• Published 8th Jan 2014
  • 691 Views, 12 Comments

Rariverse - sjosten



Rarity takes control of my story and becomes the Element of Magic.

  • ...
8
 12
 691

Episode 1: Friendship is Magic Part 1

My little pony, my little pony, ah ah ah ah, my little pony!

I used to wonder what power could be!

My little pony!

Until I rewrote the fundamental laws of time to have it given to me!

Big adventure,

Tons of fun,

And magic… wait, something’s

Faithful and strong,

Sharing, kindness, it’s an easy feat,

And I’m here to make it all complete!

My little pony!

Don’t you know I am your very best friend!

You rewrote the theme?

Yes, do you like it?

It’s kind of… egotistical.

Well, I am the only character in the tags, so shouldn’t it be about me?

You know what? Let’s get to the plot already.

Yes, I’m dying to see what’s happening.

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together, and created harmony for all the land.

What are you doing?

The intro.

No, that was the intro for the first episode.

You thought you could rewrite the universe in front of a fanfic writer without having to actually see how things changed?

Whatever, but skip the intro. I’m going straight to Celestia about this.

Okay, saves me some copy and pasting.

Rarity threw open the doors to Celestia’s chambers and cantered up to the Princess.

“Ah, Rarity, how are you?” Celestia asked.

“Oh, just fine I suppose. Except, I was doing some studying, reading up on tomorrow’s big event, and I came across the old Mare in the Moon legend. After reading through it, I’m reasonably sure that those thousand years are up this year. Very soon.” Rarity said. Celestia’s eyes went wide with shock.

“You… were studying?” She asked.

“Very funny.” Rarity said.

“Thank you. As for the Mare in the Moon, I don’t think we have anything to worry about. After all, it’s just an old pony’s tale.” Celestia said.

“All the same, I would prefer some precautions were taken. Just in case. You know how some ponies get with things like this. If they saw things were running just a bit tighter, it would put their minds at ease.” Rarity said.

“You’re acting very strangely about this Rarity. Are you alright?” Celestia said.

“Oh yes, just trying to get into the spirit for tomorrow. I guess I got carried away.” Rarity said.

“Wonderful. I would hate if you weren’t able to oversee the plans for Canterlot’s celebration this year.” Celestia said.

“Canterlot?” Rarity asked.

“Yes, you didn’t think I would have you stop after three straight years did you?” Celestia said.

“Oh, of course not. I suppose I should be off then. Farewell!” Rarity said, walking out the door.

You think you’re very clever, don’t you?

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Don’t be smug. You’re keeping me in Canterlot to make things harder.

Are you saying that Celestia would legitimately have any reason to send you to the backwoods farming town that she happens to be visiting this year?

You know what, I don’t care. I told you I have plans, I’m going to set them in motion.

Rarity cantered into the music district. She glanced up and down the marble streets until her eyes fell on one house that seemed to be vibrating. She trotted up to the door and knocked. After a few minutes, the door creaked open.

“Hi? Oh, don’t know you. Tavi! One of your boring, annoying friends is here!” The white unicorn behind the door shouted.

“Actually, I’m here for you Ms. Scratch. I’m putting together the Summer Sun Celebration this year, and was hoping you would perform for us.” Rarity said.

“What?” Someone screamed from inside. Moments later, a grey earth pony appeared in the doorway, “Vinyl? For the Celebration? Have you lost your mind?”

“Yeah, even I think that’s crazy.” Vinyl said.

“It is, in a way, but it is incredibly important.” Rarity said.

“And you’re trusting Vinyl with it?” Octavia asked.

“Wait, I know what’s going on.” Vinyl said.

“You appear to be the only one.” Octavia grumbled.

“She’s trying to spite somepony.” Vinyl said.

“And you want Vinyl to perform as vengeance. That’s utterly horrid. It should work fine.” Octavia said.

“Thank you. Now, Ms. Scratch, please come with me. And Ms. Octavia, don’t worry. I have it on good authority that Celestia’s court will be able to make good use of your skills in the near future.” Rarity said.

“Swag. Where we headed?” Vinyl asked.

“To see a friend of mine.” Rarity said.

In a matter of minutes, the duo had made their way to the upper class section of Ponyville, stopping in front of the gates for an enormous mansion.

“Who’s place is this?” Vinyl asked, staring at the enormous house.

“Fancy Pants, the most incredible gentlestallion in Equestria.” Rarity said.

“Awesome. Let’s see him then.” Vinyl said, pressing the doorbell with her hoof. Almost instantaneously, an earth pony colt in a suit arrived at the gate.

“I was unaware we were expecting visitors.” He said, barely glancing at Rarity and Vinyl.

“I am planning tomorrow’s Summer Sun Celebration, and need to see Fancy Pants.” Rarity said.

“You are? Give us one moment to double check.” The colt said, disappearing as quickly as he arrived. Several minutes later, he returned.

“The master will see you now.” He said. The brass gates opened, and Rarity and Vinyl were ushered into the main hall of the mansion. Waiting for them was the lord of the house himself.

“Hello there! It’s Rarity, isn’t it? I’ve heard of you, apprentice to our Celestia. The tabloids enjoy dragging your good name through the mud almost as much as mine.” Fancy Pants said.

“Oh, thank you, I think. On to business though. I know it’s a tad sudden, but I need your help with the celebration tomorrow.” Rarity said.

“Splendid, always love to help damsels in distress.” Fancy Pants said with a chuckle.

“This is going better than I thought it would.” Vinyl said with a grin.

“Ignore her. Fancy Pants, we’ll need to go speak with a few other ponies, then take a train to Ponyville, tonight.” Rarity said.

“Ponyville? Silver Platter, be a friend and fetch the train schedules for our new friends and I?” Fancy Pants asked, prompting his attendant to take his leave.

“Lovely. Now, I am in need of some information. If you are going to Ponyville, who is planning Canterlot’s celebration?” Fancy Pants asked.

“Oh, I… I hadn’t thought of that.” Rarity said.

“I was afraid of that. In that case, allow me to make a proposition. I will lead Canterlot’s affairs in your stead, and my beautiful wife can travel with you, if she wishes.” Fancy Pants said.

“Fleur de Lis? That would be… thank you.” Rarity said.

What are you doing?

Do you realize how many times I asked the same question with no answer last chapter? This is what I like to call karma.

Oh fine, get on with it.

Moments later, Fancy Pants’ attendant arrived, along with Fleur de Lis.

“Silver says that you’re going to Ponyville?” Fleur asked.

“Not me, my dear. Ms. Rarity and I have come to an agreement. I cannot go with her, as I will be managing things here in her place. Instead, we would like to know if you could accompany her.” Fancy Pants said.

“Ponyville… little farming town on the edge of the magic forest?” Fleur asked.

“Magic forest?” Vinyl asked.

“Yes, that’s the one.” Rarity said.

“Silver, isn’t that, actually, never mind, I can tell. How quickly do we leave?” Fleur asked.

“Ten minutes if you want to arrive before Celestia raises the sun.” Fancy Pants said, reading the train schedule.

Ponyfeathers. This is all your fault.

Language! This is an E story.

It doesn’t matter if I swear in Equestrian, the readers are human.

Just tone it down.

You know what, fine. I can still make this work.

Rarity, along with Fleur and Vinyl managed to arrive at the train station exactly seven minutes later. The station was practically empty, so they were able to get their tickets quickly. As they waited, the trio heard a voice behind them arguing with the ticket agent.

“You don’t understand, I need to be out of here now.” The voice said.

“You don’t have any bits, I can’t let you just walk on the train.” The agent said.

“Poor kid.” Vinyl said, head turned so she could watch.

“Here, there must be something we can do.” Fleur said, walking over to the young unicorn mare.

“What’s the matter?” Fleur asked.

“I need to get out of town. Now.” The mare said.

“She has no money.” The ticket agent said.

“Where do you need to go?” Fleur asked.

“Anywhere but here.” The mare said, glancing over her shoulder.

“One ticket to Ponyville.” Fleur said, levitating a hoofful of bits to the ticket agent.

“Here, we could use the company.” Fleur said, levitating the ticket to the young mare.

“Thank you. I don’t know what to say.” She said.

“You’ll have plenty of time to think while we ride. Train’s here.” Vinyl said, jumping from her seat to wait on the loading platform.

“So, you’re all together?” The mare asked.

“Yes, quite the group, aren’t we?” Fleur said, trotting over to Vinyl.

“Then why did you say you needed company?” The mare asked.

“One is lonely, two is company, and three is a crowd. Four though, is a group. I like groups.” Fleur said.

“Seems legit.” Vinyl said as the train arrived. The four quickly filed in, finding an empty cabin.

“You know, you never did tell us your name.” Rarity said.

“Oh, yeah. I’m Lyra.” The unicorn said.

“Lyra, like lyre? Sorry sweetie, this group already has a master musician.” Vinyl said.

“Well, I don’t really play that often anyway.” Lyra said.

“Swag.” Vinyl said.

For a few hours, talk mostly consisted of the weather, and whether bass or acoustic guitars were superior. Then, an Earth Pony fell into the cabin.

“Well fine! I’ll find my own way out west! Rotten jerks.” The stallion shouted to a different cabin.

“Hey, looks like you’re having some issues, and we’d love to help, but get out.” Vinyl said.

“No need to be rude Vinyl.” Rarity said.

“What’s going on?” Lyra asked.

“Rotten varmints kicked me out of my team heading west. MY team. I’m the one who put everything together, and they kick me out at the last minute, just cause I wanted to visit my cousins in Ponyville, and they couldn’t be inconvenienced. They aught a hang as traitors.” The stallion said.

“Don’t you think that’s a bit strong?” Fleur asked.

“No. It’s one thing to mutiny, but I thought they were my friends. You don’t do that to friends.” The stallion said.

“You’re getting off at Ponyville, you said?” Rarity asked, examining the stallion. He was tall, bright yellow with light orange hair, and big green eyes. He was wearing a wide brimmed hat and a dirty leather vest. Rarity recognized him instantly now that she paid a bit of attention. The stallion was unquestionably and unequivocally…

“Yep, name’s Braeburn, darn glad to meet ya. Wish it was under more kindly terms though.” He said, casting a glance across the car to his former cabin, which had now closed its door.

“We just so happen to also be heading to Ponyville. Why don’t you come along?” Rarity said.

“Thank you kindly ma’am.” Braeburn said, taking a seat next to Vinyl.

“This little group of ours is officially not racist!” Vinyl cheered, pumping a hoof into the air.

“What?” Lyra asked.

“We’re no longer all unicorns.” Vinyl said, “And technically, we were even worse before, since we were all white unicorns before you showed up.”

“Goodness, you sound like a magazine article. Fleur de Lis photographed by pegasus: bias against earth ponies, or pity for pegasi?” Fleur groaned.

“I remember that article. Didn’t you have to issue an apology to both earth ponies and pegasi in general?” Rarity asked.

“Yes. Well, technically I hired a lawyer to do it for me. Celestia knows if I wrote it, I would have just ended up saying something that got me in bigger trouble.” Fleur said.

“See, that’s why I’m heading west. No fuss buckets to worry about. Just open plains, apples, and adventure.” Braeburn said.

Conversation quickly turned back to meaningless small talk, until the train arrived at Ponyville.

“Better get off everypony! Celestia’s raising the sun in just under an hour!” The conductor called across the loading platform.

“Braeburn, if it wouldn’t be too much trouble, would you mind accompanying us to the celebration before greeting your cousins?” Rarity asked.

“I guess. Why?” Braeburn asked.

“I just have a feeling we’re going to need you.” Rarity said.

“You mean, to protect us? Rarity, we’re not exactly little fillies. We can handle ourselves.” Vinyl said.

“Oh really?” A voice asked from behind Vinyl, suddenly, a pale blue blur shot toward Vinyl, knocking her to the ground.

“Oh Celestia, somepony help!” Vinyl shouted.

“Relax, somepony’s gonna think you’re in trouble or something.” The mare sitting on Vinyl said. After she had slowed down enough to be visible, it became apparent who she was.

“Fleetfoot?” Rarity practically shouted.

“The one and only. Celestia’s had me tailing you all day. She knew something was weird about you today. So, she sent me to keep an eye on you.” Fleetfoot said.

“Why does Celestia care about you anyway?” Vinyl asked.

“She’s Celestia’s apprentice.” Fleur and Lyra said.

“You know about Celestia’s court, Lyra?” Rarity asked.

“I took political science a little bit back in university. The professor allowed for open book tests, so I thought it was an easy A. I was wrong.” Lyra said.

“Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought woodshop would be my easy elective. Instead, I spent thirty six hours straight carving a bench. It was the best darn bench this world has ever seen.” Vinyl said.

“Well, that’s great. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go watch the sun come up in, what, fifteen or twenty minutes now?” Fleetfoot said, floating over to the town hall.

“Wait, aren’t you supposed to be watching me?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah, but now you and Celestia are in the same town, so there really isn’t any point, is there?” Fleetfoot asked, still floating away.

“C’mon y’all. Might as well watch the sunrise.” Braeburn said.

Okay, timeout, you know where this is heading, right?

It only jumpstarted everything that has been part of my life for the last few years.

This is pretty much your last chance to take the blue pill route. At least, the last chance the readers will allow. They’ll chalk it up to an interesting little adventure where you learned not to mess with the space time continuum, and we can go back.

This is my only chance. You’ve given me a team, I’m going to see how they do.

Alright. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

As the five ponies filed into the crowded town hall, the mayor had already started her speech. It was nothing special, just the standard fare of how they were honored to have the princess in their humble town. Then, with a flourish, the mayor cued for the curtain to be cast aside, revealing the ruler of Equestria. Except, there was nothing there.

Suddenly, all the light in the hall went out, and a fog set in around the room. A thunderbolt struck the spot the princess was supposed to be in, revealing a tall, dark blue alicorn to be standing there.

“Oh, my beloved subjects. It's been so long since I've seen your precious, little sun-loving faces.” The figure said.
“What did you do with our Princess?” A pegasus shouted from nearby, only to be pulled back moments later.
“Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?” The alicorn asked with a chuckle.
“Okay, I don’t want to sound totally stupid, but who is this?” Vinyl asked.
“I haven’t a clue.” Fleur said.
“Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?” The figure asked.
“I did. And I know who you are. You're the Mare in the Moon – Nightmare Moon!” A unicorn shouted from near the front of the crowd.
“Oh, this can’t be good.” Rarity mumbled.
“Well well well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I'm here.” Nightmare Moon said.
The unicorn simply stammered in reply.
Nightmare Moon laughed once more, “Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!”

Author's Note:

Cliffhanger! Goodness, I wonder if Rarity and co. will be able to beat Nightmare Moon? Maybe they'll even learn about friendship while doing it. Ah well, enough sarcasm for one Author's Note.

Putting together Rarity's team was actually rather difficult, especially since I only knew three things from the beginning: Vinyl was going to be in it, Fleur or Fancy Pants was going to be in it, and Rarity would be the Element of Magic. I actually thought of including Lyra a little while after I started writing this chapter, but I was literally pacing my kitchen before I thought of Braeburn and Fleetfoot. Originally, I was going to have Sweetie Belle and maybe Fluttershy join, since they both have relation to Rarity. There's just one problem: Rarity would never let Sweetie Belle actually do anything that the Elements get into, and Rarity no longer has a connection to Fluttershy because of the changes to the past. Plus, who wants to read about four white unicorns, a green unicorn, and a pegasus? So, Vinyl's racism comment is actually a shot at my own original ideas, because self deprecation is funny. Right?

Also, Lyra does, in fact, have a reason for getting out of Canterlot fast, and I will elaborate on it eventually. In fact, I know exactly what episode I'm going to reveal it in. Just, I can't tell you, because it would become rather obvious.

Last thing: guess who is going to take on which element of harmony in the comments. If you guess correctly, you'll win a prize!

The prize is nothing, isn't it?

Dangit Rarity, stay out of my notes! But yes, the prize is nothing. Or, if you would prefer, zero dollars and zero cents.