• Published 14th Feb 2014
  • 835 Views, 10 Comments

Dream Sparkle - Silent Strider



Luna is bedridden. Celestia can handle the Moon, but not dreams; it falls to Twilight Sparkle to handle the dreams.

  • ...
1
 10
 835

Bubble

Luna awoke inside a pinkish transparent bubble; beyond the barrier she could see the living room of a cottage, full of ponies and non-ponies alike. Twilight Sparkle and her five closest friends, Spike, Discord, Celestia, as well as a large number of assorted small critters. The yellow pegasus - Fluttershy? Luna’s mind was clouded with fatigue - pointed at her, causing everypony to speak enthusiastically and making Luna wince with a headache. The yellow pegasus seemed to notice that, leading everypony outside. Soon after the excitement died, Luna fell asleep again.

Luna awoke a couple more times, always finding either the yellow pegasus or a purple alicorn close, and quickly falling asleep again. Finally, after lapsing into her dreams many times, Luna woke with a clear enough head to make sense of what she was seeing. Immediately she noticed that it was dark outside, the moon rising in the sky.

“Did Celestia raise the moon?”

Twilight looked up from the book she was reading. “Luna, you’re awake! Yes, she raised the moon. She also wanted to talk with you as soon as you were awake; she says you have something serious to answer about. Are you well enough to handle it?” Twilight seemed to notice how Luna was shuddering. “I can try to convince Celestia to come back later, if you don’t feel ready.”

Luna shook her head. “Don’t. I had time to think, and it’s past the time I should beg my sister forgiveness for worrying her.”

Twilight tilted her head a bit. “Time to think? You were awake for barely minutes all this time.”

“Princess of Dreams, remember?” said Luna with a weak smile.

With a nod, Twilight left for what Luna figured was Fluttershy’s bedroom, closing the door behind her. While unable to make out the words, Luna heard her sister speaking with a calm but commanding voice, Twilight with the uncertain and panicked tone she often had when disagreeing with her mentor, and…

The last voice was certainly Fluttershy’s. It was often submissive, but the submissive tone was alternating with an iron-clad resolve. Was Fluttershy talking back to Celestia? Luna could think of less than a dozen ponies in all of equestria that could do that.

Luna soon got her answer. The bedroom door opened, Fluttershy coming out first, followed by Celestia - ducking her head to avoid hitting the doorway - and Twilight. Fluttershy’s face was set with resolve, but her timid steps and trembling wings clearly showed how scared she was.

Celestia had a frown on her face. “Fluttershy was ready to throw me out of her cottage; I had to tell what I know about your prank attempt for her to let me ask one question.” Luna shrank inside the isolation bubble. “Were you trying to make Discord sick?”

Luna bowed her head. “...Yes.”

“Very well. We will speak about your acts after you recover.” Celestia turned to leave, finding her path blocked by the yellow pegasus.

“Your highness, you can’t… leave… like this…” Fluttershy was shrinking under Celestia’s stare.

Twilight gulped and went to Fluttershy’s side. “I believe what Fluttershy is trying to say is that you can’t leave in anger. Leaving anger and guilty simmering will be worse for both of you. As your friend, I beg you to forgive your sister.”

“I don’t deserve forgiveness,” whispered Luna, “I acted in anger, tried to hurt Discord, and put half the guard and Celestia at risk. Tell me, Twilight, if I had sent one of your friends to the hospital over a prank, would you forgive me so readily?”

Fluttershy walked towards Luna’s bubble and lay down where Luna’s gaze was lingering, calmly looking at her eyes. “Are you sorry? Really sorry?”

“... Yes.”

“Then I would forgive you. And I’m sure Twilight would as well.” Twilight nodded.

Luna was lifting her head, tears of joy flowing, when Celestia spoke with a weary voice. “It’s not that simple. I’m not the wronged party.”

Luna nodded. “Then I propose a reparation. Let Discord choose a penance for me.”

Twilight’s eyes went wide. “You can’t be serious. Discord is crazy, you can’t let him choose! We will talk to him later and -”

“No, Twilight, my sister’s idea is a good one, though it could use some tweaks. Luna, how about these terms: your penance shall last a full week, it shall not harm you in any way besides your pride, it shall not mar the image of the princesses before the country, and it shall be vetted by myself - or by Twilight, should she accept to bear the burden?”

Luna nodded again. “I accept.”

Celestia turned back to look at her sister, letting Luna see her tears. “And Luna, I wasn’t angry at you. I was angry at myself for letting you harm yourself due to a stupid dispute.”

“Thank you. Will you take care of the moon and the dreams while I recover?”

Celestia shook her head. “I can handle the moon, but not the dreams; I don’t have an affinity for dream magic.”

Twilight stepped besides Celestia. “What about me? My special talent is magic, after all.”

Luna’s face became hopeful. “It might work. Tia, can you send me a copy of the Dream Walker spell from my personal grimoire when you get back to the castle?”

Author's Note:

Feel free to point flaws, errors, or to make suggestions; I'm here to learn.