• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 719 Views, 11 Comments

Queen of Equestria - Ponyman14



Life in Equestria returns to normal after the six friends defeat a powerful dragon. But bizarre dreams leave Rarity struggling with new emotions. While trying to come to grips with her feelings, Rarity realizes the ordeal might not be entirely over.

  • ...
3
 11
 719

Chapter 9

"Good morning, 'Tia!" said Luna happily as Princess Celestia walking into the dining room.

"Morning..." responded Princess Celestia, her night cap adorning her head.

"You look tired, sister. Did you not sleep well?"

"No. Couldn't sleep," said Celestia bluntly.

"I have had much on my mind as well, sister. I'd like to share my thoughts with you."

"Of course," said Princess Celestia as she sat down at the table.

"I've been thinking about the unicorn, Rarity," said Luna.

"What about her?"

"Twilight said in her report that Salazar had offered Rarity, among other things, to make her a princess."

"Luna, Salazar told Rarity many things. 'Princess' was one other ruse to convince her to not use her element against him," said Celestia.

"Sister, entertain the thought for a just minute. What if Salazar had not lied to Rarity?"

"Do you mean to say, dearest Luna, that Salazar would actually have dethroned us and made Rarity Equestria's queen in our stead?"

"I am aware that it may seem a bit farfetched," admitted Luna.

"Dragons act purely out of greed. They only care about their own interests, regardless of how it effects others," said Celestia.

"But sister," began Luna, trying to find the right words, "Why is he here? Why do neither treasure nor land interest him? Nothing else has made sense."

"Very well, Luna. Let us say that Salazar wants to place a peasant unicorn on our throne instead. - Of course in complete disregard of how we've ever known dragons to act - I would have one question for you. Why?"

"I... I don't know why," said Luna timidly.

"I'm sorry Luna," continued Celestia, "I must confess, the reason for my lack of sleep was worry over this very matter. Something doesn't feel right. We're missing something. I was certain that Twilight had a major part to play in Salazar's scheme. But the unicorn Rarity now also seems to have a much deeper role to play than we realized."

"Twilight and Rarity..." said Luna, "Or one or the other, perhaps..."

Breakfast came for the sisters, and they sat in silence for a good while, musing over thoughts and ideas while eating.

"You're right, sister," said Luna at last. "Why would Salazar want to put a pony on the throne, if he could just as easily call himself 'king,' as it were? However..."

"What, Luna? Please go on," implored Celestia.

"As Twilight relayed to us, Rarity has acted peculiar ever since Salazar's coming. Rarity will not speak to Twilight. In her nightmares, I've sensed that she is going through an intense inner struggle. These things are somehow all related. I know it," said Luna gravely.

"We must take no chances, Luna," said the sun princess. "Your concern is more than enough reason to investigate the matter further."

"I will have Rarity brought before us and questioned," said Luna.

"No," spoke up Celestia. "There's nothing Rarity would tell us, that she wouldn't also tell Twilight. There's no need to interfere, it might cause a rift in the friendship. Luna, I chose these girls as vessels for the elements. Their friendships are stronger than we know. We will simply have Twilight look into the matter."

"Very well!" stated Luna. The moon princess levitated a quill and parchment towards her.

"I know when something's amiss, sister," explained Luna. "Ask me not to explain it, for I could not. Now, what shall we say?"

"Luna..."

"Aha! I have it," exclaimed Luna, as she began writing.

Twilight Sparkle,

By decree of their royal highnesses, you are hereby ordered to further investigate the possible involvement of the unicorn Rarity in Salazar's inscrutable scheme! Under penalty of...

"Luna!" warned Celestia, as she levitated the parchment away from her sister, "please try to be more endearing, won't you?"
Celestia wrote:

Dearest Twilight,

Luna and I are concerned for your friend, Rarity, as we have reason to believe that she may have more affiliation to Salazar than we had previously thought. There is a real potential that this goes deeper than his attempt to separate Rarity from her friends. Find out why Rarity is acting 'peculiar', as you had said. Try to gain a clear picture of what she's struggling with.

Sincerely,

-Princesses Celestia and Luna

Celestia smiled warmly as she magically sent off the letter. The sisters continued eating their meals. The moon was setting, and Princess Celestia would soon have to raise the sun. To the surprise of the alicorns, a letter materialized above the banquet table. A fast response from Twilight, no doubt.

"I am surprised that Twilight is awake at this hour," stated Luna.

Princess Celestia opened the parchment and began reading.

Dear Princesses Celestia and Luna,

I apologize. I do not feel comfortable carrying out your directives at this time. I am embarrassed to admit that Rarity and I had a very unpleasant argument just last night. After speaking to Salazar, I was anxious and impatient to get answers from her, and I said things that a friend should never say to another friend. I don't think that dialogue between us will do anypony any good right now.

Please understand why I must respectfully decline what you're asking me to do.

Your faithful apprentice,

-Princess Twilight Sparkle

Celestia passed the letter to Luna, who read it.

"This is perhaps the 'rift in the friendship' you were talking about sister," said Luna.

"I don't understand it," said Celestia, "You were right, Luna, this is quite serious."

"Shall we summon the unicorn before us?" asked Luna.

"I have a better idea, Luna. Tonight, let us pay her a surprise visit."

- - - - - - - - - - - - -[]- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rarity stepped through the front door of Ponyville's town hall. It had been decorated inside and out, transforming it into a ballroom for the Ponyville Promenade. Rarity's brand new dress caught the eyes of quite a few ponies, with it's soft blues and white highlights. The dress draped over her tail, and brushed the ground. Her mane was done up in a bun, and sparkled in the light. Sapphire necklace and earrings, and light blue eyeliner, added the final touch to Rarity's outfit. Fluttershy timidly followed Rarity into the room. Her dress of vibrant greens and yellows, which Rarity had made for her, complimented her natural colors, as well as her soft persona. Rarity was known in Ponyville as the town's best dress maker, and she seldom disappointed her reputation.

Rarity ignored the gawking ponies around her and Fluttershy, and scanned the room for Twilight Sparkle.

"I suspect Twilight got caught up with her duties," she said to Fluttershy.

Fluttershy whimpered. Dozens of ponies in the room were staring at her!

"I mean, not that I care about what Twilight does or does not do!" snapped Rarity.

The town hall had been converted into a ballroom. Streamers and ribbons cascaded from the balconies. Everything was well lit. A small group of musicians were playing. Among them was Ponyville resident, Octavia, on cello. Ponies stepped aside as Rarity walked forward into the large room. Fluttershy followed.

"Your dress is absolutely beautiful, Rarity!" said Bon Bon.

"As is yours, dear," smiled Rarity.

"Of course it is! You made it!" said Bon Bon happily.

Ponies began chattering as Rarity posed on the ballroom floor. As ponies stepped back to give Rarity the spotlight, Fluttershy suddenly found herself at the center of attention. Hiding behind her friend didn't do any good.

"Rarity!" she whispered. But Rarity was too caught up in the moment to notice.

"Oh my Celestia! You look beautiful Fluttershy! Your dress really brings out the best of you!" said Lily.

Ponies in the crowd moved forward to get a better look at the two mares. Fluttershy hadn't expected to be the life of the party! She cast one last 'help me' glance at Rarity before scampering off into the crowd. There wasn't much else she could do. Fluttershy was well aware that Rarity and herself were the two prettiest mares in Ponyville. Of course, she had a harder time handling the attention that Rarity seemed to thrive on.

The room was filled with the din of chatter. Pinkie Pie, wearing her Gala Dress from the Grand Galloping Gala years ago, had volunteered herself to refill ponies' glasses from the punch bowl. Stallions and mares in their best outfits talked and flirted with each other.

"Why yes, I did design it myself!" said Rarity. "No, it's not part of a fashion line. It's one of a kind!"

As Rarity was busy socializing, Fluttershy kept her head low and tried to make her way to the side of the room. She liked dressing up, but she didn't realize how many ponies would be here. Why had she let Rarity convince her to come?

"Excuse me. Sorry sir. Pardon me, ma'am," she said as she wove through the crowd.

Finally Fluttershy had made it to safety. Backed up against the wall, she looked around to get her bearings. Rarity was immediately recognizable from the circle of ponies around her, all trying to talk with her. Fluttershy noticed a new pony walk through the front door of the town hall. It was Twilight Sparkle.

"I can't explain my talent for dress making. It's simply innate!" said Rarity to her entourage.

"She's Gorgeous!"

"So regal!"

Rarity smiled and blushed.

"Truly the life of the party!"

"She truly is a princess!"

Rarity responded, "Why yes, I… wait, what?"

She turned to see what had stolen attention away from her. A princess had come into the room. Rarity watched as Twilight Sparkle walked forward, Spike following her. Every pony immediately turned their attention to the princess. Even the musician ponies got distracted and stopped playing. The ponies who had surrounded Rarity also turned their attention to Twilight. Rarity looked on, not sure how to react, as ponies brushed past her to get closer to the princess.

The musicians began playing again. Meanwhile, Fluttershy breathed a sigh of relief as ponies were drawn away from her by Twilight's arrival. Finally, some personal space!

"Pardon me," came a voice from behind Fluttershy.

Fluttershy turned to see local stallion, dressed in a nice tuxedo.

"May I have this dance?" said the earth pony, blushing a bit.

"Okay," whimpered the terrified pegasus.

Twilight cautiously stepped forward into the room as she felt all the attention on her. The din in the room grew louder.

"Excuse me!" said Rarity to nopony in particular.

But Twilight seemed to be the topic of greater interest, and Rarity was ignored.

"Grrr!" said Rarity as she stamped a hoof in annoyance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -[]- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Good evening, princess!" said a well-dressed stallion.

"Good evening to you too, sir," responded Twilight.

Twilight cantered awkwardly as more ponies pushed towards her and all tried to talk to her at once. She wasn't used to this much attention, and not in a crowded place like this.

"Maybe I overdid it with the makeup," said Twilight to Spike. "I didn't mean to attract this much attention."

"Princess Twilight!" shouted one mare. "Who made that amazing dress of yours!"

"Actually, my friend Rarity made it," responded Twilight.

Rarity smiled and held up her head, preparing for attention to return to her. But to her dismay, nopony acknowledged her. Everypony's attention remained fixed on Twilight.

"I love your horseshoes, Twilight," said Lyra.

"Are those earrings diamond?" asked Cheerilee excitedly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -[]- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rarity stamped off.

"Eep!" squeaked Fluttershy as she was suddenly pulled away from her dance partner.

"Hey," said the stallion.

Finding himself without a partner for the waltz, the stallion hung his head and walked off the dance floor.

"It's okay, Rarity. I didn't really want to dance anyways," said Fluttershy. "Is something the matter?"

"Yes! Everything is the matter!" said Rarity as she and Fluttershy walked up to the refreshment table. "Twilight's here. I thought for sure she had duties to attend to."

"But Rarity, I thought you wanted Twilight to come," said Fluttershy worriedly.

"Yes, but that was before our... little argument. Oh Fluttershy, I just don't know how I'm going to get through the night! Of all the things that could happen, this is the worst possible thing!"

"Um, I don't think it's that bad," said Fluttershy.

"How could it be any worse? She's the life of the party!"

"Well, she is wearing that lovely dress you made for her," said Fluttershy.

"No no no, Fluttershy, dear. It's because she's a princess! Oh, you should have seen the way she stole all of my attention! Everypony just crowded around her! And she calls me selfish?"

"But, I don't think she meant…" Fluttershy started to protest.

"I am the element of generosity. I am not selfish!"

"Rarity, I think you're maybe being a tincy tiny bit jealous…" said Fluttershy timidly.

"She simply doesn't have the poise, the charm, the attitude! The only thing regal about her is her gaudy crown!"

"She's, um, also an alicorn," added Fluttershy.

"Hi girls!" said Pinkie Pie. "Wowee! Those dresses will have every stallion from here to Appleloosa turning his head!"

"Why thank you, Pinkie Pie," said Rarity, as she regained her composure, "I was going for an impression of charm and elegance. Not too flashy, and yet not too soft either. The dresses speak 'sexy,' but also has a reserved air about them. Wouldn't you agree?"

"I have no idea what you just said, but yes!" said Pinkie Pie, giggling with glee. "Have some punch, girls," said Pinkie as she prepared some drinks.

"By the way, Pinkie," said Rarity, "You look marvelous as well. I love what you've done with your mane!"

"Thanks! Hey, did you know Twilight's here?"

"Oh… is she?" asked Rarity, glancing across the dance floor behind her.

"Yep. What d'ya say we all go say hi?"

"Pinkie, don't you remember what happened last night?" said Rarity.

"Just because you got in a little fight doesn't mean you're not still friends! Right?"

Rarity pawed at the ground. "Right. I suppose we are still friends," she said unpersuasively.

"You're gonna have to work things out sooner or later, alligator," explained Pinkie Pie. "Twilight feels awful about what she said, and she's waiting for you to talk to her!"

"She… she does? She is?" said Rarity in astonishment.

"Yep! Anyways, here's your punch! Enjoy!" said Pinkie, pushing two cups of punch towards her friends.

"I suppose Twilight had a point. If I were Twilight, I would have been upset with me too. Thank you for the punch, dear," said Rarity as she levitated her cup and turned to explore the rest of the refreshments.

As Fluttershy carefully picked up her cup with her teeth, Pinkie Pie leaned in close.

"I put extra sarsaparilla in yours," Pinkie Pie said deviously. She winked and trotted away.

"Oh… my…" said Fluttershy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -[]- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Twilight!" shouted Pinkie Pie, hopping up and down.

Twilight politely parted ways with the ponies trying to talk to her, and made her way towards her friend.

"Pinkie Pie, am I glad to see you!" said Twilight. "I can't get a break. Everypony's trying to talk to me, even ponies I don't know. This is not at all what I expected. I wish I could just stand unnoticed at the refreshment stand the whole time, like I did last year!"

"Don't be silly! Nopony likes a party-pooper!" giggled Pinkie Pie. "Don't you just love the attention? I know I do… And I love dancing! And streamers, and balloons, and live music, and ice cream! And…"

"Ice cream? They have ice cream?" said Spike excitedly. With a nod from Pinkie Pie the baby dragon waddled off.

"Anyways, where was I?" continued Pinkie. "Oh yea. I also love it when lot's of ponies getting together to mingle and..."

"Princess Twilight! Remember me?" interrupted a stallion.

"Can't a princess get any personal space around here?!" snapped Twilight. "… I mean, please, sir, if you wouldn't mind."

"I'm sorry, Pinkie. I'm just a little on edge. It's just exasperating," explained Twilight.

"I know just how you feel, Twilight!" said Pinkie. "And I'd bet a cupcake that you're also still pretty upset about your fight with Rarity."

"Huh?"

"Even though you and Rarity had a little argument, doesn't mean you're not still friends. Am I right?"

"I guess we are still friends," said Twilight, pawing at the floor.

"Rarity feels awful about last night. She's waiting for you to go talk to her."

"Really?"

"Of course!" lied Pinkie.

"Gosh… You're right, Pinkie. I forgot just how important my friendship with Rarity really is. I got caught up in my… research… and put that before the thing that was really most important, our friendship. No wonder Rarity didn't trust me," admitted Twilight.

"Sounds like a lesson you can write Princess Celestia about!" said Pinkie Pie happily.

"Maybe I will. But first, to apologize to Rarity!" said Twilight.

"Twilight! I love those earrings. Where'd you buy them?" interrupted a mare.

"Canterlot no doubt. Does Princess Celestia have her own jeweler?" said another.

"We've been dying to know all evening! They're gorgeous. And the necklace too," added another.

Pinkie Pie was squeezed out of the new group of mares gathering around Twilight.

"Have fun, Twilight! Bye!" shouted Pinkie Pie.

Twilight shot her friend a 'not amused' glance.

"Remember to talk to you-know-who!" shouted Pinkie.

Twilight was too involved in trying to answer the mares' questions to respond. Pinkie pie pranced away.

"This is going to work great!" thought Pinkie as she bounced across the ballroom. "Rarity and Twilight will make up by the end of the night, or my name isn't Pinkamena Diane Pie!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - -[]- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Rarity. This isn't like you to sit out at a big social function," said Fluttershy, finding her best friend sitting in a chair at the edge of the dance floor.

Rarity sighed, "It doesn't matter."

Fluttershy sat next to her friend. Other ponies stepped side to side on the dance floor, dancing to the music.

"You look awfully sad, Rarity. Are you alright? You're going to talk to Twilight, right? Pinkie said Twilight's sorry and wants to talk."

"Oh Fluttershy. I was so looking forward to the Promenade this year. All the work I put into the dresses and everything… and I'm not having a good time. No, not at all. And yes, I suppose I should talk to Twilight. I'm just trying to collect my thoughts first," responded Rarity. "It's not my fault or Twilight's fault. It's the fault of that stupid dragon. I hate him. I really do."

Fluttershy put a wing around her friend to comfort her.

"It's depressing to sit on the sidelines like this. Let's go out onto the dance floor," suggested Fluttershy.

"You… you want to dance? With other ponies? Fluttershy, I never thought I'd hear you say that! That's wonderful! Very well, let us light up this promenade! We shall be the life of the party once again," Rarity smiled at her friend. "Actually, never mind that. Let's just try to enjoy it!"

At that instant, however, a flash of light just in front of them startled the two ponies. Rarity and Fluttershy embraced each other as a frightened reflex. The figure of Princess Celestia towered above the girls. A flash of blue light came a moment later, revealing Princess Luna. The princesses had stern expressions on their faces.

"Princess, I…" stammered Rarity, "What a lovely evening, is it not?" she said feebly.

"Fluttershy, let go of your friend," ordered Princess Luna.

The frightened pegasus only whimpered softly and held Rarity closer. Princess Celestia lowered her horn towards the two and they were engulfed in an aura of white light.

"I'm sorry, Princess! Please. I didn't mean to do it. It was an accident!" pleaded Rarity.

The two friends disappeared in a flash of light, along with the princesses.

"Did you see that?" said a mare excitedly.

"See what?" said her dance partner.

"Princess Celestia and Luna were just here!"

"I saw them too!" said another pony.

"One princess is exciting enough. Don't make up stories."

Twilight Sparkle, meanwhile, was trying in vain to get away from her entourage. She needed to find Rarity and apologize. Unbeknownst to her, Rarity was no longer at the Promenade.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -[]- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fluttershy and Rarity found themselves in the Ponyville Library. The towering figures of Equestria's monarchs stood above them. Fluttershy hunkered down on the floor, closed her eyes, and whimpered. Rarity took a few steps back and gazed in awe and confusion at the princesses.

"Rarity," came Celestia's stern voice, "we must talk."

"Oh Celestia," thought Rarity, "they've found I was eavesdropping on them in Canterlot! I should have fled! I should have packed up my things and ran away! But where should I have gone, and what should I have packed? Should I have taken Sweetie Belle along to carry my bags?"

Rarity's eyes darted around the room, fearing confrontation with her princess. Celestia stepped forward.

"Wait!" yelled Fluttershy, tears flowing from her eyes. "Don't hurt her! You can't! She didn't mean to do it!"

Princess Celestia turned around in surprise.

"Sweetest Fluttershy," said Luna kindly, as she levitated the pegasus off the floor, "whatever gave you such an impression? Do you not regard us as benevolent rulers? Your fondness of your friend is truly moving, but you need not fret. We only need to ask Rarity some questions."

Fluttershy gently kicked at the air as Luna's words calmed her down.

"Oh my, what a lovely dress!" exclaimed Luna, as she rotated Fluttershy around to examine it. "This brings back such memories… When I was young, there was nothing I loved more than a midnight ball! 'Tia, do you remember that night when…"

"Luna," interrupted Celestia, "please put our subject back on the ground."

"Um, if it's not too much trouble," added Fluttershy, who was now floating upside down.

Princess Luna blushed and complied.

"Rarity," said Celestia, turning to the unicorn, "you have been through a lot lately."

Rarity relaxed a little, and stood up to face Princess Celestia.

"You probably feel afraid, and a little confused. You're struggling with your feelings. And you've even had nightmares, isn't that right?"

Rarity nodded.

"Your friends are worried about you, Rarity."

"But, princess, how do you know all this?" said Rarity.

"We always watch over our subjects," smiled Princess Celestia.

"Isn't she going to admit that she sent Twilight to interrogate me?" thought Rarity.

"We try to help when we can. You're no exception, Rarity. I'm concerned for your friendship with Twilight, and with all your friends for that matter. You, I'm sure, realize how important that friendship is."

"Yes, princess. I know," said Rarity.

"Am I right to assume this all started when Salazar came here?"

Rarity hesitated, and didn't respond. Celestia frowned.

"Rarity, you have to trust Luna and I. We want to help you."

"Don't be shy, Rarity!" said Fluttershy, who was standing next to Luna.

"I'm sorry, princess," said Rarity at last. "Yes, this did start when Salazar came here."

"Do you remember, Rarity, when we spoke on that day? I told you to be careful of the dragon's words."

"Yes, I remember."

"The dragon spoke to you. He presented to you wild dreams of treasure and longevity, and other things."

"Princess, I'm amazed that you know all of this!" lied Rarity, trying to act surprised.

"Listen, Rarity. This is very important. Since that day, has Salazar tried communicating with you?" asked Celestia.

Rarity was again silent.

"Are the nightmares related to Salazar?" asked Princess Celestia.

Fluttershy smiled and nodded at Rarity, trying to encourage her to speak. Rarity looked blankly at Princess Celestia.

"Has the dragon communicated with you?" said Princess Celestia again, growing stern.

"Finally," said Fluttershy quietly, "Now we can get this whole thing worked out."

"No. No the dragon has said nothing to me. Nothing at all since that first day," lied Rarity.

Fluttershy gasped in disbelief. Rarity had just lied to Princess Celestia!

Celestia heard her sister's voice inside her head. "She doesn't trust us. I sense that she is lying," said Luna telepathically.

"Are you sure, my little pony? It's of the utmost importance that you tell us what Salazar said to you."

"I just told you he didn't say anything to me since that first day," snapped Rarity.

Celestia and Luna exchanged uneasy glances.

"What have your bad dreams been about?" asked Princess Luna.

"Nothing of concern. Just a rare night fright every now and then. Happens to everypony, as you would know," responded Rarity.

"I know you are not being honest," said Celestia sharply, "I am more concerned for you now than ever."

Suddenly, Rarity heard Celestia's voice speaking in her head. "You cannot lie to us. What are you hiding, Rarity?"

Rarity looked up at the sun princess.

"I… I am my own mare, And I do not need to be spoken to like this!" said Rarity, raising her voice.

Fluttershy looked away. She could not believe what Rarity was doing.

"I have answered all of your questions, princess. I have been polite, despite being taken away from the promenade, against my will. Which, by the way, I've been looking forward to attending all year long! I have not lied, nor have I hidden anything from you. If you are finished, please let Fluttershy and I go. Or, if you have more questions for me, I will be happy to answer them!"

"Such impertinence!" said Celestia.

"I'm not afraid of you," said Rarity confidently.

"Rarity!" yelled Fluttershy, running up to her friend.

She embraced Rarity, and hugged her as hard as she could, tears streaming from her eyes.

"Why are you doing this?" cried Fluttershy. "Please, just tell them!"

Rarity returned Fluttershy's embrace, but said nothing. Princess Celestia stomped a hoof impatiently on the floor.

"Sister," said Luna, walking up to Celestia, "let us leave them be."

"What does it mean, Luna?" said the flustered sun princess, turning to her sister.

"Clearly she knows something vital to the situation - perhaps vital to the riddle?"

"She does not know the riddle, how could…" Celestia stomped her hoof again in frustration.

Celestia and Luna both turned to Rarity, whom Fluttershy was still holding.

"Fluttershy," demanded Princess Luna, "Tell us what Rarity has not. The dragon has communicated with her. What did he say?"

Fluttershy struggled to speak amidst her tears, as she clung to her friend.

"No. She didn't lie. Everything Rarity said was true!" lied Fluttershy, as she burst out into loud, uncontrollable sobs.

The princesses exchanged glances one last time before going. Their horns sparked and they disappeared in flashes of white and blue light.

Rarity and Fluttershy sat on the library floor for a while, their dresses messy and ruffled.

"I'm sorry, Fluttershy," said Rarity.

"Why did you lie to them? I don't understand," said Fluttershy, clearly very upset. "You promised you would tell the princesses if things didn't work out."

"Things are working out just fine!" retorted Rarity. "I was going to willingly confess everything to them, but instead they demanded that I tell them, just like Twilight did last night!"

"But Rarity! They're our princesses! They're alicorns! They only wanted to help you!" said Fluttershy.

"I don't know anymore Fluttershy. I just don't know," said Rarity apathetically. "And I don't care either. Everything's a mess. I don't know who to trust or what to believe anymore."

After a long time of silence, the ponies got up and left Ponyville Library. The Ponyville Promenade was still going, and they could hear music and laughter from the town hall. Neither pony was in the mood to return to the promenade anymore. They parted ways. Rarity returned to the boutique and fell into an uneasy sleep.