• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 1,067 Views, 9 Comments

Welcome to our Universes - The Maelstrom



Two Dimensions. Two Universes. Two Evils?

  • ...
 9
 1,067

Ch 1 - Parties, Portals, Paranoia?

Assembly Workshop, Nexus Tower
11:48 PM
March 17, 2012

Dr. Albert Overbuild sat down in his chair in front of his computer, eyes shot a bit and his head throbbing, "Eh heh, Hael sure knows how to throw parties..." He said weakly as one of his arms grabbed a rag and wiped down his forehead. Albert thanked the arm before sitting up and looked back at his work he left for the St. Patrick's Day Party earlier.

"Now, what was it that I was working on, again?" He mulled to himself as he stared at his notes, one page had a scribble of a whirlpool with a pair of gleaming white pointed eyes, while another had a couple penrose triangles, and a third had a crude drawing of himself with a large broadsword pointed at the heavens with a golden crown atop his head. Only about two pages had any actual notes, but they were only about Bradford's theory of cosmic kinesis, a theory he knew to be true.

He picked up a piece of paper, this was was full to burst with little notes, all about the same thing, "Ah here it is, 'Bradford Rants theory of InterDimensional/Universal Portals'. Now, the theory is that when two Universes interact with one another, a portal is created forever twining the two, or at least until the portal closes. Yes, yes that's from the book, but what about how to contact another Universe....Hmm..." He said to himself before going to write and scribble some more notes and diagrams on the paper. He was about to go to a new piece of paper when the alluring smell of coffee beans and spearmint assaulted him. He looked up and saw the darkened room before him, before turning to his assistant who held a mug of Coffee for the fatigued Doc. "Thanks, Naomi." He said tired before looking at his watch, 11:49. He sighed heavily before closing his eyes and taking a sip of the caffeinated drink.

Albert opened one eye mid-sip and saw Naomi looking over his notes, scanning them with intent. "If I may,sir; but I may have a suggestion for your predicament." She said sweetly and kindly with energy to the exhausted Overbuild, the Doctor put down the mug and asked what her idea is; Naomi replied swiftly with a broad smile: "Magic"

Paradox Research Wing, Nexus Tower
7:32 AM
March 18, 2012

Vanda Darkflame couldn't remember such bliss. Surely there had to be some point in her life when she felt this relaxed, but no. It was only on that morning, her in her crimson silk pajamas weaved by the Ninja's, fluffy slippers on her feet, and in her hands a large warm cup of Aura Blossom Tea she got from the Sensei.

Alas, such a peaceful moment was stabbed, then thrown out of the nearest window into a dumpster when Dr. Overbuild came running into the room. "Vanda, what do you know about magic?" Albert asked between breaths as his head twitched.

"A small bit,why?" Vanda replied calmly before taking another sip of her tea, her tranquility ruined for the most part. Vanda looked at Albert, and seeing him, almost dropped her cup in shock. "What....happened..?" She asked, trying not to sound alarmed.

Albert, for the most part was exhausted, he had bags under his eye bags, his eyes were fully bloodshot from lack of sleep and he looked like he could pass out at any given moment, that is, if he wasn't hyped up on Coffee to keep him truckin'.

"Nothing, just another all-nighter," He chuckled as he passed it off, "No, seriously. I may have figured something really big out, but I need some real magic. And, well, you're the first person to come to mind when 'Magic' comes up. No offense!" He said while trying not to anger her, while Vanda can keep a level head most of the time, when she snaps it's worse then a full blown hurricane, tornado, earthquake and rabid locus infestation all at once.

"Show me the equation, Albert." Vanda said bluntly as she continued to sip her tea.

Quickly came Naomi pushing a blackboard into the room Albert and Vanda were in, on it was a complex equation that had scribbles of portals and arrows with paragraphs on theories of travel and wormholes. " Just look it over and tell me if it needs a bit of Paradox Magic, please. I haven't slept all night over this..." Dr. Overbuild pleaded

Vanda went over to Naomi and the blackboard and studied the small handwriting the Dr. had, seeing the little notes and questions he asked himself in his writing. "Good morning Ms. Darkflame, how was your rest?" Naomi asked her with a broad smile.

"Just fine, Nao," She replied before sipping her tea again and turning to Albert, "Yes it requires a small bit of magic, I'll get a sorcerer or two to supply it." She said to Albert with her eyes shut.

Dr. Overbuild almost fainted, "Great! Thank you, Vanda. Gather up the other leaders and I'll explain everything!" He said tired before passing out on the floor with Naomi gasping.

Nexus Meeting Room, Nexus Tower
10:00 AM
March 18, 2012

"So Doc, this is what you've been working on the past few days? It looks.....small compared to your other all night creations..." Duke Exeter said as he looked over the notes the Dr. laid out describing his plan.

Dr. Overbuild looked at Duke with a slightly crazed expression, before quickly taking a sip of Coffee, "My dear Duke. What you fail to comprehend is how big this idea is in the longrun, what would you say if I told you there are other dimensions to explore."

A third voice spoke up with a gruff voice, "Doc! Don tell me you've figured out Time Travel?!" Hael Storm said surprised as he asked. Dr. Overbuild looked at him with annoyance.

"Even better Hael, I may have figured out Bradford's theory for Dimensional Travel!" He said elated as he took out some pieces of paper and laid them out on the table. "Basically, this is all that happens..."

Albert started his explanation of the theory and how this would affect the Nexus Force. The Nexus Force is a group of creatures Dr. Overbuild, Duke, Hael, and Vanda started to fight against a dangerous threat that corrupts their Universe. Although, even as Dr. Overbuild's explanation seem great in his aspect, for others, well....

Hael Storm, leader of the Venture League faction of the Nexus Force, renowned and famous Space Pirate; seemed excited for the plan, and was all in for the idea. A new dimension meant a whole slew of adventures for him and his recruits to explore, oh how he loved exploring, why just Alberts' explanation reminded him of an adventure he had back in- no, now wasn't the time for reminiscing fond memories...

Duke Exeter, leader of the Sentinels of the Nexus Force, brave and chivalrous; was the skeptical and tactical one to this, he didn't enjoy the idea of an entire other dimension, what if that dimension had a threat they were dealing with and it joined forces with the threat here? He adjusted his armor in thought as he would try to persuade Albert to abandoned the idea.

Vanda Darkflame, leader of the Paradox faction, mysterious and level headed; wondered how this would turn out, Albert's crazy inventions for the most part worked (albeit after a little whacking it a few times) but an Interdimensional Portal? She wondered if Albert staying up all night with nothing but coffee may have singed a few brain cells.

"And that brings us to 'Grauman's Theory' " Dr. Overbuild continued, "Grauman?" Duke asked as he looked over Overbuild's notes

"Oh he's not important," Overbuild waved it off before taking another sip, "What is, is how it works. Basically, an entity from one dimension will need to change it's physical form to fit another dimension, we will need to prepare for any imformal-"

"Doc, yer forgettin' that most of us here don't speak yer fancy-dancy techno jumble, explain it ta me if I was three, Doc" Hael interrupted as he put down one of the diagrams for the theory.

Overbuild chuckled, "Sorry Hael, let me explain from the start," he said before clearing his throat, " Take our Universe as Dimension A, all right? And take our random destination as Dimension B. Now, let's think that Dimension B is populated by, I don't know, candy colored ponies," Hael had to stop himself from falling on the floor laughing when Overbuild said this, only to stop abruptly when Vanda punched him in the arm ,"Thank you Vanda; As I was saying, when we make the jump to Dimension B, we must undergo a 'change', our Minifigure bodies here won't fit in in Dimension B so we would most likely turn into Candy Colored Ponies ourselves when we're on Dimension B. Sure we may keep little attributes that make us unique, like my back pack for example. And I would believe that it would apply vice-versa: A pony from Dimension B would turn into a Minifigure that compliments their pony form here in our Dimension. Understand now, Hael?"

Hael pondered this for a sec before nodding his head in agreement

"Great! Now we can start the fun part" He said as he rubbed his hands together like a mad scientist as Naomi pushed in a large machine that resembled an early computer, only smaller and it looked like it had a multitude of electrical equipment put on. Albert went over to the machine and turned to the others, "Ok, Vanda can you call in the Sorcerers for that extra kick?" He asked as Vanda called to out of the room and a pair of Sorcerers holding their staffs in front of them marched in the room. "Ok, when I turn on the machine, it's going to act a bit like a sink hole, as in, it's going to try and suck you in before it becomes stabilized" Albert said as he pushed different buttons and pulled levers as the machine started to hum slowly to life

"Um, Doc? What would happen if we were sucked in before then?" Duke cautiously asked as his bravery gave way to weariness.

"Oh, nothing serious. You'll just be pulled into the space between Universes and Dimensions in an endless black void." Dr. Overbuild replied nonchalantly. "Just hold onto something and you'll be fine."

After hearing this, Duke quickly went to cling onto an imagination pipe that happened to run up on of the walls of the room, Vanda giggled a bit at Dukes rare fear.

Before long, it was ready,and Dr. Overbuild pulled onto the last switch that turned the machine on. As everyone grabbed onto something the machine rattled and whirled as electrical sparks flew from receivers and started to form a small oval like shape next to it. The process had started

Ponyville Library, Ponyville
10:15 AM
March 18, 2012

Late mornings on a slightly warm Sunday was the perfect time to study, for Twilight Sparkle, one of the most powerful Unicorns Equestria has ever had, partial owner to the 'Elemental Reads' Library( as she lovingly called it) and Element of Magic (plus she's lavender to boot!), at least.

Today, was one of those days. The sun shining through the open windows as a slight breeze blew the leaves of the tree the Library was housed in, the sound of birds chirping the day away, the very slight drizzle of rain that defied physics by materializing inside the tree house, yep. Today was a pretty good day

"Wait, rain?" Twilight pulled her head out of her book when she noticed a few raindrops assaulting her mane. She looked up toward the ceiling to see the swirling force of dark clouds that was slowly starting to appear in her ceiling.

"Rainbow! I know this is you're fault! Get down here before you flood the place!" Twilight huffed as she tried to put a magical shield over the bookcases from the drizzle of rain.

The clouds didn't listen, they just continued to swirl and start to create almost a maelstrom of clouds. Twilight, still thinking this was a certain cyan pegasus' fault, used a small bit a magic to try and dispel the clouds, but was almost singed when a lightning bolt shot from the clouds and almost hit her.
"O-okay, Rainbow. Tha-that's enough now....you got me! Ha ha...." Twilight started to begin panicking, here she was staring down something she's never seen before and now knowing this wasn't a prank, started to do what she does best. She ran over to a bookshelf and began researching on something similar to this anomaly.

She didn't notice the fury of the clouds that was forming as more and more lightning bolts charged the portal.

Nexus Meeting Room, Nexus Tower
10:18 AM
March 18, 2012

As Electrical sparks continued to jolt from the madly vibrating machine and small lightning bolts continued to form together a small wormhole, all it needed was one last thing.

"Doctor! Are ye sure this will work!?" Hael tried to yell over the deafening sound of thunder

Overbuild cackled loudly, "I have no idea!! Now Vanda!" He shouted back before Vanda struggled to give a signal to the pair of Sorcerers also trying to hold onto their lives, as they got hold of something sturdy the two of them pointed their staffs at the forming wormhole and shot a blast of magic at it.

And with a blast of light, the portal stabled and calmed

Ponyville Library, Ponyville
10:30 AM
March 18, 2012

It defied the laws of physics, science, nature, everything. How a mysterious portal-like object formed in the center of a dark bubbly-cumulonimbus was beyond Twilight. It just...floated there,menacingly, about seven feet off of the ground floor of the Library; She tried everything she could think of to debunk this as a normal storm cloud; but it just seemed, alien, to Twilight, like a strange combination of magic and science. 'Not quite like the workings of Steampunk' Twilight thought to herself

She carefully poked the cloud and it functioned just like she thought: her hoof moved through the cloud. She looked closer at the portal-like structure, she almost had something before a flash of white came from the portal and almost blinded her.

As the-now-half-blinded Twilight reeled back, she failed to notice something,no- some-Pony materialize from the portal and lay on the ground under to cloud.

"How do I always pick the shortest straw?" The mysterious male brown pegasus asked himself in a gruff voice as he looked at his surroundings, "That's odd....everything looks as if it be painted with Pastels or somethin' " he asked

Although Twilight couldn't really see the visitor, what with her trying to regain vision in one eye and her other shut tight, she thought, for a split-second, that perhaps this visitor to the library was a pirate, but then she assured herself that Pirates were long ago abandoned when the need for water-based craft diminished.

When she finally regained her sight she looked over her visitor from the back: both his mane and tail were a dark wooden brown, his hair done up like dreads that hung off his shoulders, which held a pair of dull yellow epaulets with equally yellow tassels, he had a belt around his waist that looked to have a skull belt-buckle and from her vantage point, he had the slight lookings of a five o'clock shadow; But what struck her as odd was this stallions cutie mark: it was a white cardinal compass over a black, then green, circle and had an almost cartoonish skull in the center of it. She has never seen anypony with a cutie mark like that, and if he's new, the Pinkie Party wasn't far behind.

Before she knew it, she was trotting over to the stallion to warn him about the pink devil.


Hael Storm knew he was in a new world, one much different the normal ones he explored, it was bright, colorful, and it had the soothing feelings of peace, a feeling he only really felt in Nimbus Station. He looked around he new surroundings to try a familiarize himself to see any similarities with this world to his own.

"Books, books, books,books, hmm, must be a library. Wait, is that a tree branch I spy? A Library in a Tree....Creative..." He thought to himself as he prepared for the world

Nothing could prepare him when he turned around, and saw a lavender pony, "No, it's got a horn, only one creature fits this description: Unicorn" stare back at him with friendly eyes. "Hi! I'm Twilight Sparkle, do you need any help?" the Unicorn asked him

"A Talking colorful pony...That blasted fool Overbuild sent us to a world with colorful talking ponies." was the last thing Hael thought before he fainted from Twilight's sudden appearance