• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 444 Views, 3 Comments

A Certain Happening. - Sasquatch1812



An ordinary character wakes up in Equestria.

  • ...
12
 3
 444

Diamond Dogs


I went for a walk. A long walk. I had a lot to think about. I'd watched enough of the TV show to know that Luna had been the one that had been cast out. But she'd been put in the moon. What had they called her then? Nightmare Moon. That was it. Yes. She was the 'bad' one. I couldn't exactly remember why. Just that she'd gotten jealous and bitter or... or something like that. Something, in fact, very like what Luna had said had happened to Celestia. Did Luna know that, though? I really doubt Luna knew about a television show back on earth.

I now fully expected a visit from Celestia. Since she was banished/evicted/whatever I had no idea how or in what form she'd visit me, but... Yeah. Let's just say that the way things were going...? I wouldn't have been surprised if she rode down on a cloud or something. Also, I fully expected her to pitch a similar story than the one Luna had. Albeit from her angle. I blew out a sigh as I sat down on a log and rubbed a hand across my face.

It was crazy. It really was. I mean... I've never really been into praying much. Especially when praying for myself. But this... Gah. "God," I prayed quietly. "if this is a dream, I'd like to wake up now. If it's real? I could really do with your help." Well wasn't that the truth. According to Luna, the fate of Equesria rested on me. I don't know how. I didn't know why. This was, to me, a fake world full of pastels and.... I stopped. It wasn't full of pastels and bright colours. The colours that were there were muted by the darkness. Luna had said that it took strength – by which she obviously meant magic – to keep the world going. I guessed that she also had to let the moon set and rise, for to have the place permanently bathed in moonlight would be... just as bad as sunlight. Also, somewhat to my surprise, this place was growing on me.

Could it be that.... My thoughts were interrupted by a growl. I looked up and saw a pack of rather non-descript looking dogs. "Yes?" I asked politely.

"What you?"

"I'm a sasquatch." I told them.

"What's dat?"

"Me." Yeah. It's probaly not the best answer, but when someone asks a sasquatch 'What's a sasquatch?' what am I supposed to say?

They seemed to ponder this for a moment.

"You come wid us."

I shook my head. "Nah. I'll stay here."

"Come wid us. See boss."

"I don't think so. I can't imagine wanting to meet someone who'd boss you around."

"You scared?"

"Do I look it?" I grinned. I wondered what I looked like. I hadn't seen my face in a mirror before, When writing of this character in this form I'd thought of it as his 'Florence' grin. They grinned back. Hmm.... That hadn't worked as well as I'd hoped. There again, they had fangs, too.

"Boss say 'Bring him.'."

"What if I don't want to go?"
"We take."

Oh, great. I was about to get attacked by the Diamond dogs. The name slipped into my mind, amazingly. "Take me, then."

They rushed forwards, I flicked out a foot and, much to my astonishment, my timing was perfect. I got the one that was obviously the leader of this pack right under the chin. His jaw shut with an audible 'clop' and he spun over backwards. He actually performed two backwards somersaults before crashing to earth on his face.

The other two weren't stopping. I let drive with a fist and felt something crumple. That dog promptly lost all interest in the proceedings and lay down for a nap.

The third leaped at me, getting past my guard and crashing into my chest. He grabbed hold of my arm and bit down, worrying it. When he let go for a better purchase I slammed my hand into his mouth. As he tried to pull back, I wrapped the other arm around the back of his head. This had the effect of pushing my hand deeper into his mouth. He couldn't shut his jaw, he couldn't bite me, he couldn't do anything except wriggle. "Listen." I told him. The only response being another wriggle and a heave as he tried to break my grip.

"If you don't stop I'll hurt you." He stopped. "Now," I growled. "Would you like me to reach down your throat and pull your tail out so you can use it as a second tongue?" Yeah. A witty, snappy one-liner it wasn't but... it had the right effect. The dog looked up at me. I looked down at the dog, His ears and tail dropped.


"You know. I'm hungry." I snarled at him. "And where I come from, dog meat is considered a delicacy." I think that if I hadn't had my hand jammed in his throat he would have whimpered. "So unless you lot want to end up on a barbecue, I suggest you leave me – and the ponies – alone. Understand?"

I felt the neck muscles move as he tried to nod. I dropped him and he sat and choked for a moment before getting his breath back. "What... what ponies mean to you."

"Don't worry about what they mean to me. But if I hear about you annoying ponies I will hunt you down and cook you. Now take your mangy mates and get the hell out of my sight." So saying, I stood up, letting him get a good look at my size. He seemed to shrink a little and he quickly grabbed his two companions by their collars and started to drag them away. It obviously wasn't easy for him and he kept looking back, as if to ask whether he could stop. But my continued glaring at him told him that he'd better keep going until they were finally out of sight.

I rubbed my arm. It was bleeding slightly and the puncture wounds hurt like... well... a dog bite, I suppose, but it wasn't too bad. I sat back down on the log and thought about the dog's last question. What did the ponies mean to me?

It had been easy to dislike them when they were a silly, somewhat childish cartoon show. It had been easy and even fun to laugh at their misadventure. It had been a good source of amusement at how fake it all seemed. But now? Now I was here amongst them? I'd seen Applejack's expression. There had been nothing 'fake' about that. Nor had their been any fakeness about the expressions on the faces of her friends. Or on her grandmother. Now I thought of it I could look back. Yes, there were the signs. The grandmother. The matriarch of the family. She would have been hit hard by her grandson's death, too. But she'd seen that she was the one who had to remain strong for Applejack and.... I remembered hearing somewhere that Applejack had a sister, but I couldn't remember the name.

I'd also seen the foals and their childish enthusiasm and curiosity. Some mothers – and I hadn't blamed them at all – had kept their foals away from me, but those foals that had come close were... I rubbed the bridge of my nose. I seemed to be doing a lot of that, lately. The ponies meant something to me, now. It felt, somehow, as if I were responsible for them.

Ah, crud.

I had a lot of thinking to do. It seemed rather unfair for me, who knew almost nothing about this land or this situation and hadn't even liked the blasted show, had, seemingly been chosen to decide the fate of Equestria itself. All I knew was that I had to do what I could. But what? I don't give myself tickets for smarts. Sometimes I feel danged stupid. There were a lot out there who were better able, with better knowledge and better brains than I who would have been able to deal with this far better than I. So why the hell had I been chosen? I guess I'd never know.


I walked for some time in the moonlight. The moon, obviously being used by Luna as an alternative sun, was going down when I wended my way back to Ponyville. A few ponies greeted me and we were just discussing where I should sleep – it looked like it would be the barn again – when there was a ponyish scream and a young mare came hurtling into the village. She saw me and changed direction. Skidding to a stop she waved a note at me. "Help!" she cried out with only the desperate tone of a mother with a child in trouble. "Help, please! It's Aura. She's been taken by the Diamond dogs!"

I squatted down and quickly took the note. "Send big saskwach." the note read. "Or we kill little won. Any ponies, she dys. Any majics, she dys." the note was written in an almost illegible scrawl, but I could make out the words. There was a crude map on the back.

By now other ponies were gathering around. The 'Mane Six' as I knew them, were ready to go. "No!" I told them, showing them the note. Twilight and the others protested. "No!" I repeated. Not unless you want Aura to die." Yeah, I gotta admit, I was blunt. It did have the desired effect, though. Aura's mother surprised me when she joined me in persuading the others to stay. "If I'm not back by moonrise," I told them, hoping that 'moonrise' would be the same as 'sunrise' at home, "it will mean I've failed and then and only then should anypony" – oh, gods, I was even talking like them – "attempt anything." I smiled, somewhat grimly down at the distraught mother. "Don't worry. I'll bring her back." I looked at the others, "But first, I'll need some equipment. I want the biggest spear you've got. And I want it sharp. I also..." I outlined a few things I wanted. There were a few questions but everything I asked for was supplied. The mother started to thank me. "Don't thank me yet." I told her. "Wait until I get back."

I left, then, making my way across country at a run I never could have managed in my old form. The map wasn't exactly accurate and I got... misplaced, a time or two but I got there. I knew I'd arrived when I did, that's for sure. I might not have been the neatest bachelor back home, but I hadn't let things get this bad.

A little way out from the mouth of the cave, I built a fire. I built it deliberately and carefully, using rocks to surround it and then putting twigs and larger pieces of wood. A regular little fire. I then arranged a cooking spit over it, before lighting the fire. Then, and only then, did I turn my attention to the cave. Several dogs were watching me. "What you do?"

"I'm building a cooking fire. What else?" Now, if you're good dogs, and hand over the filly, I'll put it back out. But if I have to come in there..." I licked my lips.

"HELP!" Yup. The little filly was still there alright.

"So." I said with a confidence I didn't particularly feel. "What's it to be? Do I get the filly, or do I get the filly and have a barbecue?"

Another shouldered its way through. "You get nuthing." It growled. "We get you. We eat you.”

“Help! Please!” there came that voice again.

“I'm coming, Aura.” and so saying, I strode towards the mouth of the cave. I'd met Aura before so we weren't entirely unknown to each other.

The spear I had was a short one. The blade was rather narrow and made to come out of a wound easily. In my other hand I carried a mace. A spiked ball on a short handle. I didn't ask where they got it, I'd just asked for a club or something similar. Both handles were shorter than would have been considered normal for I did not know how much room I'd have to fight.

The mouth of the cave was tall enough for me, but I might have to watch the height further in.

I covered the distance between us at a quick walk. My eyes weren't focused on any particular point or dog but moved constantly. “Just wait a moment, Aura. I'll have you out of there in a moment and I'll take you back to Mummy.”

“Please.” came the whimper. “Ple...” there was the sound of a blow and the voice stopped.

I looked at the leader. “I told those who approached me earlier, to leave the ponies alone. I've just heard a young filly being struck. I will take her home. If you get hurt, that's your fault.”

“And if you get hurt, that yours.” he growled.

I shrugged. “Fair enough.”

I couldn't show weakness now. I certainly didn't feel as confident as I sounded. My increased size was actually a disadvantage in a way. I'd have to bend to be able to hit them. They could gnaw my ankles and bring me down, but I would have to either rely on stabbing and clubbing or I'd have to really get down and dirty.

The dogs crouched. There were ten dogs waiting for me and, undoubtedly, more inside. I shifted the spear in my hand, kept walking as if I didn't have a worry in the world, until I struck.
The mace came down onto a dog's skull. I both heard and felt the crunch as the heavy, spiked ball landed.

I slashed across me with the spear as two dogs leaped. I took a step back as they crashed into my chest, their throats spurting blood. Unfortunately, the dog who's head I hit had, somehow, fallen behind me. I tripped and went down.

The dogs roared in victory as they surged over me. There was snapping and snarling for some moments, and I'm not too ashamed to tell you that some of that came from me. I was fighting, not only for my life, but for Aura's.

I heaved myself into a sitting position, stabbing with the spear. I still had hold of the mace but with dogs all over me it was hard to wield. I blocked a dog from biting my face by jamming my forearm into its jaws and winced as it bit down. I shook it off, and hauled the mace from under a dog and jabbed rather than swung. The heavy ball had enough impetus to hurt noses, at least. I finally managed to sweep the dog from me enough to be able to lunge to my knees. The mace rose and fell. Bones crunched and dogs yelped and yowled. Each swing of the mace brought a crunch. Every jab of the spear brought a howl or yelp. Finally I was able to get to my knees and then my feet. I was bleeding. Especially my forearms and legs. I swayed, nearly going down as a dog hit my knees.

I was hurting now, hurting bad. But I wasn't dead yet, not by a long shot. I clubbed another couple of dogs and suddenly they gave way before me. I staggered forward, only just thinking to duck under a low part of the ceiling. The tunnel went on and I worked my way forward. A dog hit me from behind and nearly knocked me off my feet. I shifted both weapons to one hand, reached back and tore him off me, swinging him against a wall with a satisfying crunch and a wail of pain.

Finally I staggered into a room. And snarled. I saw Aura, they had her chained up by the forehooves, her hind hooves not even touching the floor. I walked over to her. “I'll have you free in a moment, sweetie.” I told her, the look of alarm on her face making me wonder what my face looked like. It hurt enough to tell me it had been rather well chewed. Fortunately, she'd been introduced to me at the party, so I wasn't completely unknown to her.
"Are you going to take me to Mummy?" she asked.

"I am. I'll have you down in a moment." I had to admire her. She was obviously in a great deal of pain, but she was trying to be brave.

It was then I saw the blood on her nose and lips. I turned to the dogs cowering nearby. “Who did this?” I growled. “Who?!”

One looked especially nervous and the others were almost pushing him forwards. I reached down, grabbed him by the throat and heaved, he came up to eye level at such a rate I'd swear he stretched. “Did you do that?” I asked, indicating Aura's split lip and nostril.

He started to shake his head but the others chimed in. “He did, he did.”

I growled, and slapped him on the side of the face with an open palm. His ear slapped his shoulder and bood spurted from his nose and dribbled from a split lip. I dropped him, then, to land with a crunch on the floor. With one hand I went to lift the wide eyed and terrified Aura. “It's alright, Aura. Mummy sent me to get you. I'll take you to Mummy now. Okay?” I tried to make my voice as gentle as possible but she was still nervous. She shrank away from me as I went to lift her and I must say that I couldn't really blame her. My whole front was pretty much covered in blood. I turned to the dogs. “Towel!” I growled. “Now!”

Someone produced one, I won't say it was clean, but it was cleaner than I was. I wiped myself down as well as possible and tossed the towel back at the dogs. “Another.”

It took a few moments, but another was produced. Again, it wasn't clean, but it was, actually, cleaner than the previous one. I arranged it over my hands and lifted Aura so I could unfasten the shackles. They soon dropped away and, holding her carefully, I made my retreat. I managed to arrange the towel between my chest and her body and hugged her to me. “It's alright, Aura. It's alright, sweetie. I'll soon have you back to Mummy." I tried to make my voice calm and soothing but I won't say I pulled it off well.

I stepped over bodies of dogs and, now she had a towel to lean against, Aura huddled against me. The leader, I was somewhat surprised to note, was reviving. “I told you,” I growled at him, “Not to bother the ponies. If you do it again, I'll get annoyed with you and you wouldn't like that.” His response was to groan and collapse again.

I staggered to a nearby stream and carefully put Aura down. She couldn't stand, she was shaking so badly and I could also see that her shoulders pained her greatly. I washed off as quickly as possible and sat down next to her to catch my breath and recover a little. I was shaking and in quite a good deal of pain now the adrenaline was leaving my system. After the tension and the fight and just the relief that I'd got Aura away from the dogs it felt nice just to be able to sit for a moment. I was a little surprised when she suddenly wriggled over so she cold rest her head on my lap. I stroked her neck and back and she rested her head on my leg and sighed.

There was only starlight now, but my new eyes were good for seeing in the dark. After a few moments I heaved myself to my feet, carried her down to the river and held her while she drank. “Mummy now?” she asked.

I grinned. “Okay.” I stood up. Most of the bleeding had stopped thanks to the coldness of the water and the bandages I'd packed, but I was still leaking a little. I kicked out the fire I'd lit and, with little Aura nestled in my arms, we headed back to Ponyville.

I could see the lights as I came over the last rise. It didn't look like anyone had gone to bed, although I suspected it was rather late. As I neared town, a mare raced out. “Aura!”

“Mummy!” The little one wriggled in my arms.

“Hang on, little one. I'll carry you home.”

I looked down to the mare who was practically bouncing beside me. “She's a little sore, ma'am. If you like to show me the way I can carry her home.” Which is what she did. I had to almost crawl into the house and laid Aura gently on her bed, giving her head a gentle stroke as I did so. “There, all home with Mummy again.” I said, with a gentle grin.

“Thank you.” she told me. “Thank you.”

I smiled and backed off, only to be nearly smothered by her mother. She rose up on her hind hooves, wrapped her forelegs around my neck and hugged me. “Thankyouthankyouthankyou.” she murmured. I could tell from her voice she was nearly crying. I patted her back gently, albeit awkwardly. “You're welcome, ma'am. Very welcome.” Yeah. I was rather embarrassed. Not used to females doing that to me.

She fussed over my wounds and such but it was clear where she really wanted to be. “Go to her.” I told her. “Take care, tonight, there might be nightmares.”

She nodded, thanked me again and headed into Aura's room. I made my way out of the house to be met by numerous other ponies. “Why?” asked Twilight. “You hardly know us. You haven't been here a day and you save someone you don't even know.”

I shrugged. “The Diamond Dogs attacked me earlier today. They wanted to take me to their boss. I warned them to stay away from me and you.”

“Me?”

“All of you. I told them to stay away from the ponies. I know why they kidnapped Aura. To get me to come. They wanted to kill me, I think.” I thought of another reason, too. If Luna 'knew' that the reason I was there was to 'decide the fate of Equestria' then perhaps the leader of the Dogs knew it, too and wanted to have his say about it.

“Yet you went.”

I shrugged. “I couldn't really do otherwise. Aura was in trouble because of me. I couldn't just do nothing.”

“Wow.” said Pinky.

A nurse came over and, despite only having hooves and her mouth, did a far better job than I could on my bandages. She also put something on my wounds that took away most of the pain.

“Now all I need is a good sleep.” I said with a tired smile. Despite the ointment I was hurting fairly badly.

There was some general chatter and they all thanked me profusely but I must admit the tiredness was hitting me like a wall. I staggered into the barn and lay down on my bed. It was then that Luna came in. “Thank you.” she told me. But the tone of her voice said much, much more.

I smiled. “You're most welcome, Princess.” I told her. And that, I'm afraid, is the last I remember until next morning. Or what passed for morning in Equestria at the moment.

Author's Note:

Apologies for the messed up formatting (Now fixed, hopefully). It seems that doing a copy/paste from my tablet isn't the best option.