• Published 19th Feb 2014
  • 4,806 Views, 36 Comments

Redemption of a Wonderbolt Cadet - twilightsparkle3562



Following the events of "Wonderbolt Academy," Lightning Dust reveals to Spitfire the real reason behind her recklessness and is given another chance to become a Wonderbolt. However, will Rainbow Dash and the other cadets accept her new outl

  • ...
5
 36
 4,806

An Interruption

Chapter 4

“An Interruption”

For the rest of the second night of her second chance, Lightning Dust couldn’t sleep over the conversation that she had with Spitfire. The fact that Spitfire was just like her made Lightning Dust believe that Spitfire was trying to keep her cadets from making her relive a dark moment in her training to get to where she was. The next morning, Lightning Dust rejoined Rainbow Dash for the second level of the obstacle course, which wasn’t a race the first time around.

“Today you will be doing the next level of the obstacle course,” said Spitfire to the cadets that morning. “It is has been modified for the next level of your training and unlike the last time, it will be a race with the fastest team earning high marks.”

“That’s odd,” thought Rainbow Dash, who was just as shocked as Lightning Dust. “I always thought the obstacle courses were never about winning.”

“That’s what I always thought,” added Lightning Dust, as the rest of the cadets took their places.

“Remember,” continued Spitfire, standing on the left side of the cadets with her whistle in her hoof. “Any pair that splits apart will be disqualified, do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, ma’am!” replied the cadets, getting into position. As soon as Spitfire blew her whistle, the cadets took to the air and headed for the first obstacle of the course.

However, it wasn’t long after the cadets were sent on their way did Spitfire notice a pair of Pegasus ponies flying near the edge of the course. Being a Wonderbolt and a military officer, Spitfire fluttered over to discover who the ponies were. But before Spitfire could find out who they were, they quickly took off.

“Something strange is going on here,” said Spitfire, scratching her chin. “If those ponies had breached security…”

“Something tells me that they are trying to sabotage the obstacle course,” remarked one of the guard ponies. “Shall we go after them?”

But Spitfire could sense something was up with them and the sounds of foals laughing rang out through her mind. This caused the Wonderbolt captain to flinch for a few seconds as the sounds of her fillyhood were heard.

“Captain, are you all right?” asked the second guard pony. He tried to offer support to Spitfire, but she pushed him away with her wing.

“I won’t let this curse I have affect my cadets,” she cried, hastily taking to the sky. “Get back here in the name of Princess Celestia!”

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust were passing each of the pairs that came across their path. For a while, it seemed like that they were going to win the race.

“One more to go,” panted Rainbow Dash, trying to fly faster than ever. “We’re almost to the finish, Lightning Dust!”

Lightning Dust could only give out a small smile as she felt a sense of relief knowing that she was going to win by flying fair and square without being reckless. Soon, they came towards the finish line with Bulk Biceps and another Pegasus pony not too far behind.

“We can beat them!” cried Lightning Dust. “Lead the way, Rainbow Dash!”

But just as they were about to reach the finish line, the sounds of screams were heard and the roars of winds were heard and Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust turned around to see a tornado heading right towards them. The twister was sucking in everything it came into contact with: ponies, obstacles and everything else.

“What’s that?” cried Rainbow Dash as they felt the twister coming towards them. “It’s sucking in everypony!”

A thought came to Lightning Dust’s mind that this was no ordinary tornado. If Lightning Dust knew that she created a tornado, she would have been kicked out of the academy.

“We got to do something!” shouted Rainbow Dash, flying towards the twister. “Come on, Lightning Dust!”

So the two pegasi flew towards the twister and saw many of the cadets spinning around in the cyclone. Lightning Dust then looked up to see two very familiar ponies that created the twister. A look of anger came onto Lightning Dust’s face upon seeing who they were.

“It can’t be,” gasped Lightning Dust and fluttering her wings wildly, the teal Pegasus pony flew towards the top of the tornado and pushed the ponies responsible hard and up against the side of the cliff. Released from the grip of the twister, the cadets plummeted down to the bottom of the cliff and into the safety nets.

When the dust cleared, Lightning Dust’s eyes crossed upon seeing who the culprits were: the two ponies that had been haunting her mind throughout her reformation.

“Lightning Dust, stand down,” ordered Spitfire, her eyes glancing on the culprits as well. “Let me handle this.”

But, Lightning Dust didn’t move and continued to glare down at the two ponies who responded by growling menacingly like a pair of wild dogs. The red Pegasus got up and charged at Lightning Dust pummeling her to the ground much to the shock of the remaining ponies.

“Lightning Dust!” cried Rainbow Dash and despite the animosity that she held for Lightning Dust after the incident with her friends, Rainbow Dash flew down as fast as her wings could carry her, only to be stopped by the blue Pegasus who slammed her into the side of the cliff.

“Where do you think you’re going?” laughed the blue Pegasus. “You ain’t gonna help that pathetic pony that my brother and I call a sister.”

Rainbow Dash’s grew wide upon hearing this and kicked the blue Pegasus back as Rainbow Dash snorted and charged at him, head butting him in the stomach. The blue Pegasus snarled and charged back at Rainbow Dash, but missed when Rainbow Dash took to the air. After a moment, Rainbow Dash charged back down towards the blue Pegasus and head butted him again into the mountain side. By this point, the blue Pegasus was weakened and was unable to fight anymore.

“Where’s Lightning Dust?” cried Spitfire as the two guardsponies seized the blue Pegasus.

“She’s down there somewhere!” cried Rainbow Dash, knowing now that time was of the essence. “Come on! We’ve got to find her!”

So, Rainbow Dash and Spitfire flew down to the bottom of the mountain while the guardsponies took the blue Pegasus away. Meanwhile, Lightning Dust and the red Pegasus were down at the base of the mountain with Lightning Dust lying face down in the ground.

“After all this time, you decide to throw away your chance of realizing that we are better than you,” chuckled the red Pegasus as Lightning Dust struggled to her feet. “You weren’t even supposed to be born to begin with!”

“What does that matter, Tornado Spin?” coughed Lightning Dust, as blood came out of her mouth. “You always said that I would amount to nothing and I have tried to prove you wrong.”

“Oh, please,” scoffed Tornado Spin, taking to the air. “You only joined the wonderbolts to get me and Hurricane Eye to shut up and look where it had gotten you.”

Lightning Dust was not going to be deterred by this and got herself to her feet, eager to show this pathetic colt of a brother that instead of causing her to feel weak, he made her feel stronger.

“Yes, I did,” snarled Lightning Dust, her wings folding out straight. “I came here to prove to you that I can become like you and Hurricane Eye. It caused me to make enemies and thanks to Rainbow Dash and Spitfire, I was given something neither you nor Hurricane Eye ever had…grace and humility.”

In response to his sister’s lecture, Tornado Spin rolled his eyes and stormed towards Lightning Dust, pushing her back to the ground.

“Spare me your sentimental nonsense,” snapped Tornado Spin, rearing his front legs at Lightning Dust. “I’ll give you grace and humility.”

But just as Tornado Spin was about to finish off his little sister, Rainbow Dash and Spitfire flew down and pushed Tornado Spin into the ground, knocking him out cold. With her older brother knocked out, Lightning Dust ran over and hugged Rainbow Dash tightly while Spitfire dragged Tornado Spin to his feet.

“You’re under arrest for trespassing and causing harm to the cadets,” hissed Spitfire, glaring into Tornado Spin’s eyes. “I made the mistake once and I will not make it again!”

She turned Tornado Spin over to the two guard ponies and then turned back towards Lightning Dust and Rainbow Dash.

“Lightning Dust,” said Spitfire. “I think you have some explaining to do about all of this and I have something that I have yet to say to you.”

So, Lightning Dust and Rainbow Dash followed Spitfire back to the Wonderbolt Academy where all would be revealed in time.