• Published 6th Mar 2014
  • 1,863 Views, 36 Comments

Dodo! - ChewyCard



After a strange dream, a writer wakes up in the body of Scootaloo in the real world.

  • ...
2
 36
 1,863

Chapter 1: Chewy is Not a Dodo!

The first day


In a small city, a lonely fan fiction writer stared at the worn out screen of his laptop, watching his screensaver. He was feeling uninspired after several uneventful days, it was all he could do to sit there desperate for something, anything to write about. Like a flash of light in the dark, an idea presented itself to him; quickly, he opened up Microsoft Word to type his story down while it was still fresh in his thoughts.The writer’s name was Chewy and his grand idea was a story involving his favorite pony, Rainbow Dash; the story, like his life, was unremarkable but he was too desperate for ideas to care. The main problem with his writing was that he was terrible at characterizing any of the characters in his stories, either they were out of character, or just didn’t sound like they did on the show.

As he became lost in his thoughts the strangest thing happened, he started to envision that Rainbow Dash was talking to him in a empty, dark space.

“Rainbow Dash? What’s going on, are you here to help with my writing?”

"I sure am! So Squirt, you want to know about me? Well it’s always a pleasure to talk to a fan. I believe that if you’re gonna do something you should try to look as cool as possible while doing it, but I’m also loyal and care about my friends. Sometimes I… I can be a bit of an egghead, but I would never admit that to anypony. Oh, and I really wish I could be some kind of awesome hero like Daring Do. I mean, I’ve done a lot of cool things, but Daring Do always wins on her own while I usually end having to have my friends help me."

Chewy was baffled, he couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Was his favorite fictional character really communicating with him?

'Is this real, or am I high right now? I don’t know, I can barely remember what happened yesterday these days...'

Chewy wasn’t sure if any of this was real, but inspiration was inspiration regardless of its source, and he could hardly afford to turn up such an offer.
Yet even with the new insight into Rainbow Dash, he still couldn’t grasp how to write her in character; the harder he tried, the more he screwed up.
Minutes later he came back to reality and slammed his laptop shut in frustration.
“This is pointless, I’ll never write as well as some of the bigger authors out there, I just can’t get these characters right.” His anger soon gave way to exhaustion, since he always grew tired after getting hyped up. “I think I’ll take a break” Chewy said with a yawn. Climbing underneath his sky blue comforter, he rested his head on his pillow and slowly drifted off to a deep slumber.

In his dream, he meet Rainbow Dash again, except this time she looked far angrier than before. "Hey! I take some of my valuable time to tell you about myself and you fall asleep on me? I wasn't finished, not cool!"

This time Chewy didn’t want ideas, he just wanted out of this rollercoaster of a dream before it got ugly!

“I… I’m sorry Rainbow Dash, I am trying, really, but I’m just no good at this.” Chewy hoped that this would calm the pony down, but he could tell by the fire in her faded garnet eyes that she was furious with his self pitying ways.

"Look… practice makes perfect, you’ve been writing for what, a month? I know a lot of ponies that didn't have a great start but later became awesome... but not as awesome as me of course. Practice makes perfection, thats why I may be lazy sometimes, but I never slack off in my training. Uh… don't tell this to anypony, but the nickname Rainbow Crash? Let's just say It took me a lot of time to get good at landing." Rainbow Dash then looked at the writer, "Ugh, humans are so ugly, I know I promised Luna I would help you but… can't you look like a pony or something? Please?"

Chewy looked at the cyan pegasus with curiosity.

'Could I transform myself into a pony? Hell no, I can’t; I don’t even know how imagine a red ball in my dreams, let alone change my appearance.'

“I’m not that ugly, am I? I mean, there are some good looking humans; I might not be a hunk myself, but I am not the worst of the worst. And… wait, back up a second; when you said 'Luna', you mean THE Princess Luna?”

"Yep, Princess Luna of Equestria, the mare of the night, the guardian of pony dreams and all that. How else did you think I’d be talking to you right now? Anyway, I don't want to waste anymore time, do you want my help or not?" Rainbow Dash tapped her right front hoof on the ground, looking impatient.

He watched the hoof tap to an unheard beat as he began to sweat, he knew what he wanted to say, but as usual he just couldn’t find the right words. He looked up at her face, greeted with a impatient, underwhelmed expression. “Uh…” Chewy tried to form words, but wasn’t able to for some odd reason; instead, he just gave a nodding gesture.

‘I don’t know what I am getting myself into, but I hope it isn’t anything embarrassing. It’s weird, I don’t remember taking anything that would have caused a dream this vivid and realistic.’

"Ah fine, know what? I am tired of playing nice. After all, none of this is real, so let’s make things interesting!" Chewy found himself shrinking, and the next thing he knew, Rainbow Dash looked a lot taller and bigger than him. His vision became strange, is like he could see some orange muzzle in front of his eyes…. wait, an orange muzzle?

Chewy craned his neck and looked up at Rainbow Dash, “What… what did you do? I didn’t have an orange muzzle a few seconds ago!”

He looked down, instead of finding a pair of bright neon jogging shoes, he saw a pair of short, orange legs and orange hooves. Chewy jumped ten feet into the air and fell on his back, stunned by his transformation, “WHAT THE HELL?” He snapped his head towards his accomplice, “What did you do to me?!”

"What part of 'this is a dream' don't you understand?" Dash said frustrated. "I just wanted to show you how easy it is to change shape here. After all, this is a lucid dream or whatever Luna calls them, you can do anything you want, as long as you can imagine it! And that’s why I made you look like Scoots- I mean, it felt right to make you look like her, since I’m basically your teacher now. Wait… are… are you a male human? Oops!" Rainbow Dash smiled, not at all sorry at what she just did.

Chewy felt anger begin to boil up inside of him, his eyes glared at the pegasus in front of him.

'If only I had a horn, I’d teach her to laugh at my misery!'

He considered that since this was a dream he should be able to control it, but despite his best efforts he couldn’t even begin to change back. What kind of lucid dream let everyone but the dreamer control it?

“Why did you turn me in a little… filly? I don’t want to be a girl, I want to be a guy!” He protested, standing himself up. He angrily trotted towards the pony, face still contorted in an adorable scrunch, hardly intimidating to Dash or anyone.

"Well, so what? I just thought of the first thing that came into my head.”

“But I don’t want to be like this!”

“Yeah, well sometimes I wish I was born a few hundred years ago so I could be some kind of cool knight, but we can’t always get what we want, can we? Besides, have you forgotten this is just a dream? You’ll be back to normal as soon as you wake up!”

“I guess you do have a point there…” He trailed off, his anger diminishing.

"Listen kid, I was trying to make you use your imagination, and hey, I even gave you an idea for a story!" Rainbow Dash looked really frustrated. " You could write about turning into a pony!”

“I guess so… I’m just afraid I’ll be stuck like this when I wake up, this IS a pretty realistic dream after all.”

Rainbow Dash thought for a second ”You wanna talk about fear? You remember the second time I did a Sonic Rainboom, and nearly lost all of my friends? I was so scared I wouldn’t reach them in time, it was the scariest moment of my life! I guess my greatest fear is them dying.”

Chewy nodded his head, grinning and staring at Rainbow Dash with admiring eyes, “Yes, and you saved Rarity and three of your lifelong heroes at one time during the Best Young Flyers Competition, and won the grand prize by the declaration of Princess Celestia!” His eyes quickly shrunk to pin pricks, and wore a look of utter confusion, “How did I know that?”

"Well, Luna explained to me that in your world, they have stories about me and my friends, and that I am kind of famous there." Rainbow Dash said "Not that I’m surprised, I should be famous in every world!”

Chewy began to take mental notes. So, she was afraid of something! Now Chewie would have something to write about when he needed to add conflict to the plot.

"So, what else can we talk about... I know! I can be quite impulsive sometimes and if I want to do something, it’s pretty hard to change my mind." Rainbow Dash then looked at the new Scootaloo "Hehe, I shouldn't have changed you, but you look kind of cute like that."

Chewy couldn’t help but give a blush of embarrassment and glare at her with another angry, scrunched face, but he wasn’t as mad as before, he was just a little messed up in the head right now, “I am not cute!”

"I know I know, you don’t want to be cute, you want to be cool like me, right? Well… you know all the boasting I usually do? Sometimes I do it because… I want to hide the fact that I’m scared. Like when my friends and I had to face Nightmare Moon. We didn't know much about what was going on, and this scary mare appears out of nowhere saying, ‘night is gonna last forever’. I was just being brave so the others didn't get scared too."

"So… I hope you realize I am usually never this honest with anypony, not even Fluttershy knows some of these things and she’s my best friend. So what you say Squirt, can you keep this like, our secret?"

Chewy gave a quick nod, he could tell that Rainbow Dash trusting him was a huge privilege, out of all the ponies she could have chosen, she went with him, who she barely knew. He felt honored to have been trusted with this information, “You have my word Rainbow Dash!” Chewy answered.

"Good, so…" Rainbow Dash felt like she was forgetting something, and tried to think hard about what it could be "So Scootaloo, do you want some ice-cream?"

Chewy felt a little confused, but he knew Rainbow Dash was being very genuine with her question. Looking back on how they interacted before he became… wait… did she just call him Scootaloo?

'Am I really Scootaloo, the little filly who looks up to Rainbow Dash like a big sister?' Suddenly, his mind rushed with many different thoughts; should he act as Scootaloo, to make the conversation feel more natural, or act as himself? He pushed the thoughts away and decided to cross that bridge when he got there. “Sure!”

"Good, I love ice-cream, and know the best thing about food in a dream? You don’t get fat!" Rainbow Dash smiled and soon the two pegasi were eating rocky road sundaes together. Then, Chewy started to wake up, but before that, he heard a familiar voice yelling, "RAINBOW DASH! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THAT POOR HUMAN?"

Chewy felt like he was being pulled away from Rainbow Dash as the voice echoed through his head; he tried to hold on to the dream, but within seconds it was over. Blinking away the sun’s glaring rays, he drowsily stood up and rubbed his eyes. He looked around to find himself on his normal bed, and looked down at his… hooves? He was bewildered, what had happened while he was dreaming? His head start to race with panic, and he began to sweat at this strange turn of events. Taking a look at his surroundings, he noticed how much bigger everything seemed; what on earth was going on? He could only guess that he had turned into some kind of pony, but why?
Then, knowing how these kind of things used to go in stories, he fearfully pulled out his covers as best as he could and looked down 'there'. Yes, he had also joined the female gender, but why had this happened? And why had it happened to him?

He remembered his dream vaguely, but couldn’t recall the specifics however to save his life… or should he say ‘her’ life? Why was he suddenly a pony; to be more specific, a little filly?

When he looked at his hooves again he noticed they were a dark shade of orange. Though he tried his best to remember how he became this way, but couldn’t remember why or how he had transformed. All he had in his head were hazy snippets of his dream, vague glimpses that told him nothing. How could he possibly have forgotten such an important event so fast? The only part of the dream he could remember was someone shouting at Rainbow Dash. Unfortunately, this was hardly helpful information.

The more logical side of himself refused to accept his new form, ‘This can’t be my fate! Why am I a pony? Dreams aren’t suppose to affect the real world like this!’ Chewy shook his head, tears of denial and frustration beginning to take shape in his eyes.

This couldn’t be real. He couldn’t be stuck like this, he had to find a way to return to his normal body as soon as possible.. Chewy soon grew into a state of panic, he darted his head in every direction possible, searching for a solution.

'There has to be a way to reverse this… right?'

Maybe… maybe he was still dreaming? Maybe it was all a second dream like in that movie. Now, if this were still a dream, he could just pinch himself to wake up, right? He tried to do so, only to realize to his horror that his hooves couldn’t pinch at all!
Then he slowly started to wonder about his appearance.

"Scootaloo… I am her?" He looked himself over again; orange coat, check; reddish pink mane, check; lack of cutie mark, check. And of course he had become female. There was no doubt about it, he was the spitting image of Scootaloo.

He tried to get out of bed and clumsily fell onto his side again, still reeling from the shock of it all and too drained to even try to wake himself up, but soon he found that this world was all too real to be a dream; he was stuck in the form of a cute filly with no way out. He raised his head and looked at his head to the ceiling and shouted, “CURSE YOU RAINBOW DASH!!!!!” He felt the strangest feeling, like he was imitating a mad scientist from a very familiar cartoon after having his plans foiled by a certain platypus. Should he start to refer to himself as female now? Maybe this was permanent and he would be a female pony forever? A sudden knock on the door quickly drew his attention,

“Chewy… is everything ok?” Chewy’s eyes shrunk to pinpoints, ‘Horse-feathers, my mother is awake!’

Then, Chewy looked amazed as everything just… froze? No, that wasn't right. It was more like everything but himself turned into grayscale. The strange occurrence only lasted a few seconds, and then he had to face the fact that he was a little, cute, female pegasus, and his mother finding out, again.

The door swung wide open, “Is everythi…” his mom paused in mid-sentence at the discovery of an orange pegasus filly laying on her son’s bed. After a few awkward seconds her face broke into a smile.

“Aaaawwwww, how precious! How did you get in here?” She asked, her voice as sweet as honey.

Chewy was so confused by her mother’s reaction that she didn’t know what to say. Instead he took the opportunity to flee at the sight of a nearby stool standing next to the edge of the bed frame. He stood proud and tall on his hind legs (though this wasn’t a very impressive sight) and charged toward the stool; unfortunately, the comforter got slightly tangled around his legs and caused him to slip and fall off of the bed. The comforter landed on top of him, leaving him an adorable heap on the floor.

A small hole in the fabric showed his mother approaching; taking his chance, he bolted out from under the covers as fast as his short legs could carry him. As he charged out of the room, a thought came to mind, ‘Maybe I could use my body to earn money giving rides to little kids or something.’ As tempting as it sounded, the scenario of being sued for any number of reasons, or being shipped off to a zoo to be gawked at by little children, or worse, getting owned by Hasbro to be used for toy marketing; The last one terrified him. The thought induced him to yell loudly, “I DON’T WANT TO BE OWNED BY HASBRO!!!”

Chewy grew tired as he entered the living room, he couldn’t outrun his mother, she was easily three times his size, and he wasn’t yet used to his new body anyway. He looked around in an effort to find a good hiding spot, instantly, his eyes were drawn to the couch. Since he was so small, he squeezed underneath the large sofa easily.

"Come here little pony, please, I won't hurt you." His mother said in a pleading tone as she entered the living room. She looked around at all of the possible hiding places a small pony could take refuge. She was about to begin by looking behind the TV stand when she heard a faint sneeze coming from underneath the couch. She knew it would be hard for her to get the little filly from under the couch and had an idea. "Do you like chocolate? The ones in the cartoon seemed to love it."

Chewy really, REALLY wanted to just stay under the couch, but he had Scootaloo’s body, and was also female. The combination of the fact that all girls love chocolate plus the fact that all little kids love sweet things was just too much for him and without thinking he ended saying. "YES!"

Stupid TV land logic! Some kids weren't that fond of sweet things, and he knew girls who weren't fans of chocolate. Still, why resist? If his mother was happy treating him like a cute cartoon horsie, why not let her do it? Plus it was CHOCOLATE!

His mother came back with a bar of chocolate, his pony nose was caught by the smell as soon as she unwrapped it. The new Scootaloo got out from under the couch and jumped over to it. Letting his mother pet him in exchange of small pieces of chocolate that she was feeding into 'her' mouth.

As he enjoyed the chocolate, Chewy was grateful of not being a real pony, or chocolate would have been fatal. Chocolate was poisonous to equines, and also to dogs.

'I guess equestrian ponies have different stomachs to regular ones', she thought as she drifted off.

Author's Note:

Thanks to THE J.A.M. for beta reading this chapter.