• Published 13th Feb 2014
  • 2,613 Views, 38 Comments

A Secret Story? - crashlanding12



Fluttershy and Discord seem like good friends, right. The two may want deeper than that. Backstory time!

  • ...
3
 38
 2,613

Music of the Night

Chapter 4: Music of the Night

Fluttershy was in a field, her animals surrounding her. A gentle breeze was blowing; the sweet fragrance of rose petals filled the air.

Suddenly, Fluttershy felt her surrounding change. She was in that same field, but the grass was brown and dying. Her friends were there. They were fighting, battling to the death.

Twilight and Trixie were firing spells at each other, Twilight getting hit in the shoulder. She screamed and fell to the ground.

Rainbow was there too, fighting alongside Pinkie. They were both battling Gilda, who seemed much bigger than last time she had been seen. Gilda’s wing slapped Rainbow in the face, knocking her to the ground. Fluttershy tried to scream, but nothing came out. Pinkie was attacked from behind by a changeling.

Applejack and Rarity were pushed back to back by Flim and Flam and The Diamond Dogs.

Princess Cadence and Shining Armor were fighting Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra, magic spells being the only light seen beside a small lamp Fluttershy held in her hooves.

Princess Celestia was fighting with Nightmare Moon.

Far away on a hill, Discord was sitting on a large throne, laughing manically. Fluttershy was scared. She shivered as he appeared to get closer and closer until…

Fluttershy screamed loudly, awaking herself from her nightmare. She heard Discord run up the stairs, struggling to open the locked door.

“I-I’ll get it.” She opened the door. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I’ve never heard you scream like that.”

“I-I just had a nightmare, that’s all. I’ll just stay up the rest of the night. I won’t be able to go back to sleep, that’s for sure.”

Discord looked at her; a very confused expression lined his face. “What was the dream about?”

Fluttershy looked around before answering. “I…um…” she sighed. “It was just a scary dream, that’s all.”

Discord felt sorry for her. He had just learned that her parents were dead, and now she had a terrible nightmare that made her scream.

“Aha!” Discord said.

“Discord? What’s wrong?” Fluttershy looked up at him.

“Nothing. I just have a cure for your insomnia. How about I sing you a lullaby?”

“A-A lullaby?”

“Yes. What was that one that you liked called?”

Fluttershy thought for a moment then remembered.

“Um, Music of the Night?”

“Let me remember the words real quick.”

The lyrics bounced across the room into Discord’s head. Literally. Randomly, music started to play, but Fluttershy knew no to question it, for it happened frequently.

Discord began to sing the song. Fluttershy’s eyes widened. She had forgotten how good of a singer Discord actually was.

“Nighttime sharpens, heightens each sensation; darkness stirs and wakes imagination. Silently the senses abandon their defenses.”

Fluttershy yawned quietly. Discord was actually lulling her to sleep.

“Slowly, gently, night unfurls its splendor; grasp it, sense it, tremulous and tender. Turn your face away from the garish light of day, turn you thoughts away from cold, unfeeling light and listen to the music of the night.”

Fluttershy’s eyes almost closed all the way, until her nightmare’s ghastly images appeared back into her mind. She squeaked loudly, making Discord stop singing for a beat, smiling at her and continuing.

“Close your eyes and surrender to you darkest dreams! Purge you thoughts of the life you know before!” Discord practically yelled while singing, which scared Fluttershy. He muttered a quick “Oops” and continued once more.

“Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar… and you’ll live as you’ve never lived before.”

By this point Fluttershy was already asleep, her dreams not as frightening, more enchanting.

Discord kissed Fluttershy on the cheek, just as she had done to him when he was in pony form.

Maybe, he thought, this could work.

Author's Note:

Yay! I got this idea after practicing this song on the piano. I just wanted to write a short mini chapter, since I didn't have anything else to do. Please don't ask why I didn't use the whole song. The song is five minutes long and gives me the creeps.