• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 1,216 Views, 34 Comments

Courage Will Pull Us Through - Cloudy Serrano



Discord has finally figured it out. He now has the ability to defeat the Alicorns once and for all. But will it all go as he originally planned, or will it all be prevented by a certain apprentice?

  • ...
7
 34
 1,216

Chapter 6: The Most Dangerous Game

~Chapter 6~

“Mew, who are those ponies?” I asked, dreading the answer.

“Easy! That one on the left, with the weird hat thing, is a human named Aura, but everyone else calls him Sir Aaron. I don’t know why they do, I mean, obviously he’s a Guardian of Aura, so why wouldn’t you call him Aura? But anyways, the one next to him, on the right, is a Pokemon named Lucario! He used to be a lot more fun, but then he had to go away for a really long time. I don’t know what he was doing, but when he came back, he made sure to keep everyone safe, just like he always does!” Mew finished enigmatically.

“Wait, hold on there, Mew. I don’t think I understand half of what you just said.” I said to him, utterly puzzled by his response. Aura Guardian, human, Lucario, it just wasn’t making any sense! Walking forward to get a closer look at the crystals with the figures within, I realised that they looked fairly large, nearly 2 meters long each. “Okay, Mew. I need to know a few things. For one, what in Equestria is an Aura Guardian? Also, what is a human, and what is a Lucario?” I sighed in exasperation as I finished, not enjoying where this day was going. I may be the first pony to see this entire area, but Celestia was this place getting harder to understand by the second!

“Well, an Aura Guardian is someone who is really, really nice, and they have all these cool things they can do, like shoot big balls of Aura, and see into the future and the past, and sometimes they can even move things with their Aura! And the best part is, they’re so fun to play with! Most of the time, an Aura Guardian is a Lucario, or if they’re super strong, then they can be a Riolu. But sometimes, when a human is really, really fantasmic, then they get to become one, too!”

“But… But you didn’t answer my questions!” I exclaimed, totally confused by him. Everything that came out of him just ended with me having more questions than answers!

“Well sure I did, Twilight!” Mew laughed. “You just didn’t listen hard enough for your answers!”

“Oh Celestia, you’re almost as bad as… as… as Pinkie...” I trailed off as I came to a realisation. Stumbling back from the crystals, I fell to my haunches on the floor, my gaze lowering. Pinkie. One of my best friends. Gone. In fact, along with Pinkie, all of my other friends are gone, too. Or at least, so far away that reaching them in time to save Equestria would be unfathomable. My failed teleportation to the library was proof enough of that.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Mew asked, floating to where I could see him. “Are you sad? Or are you hurt? No, you’re probably in shock, ‘cause if you were hurt, I would’ve seen you get hurt, and there’s nothing to really be sad about right now.”

“M-Mew, I… I thought of something. Right now, I’m all alone. I don’t have any of my friends with me, and I have no idea how to reach them. In fact, there may even be a good chance I may never see any of them again.” Watery tears gently tugging at my vision, I felt myself beginning to slip far, far away from reality, and into the dark void of unconsciousness. There, the struggle in my mind began.

<~>

*Twilight’s mind*

“We need to keep trying! The entire fate of Equestria rests entirely on our back, and no matter what we can’t let it slip!” A loud, dauntless voice shouted.

“No, there’s no helping Equestria now. Anything we try to do will just end up being for naught.” Another voice moaned, distraught at the idea of being without friends.

“Equestria can be saved from Discord, we just need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get a move-on!” The initial voice snapped at the distressed one.

“But we’re just a single element, without any of the others even remotely close to us. In fact, all the elements are inaccessible at the moment, seeing as how they’re all guarding the Tree of Harmony. What hope do we have of being even a minor annoyance to Discord?”

The first one seemed to hesitate for a moment. “I- I don’t know. But what I do know is, no matter what happens, we need to at least say we tried to save Equestria when everything turned to Tartarus!”

A third voice came to light, sounding calmer and more determined than either of the two previous ones before. “Hey you two, if you would just stop arguing, then we could actually get this done. Now, what we need to do is make sure we know is what we’re going to do about our situation outside. Any ideas?”

“Find Discord, and go give ‘em the old one-two!”

“Lay here and just DAAAHAAAYAAAH!”

“Really? Is that really the best you two can come up with? Either go fight Discord, or just give up and die?”

“Well, what else do you want us to do? It’s not like we have enough magic to teleport back to the Library, and we can’t exactly just send Princess Celestia a letter when time’s all broken.”

“Oh, I suppose we could find a bed, or even a couch, perhaps. Really, anything better than a cave to pass on in. Celestia knows how horrid that would be!” Beginning to go off on her own tangent on places she considered better places to die in than a cave, the second voice became promptly ignored by the other two.

“Okay, I see your point in this. But at the same time, we cannot just magically appear back in Ponyville to fight Discord. Also, we don’t even know where in Equestria we are, or if we’re even in Equestria anymore.”

“Yeah, but, I don’t see you coming up with any better ideas!”

“Alright then, I guess we could… play his game?”

At her response, the first voice promptly burst into a loud, boisterous laughter. After what seemed like an eternity of it, she finally managed to contain it, and get it down to a reasonable chuckle. “Y-you really think, after what he’s done, and what he’s capable of, that we should put our trust into him? Hah, that’s a real good one. Next you’ll be saying we need to trust these weird animals that found us!”

“Actually, yes, I was going to say that we should trust them! If we are to have any hope of saving Equestria, then those Pokemon are our best hope. They know the land, and they might even be able to point us in the right direction of what we need to do. Besides, if we don’t play his game, then there’s almost no chance of us ever getting back to save Equestria.”

“But… ugh, look, it’s not like I don’t wanna save Equestria. I just don’t think we should do it his way.”

“I know, that if I had the choice, and there was any other way, I would take it in a heartbeat. But seeing as there is literally no other way, we are just going to have to make the best of it.”

“So then we’re all in agreement on this? We’re playing Discord’s game, just so we can save Equestria?”

The first voice was quiet for a moment, before sighing. “I don’t like it, but I know this is what has to be done. So for the sake of Equestria, I guess we could do it.”

The third voice decided that then was the time to remind the others of her presence. “Well, seeing as how I can’t give a valid argument after hearing both of your sides of the story, I suppose we could do this. But I will not consent to trusting that ruffian Discord anymore after this! Really, we should have never trusted him in the first place.”

“While I can’t say I’m surprised that you are able to see reason with this. But yes, I do agree with you that we should have never trusted Discord. But now that we have, we have to deal with the repercussions, and I’ll be a Diamond Dog before I ever trust Discord again!

“Okay, so now what? We’ve already got our plan, so what do we do to get it going?”

“Oh, that’s the easy part. Now, all we have to do, is play the most dangerous game.”

<~>

“You know, if you really wanted, I could be your friend. I mean, like, I may not be the same as your friends, but I am really furry, and pink is a pretty color. Unless, of course, you don’t like pink, but seriously, who doesn’t like pink?”

Startled by the floating pink feline, I immediately jumped back. “GAH! Mew! What was that for?” I angrily yelled.

A puzzled look covering his face, Mew asked, “What was what for? I only said I could be your friend.”

“Wuh- Wait a second. Mew, what happened right now? Not the pink thing, but before that. What happened before that?” I know something had happened, but I didn’t remember what. Hopefully Mew would be able to shed some light on it for me.

“What, do you mean when you went into shock? Or when you went unconscious? ‘Cause both of them were really, really scary. Not like scary scary, but like the kind where you get super, super surprised that it happened.” Mew ended, smiling the whole time.

I went unconscious? When did that happen? Unless… “Mew, what was the last thing I said before I went unconscious?”

Shrugging his tiny shoulders, Mew answered, “I don’t know, something about your friends, and never seeing them again. But hey, if you really want friends that bad, then I could be your friend, and we can have lots of fun!”

Ahah! That’s what it was! I had remembered that my friends were all in Ponyville, and I… I was here. Where I couldn’t meet them. “Oh. Yeah, I- I think I remember now.” Suddenly, a realisation came to me. If my friends were in Ponyville with Discord, and I was here, where his magic couldn’t reach me, then that means… there was still hope. I had the ability to save Equestria. But… my friends… would have to just hang on until I could get to them.

Fueled by determination, adrenaline, and loyalty to my friends and Equestria, a grim smile came to my face. I was ready. “Okay, Mew. I know what I have to do. I have to play Discord’s game, so that I can get back to my friends, and save Equestria.”

Having earlier decided to float around randomly, Mew came to a stop above my head. “You know, Twilight, I really still have no idea what most of what you say means, but if you don’t want to be my friend, and you just want your old ones instead of me, I guess that’s okay.”

My lips curling upwards as though fishhooks were tugging at the corners, I laughed playfully. “Of course I’ll be your friend, Mew. But right now, I think I have some explaining to.”

And so, Mew and I began to talk. We discussed many things, and I told him many, many stories about my life in Ponyville. And then, he told me about his life in the Tree.

Author's Note:

Alright, so I've been doing a bit of work on this recently, and I think I'm getting back into the groove for writing! YAY! MORE WRITING! Okay, and for the story, who thinks they know what's happening to Twilight? Come on down to the comments, and comment what you think is going to happen! I may be the author, and may have already decided on what's going to happen, but this story hasn't been written yet, so who knows what could happen, and what sort of impact you could have! Lastly, if anyone sees any grammar errors and such in the story, please comment them down bellow, or message them to me via the FimFiction private message if you aren't sure and don't want to look bad(Not that I'll let you:D).