• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 433 Views, 2 Comments

Zerus: The Untold Story - ShaD-23



The heart-wrenching tale of Zerus' rise and disappearance at the Crystal Empire. OC Alert. Tie-in to Forever and For Always

  • ...
 2
 433

Siege

Zerus hid away, shivering under his heavy traveling cloak. He knew Luna would never have allowed him to come with them on this dangerous mission, but he just had to come... he just had to.

=====

Zerus walked up to the manor he called home for the last four years. Maybe this was what he needed. Maybe he just needed to rediscover himself before he could continue with his studies. Though still unsure about everything, he wanted to continue on with Luna's teachings. The last few years were the happiest of his life. As he came to the steps, however, the young colt saw a dark shape shoot through the sky and land beyond the stone walls that hid Starswirl's mansion away from the rest of Canterlot. What could that thing have possibly been? Hurrying but being quiet so as not to alert whatever entered the grounds, Zerus unlocked the grand gates with the key he was given when he first came to live at the manor and slowly opened the door, stifling a gasp. A tall, elderly baphotaur stood under the shady cherry tree that grew just feet away from his and Luna's garden. Baphotaur were a powerful magic race that had been at war with Canterlot long before even his parents were born. Why would one be here now? Watching with baited breath, Zerus saw it enter the manor.

Stepping through the gate, creeping slowly through the grass, Zerus powered his horn, hearing much more clearly as he spied on the six who stood in the foyer. Discord, he knew well. He was quite the trickster and would visit infrequently. The other was a tall dragon with his wings folded around him tightly, long antlers growing from his head. Starswirl, Celestia and Luna were the others who filled the hall. Listening intently, he heard they were going to the mysterious Crystal Empire to do battle with Sombra. He felt his body quiver. What was Sombra planning? This was not good, not at all. And what was this Cataclysm Starswirl and Lock-Nah spoke of. Zerus had half a mind to barge through the doors and demand they bring him with them, but he knew they would not. Even as skilled as he was and even though he was Luna's protegee, they would tell him to stay behind... perhaps it would be for the better.

“You know we may die, master.” Luna said darkly, Zerus' mane standing on end.

“I've known that from the start, Luna,” Starswirl said, Zerus growing cold from these words “that is why we Elements of Harmony are tasked with defending the land... so that nopony else need die.”

“We must stop Cataclysm at all costs, Starswirl.” the gruff baphotaur said. “It's our only hope to save the land.”

“Then we must leave immediately.” Discord said, Celestia and the dragon both nodding. Zerus rushed to the side as they six exited the manor, hiding in the brush and keeping his head down. As the Elements of Harmony strolled through the courtyard, Zerus watched as the baphotaur stopped at the cherry tree.

“I smell something.” he said, Zerus quivering as he shrank down lower in the bushes. “This tree... it smells as though one spends much time here.”

“That is the tree of my pupil, Lock-Nah.” Luna said, the baphotaur obviously not keen with speaking to any of the other Elements. “He would rest under it most every day... and now he is gone away from here-”

“Still collecting strays, Starswirl?” the brute said darkly. “Were the alicorns not enough-”

“Do not insult my friends, Lock-Nah.” Starswirl snapped, glaring at the baphotaur. “Your grudge is with me, not Luna, nor her pupil.” Lock-Nah gave a snort as he walked through the gates, both the alicorns and Starswirl shooting daggers at him.

“Why must we allow him to come, master?” Celestia groaned. Starswirl only sighed.

“He is the Element of Loyalty... we need him, Celestia.” With that, he led the other five out from the courtyard. This was his chance. Zerus hurried inside the manor and shot to his quarters. He had to be quick if he were to follow them. Packing a tent, stealing rations from the kitchen and sheathing two swords in his pack (both a fancy looking blade from the foyer and his own Luna gave him as a gift), he was ready to follow them. He had to protect Luna at all costs.

=====

Zerus tried his best to warm himself in his tent, but it proved to no avail. Even under his heavy cover, there seemed to be nothing he could do.

“I'm gonna die...” he sighed in a shaky voice. Just as his eyes began to droop, he shot up, feeling faint. Looking around the tent (roaring wind rattling it), he could see bulky shapes. Woozy, readying his blade, stepping out, he saw a shocking sight.

“Squatchen!?” he breathed as he saw the enormous bipedal, white, thick-furred creatures surrounding him. The squatchen were a race of hardy creatures who called the far north their home.

“Young colt,” the one before him began “it is dangerous for you to be out here.”

“Return to where you came from before the cold kills you.” one to his side said.

“I can't!” Zerus breathed, white smoke billowing from his mouth. “I'm following the Elements of Harmony. I'm Luna's pupil-”

“Ridiculous!” the one in front of him snapped. “One as reckless and foolhardy as you? You come out here without firewood? You come with only a tent and a cloak to keep you warm?” Zerus felt his heart sink at this. “An Element of Harmony would never take one such as yourself under their tutelage!" he barked savagely. "Go home before you die out here.”

Zerus shook his head. “Luna needs me!” he called. “I need to follow them. I need to help them.”

“Your lie is easily seen through, colt! Leave now before-” the one squatchen said before Zerus yanked the brooch from his cloak, showing them the crescent symbol on it as they gathered around to see it.

“Luna's symbol!” Zerus called, unable to hide a tiny smirk. “I am her pupil... please let me through.”

The squatchen eyed him for a moment. Narrowing his eyes through the blizzard, though, Zerus saw the one in the middle finally nodded.

“If you truly feel it has to be this way, boy... we will show you the way.”

=====

The six stood at the entrance to the Crystal Empire. They had all been there in the past. It was always full of life, gleaming like a shining gem while the crystal ponies tended to their town, tirelessly but happy. Now it was a barren wasteland, black chunks of crystal dotting the land here and there as the castle stood, completely covered in the shiny, jagged black stones that dotted the land.

“Where are the crystal ponies?” Luna asked quietly.

“Likely, they were wiped out.” Lock-Nah said coldly. Starswirl, however, shook his head.

“Unlikely.” Starswirl said. “Cataclysm thrives off negativity... he's likely keeping them alive... likely as slaves.” None of the others responded as Starswirl slowly started through the entrance. The moment he stepped off the snowy ground and into the parched kingdom, scores of black crystal golems shot up, all of them motionless and facing the four. They had short stubby legs, long claws that almost touched the ground and massive bulky bodies without heads or even eyes. Starswirl jumped back as the rest of the Elements readied themselves for battle. As they stared the army of golems down, however, none of them moved.

“What's going on?” Nidhogg asked as they looked at the unmoving figures.

“No doubt, they are waiting.” Lock-Nah said, the golems still standing motionless. “They are standing wait to defend Sombra.”

“And they will only attack should we cross into the Empire.” Discord said, a gigantic golden mallet appearing in his hands as the golems stood completely still.

“We have no time to waste.” Starswirl said, the golems still standing motionless. “We end my son's reign now!”

=====

Zerus tread through the snow behind the squatchen (having been treated for his hypothermia and given a much warmer cloak by a squatchen medicine man), a tall black spire materializing through the snowy, icy gale. No doubt, he was close to the empire.

“We will bring you to the Empire.” the chief squatchen proclaimed. “Then we will take our leave... we will not dare challenge the wicked King Sombra's forces.”

“Thank you for bringing me here.” Zerus said as he came to the Crystal Empire. It was parched and dry like a desert, no snow touching its boarder. Turning, he saw the squatchen retreat into the blizzard. He was all alone.

“This is it.” he said to himself, shedding his heavy robe as he started over the barren boarder as he started over into the kingdom. “No getting sacred.” Walking through the quiet streets, he could hear loud crashing in the distance. There was a battle going on.

“Luna!” he called, shooting off in the direction of the noise. He had to help them. Running as fast as he could, he crossed a bridge over a deep canal and rushed through a barren vegetable patch. No matter how fast or how far he ran, however, he saw no other ponies. Coming up around a bend, however, he saw a sight that made him go numb. A sea of moving black crystal filled the empire. What was this. Inching closer, Zerus saw they were golems, rushing to battle the Elements of Harmony in the distance. No sooner did he discover this did several turn to face him with the faceless bodies. His heart pounding, Zerus charged away from them, hoping he wouldn't have to face them. This was too much. He wasn't ready for this. As he raced through the town, a scant few golems rose for him and slowly stumbled for him. He could probably evade them, but they were growing more and more numerous.

“I can't be afraid.” Zerus hissed to himself. Turning, he fired a blast of magic for one, only for it to bounce off its shining body. This could not be. Trying his hardest, he sent a powerful blast for it, shattering its body, knowing wouldn't be able to keep using so much power. He'd tire himself out too quickly. Drawing one of his swords, he clenched it in his teeth and dove for a pack of them, shredding them to bits. It would seem these brutes were made to withstand magic, not battle, Zerus thought smugly. This notion was knocked from his head, however, as he went flying, one of the golems having attacked him from behind. These things were tough, he thought, his sword still clenched in his mouth. He had to find a way to lose them.

=====

Starswirl tore scores of golems to bits with his saber. These creatures were absolutely relentless. They showed no emotion, no fear or remorse. They mindlessly attacked the six. They were, however, completely on top of this. Discord snapped his fingers, several squirming golems floating into the sky.

“Starswirl!” he called as he shredded through a mass of attackers with his golden mallet. Starswirl turned quickly and fired a powerful burst of magic at each of them, shattering them into tiny pieces of black shiny stones. Nidhogg breathed a torrent of fire for them, but it did little other than slow them down. Seeing them still advance for him, he cut them down with ease with his immensely long, razor-sharp wings. Flapping them, he soared into the sky, gliding in a spiral as he descended to the ground, several golems turning upward toward him. As he came closer, he turned at and angle, ripping through the golems as he dug his wing into the ground, bits of black crystal and dust flying everywhere. Lock-Nah fought with no weapon, however. Tearing them to pieces with his bare hands, bucking them with his strong hind legs, he seemed to be in a league of his own. As one threw it's claws around his neck, others began to swamp him as he collapsed into the crowd. Seeing this, Celestia jumped for them, obliterating them with her skewering horn. As soon as he had a free hand, Lock-Nah torn the rest of the golems from his body, sending a massive halo of shining energy for a pack of golems, tearing them down. Smiling at her ally's display, Celestia didn't see one golem raise a mammoth, needle-sharp claw behind her. Before it could strike, however, it, too, was blown apart as Luna fired at it with her horn.

“Mind your back, sister!” she called, a claymore clenched in her teeth. Jumping in a spinning motion, Luna annihilated every golem around her. There was no stopping her. Kicking her hind legs, she sent a golem to Nidhogg who shredded it as she sent another blast of magic at a golem coming up on Discord. Starswirl watched as she dove for another pack of golems, cutting them to bits. Why was she so worked up? Before he could ponder this anymore, he torn down another golem coming for him. Suddenly, Discord shot for him, taking a slice from a golem's crescent-shaped claw, wincing as he brought his hammer down onto it.

“Thank me later, Starswirl.” he called as he shot for another bunch of attackers.

“This is taking too long!” Lock-Nah called angrily as he cast a powerful spell, blasting a crowd of golems into oblivion. “We need to press on!”

“Starswirl!” Nidhogg called, ripping through a bunch with his wings. “Let's go!” the dragon called. Nodding, Starswirl jumped high, the dragon seizing him and flying off for the giant black castle at the center of the kingdom, the others spreading their wings and flying off with them. No sooner did they do this did a powerful torrent of black magic shoot for Starswirl and Nidhogg, knocking them painfully to the ground, golems rushing them as they made contact.

“Sombra is watching us!” Lock-Nah called, shooting back for his fallen comrades.

“And we don't stand a chance alone!” Luna called as she shot down for them as well. Celestia and Discord both swooped for their allies and resumed their fight. This was not good. The army of golems seemed limitless.

=====

Zerus breathed a sigh of relief as he seemed to have finally lost the golems. Hiding under an opening in the gigantic black castle, he looked around the dark crevice. Powering his horn, he illuminated the cavern, a shape discernible in the distance. Cautious, he stepped for it to see what it was. It was clearly another pony, draped in a traveling cloak, but he wasn't sure if they were still alive. Things were set straight when the pony lunged for him, a blade clasped in their mouth. Countering, Zerus held them at bay with ease.

“I'm not your enemy!” he said through gritted teeth. “Please, stop!” Almost immediately, the elderly mare stumbled backwards, dropping her blade and sinking to her knees.

“Who are you?” she asked weakly. Zerus sheathed his sword and bowed to her.

“My name is Zerus.” he breathed. “I am apprentice to Luna of Canterlot-”

“Apprentice to the Element of Kindness?” she stammered. “Why is she not here?”

“She is here, milady.” he stated. “I've come here to assist her... are you the last of the Crystal Royals?” he asked, only for her to shake her head.

“I'm the caretaker... and I managed to rescue to last of the royals.” she wheezed, motioning to a sleeping little foal wrapped in a blanket. “Please... save the last of the royals...” she breathed. Clearly she was the one who sent the message, Zerus thought.

“The last royal... is our only hope.” the old mare said weakly, falling to the ground. “Please... protect... the last royal...” was all she said before making no other movement. Feeling a cold chill, Zerus gave a deep bow to the fallen crystal pony.

“I will not let you down.” he said, scooping up the slumbering child, carefully tucking them into his travel sack. Zerus couldn't tell if it were a filly or a colt. Inhaling deeply, his heart pounding as he walked, he left the cavern for the dead lands outside. No sooner did he exit, however, did the golems attack once again in full force. Charging, the baby wailing as it was awoken, Zerus dove to and fro, careful not to jostle the child riding with him. It was not easy. There was no way he could hope to fight the golems with the tiny foal with him. As more of the lumbering creatures surrounded the are, he felt his heart beat faster. This wasn't good! He had to get out fast!

=====

The six Elements of Harmony had finally finished off the army of black golems. At last, it seemed, they would be able to confront Sombra together. Stepping to the inner empire, however, more golems shot up, standing watch, absolutely motionless just as before. This, however, isn't what caught the six's eye. Up at the top of the castle's black spire, a gigantic black orb materialized in the sky, burning with purple flames that danced all around it like an evil sun.

“What is that?” Luna gasped as all but Starswirl and Lock-Nah stared in disbelief as the golems stood motionless.

“That is Cataclysm.” Lock-Nah growled, clenching his fists as the golems stood motionless.

“No way we can even hope to tear through this bunch in time to stop it.” Discord sighed as the golems stood motionless.

“We cannot waste anymore time!” Starswirl called. “It's growing too powerful-”

“Element of Magic, come meet with me.”

The six felt their skin grow icy as Sombra's voice echoed out loudly over the empire.

“The Element of Magic?” Nidhogg pondered aloud.

“He means you, Starswirl.” Discord said. No doubt, they all thought, Sombra wanted to parade his 'victory' over his father.

“Very well.” Starswirl said, everyone looking on fearfully (except for the enraged Lock-Nah). “I will meet with my son.” Stepping into the inner sanctum, however, Starswirl was met with the raised claws of all the golems.

“Send the Element of Magic... not the Element of Honesty.”

Starswirl's eyes widened at this. “The Element of Honesty?”

“Am I not the Element of Honesty?” Celestia whispered. Just then, it became clear. Lock-Nah was the Element of Loyalty, Nidhogg was the Element of Generosity, Luna was the Element of Kindness, Discord was the Element of Laughter. All these, Starswirl had deduced perfectly, but he confused his and Celestia's Elements.

“How can I be the Element of Magic?” Celestia gasped, noticing exactly what her master had come to realize. "And how could Sombra be able to know something like this-"

“Celestia!” Starswirl said, bowing to her. “You are the Element of Magic... the most powerful Element of all. There is no doubt in my mind... walk through the inner sanctum.” Shaking, Celestia slowly stepped to the edge of the inner empire. Was she really the Element of Magic? Sweating, she walked through the crowd of golems, none of them eve budging. Immediately, the other four bowed. She was clearly the Element of Magic!

“This isn't right!” Celestia breathed. “How can I be the Element of Magic!? I'm nothing like any of you! I can't-”

“Master Celestia. You may not be now, and it may not make sense as of yet,” Starswirl said proudly “but you will someday come to be stronger than all of us.” Celestia felt her heart flutter at this. “Right now, a great evil threatens the whole world... and you've been chosen not by us, not by your title, but by an evil force that only you can stop... we have great faith in you.”

Celestia, still unsure of herself, knew she didn't have time to think this over. Sombra and Cataclysm were growing more powerful and the others couldn't hope to defeat the sea of golems in time to help her. She had to act fast.

“Sister, take this!” Luna said as she tossed Celestia her claymore. “You can win... I know you can.” The others cheered at this, Celestia feeling her eyes well. Spreading her wings, Celestia knew this was it. Flying higher and higher to the summit, she knew this was where she would prover herself, not just to Sombra and Starswirl, but to the entire world.

=====

Zerus ran at full speed for the boarder of the empire, the baby crying loudly. He had to escape with the foal. He couldn't dare leave it behind for the golems as they closed in on him. As one stood before him, bringing him to a screeching halt, Zerus watched as it raised its claws for him. Just as he powered his horn, however, the golem was shattered from behind.

“Give me the baby, now!” called the squatchen chief, reaching out. No breathing a word, Zerus quickly levitated the sobbing foal from his sack, the squatchen cradling it.

“Go now!” Zerus called, not even wondering what made the squatchen think to return for him. “I'll hold them off!”

“You cannot hope to take them!” the chief called as Zerus drew his blade once again, more and more golems coming up on them.

“I said go!” Zerus called, lunging for them as the chief called for them. There was no point in stopping Zerus. With a heavy heart, the squatchen hurried from the empire, leaving Zerus all alone as he jumped to and fro, kicking and slicing at the ever mounting golem forces.