• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 961 Views, 16 Comments

Who is Stars - ff0000



A fun party for the end of the year gets derailed from the arrival of a mysterious present.

  • ...
2
 16
 961

In Tricky Situations

Chapter 1, In Tricky Situations

Getting to Ponyville had been a real disaster for the Great and Powerful Trixie. First off, she was supposed to arrive on New Year's Eve, but her first steps into the village were on the bright and early first day of the new year. It was chilly with a light breeze going weaving through the bare branches. The buildings and gardens of the town were coated with an old layer of snow. While most of the fields were well-worn, with remnants of snowmen and snowball fights, sunlight shined brightly from the smooth white roofs. The roads were clear but damp and filled with dirty puddles.

And now, Trixie missed the event that she was invited to. She was actually pretty excited to come back to Ponyville as a guest. After dropping some hints about having nothing to do for the New Year's Eve, and how wonderful it would be to grace this small town with her awe-inspiring presence, of course Twilight Sparkle would be asked to come over.

The answer really was a no-brainer. Trixie was a stylish blue unicorn with a starry purple cloak and wizard hat. Who wouldn't want her around? Not to mention she was both great and powerful, maybe even magnificent. But life had conspired to delay her. When she wanted to take the train over yesterday, she had forgotten the bits. It only caused her to miss one train, which wouldn't have been a problem if all subsequent trains hadn't been stopped due to bad weather in her area. Hopefully, everypony wouldn't be too disappointed. She had promised them a show, after all.

Ponyville was still looking fancy with colorful decorations everywhere, though all the festivity was drooping a bit. The atmosphere was matched by the ponies trudging around early in the morning. With the celebration passed, everypony was weary from having fun all night. Many of them had returned to work, such as a group of pegasi getting ready to deliver some heavy packages. Trixie drew her lips at how poor of an audience they would be now.

The sound of bells drew Trixie's attention, but it was only someone entering the post office and not any signs of renewed celebration. She couldn't see who it was past the closing door, though mushy clawprints were left in the ground. It was pretty early to go to the post office, but that wasn't any concern of hers.

Maybe her friends would be more open to a wonderful show of magic. Just where were they, anyway? Twilight would most likely be at the library. Twilight, that magic-spewing unicorn-turned-alicorn. Trixie took a deep breath. This was just a friendly visit. No need to bring up past events. She had been in Ponyville enough to know the way to the library. It stood by itself, built into a giant tree with a massive trunk.

Trixie pouted when she saw the state of the place. The exterior was a bit of a mess, and one of the windows had been broken entirely. How could they even think about having such a wild party before the she, The Great and Partying Trixie, arrived?

A lot of noise was coming from inside, and not a bit of it sounded happy. Even though it was somepony else's home, Trixie just strode right on in. She couldn't believe the view in front of her eyes. Nearly matching the frayed exterior, the main room was a mess with books on the ground mixing with the confetti and loose decorations draped everywhere. Unattached balloons had floated off into the ceiling while others were sadly deflated on the ground.

"I didn't take anythin'!" Applejack shouted. She was that peach-toned earth pony that was always wearing the hat. Trixie had to admit a good hat could make a powerful statement.

"I saw you eyeing it!" Rainbow Dash, the aggressive pegasus with a rainbow mane, shot back.

Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were watching the ensuing argument with worried expressions, their eyes moving back and forth depending on who was speaking at the time.

Twilight was standing in between the two of them with hooves stretched out to keep them apart. Fallen books were spread out on the floor by her legs. Her regal wings were also wide in an attempt to look more authoritative.

All that accomplished was making Rainbow Dash swat the hoof away and shift her attention. "Maybe you took it." Her eyes angled downwards.

"It was already here, where could I have taken it to?" Twlight asked.

"I don't know! Maybe somewhere outside." Rainbow Dash whipped her head around, looking for the whatever it is they were speaking about. "Maybe you had Spike take it away."

Twilight let out a gasp. "Spike? Hey, where is he? Spike!" she called out to no response. She did a double take when something caught her eyes. "And what's this?" Her hoof landed on the table in the center of the library. A note was scribbled onto wrinkled parchment.

"I AM stars?" Rainbow Dash read off the sheet. The writing was shaky and messy. Lines trailed off and letters were merged together with strokes going from the end of one to the start of the next. "Did this Stars pony take it?"

Applejack lowered her head, causing the brim of her hat to cover the eyes. "Wouldn't that be Spike? He's usually the one that writes stuff down."

Twilight tilted her head up a bit as a purple glow emanated from her horn. The note floated closer to her squinting eyes. "I can't tell if this is Spike's writing. It doesn't really look like it, though."

"Who is Stars, then?" Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

Trixie has had enough of the going on, talking about something and ignoring her. She reared back, raising her arms up. Then, she came crashing down. When her hooves landed, red sparks flashed and was followed by a loud boom. It vanished just as fast, but it certainly got everypony's attention.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie has finally arrived," she announced. "Now what is going on here?"

Everyone launched into an explanation all at once. It was more of an excuse to continue arguing with each other rather than explaining anything. Fluttershy and Rarity were on the same side, as far as Trixie could tell. They were in a three-way argument with Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Twilight was still more looking for Spike than anything else. That annoying, hyper pink one, Pinkie Pie, was babbling on about donkeys or something.

"Okay, never mind," Trixie said. "It's obvious my presence has stupefied all of you. I don't know why I bothered coming out here, anyway."

Twilight broke away from the group and called out, "Trixie, wait. I'm sorry. We just have a lot on our minds right now."

"Well, explain what's going on then."

"Wait, Trixie is perfect!" Rainbow Dash suddenly spurted out.

"I know," Trixie responded, "but in what, specifically?"

Rainbow Dash flew over and landed between Trixie and the door, boxing her in. "You were supposed to get here yesterday, weren't you? But it's good that you're late. You can sort this out."

"That's right!" Applejack said. "You have no sides in this and can think clearly. I'm just too miffed right now."

Rarity, a fanciful white unicorn, and the only one among them wearing a dress, walked over with full on stomps. "Oh, great. We're going to ask Trixie for help now, are we?"

"It might be a good idea," Fluttershy said in a breathy squeak. She was a meek, yellow pegasus following being the unicorn with light steps that barely made a sound. "We're not getting anywhere on our own."

Without even understanding the full situation, Trixie stood straight and proud. She conjured up a wind so her cloak would flap indoors. "I'll do it! Now, everyone separate."

They all looked at her with confused expressions.

"The great and deductive Trixie knows what she is doing!" Trixie proclaimed with arms spread wide. "I will question you each on the events of the previous day one at a time. That way, you don't have to worry about anypony else butting in."

The six friends mumbled in agreement. They relented to the fact that it was probably the best method.

The loud noise of, "Me first! Me First!" cut through the mumbling. Pinkie Pie hopped up and down from the back of the group with her arms flailing wildly. Her curly hair was almost bouncing as much as she was.

"Okay, annoying pink one," Trixie said, "come with me. As for the rest of you, Twilight, go upstairs, to your room."

"How'd you know that was my room?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, I was looking around in here that time I sort of accidentally kicked you out of Ponyville." Trixie forced the blush off her face and then turned to the others. "Applejack, you wait around back. Rainbow Dash, you wait by the balcony, Rarity, go to that other room. And I guess Fluttershy can stay here. Well, let's move it!" Her hoof clapped against the ground twice.

Trixie let out a silent chuckle through her toothy smile. It was time to put all that knowledge being an assistant for that PI to good use. It was time for The Great and Powerful Trixie to work for the benefit of her friends.