• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 2,780 Views, 31 Comments

The Return of the Humans - DaringWizard



When a daring human wizard with uncanny magical power opens the gate between humans and ponies, everything starts going crazy in equestria.

  • ...
10
 31
 2,780

Chapter 3: Origins (updated; some changes)

"W...What?" Merlin said, he was struggling to find words; Princess Celestia knew him? A human?

"Yes, I do know you." She said, smiling down at him.

"What-but-How-?" merlin finally stammered.

"I've been watching you, Merlin. It seems you found that spell book of mine. The one from ancient Egypt, was it?" she said, her pride almost glowing. Merlin's eyebrows rose again.

"Your spell book?" He asked.

"I had to write it in hieroglyphics; I knew that only you could read it, that way. How are your parents, by chance?" Merlin started to get nervous.

"How do you know me? And how did you know about my-" Celestia did not break her smile as she held a hoof up to interrupt him.

"I've been waiting for your arrival for quite some time. Come with me." and she motioned him to follow her, he followed her out the door, reluctantly. Twilight and Merlin exchanged confused looks.

"How does she know me?" He whispered to Twilight.

"I don't know! She never told me about you!" Twilight whispered back.

"How is it that you know her in the first place, anyway? Don't you need to have special privileges for that?" Princess Celestia could hear them, but she didn't break her smile.

"I do have special privileges, she's my teacher!" Twilight whispered, Merlin looked surprised.

"It's a long story, I'll tell you later." She concluded, they started walking slightly faster, so as not to bump into the guards trudging behind them. They opened the door to the Library and walked down a street. They passed by a few shops. Some of the ponies noticed them, and when they saw Merlin, it was apparent what kind of "freak out" Twilight was referring to earlier.

"Wait- WHAT!?" One of them shouted, very excitedly.

"Oh my God!" Another shouted.

"A human!?" Another said, even more excitedly, all three of them ran towards him, followed by a bunch of other ponies. They all started to crowd around Merlin, all very amazed at the sight of him. the guards pushed some of the crowd back. Merlin exchanged glances with some of the equines staring at him. They all seemed amazed at the very fact he was there.

"Sorry, Merlin, no one's seen a human around here in hundreds- no... thousands of years... and after a certain best-selling novel was released humans are kind of a 'thing' here... Their just a bit excited, that's all." Twilight explained, but Merlin barely heard her because of the crowd rambling excitedly. They finally reached the carriage, they each climbed in, the crowd did not dissipate, some were smiling excitedly at him, others seemed somewhat startled, and seemed to be having trouble comprehending what they had just seen, others were plain amazed. Merlin watched them as they stared in awe.

"So, have you ridden on a magical vehicle before?" Celestia asked. Merlin turned to look from the window to the Princess.

"Uhm...." He wanted to ask her how she knew him again, but realized she probably wasn't going to answer him, like earlier.

"Hmmm?"

"Uh- yes... my grandfather had a flying carpet imported from Persia."

"I've heard of that place. I've always wanted to visit the human world and see their monuments... but, being co-ruler of Equestria, my vacation time is somewhat limited... especially when visiting another world." The Princess said, the carriage lurched as it lifted off the ground. Merlin gave the Princess a weird look.

"I know what you're thinking... do not worry, you'll soon understand." She said, as if she was reading his mind.

Merlin looked down at the countryside passing by them, it was lush and full of vegetation, Just like in the stories! He thought. They passed by a thick forest with a small house with a bunch of animals running around. Merlin saw a pegasus pushing some of the clouds.

"How do they do that?" Merlin said.

"Huh?" Twilight looked confused.

"How can that pegasus push clouds? How do they do that without floating right through them, I mean?"

"They have a passive magical ability to walk and push on clouds. They just can't actively use magic." The Princess explained, Merlin smiled. Oh yeah, this is just like in the storybooks. Merlin thought. He turned to face the Princess again.

"I'm sorry, but, where are we going?" He asked.

"To my private study. It's far from all the commotion- you'll find it rather comfortable." She said, still smiling, Merlin felt somewhat nervous again- the fact no one had opened the gates to this world in hundreds of years made him wonder- was there a good reason for it?

"Uh- I'm not in trouble or anything, am I?" Merlin finally asked, the princess looked confused and somewhat concerned.

"Oh, heavens no! I just have some things waiting for you there- a few gifts if I may."

They kept flying to a tall mountain, at the top was a small castle hidden behind a veil of clouds.

"Princess! The sanctum you were talking about- is this it?"

"Yes. I could have started construction years ago- I just needed to find the perfect place."

"Sanctum?" Merlin asked, intrigued.

"Yes. I wanted to create a separate place where my best of students could study and learn magic, I just haven't announced it's creation to Equestria."

"Wow." Merlin stared in awe at the majestic creation, the carriage landed on a heliport-like area near the sanctum.

"Come, this way. I'll show you around." The Princess said, and they entered the sanctum.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And this, Merlin, is your room. You must be tired." The princess said, the room was fitted with a king-sized bed with white covers, a glass coffee table, and an alchemical and magical library.

"Thank you, Princess. I'm honored." Merlin said, he bowed his head as she left the room.

The door shut behind him, he sat down on the bed, and began to write in his journal.

17th August, 2010

It worked! The spell to open the veil worked! I passed through the gates, and I'm now in Equestria! I feel like I've fled all my worries and cast them in the ditch! The entire landscape of the land is a majestic creation in itself, with pine trees high as the sky itself, the lush and brilliant land, everything's just like it is from the story books! To my surprise, Princess Celestia (Yes, she's real too!) somehow, not only knew I was coming, but knew who I was! She took me and a new friend of mine to a place she calls "the sanctum". It turns out she practices far more then just magic; inside the sanctum are multiple seperate rooms for different kinds of research. To begin, alchemy, botany, chemistry, astrology, astronomy... I feel like I'm in some gigantic college of mysticism. The crown of the sanctum must be the crystal cave- a most sacred ground carved right into the mountain itself. Princess Celestia will take me and Twilight down next w- The door creaked open.

"Excuse me, can I come in?" Merlin put down his pen and walked over to the door.

"Ah, Twilight! I didn't know you were still here..."

"I asked the princess if I could stay a little longer... can I talk to you for a second?" She asked, Merlin grew concerned; she seemed worried.

"Sure. Come on in. Make yourself at home." Merlin said, he sat down in a mahogany chair.

"Uhmm... so, do you like it here?" She asked, Merlin became even more concerned.

"Yes, why?"

"It's just that... you seemed kind of worried earlier." Merlin then understood what she was saying, he sighed.

"I guess it's the fact that I'm the only human here... paired up with the fact that Celestia didn't want to tell me how she knew me."

"I'll try to talk to her, you should get some rest, it's late." Twilight trotted over to Merlin.

"And, Merlin?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry to expose you to all those ponies back there." She said, smirking.

"Actually, I'm quite flattered. I felt like I was some kind of celebrity back there." Their faces both went blank, then they laughed for a while.

"Okay, well, whatever the case is, I'll see you back at my place tomorrow; Princess Celestia wants me to teach you a couple of things from the books at my library."

"Allright, I'll see you then."

"Bye." Twilight said, and she trotted off, her hoof steps echoing in the marble halls.

Author's Note:

Don't forget to comment, it helps a lot!