• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 722 Views, 16 Comments

To make a long story short: A My Little Pony Flash Fiction anthology - GrouchoMarxDisciple



These are all submissions to MeesterBob's FlashFiction contest. Come read and vote for the "Fan Favorite" award!

  • ...
2
 16
 722

Untitled

Author's Note:

By Emerald Flight

Yesterday, somepony told me that I wasn't trying anymore.

It's certainly no fault of mine, if it's true. I was told to come here and study the most nebulous of concepts, 'friendship', and make it out to be some sort of academic thing. I was supposed to send letters weekly to my superiors, detailing the 'study'. I've stopped.

The reason why I wanted to do this now seems so foreign to me. There had to be some motivation, but I can't think of one. Strange how who you were in the past dies as you move constantly to the present, second by second. Millions of you, all lost to the perception of the passage of events.

She told me that something had changed. In fact, she may have told me first. She probably told me first. I meant a lot to her.

You know, the entire time, she didn't say anything. Isn't that funny - she would probably sob endlessly over something much less, but as she watched her world fall apart she said nothing about it. A smile on her face, an empty chuckle, a shake of that mane, keeping it in its styled muss.

The doctors were worthless. Everypony was worthless. There wasn't anything we can do, they said. I didn't mean to hurt the one that badly, but things happen. They excused the case.

My superiors gave us money, but there never was anything money could do. They're magical, and they could have done something. I rationalize this as well as I can, but it always rests there. They could have and didn't. I hate them.

She moved away. Back home, she said, and moved before I could protest. I wouldn't have protested - maybe I would have. I don't know. I may have wanted to be with her as it ate her from the inside.

I had a lot of friends, once. I had a group, just for me. They were all a part of it, and we did wonderful things all together. But it'll never happen again. See, she was my friend, once.

But she's gone now, and I've stopped trying.