• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 720 Views, 11 Comments

Queen of Equestria - Ponyman14



Life in Equestria returns to normal after the six friends defeat a powerful dragon. But bizarre dreams leave Rarity struggling with new emotions. While trying to come to grips with her feelings, Rarity realizes the ordeal might not be entirely over.

  • ...
3
 11
 720

Chapter 4

Rarity gently turned on her side. Bright daylight glowed through the curtains in her room and lit up her dresses with bright and beautiful colors. Her expensive silk sheets, made warm from her body heat, moved with her as she turned in bed. Rarity removed her night mask and rubbed her eyes with a hoof. She blinked in the diluted daylight. She had slept soundly and experienced no nightmares last night.

She looked at the clock on her bedside table, yawned, and climbed out of bed. Today was going to be a wonderful day. She had only a few dresses to finish, and had ample time to do so. Sweetie Belle was out of the way, staying with their parents, and Rarity was going to the spa with her best friend Fluttershy. To top it all off, the weather was superb.

Rarity put on her fluffy, pink bathrobe and did her morning routine. While she ate her breakfast, Rarity's mind wandered back to the dragon ordeal. While she was mostly over it, the upsetting event still would not leave Rarity's mind.

"What if the dragon had been telling the truth? What if he did want to make me a princess?" thought Rarity. "Imagine, me, Princess Rarity."

She smiled as she gave into the day dream.

"I'd have my own servant mares, and they'd all say 'yes Miss Rarity, you are so beautiful Miss Rarity.' And I'd live in a big castle with elegant rooms and arched hallways, and there would be a handsome unicorn prince. But not like Prince Blueblood, that jerk! No, my prince would pamper me and love me, and treat me like a true lady. And I would have gems! All the biggest, and most bedazzling gems in the empire! Diamonds, Emeralds, and Rubies oh my!"

Rarity smiled euphorically at the wonderful thought.

"But no, it's a ridiculous thought. How would that even work? Things don't work like that, you silly mare. The dragon wanted to break apart the elements, nothing else. It was just never meant to be Rarity, you're not an alicorn," thought Rarity's reasonable half. "Princesses must be born princesses, or in Twilight's case… Never mind. It is no matter."

"Twilight…" Rarity closed her eyes as she contemplated her friend's coronation as princess.

"Am I jealous of her, aren't I? Yesterday she was just an adorable nerd, and today she's an Equestrian princess with fame and status… How did she do it? Was it merely the act of completing Starswirl the Bearded's spell, or did Princesses Celestia intend to make her an alicorn from the beginning?

"When it comes down to it, are Twilight's academic excellence, leadership ability, and magical proficiency the only reasons that she became a princess? What if I, Rarity, had instead been a prime student at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns? What was it again that the dragon said just as we defeated him? 'Our destinies are not chosen for us, but by us.'

"Nonsense, my magic is nowhere near the level of Twilight's. She's worked her whole life for this; it's even her cutie mark for Celestia's sake. You're life calling is making things look beautiful and pristine; thus your cutie mark representing beauty and your career of creating stunning dresses," Rarity told herself. "I'm not meant to be a princess. It's just not meant to be, and that's the end of it."

Having finished her breakfast, Rarity returned upstairs to the creative paradise that was her room. She looked over the promenade dresses and was satisfied with her work. Seeing the finished product was just as rewarding as giving it to the customer.

"Lovely," said the unicorn, as she looked through her work. She stopped as she looked over a dress.

Rarity gasped, "Idea!"

She trotted over to her sewing machine, levitated several rolls of fabric. She made a few cuts, and turned the machine on.

But suddenly she felt lightheaded. Déjà vu. This seemed like the start of the nightmare just two nights ago. Rarity recalled the dream of sewing as an old and decrepit mare. She had stood just like this, and she had held the fabric just like this.

"That will be me in not all that many years," thought Rarity, as a shiver ran down her spine.

"That's alright. I don't need to sew today anyways," she said as she turned off the sewing machine. "Today is for relaxation. I should get some fresh air."

Rarity left her sewing materials where they were, grabbed her knapsack, and left the boutique. It was very unlike her not to pursue a creative idea.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -[]- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Hiya Rarity! Get kidnapped by any dragons today?" blurted Pinkie Pie as Rarity walked into Sugar Cube Corner. Pinkie was standing behind the store counter, but came bounding out excitedly upon seeing her friend.

"Pinkie, I've been trying to not think about that," said Rarity.

"You can't hide from your past, silly. Believe me, it will only make you sad. It builds up inside of you like a cake in the oven, and if you leave it in too long it explodes!" Pinkie threw her arms up in the air to simulate and explosion. "Nope, it's best to let everything out. When you've got a problem, just tell somepony and it makes everything better."

Rarity and her friends had seen Pinkie Pie when she got depressed; it was not a pretty sight.

"Do you wanna to talk about it, Rarity? We can take turns! I'll tell you all about my depressing childhood on the rock farm!" said Pinkie Pie excitedly.

"Thanks but no thanks, Pinkie. Besides, that's not why I'm here," explained Rarity.

"Are you here for a cupcake? A chocolate cake? A strawberry cake? A cake cake? Oh, I know! You're here to help me bake muffins!" said Pinkie as she jumped up and down.

"Well actually I only stopped in to say hello," explained Rarity.

"Aww, you didn't have to do that," Pinkie Pie leaned forward and hugged her friend.

"Pinkie? … Thanks. I needed a hug," blushed Rarity.

"I can always tell when somepony needs a hug," said Pinkie, winking at Rarity. "So, what are ya doin' today?"

"I'm just out for some fresh air before my appointment at the spa with Fluttershy. You're more than welcome to join us if you like."

"Gosh, that's sounds super duper fun… But Mr. and Mrs. Cake are out, and I've got to run the whole store this afternoon," frowned Pinkie Pie.

"Perhaps another time, Pinkie," said Rarity, trying to cheer up her bipolar friend.

"Whoops, looks like I've got a customer!" said Pinkie Pie, as an earth pony walked through the door.

"Okay. I'll see you this weekend, Pinkie, at our picnic," said Rarity, as Pinkie trotted back to the counter.

"Okey dokey lokey!" shouted Pinkie Pie.

Rarity walked out of the store. She never had much of a sweet tooth, unless you counted her love for pure, rich, dark chocolate. Having expensive tastes meant additional living expenses, but it was manageable.

"Now where to?" thought Rarity.

She wasn't used to having so much free time. She was always working on a dress, or thinking of new ideas for one, or looking after Sweetie Belle. But she just didn't feel like sewing today. Ponies were walking through the streets. Rarity could see the local street market down one of the avenues. She might as well take a stroll through the market, as long as she had time to spare.

Rarity said "Hi" to nearly a dozen ponies before she even reached the market. Ponyville was small enough where everypony knew almost everypony else. As Rarity entered the market, she noticed the immediate attention upon her. A few stallions here, a few mares there… They all turned to see the prettiest pony in Ponyville.

"Hey Rarity!" called a stallion nearby. He was Rarity's neighbor, and had once pulled her friends to The Gala in Canterlot in a carriage.

Rarity smiled and flicked her flowing mane in his direction, leaving the poor stallion speechless. Rarity smirked and kept walking. She looked around to see if she needed anything from the market. Nothing she could think of at the time. Rarity stopped at a flower stand to admire the wonderful bouquets of colors and scents.

"Nice to see you Rarity," said a passing mare.

"Likewise, Lily," she responded.

A few stalls away, the Apple family had their apple stand set up and were doing business. Big Macintosh, Applejack's older brother, was working the stand along with her. He spotted his sister's unicorn friend, Rarity, standing nearby.

"Excuse me, can I get a discount if I buy a whole bag of apples?" said a pegasus pony, walking up to the stand. Applejack was busy with another customer and left Big Mac to handle it.

Rarity leaned forward and took a big whiff of some roses, exhaling with delight. Her wavy mane glistened in the sunlight. Big Macintosh's mouth fell open and the straw he had been chewing fell out of his mouth.

"Eeyup!" he said, becoming starry-eyed.

"Um… Hey, are you there?" asked the pegasus customer.

"Big Macintosh, what the hay are you lookin' at?" demanded Applejack as she saw the customer being ignored.

She followed his gaze and saw that it lead straight to her friend Rarity! Applejack brought her heavy duty work down on Big Mac's head with a solid whack! Big Mac shook his head. "Ouch!" he mumbled. Blushing, he apologized to the customer and finished the sale.

"Keep your eyes to yourself. Good thing Apple Bloom aint here. What kind of impression would that have made on her?" said Big Mac's testy sister.

"Rarity! Fancy seein' you here," she said as Rarity walked up to the market stand.

"Why Applejack! And big Macintosh. It's nice to see you. I'm only out for a little stroll. A lovely day for selling apples is it not?"

"Eeyup!" said Big Macintosh smiling at Rarity.

Applejack shot a warning glance at her brother.

"I suppose I'll take an apple. What are they, two bits?" asked Rarity

"No way, sugarcube. It's on me. Go ahead, take one," said Applejack, gesturing at the display of apples.

"Oh no, I insist on paying," said Rarity, taken aback.

"Nuh uh, they're free for friends of the Apple family. And I won't take no for an answer," smiled Applejack.

"Oh haha," chuckled Rarity awkwardly, "but I insist. I can't take a hard earned apple from a dear friend."

"And I insist, I can't take hard earned bits from a good friend," said Applejack.

"Applejack, my dear, you are too kind. But seriously, here's two bits," said Rarity, becoming edgy.

"Absolutely not," snapped Applejack, as she picked up two apples in her mouth and thrust them towards Rarity.

"Eww," Rarity reared back in disgust, "now you've put your mouth on them? Perhaps I do not want any apples after all."

Big Macintosh meanwhile was blankly looking at the confrontation going on before him. Ponies in the street were now drawn to the commotion and meandered closer to the apple stall.

"Mmmm Mmmm Mmm! Pfft!" Applejack spat the apples out of her mouth so she could speak again. "Gosh dangit, Rarity! Just take an apple for free. They hardly cost us a thing."

"Applejack, you forget that I am the element of generosity. I must pay you for your product. I simply cannot bear to partake in an unequal trade!" said Rarity dramatically.

Now a number of ponies were standing around watching the scene. After a moment of hesitation, Applejack gave in.

"Alright, Rarity, have it your way. You can buy the apple," she said, sounding defeated.

"Thank you dear. Au Revoir!" said Rarity as she set two bits on the counter. Applejack scowled at the bits in front of her. Rarity ignored the two apples that had been in Applejack's mouth and selected a shiny red one from the barrel. She then trotted back the way she had come.

"Can I have a free apple?" said an earth pony who had been watching the scene.

"No," retorted Applejack, "you have to pay just like everypony else!"

The crowd slowly dispersed.

"Thanks for the help back there," said Applejack to Big Mac sarcastically.

"Eeyup," he responded.

Rarity trotted back through the market.

"Applejack sure can be stubborn," she thought.

Rarity stopped and looked at the clock adorning Ponyville town hall. It was nearly time for her spa appointment. In the other direction, she saw Twilight's tree house. Half a dozen ponies were standing around outside, trying to get a glimpse of the new princess in town. Rarity's stomach tightened up as she felt her envy and jealousy returning. She immediately imagined those ponies outside of her own home, and how much more deserving she was to have such attention. It was a thought reflex, she couldn't help it. She shunned her head away from the library, forcing herself to not look at it. This is why she had avoiding visiting Twilight today. This is why she had tried not to think about her princess friend.

"No Rarity! Your jealousy isn't going to take over. Not again," she thought to herself.

She walked towards the Ponyville Spa. A spa treatment with her best friend is just what Rarity needed to get those unpleasant thoughts off her mind.

In the lobby, Lotus, one of the two spa workers, greeted her. Rarity was one of the spa's best patrons. Rarity sat in the lobby and read a fashion magazine while she waited for Fluttershy.

"Any chance of seeing Pinkie Pie or Twilight this week, Rarity?" asked Lotus.

"No. They are both busy. But perhaps next week," she responded.

Rarity was the go-to-pony for fashion and beauty advice among her friends. She knew all the latest styles and hippest trends. She had first introduced ponies like Twilight and Pinkie to beauty products. Those ponies, otherwise, would have had no interest in such things. Rarity perked up as she heard soft hoof steps. Fluttershy stepped through the entrance and lowered her head in her characteristically shy way

"Fluttershy! How are you?" said Rarity, putting down the magazine she had been reading.

"I'm okay. But how are you, Rarity? How is your dress making going?"

"Great. The dresses are mostly done, and yours is maybe the most stunning of them all!" said Rarity happily.

"I can't wait to see it, Rarity," came Fluttershy's soft voice. "I'm sure it's wonderful."

"Rarity, Fluttershy, we're ready for you," said Lotus from behind the desk.

The two friends walked from the lobby into the spa. There were lounge-chairs around the room, a couple mud baths, a huge hot tub, salon hair dryers, and various other beautifying equipment.

There were several other ponies in the spa. One was receiving a hooficure from Lotus' sister, Aloe. And others were using tanning machines or waiting for their mud masks to dry. Rarity and Fluttershy were each given white bathrobes and lead to the hair styling station.

After a rejuvenating spa treatment, the girls relaxed in the big hot tub. Neither pony said anything, since both were enjoying the moment. Rarity nearly nodded off to sleep she was so relaxed. This is just what she had needed to get princesses off her mind.

Fluttershy noticed two new ponies come into the spa, both earth pony mares. Aloe lead them to the massage tables and they lay down. Several minutes later, one of the mares broke the peaceful silence of the spa.

"Have you heard? Princess Twilight is in town," said the mare.

"It's true. I saw her fly in on a royal chariot," responded the other.

"Wow. You really saw her?" said the first mare in awe.

"You should have seen how the gold on the chariot shimmered! She came from Canterlot I bet. There were royal guards pulling it," said the second mare.

"What a life! I can only imagine what it would be like to be a princess. I'd never have to work for bits again. Everypony would wait on me, hoof and hoof. And I'd be fed hoof to mouth, and live in something like a castle!"

Rarity's peaceful thoughts had been disturbed, and she was awake and alert again. She and Fluttershy exchanged displeased glances. The spa was a place of relaxation and rejuvenation, as well as a place of being respectful to other ponies.

"Ahem!" Rarity coughed, clearly meant to tell the ponies that they were being inconsiderate. Aloe acknowledged Rarity as she continued the massage.

"Pardon me ma'am," said Aloe to her client, "but if you could perhaps keep your voice down. There are other customers using the spa too."

"Sorry," whispered the mare.

A few minutes went by and Rarity felt her mind at ease again. Her bliss was interrupted however, when the earth ponies started talking again.

"I wonder what sort of treatment a Princess would get at a spa?" whispered the mare.

Rarity frowned.

"Oops, sorry," said the mare to Aloe, as she realized she wasn't being polite.

"Well," said Aloe, "Princess Twilight would have her mane straightened while she got a facial. Then she'd sprawl out on one of the lounges to relax. At least, that's what she did last week when she was here."

Rarity looked up, and glared at Aloe. But Aloe was preoccupied and didn't notice Rarity.

"Princess Sparkle was here last week?" said both of the mares at once.

"She sure was," boasted Aloe, a grin appearing her face as she stopped her massage.

Both the mares turned around to face Aloe, curious about her experience with the princess.

"Yep. Princess Twilight is a regular here. Probably one of our higher end clientele," bragged the spa pony.

"Yuck. You've got to be kidding me," whispered Rarity to Fluttershy.

Aloe, caught in the spotlight, felt inclined to continue her story. "Sometimes the princess requests a hooficure too."

"Oh my Celestia," said one of the mares. "What's the royal spa treatment like? Does she demand gold-flake hoof polish? What sort of super-special shampoo do you use in her mane?"

Rarity leaned out of the tub and stared in disbelief at the talkative earth ponies. She couldn't believe Aloe was letting them be so disrespectful. Rarity was, after all, a patron.

"Oh Rarity," said Fluttershy in a very concerned voice as she placed a hoof on Rarity's back. "Please don't make a scene. I'm sure they'll quiet down again in just a minute. You should really try to avoid confrontation whenever possible. I mean, at least that's what I do."

"We cater to the princess with the best treatment we have to offer," said Lotus, now joining in on the conversation. "Aloe and I do our best to make royalty feel like royalty."

"Wow!" said the first.

"Amazing," said the second.

"Oh please," said Rarity suddenly. "I've accompanied Twilight to the spa every single time she's been here. The only reason she's a regular here, is because I'm a regular here, and I invite her! She would otherwise be in her library all day with her books."

All the ponies in the spa were now looking at Rarity. Fluttershy took a deep breath and submerged herself under the murky hot tub water. She hated socially awkward situations, and something like this was beyond what she could handle. Maybe if she hid underwater for a minute, the situation up above would pass and nopony would know she was there.

"I can not believe you, Aloe," ranted Rarity. "'High end clientele'? Twilight receives the same spa treatment that you give everypony. Aloe, don't you remember when Twilight didn't know what a hooficure was the first time I took her here? And Lotus, remember how you couldn't stop laughing after Twilight tripped on a chair and fell into the hot tub? Now that she's a princess, you're pretending like she's a completely different pony, perfectly regal and eloquent. And you're speaking as if knowing her makes you more important! Never would I have expected such pretentious talk from the two of you."

Lotus and Aloe blushed and lowered their heads in embarrassment.

"Hmmf!" pouted Rarity as she turned away from them.

Fluttershy emerged from the water.

"Oh my goodness. Is it over yet, Rarity?" she said, catching her breath.

"Come on Fluttershy, we're leaving."

"Oh, okay. I guess I've relaxed enough anyways," said the compliant pegasus.

The two climbed out of the hot tub and put on their bathrobes. Rarity walked briskly past the spa ponies and out to the lobby with her head held high. Fluttershy scuffled after her friend, hiding behind her the best she could, even though she knew it didn't make a difference now.

"Um, Rarity," said Fluttershy, "Where are we going?"

The two discarded their bathrobes on the way out and stepped into the lobby.

"Rarity! Wait," said Lotus as she caught up to them in the lobby.

Rarity turned and looked at her blankly.

"I'm sorry Rarity," said Lotus. "I just got carried away. I don't know what got into me."

"No," said Rarity, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have spoken out like that. It was unladylike of me. And I embarrassed you in front of those ponies."

"Well, we did kinda deserve it," said Aloe, stepping into the room. "We shouldn't have been talking like that about Twilight behind her back."

Fluttershy pawed her hooves on the floor and looked around awkwardly. She could only guess what had happened since she hadn't heard anything that was said back there.

"Promise you won't tell Twilight, Rarity. Please?" said Lotus.

"I promise," said Rarity.

The spa ponies each nuzzled Rarity's neck as a sign of good will between them.

Rarity and Fluttershy then took their leave.

"I'm so sorry about that Fluttershy, I wish I hadn't spoken out like that. But Aloe and Lotus know they acted inappropriately too," said Rarity as the two walked through the Ponyville streets.

"I was under water, so I couldn't..." began Fluttershy, but she was cut off by Rarity.

"I hope you don't judge me too harshly for what I said back there," continued Rarity.

"Oh no, I would nev…"

"I know you're thinking it was about Twilight, but it was about how rude those earth ponies were being," continued Rarity.

"I don't know what…"

"I'm happy for Twilight, really," said Rarity.

"Um, me too?"

"I'm certainly not jealous of her… I just don't see what the big deal is. Why is she getting so much attention? Maybe I wouldn't mind it if Twilight knew the proper way a princess should act… Oh who am I kidding? I am jealous of Twilight. I don't want to be, honestly. I just can't help it! I wish things could just go back to the way they used to be."

"Gosh Rarity, I didn't know you felt that way," said Fluttershy.

"Well, I wish I didn't either," replied Rarity.

The caring look in Fluttershy's eyes showed real concern for her friend. The two ponies walked along, side by side, down Ponyville's main avenue. There were cafés and stores along the street.

"Would you like to get a late lunch?" asked Fluttershy.

"I didn't have a big breakfast, so lunch sounds lovely," replied Rarity.

The two mares walked into a nearby café. The host greeted them and offered them menus. They sat down at a table made from a wooden barrel.

"The daisy sandwich with orange slices looks delicious," commented Rarity.

"I'm just going to have a carrot salad with a side of hay," said Fluttershy.

The two ponies ordered. An uncomfortable silence followed.

"Rarity," began the yellow pegasus pony, "The thing about Twilight is really worrying you. Something's really the matter, isn't it?"

Rarity looked away as her eyes started to water. She wiped her eyes with her hooves and got a hold of herself.

"It's not your fault Rarity. Your chaos element is greed, so you're naturally jealous. When somepony has something that you don't have, it's your natural tendency to want it. Just like a dragon," explained Fluttershy.

"I know, Fluttershy. I know," said Rarity. "But it's not only that. I had the most terrible dream the other night. I was old and ugly, and I couldn't sew anymore."

"Oh that's awful," said Fluttershy.

"It's not Twilight. It's me," said Rarity. "Why am I acting like this? I can't sew without remembering that horrible nightmare. I'm afraid, Fluttershy."

"Afraid of what?"

Fluttershy had so much compassion for her friend that she looked deeply troubled herself.

"Well," continued the unicorn, "I saw Twilight in the dream, and she was still young and beautiful while the rest of us had become old."

"Do you think her life has really been stretched out? Is she immortal like Princess Celestia?" asked the pegasus innocently.

"I don't think any pony knows, other than the princesses."

"Gosh," said Fluttershy sadly, "I never thought about that before. That means one day Twilight will be all alone, or she'll have to make new friends. But it doesn't affect us, does it?"

"No, it doesn't affect us at all," said Rarity. "You're right Fluttershy, it's just a matter of jealousy and nothing more."

"Are you saying you want to be an alicorn princess? That's an unusual thing for ponies to wish for," said Fluttershy.

"No, no, no," said Rarity. "I don't know… It's just that I'm afraid. That's all."

"We all have our weaknesses, Rarity. Sometimes I struggle with being timid and scared of things that shouldn't be scary," confessed Fluttershy.

"Well everypony in the town knows that," thought Rarity, as she acted surprised by what Fluttershy was telling her.

"Fluttershy," said Rarity, "thank you for being so understanding. You're one pony who I can truly talk to."

Fluttershy blushed. She knew that Rarity trusted her more than anypony else. Likewise, Fluttershy felt most comfortable when she was around Rarity. The two ponies knew everything about each other. Even before Twilight had come to Ponyville and they discovered that their fates were intertwined, Fluttershy and Rarity had been best friends. They were inseparable.

Their food arrived and they ate their meals. While they ate, Rarity told Fluttershy about the latest fashion trends, and Fluttershy talked about her new animals. When their plates were cleaned, they paid the bill and departed from the café. In front of Rarity's boutique, the two mares hugged and parted ways in good spirits. Rarity watched her best friend trot off towards her cottage just outside of town in the receding daylight. Rarity entered the boutique and retired for the evening, after an eventful yet relaxing day in Ponyville.