• Published 27th Jan 2014
  • 3,041 Views, 437 Comments

A Circle Has No End: Volume I - Gladi Writes



Two stolen hearts set off a chain reaction that engulfs Equestria and it's new allies- the Changelings.

  • ...
8
 437
 3,041

PreviousChapters Next
Short: The Manehatten Project II

Author's Note:

I would like to remind the readership that the events in this take place a few weeks before Night Files.

While the scientists celebrated with their Night Guard hosts, ecstatic at what they had accomplished, Twilight sat alone in her assigned quarters. She had made something up about feeling ill, which they were ready to believe after seeing what happened when she first beheld the alicornium. So they thanked her, and she lay on the bed with a rather bountiful silver plate of pie, cake, and wine. None of it was native to the region, it must have been brought in from Canterlot specifically for her.

The room was incredibly well furnished and cozy compared to the rest of the facility. It's roof was higher, it was wider, and it had a dark blue carpet. The metal walls were painted dark purple, with spots of white. This paint scheme matched the large bed in the centre. Along the walls was a dresser, and beside it a large mirror. Twilight guessed from all this that it had been built by the Night Guard for their Queen, and for now it was Twilight's.

Twilight Sparkle, a higher up. Part her liked the power, part of her was terrified. At the moment it was the latter that shone through. She picked at her meal, going through her mind of just where she was- and how to escape.

They had used her, lied about their enthusiasm about her RADAR project in the hopes she would solve their alicornium project for them. She had done so, blind to their real intentions. Like a naive fool she really expected them to respect her, but they didn't really see her as a 'princess' or even an equal- she was a tool. Like a microscope or a beaker, just another tool to solve their scientific problems.

However: they were at war after all. Could she really blame them for doing whatever it took to win the war, including entrapping her like this? Would she, if given the position and choices they had, have made the same judgement?

One of the things that bugged her was the fact Celestia had apparently kept everypony else unaware of 'dark' magic. Twilight should have been smart enough to realize why- it was to prevent exactly what had happened today. They had created a weapon of such untold power that the very world would shudder if it was ever used.

The very core question to this all was: what if it was worth it?

Celestia was old, really old. What if she was wrong about the griffons, and Luna, with her Night Guard, was right? She had been wrong before about them, hoping that they could somehow return to peace despite a city being ruined. Luna had taken over after this disaster, and led them now. If Celestia had been wrong then, she could be wrong about everything.

So there she sat, split between two futures and one choice. Either support Luna's Night Guard to whatever end, and see this project through- or fight them. They were equally terrifying.

Why the buck does the world always end up on my shoulders?

_____________

Flankenstein, with a great grin on his face, sat across from Archer in his office. He had just finished delivering the news, after first giving his staff the day off and a line of government credit to go have some 'fun'. They had certainly earned it. Twilight had taken ill, which worried him slightly- but alicorns were stronger than they seemed, even young ones. So he had led her to her room, and would check up on her sometime later.

The pop of a cork shooting off a bottle snapped Flankenstein back to attention.

"You did it doc, I gotta say I'm impressed," He said, pouring the fizzing drink into two glasses on his desk.

"It was Princess Twilight honestly, I'm glad she decided to come pay a visit," Flankenstien said, receiving one.

"It took some doing doctor, I had to convince her we were working on this idea of hers called ehdar or something," Archer said, and chuckled.

"Using radio waves to detect distant objects, what a pipe dream. Where would you even get the power for that?" he wondered.

"I can think of one place, but I digress, we should be celebrating our victory," Flankenstein said.

Archer nodded. "Yes, our victory. The griffons will fall, and the Queen will rise, " He said, raising his glass.

"To those we lost in Baltimare," He said.

"Remember Baltimare," Flankestein added. They had both seen the horrors there, and it made their purpose clear.

Remember Baltimare. It had become somewhat of their motto. The scientists here understood full well how terrible this weapon was, but they needed to fight fire with fire. Whenever one of them looked like they were having second thoughts, Flankestein was there with two words.

Remember Baltimare.

They clinked their glasses, and downed the white wine.

"May the Queens reign last forever, and may her night be eternal." Archer said, putting his glass back on the desk.

Flankenstein had gotten used to the sort of grandiose wordplay of the Night Guard, but not in private like this. Normally Archer kept his pseudo-religious admiration of Luna in his pocket.

"How long until you can get me more of that weaponized alicornium? Just another sliver or so, for a special project." Archer asked.

Flankenstein was about to reply 'immediately', but held his tongue- what special project? Why just a sliver- they were supposed to use the entire load on the griffons.

"About a week, the Princess exerted significant magic energy and will need time to rest," He replied.

Archer rolled his eyes. "The little pony princess needs her beauty sleep? So be it, but we'll have some work for her in the meantime, " he said.

Flankensteins face turned to confusion, which seemed to amuse Archer. "Uhh, Archer... you're talking about an alicorn princess here, what's to stop her from just leaving? You shouldn't demand anything of her," He said.

Archer grinned a wide grin, almost ear to ear. "Oh we thought of that. Not only is this facility teleport sealed, but there's a little surprise in her food," He said ominously.

"... and that would-be?" Fankenstein asked, almost afraid of the answer.

"Poison, naturally. When she wakes up tomorrow, rather weak I'm afraid, we'll give her an antidote. She'll remain physically weak, but it won't affect her mind or magic. She's ours Flankenstein, we bagged us an alicorn," Archer explained, and leaned back in his chair, proud of his accomplishment.

"That's dark Archer, even for the Night Guard. What are you going to do when we're done, just hope Luna understands why you poisoned a princess?"

Archer laughed. "Don't you get it? She's not going to leave. As soon as we have enough weaponized alicornium..."

He gestured across his throat, and let out a hack.

Flankenstein was horrified. He had accepted the need to destroy the griffons, but since when did they start killing innocent ponies?

"I protest, I strongly protest. Have you forgotten who the enemy is?!" Flankenstein demanded.

Archer raised himself over the doctor, and his eyes started to glow.

"Have you? Who was it that got us into this war, who was it that refused to act while Baltimare was raised and Manehatten attacked? We lost dozens of our own in frivolous limp-wristed defensive fighting before Luna finally set us on the right path. Celesita and Twilight, her would be protege, are the enemy," He growled.

"Remember Baltimare," he added.

Flankenstein gave up, better to retreat now and fight again.

"You're right, in the end. If Luna had been in charge to begin with this would all be over already," He said.

"Good, I'm glad you see as we do," Archer said, lowering back into his chair. With a blink, the glow of his eyes vanished.

"Now go enjoy yourself doctor, you've earned it," He suggested.

Flankenstein nodded, and quickly left the office. Out in the hall he shut the door and drew up against the wall, his mind reeling with horrible realizations.

He gasped as it all came together.

A sliver of alicornium... Canterlot...

Celestia.

__________

Twilight ate what she could, and found herself oddly sleepy despite it only being mid-afternoon. She had taken to writing a letter to Celestia, unsurprised to find her bag had been rummaged through. Thankfully it was all there, plus somepony had added a few apples for whatever reason.

It had begun to slowly dawn on her that if the Night Guard was evil, then it represented evil at the top. Princess Luna had long ago sought to take over the world, what if she had never given up? She was Queen now, and in all rights she did rule the world- the world of ponies anyway. In any case the chances of her somehow not knowing of the workings of her own Night Guard were slim, so that added to the conundrum. Either they were evil, and had to be fought, or Twilight's morality was wrong.

No, no. Think about it Twilight. We don't need to destroy them all just because some politician craved power. This is wrong...

... which meant Luna was wrong.

Celestia would know, she must have some wisdom to share, and at the very least she should be warned of the potentiality that Nightmare Moon was back.

Twilight yawned, and plucked a rolled up parchment from the bag, along with a quill and some ink. For whatever reason she was rather weak. Perhaps it was from how much magic she had done today.

Shrugging, she set the ink down on the nightstand and dabbed the quill inside.

"Dear Cel..."

Her arm shook, and she felt a sudden pang of weakness overtake the other. It hung off her like a limp noodle, and panic began to overtake the purple pony.

"No, no! They can't have!" She exclaimed weakly, and lit her alicorn. She had been taught a spell to detect poison long ago, but why would she suspect that here?

A bolt of magic shot at the remaining food, and a bright green fire shot out from it. It was poisoned.

"No! No they.. they.." Twilight felt it hard to keep her eyes open, and with what strength she had charged at the door.

Half way there her legs gave out, and sent her sliding into it with a gentle clunk.

With her remaining strength she scribbled something hastily on the letter, and tried desperately to send it off. A green field took it, and it vanished.

Just as she was about to sigh with relief, certain that help would be on the way, it flew back out of the nether at her.

Her strength having been exhausted with the attempt, a painful sleep overtook her, with one thought on her mind as the letter gently drifted down.

Princess Luna betrayed us all

The letter covered her like a thin blanket, it's hasty wording visible in the rooms dim light.

"Help"

____________

Today, Queen Luna was rather bored. All fronts of the war were stable at the moment, and there was nothing to do but await more news or more decisions that required her leadership. She leaned her head on a silver shoed hoof, sitting on that throne she had taken as her own, and sighed.

Deciding that her presence wasn't really required on the throne, and noting the time to be late evening, she decided to pack it in early. Perhaps in her dreamwalking she could find something interesting, some foal somewhere was bound to have a childhood issue she could help with. Even if not, the dreams of her subjects proved rather humorous at times. It was too bad her sister didn't share this ability- at least to Luna's knowledge.

She slid out of her throne, and trotted to the end of the room. The guards, quite skilled at their job, opened the doors from the other side to allow her to pass.

"I will be retiring early tonight, if anypony comes seeking an audience, they can wait until tomorrow," she said.

"As you wish, your highness," Both guards said, bowing.

"Good, you can take the night off, no sense guarding an empty throne," Luna said, and took down the hallway as the guards giddily abandoned their position. Reward the good, disparage the bad- these guards had stood there all day for weeks without complaint.

Soon she reached the balcony where she and her sister traditionally 'traded places'. A little earlier than usual, Celestia stood watching the sunset at the end.

"Good evening sister, you're only here this early when you're troubled," Luna said, coming to her side.

Celestia was indeed, her gaze betrayed some deep problem.

"I got some strange news from Ponyville today. Princess Twilight has left the town, without informing any of her friends. The police haven't seen anything, and none of the train conductors have seen her," She said.

Luna was worried by this too. "She can't have just disappeared, this is greatly troubling. Could the griffons somehow be behind this?" she asked.

Celestia shook her head. "Impossible, somebody in Ponyville would have seen something. As near as we can tell, she left on her own. I just can't figure out why, or where," She said.

Luna put an arm around her sister, which required her to levitate slightly upwards to match her incredible height.

"Twilight is capable in her own right, I am sure she is fine," she said

"Worry not, I will put my Night Guard on this," she added.

Celestia nodded.

"I hope your faith in them is deserved, I suggest you look into this personally as well," Celestia suggested.

Luna knew it was more then that. Celestia had never trusted the Night Guard- especially after their support of her a thousand years past. She was pleading for her sisters help where her own hooves were tied.

"I will do so, for you sister," Luna said, and embraced her sister with the hope of calming her nerves.

Celestia had always loved her protege, a love Luna had never felt, but understood. Twilight had once shown her that she needn't be separate from the other ponies, that she could embrace whom she really was and enjoy life with them. She had shown her the magic of friendship, and quite possibly averted a repeat of a millennia ago. Twilight was a personal friend, and if she needed her help- she would be there.

This was on top of the fact that she was an alicorn princess, and thus her disappearance meant that somebody could have kidnapped a head of state. Twilight's position made her a rather large target.

Celestia released her sister, and nodded her silent thanks. She then turned to the sunset, and with a dim shimmer of her alicorn completed the cycle.

"Find her, please," Celestia said, and took her leave.

Luna nodded, and turned to raise her moon.

"Wherever you are Twilight Sparkle, I will find you. Whatever you need, I will provide it. Whoever threatens you, I will make them fall," She said to herself as she did so.

Once that was complete, she turned back into the castle. Shortly down a hall one of her Night Guards, a young looking bat pony, approached her.

"Your Highness," She said, bowing.

"Yes?" Luna asked.

The pony produced a small parchment from her armour, and handed it to her queen.

"I was told to deliver this to you, it comes from Archer, in Manehatten," she said, and bowed again before leaving.

"Hold on, I have a request of you," Luna said.

The short guard stopped, Luna guessed she mustn't be much older than 14.

"Yes, your highness?" she asked.

"Tell Mezza Luna to put the guard on alert, Princess Twilight Sparkle is missing. I want a patrol over the Everfree, and check the coastal defenses," Luna ordered.

"As you wish, your highness," The young guard said, and bowed again.

"Thank you," Luna said, and unraveled the parchment. A gentle glow from her horn held it, and she read while she trotted on.

Your Highness, I hope this letter meets you well. I request that you put under our command the H.M.S Marauder as soon as it is complete, so we can conduct long range raids behind the lines. The ship will be in good hooves, I assure you; and we've planned an operation that, if completed, could decisively end the war. I can't divulge too much on unsecured communication such as this, but rest assured we have the best interests of the nation at heart.

May your reign last a thousand years.

Archer, Night Guard Intelligence.

Luna frowned and folded the letter back up, slipping it under her chestplate. She thought she had explained well enough that the Night Guards role was to be passive support in the war, and defense on the homefront. They didn't have the numbers for some heroic operation like this, it would end in tragedy. She would have to go to Manehatten and explain this to Archer personally. Celestia could take over for a day or so.

A short while later, she strode into her room, which mirrored her old room within the mountain. Her new role as Queen made her think that it was more proper to take up the room across from her sister, up in the high towers. It mirrored her old one within the mountain, an elegant desk beside a dresser, and several paintings of those whom she had once loved in the past. It was a long, long, time since anypony had caught her fancy, but there had been those that had. She could have any stallion in the country if she wanted, but only the best would do. The war kept her too busy to look.

In the centre was an elegantly framed bed, and all the room had been re-painted to match Luna's 'style'. Dark purple and black, with shimmering white stars, even the thin bed curtains matched this.

Every night, or every morning now, Luna took time to keep up her appearance as "Princess of the Night," Eyeshadow, she felt, was somewhat important to this. She also, secretly, touched up her cutie mark to make it stand out more. A thin dabbling of polish made the moon on her flank shimmer in the night light, an impressive effect.

Confidence in one's appearance was a part of confidence in one's self as a whole, and Luna was greatly confident in her appearance.

With the moon watching over the world, she put the parchment on a desk beside the red phone that connected her to Mezza Luna- she would be informed of any developments- and disrobed, leaving her armour and shoes on the floor. She then flopped herself on the bed, and entered the half-lucid dream walking state she occasionally ventured into. Most of the time she erased the memories of those she helped, for she couldn't help everypony and didn't want to be seen to pick favorites. Those in Ponyville however, were special to her. She didn't care who knew it- they were the only ones that even approached kindness on the last Nightmare Night.

Ponyville recieved a significant stipend as well due to this, Luna treated those that served her well. The owner of the local farm had been protesting against industrialization however, but that was a matter for another time.

Luna was in the word of dreams, which she called 'the dreamscape'. It was oddly similar in description to her sisters 'out there' and what Twilight called 'beyond'. She never quite understood how her sister was able to 'elevate' ponies to alicorn status, having been born that way themselves. If this place had something to do with it, it just added to the mystery. A mystery that Luna was willing to allow remain unsolved, some things were meant to remain unknown.

Within an infinitely wide expanse of streaming stars the dreams of the pony population- and a few other species Luna had long since learned to give a wide berth, flowed through the dark expanse. Some of them were slow, and bobbled up and down like fluffy clouds. Others sped by, with a fiery appearance that could slam into one if they weren't careful of their surroundings. Getting caught in a nightmare was a frightening experience- even for a night mare.

There were a few others which glowed a pink fire. These were the lustful dreams of the young. It brought infinite amusement to note that quite a few involved herself, more then her sister- by far.

She had divorced her first husband rather quickly after finding the reverse to be true in his mind.

Floating amongst them all Luna didn't see anything very unusual at first glance. A few foals fretting over school, a few thousand different variations on workplace nerves, and the occasional lucid dream. One of these was Wildcard, the changeling ambassador. He had long since displayed his uncanny lucid dreaming abilities, and Luna respected his privacy- most of the time. He had once again returned to that lake he so often did when something was bothering him. If Luna had to guess, it was probably the ever deteriorating relations between him and his home country. How it was that she respected him so despite what he was, and only he had the power to make his people the same- or they would meet the same fate as the griffons eventually.

Looking away from that, Luna saw a dreamcloud burning with fear in the distance. She could feel the fear pouring out of it, and it was so powerful that it created the effect of darkening any near it. Somepony out there was scared, terrified even.

Luna lit her alicorn, which in this place glowed green instead of the usual dark purple, and quarantined the dark dream.

"Whom in my realm could be so afraid, and of what?" Luna said to herself, flying over to investigate.

As she did a white flash of blinding light emanated from it, and she quickened her pace towards squinting through the light. Barely visible was an island, which was now little more then a scorched hole, and two figures hovering above it.

She soon marked the first as Twilight, and hovered some distance above to better understand her fear before diving in.

"I... I did this..." Twilight stammered to herself.

"You brought us our victory! So many dead, every single one of them! You've become a god Twilight, a god of death!"

"But the children... the wives..." Twilight continued, clearly distressed.

What exactly was this, was she worried about her alicorn powers?

"All dead, all of them! The griffons are extinct, and we will bring the same to the other races! We will rule the world side by side Twilight Sparkle, and the night shall last forever!" The other yelled, and gave into a fit of manic cackling.

Luna finally recognized who it was.

It was her- Nightmare Moon.

She swooped down at the figure and blasted it out of Twilights dream.

"Enough!" She yelled, and picked up Twilight in her swoop.

She quickly deposited her on a solid line of stars, and the dream island vanished.

"Princess Luna?" Twilight asked, glancing around confused.

"W.. how are you here, why am I here?" She asked quickly.

"Again.." She added, looking down at the path of stars.

Luna was about to speak, but Twilight started frantically trotting in place before she could, stammering out something.

"I failed, I did their work for them, which means I failed as a princess. You're going to take it away, aren't you?"

Luna saw a flurry of tears come to her eyes, but now was not the time for calming her. She needed to know what she meant: Who's work?

"Yes, Twilight Sparkle, you have failed. But you can still make it right, if you tell me what you have done," Luna ordered, a sharp crack in her voice.

"I... I helped them build their genocidal weapon. Thanks to me they'll be able to use it, and... destroy the griffons," Twilight said, and allowed her quaking body to flop onto the path.

"Who, who's weapon? Explain yourself!" Luna yelled, she was getting quite worried herself and needed to know- right now- just what was going on.

"The Night Guard! Don't you know? They're yours after all!" Twilight returned, and came to all four again.

"Wait a second... it's you! You're the evil here, they only follow your orders!" Twilight accused, backing down the pathway.

"I gave no such order for a weapon like you describe! Explain, in full, and maybe I can help you," Luna demanded.

"I got a message in Ponyvile, from one of your Night Guards," Twilight said, pointing an accusing hoof forwards. For whatever reason however, she couldn't hold it up for long.

Luna dashed forward out of concern as her stance wavered, but was blocked by a purple field.

"Twilight, I assure you I do-"

Twilight glared at her from behind her wall. "You don't know? There's an entire labratory under Manehatten, with a hundred staff, and you're telling me you don't know?!" She screamed.

"Manehatten, is that where you have gone?" Luna asked.

"That's right, Princess Luna. You had them lie to me, pretend to be interested in my own work. You used me, used me like a tool. Used me to complete your horrible creation, the alicornium bomb," Twilight growled.

Luna couldn't hide her shock. "Weaponized alicornium!?!" She exclaimed. Few things Luna feared, but that thought was one of them.

"That's right Princess, you can kill the entire world with it. I hope you're happy Princess, I thought you were a good pony, I respected you, I even befriended you- and now I see the truth. You never gave up, you always wanted to take over. Well you and your damned Night Guard did it. When I awaken I'm going to lay waste to that place, I've seen the power I hold before! I won't survive, but at least your horrible plans will be stopped!" Twilight yelled, fire in her ears and a sharpness in her voice.

"Twilight, you've got it all wrong! I've done no such thing, you have to let me help you!" Luna yelled, and had an idea. Glancing behind her she could feel her sister out there, she was asleep. This, hopefully, was her ace.

"Twilight, you have to believe me! I want no harm for you, or for my sister!" Luna yelled, and with a blaze of her horn a rather confused Celestia appeared at her side.

"Celestia?!" Twilight exclaimed in confusion, although not lowering her shield.

"T.. Twlight?" Celestia asked, and glancing around noticed Luna beside her.

"Luna? What exactly is going on?" Celestia asked.

"Twilight Sparkle believes I have ordered the Night Guard to kidnap her, and force her to create a superweapon. I brought you here as proof I have done no such thing, and only want to help," Luna explained.

Celestia had a sharp mind, and instantly understood. A quick nod to her sister marked that fact.

"Twilight, she's right. Luna will never do anything do hurt you. If the Night Guard has done something evil, then it was on their own accord. Let us help," Celestia said, and passed right through the shield. Luna tried to follow, but bumped into it.

"Do you realize what they've done Celestia? They tricked me, brought me to this secret lab of theirs, and took advantage of my own naivety to help them make a terrible weapon, an alicornium bomb," Twilight said.

Celestia glanced back with a questioning horror on her face, and Luna could do naught but nod.

"Twilight.. do you know what this means?"

"Of course I know what it means!" Twilight barked. "They're going to destroy the griffons, kill us, and then you can have that everlasting night you wanted so badly, 'queen'!" She yelled, pointing towards Luna, and proceeding to fall over with the exertion.

Celestia picked her up with her magic, and Luna watched helplessly.

"Twilight, Twilight what did they do to you?" Celestia asked worriedly.

"I don't know..." Twilight said weakly. Her form began to fade from the dreamscape, but Luna was able to strengthen it. She connected to her body, and gave Twilight some of her own strength. It was then that she finally realized why she had seemed so weak, even in a dreamworld.

"She's been poisoned," Luna said.

"No..." Celestia said, clutching her protege. "They can't, they can't have!" She screamed, Twilight continuing to fade in her arms.

"She won't die, but she's weak. Too weak to even dream," Luna said.

Twilight vanished, and after a moment of silence Celestia took a deep breath.

"I will destroy them. Every single one of them. Nopony, nopony hurts those I love. I will do them what I did to Sombra so many years past, but this time I won't hesitate," she said, and as she stood her mane came aflame.

Luna had gone from one problem to another, Celestia was referring to the fact she couldn't make herself end Sombra's life, allowing him to disappear into shadow. Celestia had vowed then never again to do... exactly what she was doing now.

"Sister, you know you can't do this. It would destroy who you are!" Luna shouted, staring up at the flaming visage of Solar Flare.

"Who are you to tell me what I can and cannot do? I ran Equestria for a thousand years without you, and sat back while you took power to fight this war for me! I draw the line here, this has gone too far! Celestia was weak, feeble, unable to act- and now look what's happened!"

"Sister please, allow me to handle this!" Luna argued, standing her ground as her sister approached, towering over her.

"Like you've been handling it so far? Twilight is poisoned, your own Night Guard is betraying you, and now they have a super weapon!" She yelled, pointing her horn downwards threateningly.

"S... Celestia, you're going to do something you'll regret, control yourself!" Luna shouted up at her.

The irony of the situation was not lost on her.

"I regret nothing except not doing this sooner! I should have never given power back to you, everything has only gotten worse since you came back. I should have known better then to trust you," Her sister mocked.

Luna sighed.

"If you insist on doing this, on dancing this dance, then so be it," Luna said, and shimmered as she assumed her fighting form- Nightmare Moon.

She, unlike her sister, was in full control of herself in this form. Her hope was she could get her sister to overextend, exhaust her power, and force her to confront herself.

Hopefully without dieing.

The risk was huge, Celestia at her best was far more powerful then Luna. The only reason she had managed to best her a thousand years ago was her reluctance to use her true powers.

Luna struck first, Blasting her sister with a radiating sphere of explosive magic force. While she stumbled backward, Luna leapt off the star path and swooped downwards opening her wings, and dodging beams narrowly as she swayed side to side.

"I should have done this a thousand years ago!" C- no Solar Flare, shouted behind her.

"You can certainly try!" Luna shouted back, firing off a hasty beam to goad her onwards.

A much thicker beam came in reply, and charred the tips of Luna's wings in it's passing. It exploded a building in someponies dream, and into this dream they both flew.

How were they going to explain this to their subjects? Luna wondered, and veered between what looked like low buildings of Ponyville.

Her sister continued to hurl magic energy, setting the buildings aflame. This was apparently enough of a shock to wake their unfortunate host- leaving Luna defenseless in the open void.

Another magic beam flew past into that void, a hair thinner then before. Luna didn't know what would happen if she, or her sister, died in here- but she was in no hurry to find out. She spotted another dream, specifically a nightmare, and flew upwards towards it.

Glancing back at Celestia Luna, dodged another bolt by rolling to the side, and flew into the dream from the under the outer side.

It was a boiling river of lava, a pony on a wooden raft in the middle watching with amazement as Nightmare Moon blew past him, followed by Solar Flare.

Flying forward as fast as possible Luna dodged explosive piles of molten rock, while her sister extended a magic field around herself and blasted through them.

Up ahead one of the geysers adjusted it's course and flew directly at Luna, glowing with a golden field as Solar Flare tried to smother her with the rock. Luna flew directly towards it, and blew it apart with a blast from her horn to fly through. On the other side she flew upwards and flipped over, managing to get behind her sister whom shot through after her directly forwards.

"Have you gotten so old!" Luna shouted, making Solar Flare halt in the air.

"That you can't see what's right in front of you?" she goaded, and shot a weak beam right at her. It caught her sister in the chest, but did no more then only anger her further.

"I will end you!" She yelled, and her eyes blazed as all around Luna molten rock began to rumble. Taking the hint she darted upwards and barely managed to stay ahead of the stream exploding behind. She soon left this dream, followed by a stream of molten rock that flew past as she flew forwards. Taking a glance behind her sister was not far behind, but she was slowing.

Just a little more time... Luna thought, and glanced around for another diversion. Up ahead she saw a good candidate- a pony afraid of public speaking was standing before a crowd clad in polka-dot underpants.

Which was a strange fear since they barely wore clothing to begin with, but that thought was neither here nor there. Luna shot forward with a burst of speed and dropped herself into the crowd of imagined ponies.

Solar Flare followed shortly, angrily glancing around for her target.

"Princess! Face me like a mare!" She shouted, and let lose a beam of energy that ran through the shimmering crowd.

That ponies going to have a whole new fear now.

Luna held for a moment more, until Solar Flare was right above. Then she crouched low and sprang upward slamming through Solar Flare, and shooting up through the dreams sky.

"You're too slow!" Luna gloated, again shooting a weak beam backwards. It missed by a country mile, but it kept the impression up.

To her terrified horror she then realized that they were at the end of this section of dreams. The only thing ahead was the void, and the only thing behind was Solar Flare. So Luna stopped, it was time to face the justice that Luna had hoped would never come.

Luna turned, and faced her sister at a hover a short distance away.

"Give up?" Solar Flare asked menacingly.

Luna gritted her pointed teeth. "Never," She said.

Solar Flare grinned, but Luna saw a hint of hesitation in her eyes.

"I had hoped you wouldn't," She said, and her horn blazed with energy.

Luna matched that with her own.

Just like a thousand years ago...

Celestia let forth her blast first, but Luna did the unexpected and did... nothing. She allowed the beam to slam into her, and was thrown backwards as the energy exploded against her body, shattering the armour she wore and throwing her backwards as she returned to her normal form. Pain, more pain than she thought possible arced through every nerve, every cell, every aspect of her very self. Only through sheer willpower was she able to remain lucid, but she couldn't stop herself from screaming out with pain. Horrible pain.

Was this what her sister had felt?

It was up to her now, whether she would finish it. There was a dark irony in the fact that it was her own Night Guard that put her in this position, and if Luna died now there would be no stopping her sister from annihilating them.

The pent up energy absorbed by her body arced out around her as she floated through the dreamscape. With each arc she shuddered, but no more followed.

"... Luna," Her sister said, and she gingerly opened her eyes to see her room, and her sister standing beside her bed.

"... Sister, I'm glad you.. relented," Luna said, and painfully forced herself to sit up. Apparently, indeed, mortal harm carried over.

"Luna I'm so sorry, I... I d-" Celestia was on the verge of tears, stammering beside the bed and staring past her sister.

"Sister, we all have our demons," Luna said, putting a hoof on her sisters shoulder, and drawing her "You hid yours for so long, but we all have our limits. Whoever is behind this has harmed somepony close to us, and I will see justice done- for all of us," Luna said, and embraced her sister. They, after so long, were even.

Celestia swallowed, and regained her composure. "We'll bring them down together, I want to be there when whoever is behind this is found. I want to see the fear in their eyes when you pull them out from whatever rathole they're hiding in," She said, releasing her younger sister.

"I think I know who it is. I got a letter from an 'Archer' earlier mentioning Manehatten. Gather your centurions, I think it best we arrive unannounced," Luna suggested.

Celestia nodded. "What of Mezza Luna? Surely she has had a part in this," she asked.

"I don't think so, I haven't seen anything to suspect her of treason, even if I wonder about her methods sometimes," Luna said.

Celestia sighed. "Fine, but you better have a long talk with her after this. We almost came to disaster in a half dozen ways, and we're not out of the woods yet. If she had anything to do with this..."

Luna silenced her with a wave of her hoof. "The penalty for treason, sister, is death. If I ever find any proof, I assure you I will be swift in my judgement. For now, all we have to go on is the possibility of a rogue section in Manehatten," Luna said, and swung her legs over the side of the bed.

"Ready your centurions, we fly for Manehatten. If I have to tear the city apart room by room- we'll find her," Luna said.

Archer, you've made a powerful enemy here today, and the irony is I have saved you from an even more powerful one. Too bad I won't let you live to be thankful for it.

PreviousChapters Next