• Published 1st Feb 2014
  • 1,464 Views, 6 Comments

Rocinante and the Wedding at Canterlot - Charliemane



With Canterlot under threat and a Royal Wedding scheduled to take place, Princess Luna returns from her journeys across Equestria to aid her sister with the defense of the city.

  • ...
0
 6
 1,464

Chapter 14

Sassaflash stirred slightly as a gentle breeze blew in from the window. Seeing her friend's sudden motion, Princess Luna gently took hold of a blanket and draped it over the young squire.

“In truth, Sir Rocinante, thou should rest now that our foes are vanquished.”

Rocinante yawned and shifted slightly from where he sat on the couch and Princess Luna couldn't help but stifle a small chuckle as he blinked his eyes repeatedly.

“Thy appearance betrays thee. Wherefore dost thou resist thy well deserved rest so?”

As silence filled the room in response, Luna leaned in closer, smiled, and draped a blanket over the sleeping knight-errant.



It was a pleasant feeling, to see so many ponies below enjoying all of the work she had put into the night's sky. Despite not knowing her beyond a few stories and a name, Princess Cadance had asked Luna if she would mind setting up a beautiful starlit night sky for her reception below.

Of course Luna happily obliged.

The cool night felt great against her coat as she glided silently through the air. Luna felt as free as a bird, slipping in between the towers like giant race pylons and diving down on the reception below, flaring out her wings at the last moment for a gentle landing next to her sister.

“Hello everypony. Did I miss anything?”

Everyony smiled, but as Pinkie Pie took charge of the music and the dancing began to pick up in tempo, Luna felt a nudge to her side as her sister motioned away from the crowds. Following after Celestia, the two ponies strolled alongside the wall as the music grew quieter and quieter, until at last they could barely hear it at all.

Luna felt it rather difficult to look at her silent sister during their soundless saunter in the shadows. Despite having most of the day left after the attack, Celestia had been busy with the ceremony and Luna had taken over the rest of the capital's security and recovery, leaving neither with the opportunity to talk about the issue that still burned in their minds.

“Sister... I...”

Celestia turned and faced her sister, not with a disappointed or angry scowl, but with the same gentle smile that she kept so consistently throughout her life. Despite having rehearsed her apology for her temper last night so many times, Luna was left speechless.

“The foe was a changeling, Little Sister.”

Luna swiftly nodded, but before she could begin, her sister continued.

“It looks like she was using her powers to disrupt everything from the inside... just like you and Sir Rocinante had warned us.”

It was a small thing to notice, but Luna considered it remarkably noteworthy.

“Thou hast referred to Sir Rocinante... as a knight.”

Celestia nodded.

“Luna, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have lost my temper so quickly, certainly not with you.”

The two sisters closed the gap between them and stood side-by-side, both staring up at the glowing, empty moon above them. A solemn reminder, not only of their past arguments, but also of the bank slate now before them.

“In truth, Sister, my own temperament was far from proper. Truly, we were both consumed by exhaustion and fear of the uncertainty of the time. Let us put such trivial things behind us.”

Celestia smiled, but shook her head.

“Not quite. Luna, I said some very inappropriate things I... Luna, Sir Rocinante is your knight. You knighted him, and that is a decision I should and do respect. He may not have the training of a guard, but you're right. He has proven himself many times and had I listened to you and taken matters more seriously I would have avoided all of the danger my pride had put everypony in. So, Luna, again, I'm sorry.”

Luna wore a comforting smile of her own as she reached up and draped a wing over her sister.

“And I am sorry that I had doubted thee and thy preparations so. In truth, I was too persistent and too forceful in my decisions regarding thy security. I should not have pressed thee so nor should I have made such a nuisance of myself.”

Celestia returned the embrace and held her sister tightly.

“Luna... You have never been, nor will you ever be a nuisance. You are my little sister, my best friend, and mentor.”