• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 1,497 Views, 27 Comments

Shadows of Canterlot - Prane



Join Trixie, agent of the Conclave - an elite and covert congregation of unicorns sworn to protect ponies from magic and...magic from ponies, sometimes.

  • ...
0
 27
 1,497

Chapter 5

Shadows of Canterlot
by Prane
Chapter 5

The two unicorns got off the train, stretching after a long journey.

'I've never been to Ponyville, you know.', Sunseeker said, looking around the platform. 'Heard a lot about it, but never visited.'

'Oh, good.', Trixie sighed with relief. 'I'll be mercifully free from your they know me here stuff.'

They inquired at the ticket office when does the train to Canterlot leave. It turned out their only option was to take the tomorrow's afternoon one - and tomorrow was Nightmare Night, after which Equestria might never be the same. The perspective of a coup scared Trixie, but the thought of being trapped in Ponyville for the time being was at least terrifying for her.

They left the railway station and headed towards the Town Square, hoping to find some shelter for the upcoming night. It was getting late and most Ponyvillians were already back in their timber-framed houses, some of which were already decorated with pumpkins, fake bats and web-like nets.

'Tell me if I'm wrong', Sunseeker started. 'But isn't the Nightmare Night Celebration in Canterlot an event of a great caliber?'

They stopped near the pool with a stone statue of a rearing pony. Trixie nodded.

'Everything in Canterlot is.', she replied. 'What is your point?'

'As far I know, formal attires are commonly required to participate.', the stallion explained. 'I'm sure you have plenty of dresses in your apartment, but I don't have my tuxedo with me and...'

'Actually, I don't have any.'

'You don't?', Sunseeker looked shocked. 'How can you live in the cultural centre of the world and not have at least a dozen of different garments!?'

Trixie didn't answer. He was right - the proper clothing was an absolute must during any festival. It served as a status symbol among ponies, a kind of an entry pass to receptions, banquets and all other cultural activities. In Canterlot, a pony was defined by what she wore.

'Then it's settled! We need to get some fancy clothes!', he said, smiling widely. 'I heard about the unicorn living here, she might be able to help us out. Hold on a second...'

He then approached a random pony walking through the Town Square. Not walking, Trixie corrected herself. The pinkish mare was moving in bounces. She seemed overjoyed when Sunseeker talked to her and began to jump around him. Trixie didn't want to be a part of this, so she just stared at the stone statue and wished she wouldn't have to interact with anypony in this village.

After a while, Sunseeker returned to her.

'This is crazy!', he laughed. 'I just met her, asked about our fashion designer and she told me not only where to go, but also invited us to a welcoming party in a place known as the Sugarcube Corner, tomorrow at noon!'

Trixie rolled her eyes.

'Focus, you party animal. Where to?'

'The unicorn we're looking for lives in the Carousel Boutique, not far from here. Come on!'

On their way to the boutique, Trixie was pondering. She was certain there was something about Ponyville and fashion designers, but what? Was this city famous for its exceptional clothing? No, clothes were not popular here. Any important fashion shows here? No, there was Canterlot for that. Or maybe she met a designer last time she was...

'By the way, her name is Rarity.', Sunseeker added.

Oh no.

'Do we really have to do our shopping... here?', Trixie asked hesitantly. 'Can't we go someplace else?'

Sunseeker looked back.

'Someplace else? No way.', he answered. 'It's the only clothing store nearby.'

‘What about Canterlot? There are clothing stores in Canterlot, aren’t there?’

‘Don’t be ridiculous. All the dresses will be sold out just before the main event.’

Trixie recalled what she was told at Hoity Toity's shop, but she was not giving up.

‘How about fashion designers?’

‘Yes, we’re about to meet one.’, he said and nodded at the boutique. ‘Very talented, from what I heard.’

The white stallion walked around Trixie.

‘Come on. I though you mares like shopping...’, Sunseeker said and went inside. Trixie followed him reluctantly, bracing for the worst.

The bell at the door rang.

‘Welcome to Carousel Boutique!’, a voice greeted them. ‘Where every garment is chic, unique and magnifique!’

The voice belonged to the mare with a gleaming white coat and the purple mane and tail, stylishly curled at its tips. Her steps were gentle and she kept her head high, smiling softly like the movie stars. Saying that she looked more royal than the Princesses would be an exaggeration, but not too far-reaching.

'Good afternoon, Miss Rarity. My name is Sunseeker and we would like to...'

Rarity caught an eye on the azure unicorn.

'It is you!', she shouted, pointing at Trixie. 'How dare you trespass on my property!'

Trixie didn't even try to reason with her.

'You know each other?', Sunseeker asked, slightly confused.

'Well of course we do! GET OUT!'

Slam. After a second the two unicorns were outside the Carousel Boutique.

'It's a shame, she was pretty...', Sunseeker murmured, straightening up. 'So, what happened between you and the lovely lady?'

They headed back to the town.

'I... happened to call her mane's a rat's nest.', Trixie said. 'And turned it green.'

'Ouch, that's mean, even for you.'

'I'm not proud of it. I was... a different mare back then.', she admitted and lowered her head.

They were going to search for the place to sleep, but luckily, the place found them.

'Good to see you again, Trixie.', said the purple unicorn as they were passing by the big tree.

'Sparkle! What are you doing here?'

Trixie realized that only a week has passed since the last time she was here. It seemed Princess Celestia got what she wanted when she told the azure mare to visit Ponyville soon. Luckily Trixie didn't have to say anything, as Sunseeker introduced himself and explained their situation - careful not to reveal what they knew about conspiracy against the royalty of Equestria.

'You are welcome to stay here.' Twilight said. 'Come on in!'

After the common meal Sunseeker went with Spike to get himself some extra blankets while Trixie was accommodated in Twilight's room upstairs.

'I see you made a friend.', Twilight observed when they were already in beds. 'Good for you. How did you two meet?'

'There is no us two, Sparkle.', Trixie denied. 'We just travel together.'

'Okay then, how do you like Ponyville so far?'

Trixie told her about what happened at the Carousel Boutique.

'It seems you need to apologize for what you did to solve this.', Twilight said.

'Are you deaf, Sparkle? She literally thrown us out!', Trixie rebelled and almost thrown a pillow at the purple unicorn.

'Rarity tends to be overdramatic sometimes, but she'll get over.'

'But she won't accept my apology!'

'Or maybe you are not accepting the fact that ponies can forgive?'

'They do?', Trixie replied. 'I mean, they do.'

'Forgiveness is one of the things that strengthen ponies' friendship.'

Friendship. This concept remained elusive for Trixie for a long time... perhaps a bit too long. But she finally found it - the factor that balanced the equation between Sunseeker's popularity and esteem. The factor responsible for creating the unbreakable bonds between ponies. The factor that opens a whole new world of possibilities through kindness, laughter, generosity, honesty and loyalty.

It was high time for Trixie to learn the new magic.

'Will you come with me, Twilight?', she whispered.

'I will.', the purple mare assured. 'But tomorrow. Now sleep.'

* * *

Apple Bloom joined Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle just outside the Carousel Boutique.

'Ah came as fast as ah could!', she said, breathing heavily. 'What's going on?'

'Sweetie Belle says that Trixie is in Ponyville! And she just went in with Twilight!', the orange pegasus explained.

'What!? Now we can find out more about her!'

'When we got back from our school trip, I asked Rarity if she knows anything about Trixie.', the unicorn filly said. 'But she only screamed and ran to the nearest mirror to check her mane!'

Three fillies listened carefully. There were no shouts coming from the boutique.

Apple Bloom added that her sister responded weird too, when inquired about the azure mare. She became less talkative than Big Macintosh. And Scootaloo mentioned that Rainbow Dash told her to never speak of Trixie again.

The trio was wondering what was going on and why nopony tells them anything, when the door began to open.

'Quick! Hide!'

Trixie and Twilight went out of the boutique.

'You were right, Twilight.', the azure mare admitted. 'It felt good to reconcile with Rarity. But I can't believe she agreed to make attires for me and Sunseeker.'

'That's generosity. One of the traits of friendship. It means...'

Two mares went away, but three fillies were still lurking inside the bush.

'Why were we even hiding? This is stupid!', Scootaloo jumped out, then two other ponies followed. 'I'm going to talk to Trixie right now.'

'You can't! Ponies don't fight and throw other ponies into the Canterlot waterfall for no reason! I think she might be evil!'

'Recon-what?', Apple Bloom snapped out of confusion.

'Reconcile. It means that they now get along with no fights!'

'Not bad for a dictionary...', the orange filly frowned. 'Fine, let's do it you way, Sweetie Belle.'

They followed Trixie and Twilight into town.

Every pony was busy, preparing the Town Square for the Nightmare Night this evening. Earth ponies were making various ornaments, unicorns were helping with heavier objects and pegasi were hanging banners or moving decorations from one place to another.

Suddenly a pumpkin fell just in front of Trixie, nearly hitting her. She seemed angry at first, just as she was ready to set the world on fire, but after Twilight poked her and winked she cheered up.

'Please be careful next time... my grey... pegasus friend!', she shouted towards the sky. She then turned at Twilight and received a confirming nod.

Over the next couple of hours the two mares were helping ponies around Ponyville with the preparations and repaid them with a friendly chat. Some of them recognized Trixie, but instead laughing at her, they were excited to meet her. It turned out they actually enjoyed the show Trixie gave last time and asked if she can show some more stage magic. Encouraged by Twilight, she later gave a performance during the Sugarcube Corner welcoming party thrown off by Pinkie Pie. This time, however, she only chose tricks from her repertoire that in no way could hurt other ponies' feelings.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders observed Trixie apologizing Applejack and Rainbow Dash for something. It was a clue for Sweetie Belle's evil-Trixie theory, but was quickly countered with a parcel from Rarity. You don't give presents to bad ponies, right? They also learned that the white stallion is called Sunseeker and he spends most of his time at the buffet or getting to know all the ponies he meets.

After the party Twilight walked Trixie and Sunseeker to the train station, and the trio of fillies followed their every hoofstep.

'Thank you.', the azure mare said as they were standing on the platform. 'For... everything.'

'You're quite welcome.', the purple one replied. 'Just remember what you have learned here. It applies to most ponies.'

'Will do.'

Trixie and the white stallion got on the train.

'I don't know.', Sweetie Belle said, as they observed the train guard pony closing the cars’ doors. 'I can't shake off the feeling that Trixie is hiding something.'

'We will find it out.', Apple Bloom assured. 'We're the Cutie Mark Crusaders, right?'

'And then we'll write an article about it!', Scootaloo said.

'Which newspaper would print that?'

'I don't know... just thinking out loud. C'mon, let's go and work on our costumes for tonight.'

The train guard pony whistled.

* * *

'What a place, this Ponyville!', Sunseeker said as the train began to move. 'I think I'll spend may next holiday here. So many ponies to meet!'

'You mean, so many mares to meet?', Trixie mocked him.

'Your point?', he replied with a grin, putting the parcel with their new attires on a compartment's shelf.

Trixie didn't answer. Despite of what she expected, she actually enjoyed the stay in Ponyville. And even made some friends! Friends, funny word... sounded weirdly silly, yet surprisingly warm at the same time. Like the word of a foreign language that she just started to learn.

Unfortunately, she had to leave studying it for now. As the agent of the Conclave she must remain focused and vigilant, so she closed her eyes to get some rest before the evening. She felt that something really big was about to happen.

The Nightmare Night was coming.