiny pegasus had worshipped Rarity then she would be obsessed with fashion, was how most ponies rationalized Scootaloo’s constant attempts to fly. What the earth ponies didn’t understand was that for a pegasus flying wasn’t just a convenient way to get around, it was part of who they were. A pegasus who couldn’t fly was like a yak that didn’t smash things, it was denying part of what made them unique.

Even Fluttershy, who as a rule didn’t particularly enjoy flying, was still glad that she could. Everytime Scootaloo furiously flapped her wings only to come cruelly crashing back down to earth, she didn’t just feel the sting of gravity, she felt broken, as though she was somehow less than a true pegasus.

Scootaloo wasn’t sure how she made it back to her room after her doctors appointment. She wasn't sure how long she had been crying and she wasn't sure who was knocking on her door.

“Scootaloo, your friends are here,” a voiced laced with concern said. Scootaloo belatedly recognized it as her mothers.

“Yeah Scoots, c’mon out. We said we’d try to earn our cutie marks in weather making today. Rainbow Dash even said she’d help us make lightning clouds,” said a second voice, likely belonging to Apple Bloom.

Normally Scootaloo would have jumped at the chance to spend the day with her idol and her friends trying to earn her cutie mark, but that was before her world was brought crashing down around her. “Go away!” yelled the filly.

“Scootaloo, you can’t stay in there forever,” chided a third voice that Scootaloo guessed belonged to Sweetie Belle.

“Yes I can!” came her response from behind the locked door.

“I think Scootaloo needs some time alone right now; maybe you girls should try again tomorrow?” Scootaloo’s mother gently suggested.

Realizing that they were unlikely to coax Scootaloo out from both her room or her mood her friends quietly slipped away, promising to visit again tomorrow.

Every day for the next week followed the same pattern. Scootaloo would wake up, flap her now permanently classified as vestigial wings, a few times hoping that the laws of physics had changed, and then she'd spent the rest of the day in a morose haze when she confirmed they hadn't.

Then Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle would come by sometime after breakfast and try to convince Scootaloo to come out and play, and every day they left empty hoofed. Rainbow Dash had tried to talk to the dejected filly at least twice but was similarly sent packing. After a solid week of refusing to leave her room Scootaloo’s mother decided that Scootaloo was simply going to have to get used to the idea of not flying and pushed her out the door with instructions to not come back until dinner time, and thus Scootaloo found herself at the library talking to Twilight.

“I’m sorry,” said Twilight. “My magic just isn’t strong enough to give you new wings.”

“But you got wings and you’re not even a pegasus.”

“Well that’s different; Princess Celestia gave me wings when she made me a princess-”

“Then why can’t I be a princess? I’ll work really hard at it and do whatever princesses do. Please Twilight, pretty please?” Scootaloo said, her hooves pressed together in supplication, looking up at Twilight with as much hope as she dared muster.

Twilight tried to smile as compassionately as she could at the small orange filly staring up at her with wide eyes. “I’m sorry Scootaloo. I really am, but it’s not that simple,” Twilight said softly.

“Yes it is!” one of the books on Twilight's shelf exclaimed. “Well maybe not the whole princess thing, but who wants that anyway, all that ruling the kingdoms and protecting the realm? Boooring.” The book levitated itself off the shelf and morphed into a multi-colored draconequus with mismatched wings and one fang hanging out of his mouth.

“Discord, what are you doing here?!” Twilight yelled.

“Oh nothing, I just was just thinking I haven’t seen my good friend Princess Twilight in a while, and then I thought ‘well why don’t I pay her a visit?’ And just as I was about to knock I heard you try to explain to this poor little filly that your magic just isn't strong enough to give her new wings, and what a coincidence! Here I am and I’m certainly powerful enough to do something so trivial as give one little filly one little set of functioning wings.” As he said the last words his voice dropped and his smile grew to something just shy of sinister.

Twilight was about to tell Discord exactly what he could do with his offer to help until she looked down at the heartbroken filly whose eyes had lit up with excitement at the prospect of getting the one thing she wanted more than anything. Twilight knew that feeling, if she hadn't gotten into Celestia’s school she wasn't sure what she would have done. And if somepony had offered her a spot, could she really have turned them down? Even if that pony was a draconequus who had a well deserved reputation for leaving a trail of chaos in his wake.

“What do you want in return?” Twilight asked cautiously.

“I don’t want anything. Can’t I just offer to help out of the goodness of my heart?” At that last word Discord morphed into a cartoon shaped heart, familar to everypony who had ever drew one. Twilight eyed him suspiciously as Discord continued, “After all, if we’re friends and the little pegasus is your friend, then that makes her my friend. And don’t friends help each other? Hmmm?” Discord wondered out loud.

Scootaloo just sat there as Twilight and the odd looking draconequus talked, but she couldn't help but get excited.

Twilight bit her lip as Scootaloo stared up with her those hopeful eyes. “You can fix her wings? And you’re not asking for anything in return? The wings won’t randomly disappear as she’s flying one day or anything like that?” Twilight asked.

“Perish the thought! Maybe the old Discord would have played such a cruel trick,” a suddenly ancient looking Discord said as he leaned on a red cane that had just materialized. “But new reformed Discord only wants to make everypony happy,” he said as he morphed back into his unusual self, the can disapering.

Twilight again stared down at the small orange pegasus whose tiny wings were now twitching with excitement. “I suppose it’s up to you Scootaloo, but I’d be careful if I were in your hooves,” the lavender alicorn finally said, knowing that any stronger warnings were likely to be futile.

Scootaloo looked up at Discord, excited at the possibility of getting wings but also smart enough to recognize that Twilight's concern was grounded in something real. “You can really do that? You can fix my wings?” the orange filly asked tentatively.

“All you have to do is say please,” said the draconequus with only the smallest hint of ominous glee in his voice.

Scootaloo stood there for what felt like an hour. She had heard how Discord once ruled Equestria spreading chaos wherever he went. Like all her friends she had heard Rainbow Dash tell the story of how Discord once set Twilight and her friends against each other and it wasn't until Rainbow had come to her senses that the six friends had reunited to turn Discord back into stone, (at least that’s how Rainbow Dash told the story). But she had also heard how Discord was supposedly reformed. Fluttershy even said that they were friends, and Fluttershy wouldn't be friends with anypony who was evil, would she?

Besides, he was offering her the chance to fly, he couldn't be that terrible if he was willing to do that. Even if he was , so what? Bad ponies, (or draconequuses in this case), could still do nice things right? He was offering her the chance to fly! To soar among the crowds like the coolest pony ever and she’d probably earn her cutie mark because clearly it must have something to do with flying and all she had to do was say please?! One little word was all that was standing between her and the chance to for once not feel like she was somehow broken. Why should she turn away from such a lopsided offer? “Okay, please can you fix my wings?” Scootaloo asked equal parts nervous and excited.

“Of course I can little filly! One brand new, fully functioning, set of wings coming right up!”

Scootaloo expected a big dramatic flourish with Discord’s brow furrowed in concentration as he carefully weaved a complex spell that bent the fabric of spacetime as he reformed an entire universe based on the premise that Scootaloo would now have wings. Instead Discord merely snapped his talons and Scootaloo was enveloped in a cloud of white smoke. When the smoke dissipated, Scootaloo was delighted to find that instead of the small stubby wings she was used to seeing she now had a full grown, for her size anyway, set of orange wings. Her mouth hung slack and for a moment she was unable to fully process her new reality. Before she could say thank you, however, Discord snapped his talons again and disappeared. In the space he once occupied a disembodied voice called out. “Enjoy the wings, I’ll check in with you...later,” and if Scootaloo didn't know any better she would have swore that there something menacing in the way he said that last part.


This. Is. Awesome! Scootaloo thought as she marveled at the sensation of her wings trapping the air, propelling her forward every time she flapped. She loved how she could feel the bumps in the current as she glided but most of all she loved feeling like she was finally whole. How can anypony ever get enough of this? Why wouldn't they want to feel this way all the time? Suddenly, she saw a prismatic blur a few hundred yards ahead of her. Rainbow Dash! I can go flying with Rainbow Dash! Faster than she even knew she could fly she hurried off to meet her idol.

“Hi Rainbow Dash, check out my new wings!” the excited pegasus exclaimed while performing a small inverted corkscrew.

At the sight of Scootaloo hovering in the air for more than a few seconds, Rainbow Dash stopped in mid flight, her mouth visibly hanging open. “Whoa kid, what happened? Last I checked some doctor was saying something about your wings not being able to grow any larger,” the surprised pegasus replied.

“Oh well I was at Twilight's library and-”

“Twilight can grow pegasus wings? Huh, I should ask her to make mine bigger.”

“Umm not exactly, while I was there Discord kinda showed up and-”

Rainbow Dash interrupted Scootaloo again, but this time with far more urgency. “Discord! Scootaloo, what did you do?” Rainbow Dash grabbed the orange filly and shook her violently, much to Scootaloo’s surprise.

“Nothing, he said he just wanted to help!” Scootaloo called out from inbetween shakes, growing more than a little afraid at Rainbow's reaction.

Seeing the honest fear in Scootaloo's eyes Rainbow Dash let out a deep breath as she tried to calm herself down. “I’m sorry,but ya gotta give them back kid. You don’t know Discord like we do, he’s bad news.”

“Give them back? But I just got them. Discord promised he wasn't asking for anything in return.” Scootaloo protested.

“Look kid, I don’t know what Discord’s game is but if I know one thing it’s that you can’t trust that guy.”

“You don’t understand, if I give them back I’ll never be able to fly!” Scootaloo responded with no small measure of outrage.

Rainbow shook her head sadly. “Maybe not kid, but whatever his price is, it’s not worth it.”

“Yes it is!” Scootaloo screamed “How would you feel if you found out you could never fly again?"

Truthfully Rainbow Dash couldn't imagine what her life would be like if she couldn't fly, but she also knew that making a deal with Discord was asking for trouble. “Trust me kid, you need to walk away before this goes any further,” was her response.

“You just don't understand. How could you?” Scootaloo yelled as she sped off with tears in her eyes.

And so for the next few days she avoided Rainbow Dash. She still loved flying but she couldn't get Rainbow’s voice out of her head. You need to walk away? It’s not fair, I finally get my wings and now Rainbow wants me to just give them up. How can Rainbow Dash of all ponies ask me to do that?

Scootaloo sat alone in a cave on the edge of the Everfree forest. She wasn't entirely sure how she got there, but it was quiet and therefore a good place to think. So far this hadn't been going at all like she thought it would. She figured she’d get her wings and everything would be great; but instead the one pony whose opinion meant more to her than anything told her she needed to just give up the idea that she would ever fly like a normal pegasus. A small nagging voice that emanated from the deepest reaches of her subconscious managed to penetrate her outrage. What if Rainbow is right? Maybe I should give them up. Before she could finish this thought process a voice interrupted her.

“Why the long face? Aren't you enjoying your new wings?” the cave wall said, slowly morphing into a familiar looking draconequus.

“They’re great, it’s just Rainbow Dash thinks I should give them back. She says that you’re going to ask me for a favor and that it won’t be worth it.”

“I’m offended,” the draconequus exclaimed as his skin turned bright red. “To think that Rainbow Dash thinks I only did something nice so I could get a favor in return.”

“So you’re not going to ask me for a favor?” Scootaloo asked hopefully.

“For giving you wings, not at all. But if you want to keep them-”

Scootaloo leaped up in surprise. “Wait, what?”

“As it turns out I do need one little favor from you,” Discord said smiling with a sinister gleam in his eye.

“But you said you weren't going to ask for anything.”

“For giving you the wings? Of course not! But I never said anything about taking them away.” Discord snapped his talons and suddenly Scootaloo’s wings were transformed back to their pre-Discord intervention state.

“You- that’s- not fair, please give them back,” the tiny pegasus whimpered. She had only had them for a short time but the prospect of losing frightened her more than she would ever admit.

“Awww whoever told you life was fair?" Discord said mockingly. "The fact is that I’m sick of living under the threat of being turned back into stone and you can help me fix that little inconvenience. All you need to do is find out where Twilight and her friends are keeping those blasted elements and bring me two of them.”

“Why can’t you just use your magic to teleport them over to you?” Scootaloo asked with no small trace of anger in her voice.

“I can’t touch the elements, but you can.” Discords grin began to grow larger until it no longer masked the menacing nature behind it. “Everypony thinks the elements are these wondrous magical gems that embody goodness,” Discord continued with his venom laced rant. “But they’re not; they’re just rocks, tools, and they’re only as strong as the ponies who wield them. And here’s another secret.” At this Discord’s voice dropped to a whisper. “They’re not invulnerable.”

Scootaloo sat there staring at Discord, not entirely sure what the draconequus was hinting at.

“Ugh, do I really need to give you a lesson on how the elements work? Fine. The elements act like a focusing device, an amplifier if you will. Twilight’s Element is magic not because it’s some imbued property of her stone but because Twilight is really good at magic. Rarity’s stone is generosity because Rarity is generous, Applejack is honest, Fluttershy is kind and so on and so forth. The stones don’t have any special powers, they just respond to what’s already there.”

Scootaloo sat absolutely silently as a horrible realization came over her.

“Which means if a different pony were to put them on…” Discord let his words hang in the air.

“The Elements would change,” whispered Scootaloo.

“And if the pony wearing them wasn't a perfect little goody two hooves, well then there would be a completely new Element,” Discord finished Scootaloo’s thought process out loud.

“But wouldn't the Elements just change back when the original bearer put it on again?” Scootaloo asked desperate to prevent Discords plan from going any further.

“Well yes, but I’m only powerless against the elements because they’re just so darn pure. Introduce a little chaos into the picture and all of the sudden I can do whatever I want to them.”

“You’re going to destroy them aren't you?”

“Not all of them, just two; and without the threat of those blasted elements hanging over my head, I’ll finally be free to resume my reign of chaos,” at the idea of finally ruling over Equestria again Discords eyes twinkled as visions of anarchy danced in his head.

“Ponies are going to get hurt aren’t they?” Scootaloo asked, but she knew the answer.

Discord shrugged. “No one you care about; in fact, help me with this and I promise to leave Ponyville and your friends alone forever.”

“What if I say no?” Scootaloo asked with the smallest hint of defiance.

Discord’s voice suddenly became devoid of any sense of mirth.“Look, here’s the deal kid, it’s a special one time only never going to happen again offer; you bring me two of the elements and help me destroy them and in return you get your wings and I promise to leave Ponyville forever; or you can say no and begin the long walk back into town right now, it’s up to you.”

“Why two?” the orange filly wondered, momentarily distracted from the terrible ramifications of Discord’s plan.

Discord sneered at the thought of facing the six Elements of Harmony wielded by their current bearers “Five Elements are still pretty powerful and while I am the Lord of Chaos and Disharmony I’d prefer not to leave these sorts of things to chance, so two it is.”

Scootaloo stood there paralyzed with fear; she couldn't really betray her friends like that. Could she? Discord said that Ponyville would still be safe, do you really want to be broken forever?

“Well what’s it going to be?” Discord tapped his claw impatiently “Going once, going twice…”

Scootaloo gritted her teeth “Fine, I’ll help you”.

Author's Note:

So this was just an idea I had for a story. This is my first fanfic so be critical but also try to be constructive maybe, I know that the pacing needs some work and it ends kind of abruptly, but I want to put it out there for pre-reading and editing so hopefully I can get some feedback to incorporate before I write the next chapter.