• Published 26th Apr 2014
  • 539 Views, 1 Comments

Guardian of Fire - googolplex



A bright light suddenly appears in the Everfree forest and gives Twilight an opportunity to learn magic with a whole new perspective. The perspective from a mysterious pony that forgot his own name.

  • ...
 1
 539

Princess Luna's Lullaby

The clouds nestled on Canterlot's mountains, overlooking Equestia in majesty. They sparkled in shades of blue lined with silver as the stars gently twinkled in the background, barely visible through the thinnest clouds, but the moon shone brightly, watching over the world from above. A benevolent specter of the night, it gave light to those stuck in the dark. Atop one cloud stood the true night, watching the castle as the changing of the guard took place, each stallion took his place before the entire Lunar Guard saluted to the Celestial Guard and vice versa, signaling a job well done and a job left to do, before the synchronal change. The clock bell rang, signaling the change, and each party moved like a well-oiled machine all at once without a single misstep or stallion out of place. Each of the Celestial Guard turned toward the main path to the main entrance and the furthest away in every direction marched straight towards it with every next stallion following in succession. The doors opened and once the last of them had made it in, the giant doors closed and it appeared as if nothing had ever happened.

Of all the things in Equestria, this was her favorite. Watching the changing of the guard was like seeing the start of a new day, or night in her case. She always went out of her way to watch just this one event, no matter the occasion, she would watch in awe of the synchronization and fluid motion of an entire military force moving as one body.

"Multis equis, unum regnum" she heard a voice from behind her. She looked at the radiant blue color of the night shining off the silvery coat of a unicorn who had joined her on her cloud.

"Many horses, one nation," she replied. The stallion bowed to her. She gave him an approving nod and he walked towards her, cloud dust dancing off into the air as he softly ran his hooves over the top of the cloud. "My sister was right," she said examining the stallion, "Thou can truly shine day or night." He gave her a silent nod as he took a seat next to her. "This does not mean you have been forgiven," she said. It was snappy, but soft, like friends after a feud, still friends, but not right now.

"I am glad to see I am not the only one struggling with the modern day language," he smiled at her.

"I am not struggling," she sniffed, "It is simply to my own preference. Dost thou still use your large words?"

"Forsooth," he winked and chuckled, "My words are indeed my greatest attribute," he stopped because he began to laugh, "except when the burden of necessity becomes my greatest enemy for then I am at a loss of words." They both began laughing. It was a good laugh that they both needed. Then Luna turned her gaze to the sky, and Silver followed.

"Common language would suit the both of us well, tener frater," she said gazing at the starlit sky.

"As would the elimination of both our previous languages," He turned towards her, "You could start just by calling me by my name you know."

She gave him a menacing look, "I will call thou as I please," she stood, "and for you to be called by the blessing my sister gave you would be an insult to all she did for you." Silver looked disappointed, but understandingly nodded, saddened by her refusal. "As such, thine original name is no substitute so I will call thou Burns until I see fit." He had a dissatisfied expression on his face. "Well it is what you called yourself before you were reminded of your name. Was it not?"

He sighed, "Fair enough," nodded, then stood and looked down at the castle. It looked peaceful, like the beautiful night was supposed to make it look. The moonlight gently kissing the tops of the buildings while wind remained still, allowing the cloud cover to nestle the moon's light while showing a few constellations in the sky.

"Oh," Luna spoke up. "How did you like the ant colony I released on you?"

"So it was you! I knew it!" Silver was shouting. Luna gave an evil smile before nodding. "That was not humorous in the slightest degree."

"Oh, I disagree," she smirked, "though I was not around to see it, I heard from my sister that it was a very good laugh." Silver rolled his eyes, actually giving Luna a smile. Then he looked back down to the castle and took a happy sigh.

"This reminds me of the times before I left, the good times."

"Like when you burned down that forest?" she snickered. He never even looked her way.

"You know what I meant," he stared at a lit room in the castle. A shadow was pacing back and forth. "The times before she did that," he pointed. Luna walked up to see where he was pointing. "You know the night you," she cut him off.

"We will not speak of it," she appeared upset, "We both made mistakes, and we will leave it like that." Again, Silver sighed, then nodded. Luna then turned to him, "I missed you as well," she hugged him, "and I too am glad that you are safe." This reminded him of the times when he was a colt, waking from his nightmares, Luna would always be right there beside him when he woke, comforting him. She would sing to him the most beautiful voice, and when she did, his eyelids would fall closed as if it were only natural. Though Celestia and Luna are sisters, Luna was just like a sister herself to Silver. He began reminiscing over his colt years, looking back over his most cherished memories. It put a smile to his face, he shook his head, still smiling. "What is it?" Seeing him smile, Luna could not help but do it herself.

"I was thinking about the time you sang your lullaby, and I tried to sing along," he chuckled. "I utterly ruined it that time, and I swore never to sing again," he was now laughing at himself.

"It was not that bad I do not think," she smiled, "though your singing did need some work," she nudged him. "You know we have not flown in a while either," she giggled.

"I believe it would be much more difficult considering my size and weight now," he responded. He thought back to when Luna placed him on her back and took him high into the sky. It always made Luna happy to see the young Silver's eyes lit up with excitement seeing the night from above like his maioris. He would look in awe while Luna stood on a cloud, watching to make sure Silver did not try and jump off on his own. He did on one occasion and it took Luna's quick thinking to catch him in time before he hit the ground.

Mother's light is great and all, but this is like seeing an entirely different Equestria, she remembered him saying. His orange eyes lit up every time they went out, and he would constantly beg Luna to take him again, Just one more time, he used to say. The thought put a happy smile on her face, but as he got older, he could no longer be taken up on Luna's back, nor could he fly himself. Celestia asked Starswirl to make a spell especially for the occasion. Starswirl had a number of ideas and only a few of them worked, but Silver learned carefully and copied Starswirl to the "t" and eventually he was cloudwalking with Luna again.

"Sadly you are correct," she almost sounded disappointed. Silver took notice, and thought of something that might brighten her spirits.

"Remember that nimbus spell Starswirl was working on?" he said with a smirk.

"I actually do not remember much of Starswirl, frankly," she replied.

"Well," he held the " l " sound again, "I started working on it a few years back, when a cloud appeared in the Rift, and managed to get the spell to finally work!"

"That sounds great, but what does that have to do with anything?" Luna sounded curious, but doubtful of anything impressive.

"Oh," he sighed, "You know your excitement is quick to pass," he said walking to the other side of the cloud. "I guess that means I should go," Luna turned to watch him as he jumped off the cloud.

"No! WAIT!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. Silver's head popped out of the cloud Luna was standing on.

"Did you need something?" he smirked.

"Not. Funny." she pushed his head back through the cloud. He then rose to Luna's height on the other side of the cloud, standing on a nimbus cloud, or at least a piece of one anyway.

"Sadly I have only mastered basic up, down, left, and right maneuvers, but I hope that now I can have some real practice," he gave Luna his puppy dog eyes and tried to convince her to fly with him.

"Perhaps on another night," she sat back down on her cloud. Silver simply smiled and joined her back on her cloud. Both of them, now looking at the stars, Luna asked, "What was it like in Tartarus?"

"Honestly, horrifying would not even do its justice," he responded. "I spent nearly twenty-five years, completely motionless."

“Why?"

"In Tartarus, your gravity is the burden you bear here," he lifted his hoof to show it was a little crooked. "Broke all my bones a few times just making an attempt to move, luckily my magic was unhindered and I was able to defend myself as well as get food and water, though I would not have lasted much longer if I did not move, so little by little, I got the ground under my hooves and my body above, and I walked, but enough about my adventure. What about the moon?"

"I was not awake to feel the burden," she replied. "My nightmare was being trapped inside a body I no longer had control over."

"You were much stronger than I was from what I saw. Did you two converse much?"

"No, I refused any words to that shadowy demon," she looked away from Silver's face, "except, when I thought I had changed her. Instead, she changed me," she ran her hoof through the cloud.

"Deception is a skill she had a very long time to master," he spoke from experience remembering when he was deceived by both Discord and Pandora. "I, however, gave in and lost all control," he turned his gaze to look down at the pacing shadow. "If not for your actions, I would have burned the entire world to ashes."

"Why do you think so?" Luna saked. "We would have come down to using the Elements of Harmony to do something to help you."

"But I liked the power I had," he looked down in shame. "I loved that release and loss of control. That is how I was conned into being her slave," he laid his head on her shoulder, "but you reminded me that I am me, and becoming a monster was my choice."

"We all make decisions we regret Burns," she stared out into the distance. "All we can do is hope that the ponies affected by our mistakes will be willing to forgive us and move on."

"I remember Lulu."

"Oh, and thou shalt address me as Princess Luna."

"Aw! Seriously?!" Silver lifted his head and saw the smug grin on Luna's face.

"Until I have decidedly forgiven you, you will do as I say as your older sister and your princess."

"As you wish Princess Luna," he bows and sits next to her again. In truth, Luna had forgiven him long ago. She knew blaming him would be like the pot calling the kettle black. However, she felt it necessary for this colt to learn responsibility, though it did seem like he took an awful lot already.

He never disagreed to Luna's requests, though he did show distaste for them sometimes. Earlier that day Luna made him clean her room before she went to bed. She was surprised to find the room completely spotless. Her room was the largest bedroom in the castle. Designed by Celestia herself for only Luna, all of her possessions and things Celestia added in to do her best to make Luna feel like she was home when she returned.

“Why is she so dithery at this time?” Silver asked, staring at the pacing shadow.

“She’s never faced a threat like this,” Luna answered. “He did well to evade our every move until we were forced to use the Elements, and the last time they faced each other-” Luna caught herself thinking about the last chance Sombra was given before the Elements of Harmony were used against him. “I wish it had not come to it.”

“You speak of it as if it were deplorable.”

“Has thou ever been struck by the Elements?”

“No,” Silver looked back down. “You protected me from that fate,” his eyes shuttered. “It would have been favorable in hindsight. I should have been the one imprisoned on the moon. I should have seen it coming. I-“

“And what is with all this ‘I’ nonsense? Hmm?” Luna strikingly protested. “We did not know the effects of your entrapment, and I ended up on the moon because everypony was fooled.” Silver was looking up at Luna, eyes shining with tears welling up that he would not allow himself to cry.

“That is exactly what I meant,” He started pounding his hoof on his head. “I knew these creatures, Princess Luna, and I allowed them to convince my foolish pride that it was for the better and I-”
SLAP

Luna hit Silver with a hard horseshoe to his muzzle. He was caught quite off guard. His eyes widened, he shook his head and dried his eyes. Luna was staring angrily at him. “You’re right,” he said now as he turned his head to the cloud he was sitting on. “Thank you,” he laid his head back on her shoulder. “Why didn’t you ever tell her?” he asked still looking down.

“Your heart was in the right place, you just needed time to sort out a correct course of action.”

“And you decided banishment was the most appropriate option?”

“Honestly, I thought you would protest sooner,” Luna was now looking at the pacing figure. “She needed the both of us, and I thought you would learn something valuable if I forced you away from home.”

“I did,” he stood up and walked to face the moon, “When I saw the eclipse, I finally understood my insignificance.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Luna spoke softly and aggravated.

“And I was not finished,” Silver turned his head. “I rushed to the castle as fast as I could,” he turned his entire body to her, “and four days had passed, I saw my beloved mother, crying her eyes out in your room, her face was as pink as her mane. It then occurred to me that in all my years of magical training, all I learned was how to block and attack. It was all I chose to learn. I did not know how to mend a broken heart, nor did I know how to comfort. All I knew were monsters and evil and this thin line between the two forces of light and darkness.” Luna only grimaced at his words. “I wanted to be just like you and Mother, but I was mortal, and foolish. I ran because at that very moment in your room, I realized I had no idea who I was, or who I wanted to be, and it frightened me.” Silver raised his voice and he pointed to his cutie mark. “I thought this stupid thing meant I was a protector, somepony who could at least protect those he loved no matter what the danger, whether it be physical or emotional! But I failed everypony and managed to hurt them all instead!” Now he was shouting. “WHY?! Because I wanted power because I thought it was the only way to do what was right! You know what I learned? I learned that I failed as a protector, a brother, and a son! This thing was wrong!”

“Then why do you have it?!” Luna shouted back at him. As she rose, she unfolded her wings. Towering Silver, she continued, “My mark has a moon on it, but Celestia knows that I do far more than just raise the moon, just as you did far more than be a shield.”

“But I was never a shield! Just a sword who,” he stopped and lowered his voice, noticing his own tension, “committed crimes against the ponies I swore I would protect.”

“You had no idea your mind was being poisoned by the shadows,” Luna walked towards him, clasping her wing around him. “It could have happened to anypony. Even the best of us can fall.”

“Fantastic pep talk coming from the princess still angry with me,” he said mockingly as he shoved her away.

“Angry, yes. But I am giving you a chance, just as Celestia gave me a chance. However, I gave you your chance long ago as well, and you chose to run instead, like a coward,” she bumped her head onto Silver’s. “We both know you are no coward,” she walked back to her spot on the cloud. “So here’s your real chance. Prove to me you are a protector. Prove that you can be a teacher, a brother, and a good friend.”

“You left out son,” he murmured, looking down at his hooves.

“You do not have to prove that to me,” Luna appeared to be shining while she said that. Silver looked and gave it some thought while she continued. "You will have to tell me why you decided to run however."

"I decided that my punishment was not severe enough, Princess," he laid back down, "Of course, long did I wait to even move several feet from the gates, and at the time I had no idea what was happening. I cried out for help, but only danger came my way. Then something interesting happened," he laughed under his breath, "some outrageous blue-gray pony told me to stop being such a crying foal. I swore I was hallucinating, and I probably was. We all went to his funeral, but there he was clear as crystal and right in the middle of everything, he kicked me," he was now laughing. When he caught his breath, he looked back up to Luna, "Starswirl was always amazingly gifted, but I never would have imagined he would have put it all together for me. That was when I figured out who I wanted to be, and I stood and walked deeper into the Rift, learning the old magic found there. I thought I might be able to turn out the fire. Obviously no such luck, but all that time, everything seemed to pass so quickly, then one day I decided it was time to come back and face my punishment."

"Noble of you," Luna smirked, "But my punishment is the worst thy will receive. Celestia is just happy to have her family back."

"Yeah it's nice th- AAAAAHHHHHHHH," Silver's spell wore off, and he fell through the cloud and was now falling to the ground. Luna quickly jumped off the cloud and dove after him. Faster she flapped her wings to catch up with the falling stallion, and when she did, she realized she could only stall the inevitable. She spread her wings out to gently catch him so they would both fall smoothly to the ground. Silver had another idea however. As soon as they slowed down, he teleported them back on top of the cloud and cast the spell to allow him to cloudwalk again. Luna kind of threw Silver down and then collapsed after letting out a sigh of relief. Silver looked at Luna grinning from ear to ear, crackling and they both began to hysterically laugh.

"You do not have wings you silly stallion," Luna giggled. "Try to keep a closer eye on your spells."

"That would ruin all the fun," Silver smiled back at her.

"I think we need to help you define fun," she said still smiling and coughing out a few more laughs. "So," she began to say after she finally gained her composure, "who do you want to be?"

"I want to be the third light of Equestria," he smiled. "Time permitting."

"Time permitting what?" Luna asked curiously.

"I guess I just want to be given the chance to be looked at just as great as you two are. I am in a bit of a hurry."

"What's the rush, hmm?" Luna thought he might be serious for a moment, then he turned to her and smiled.

"You thought I might mortal again, didn't you?"

"No!" she shoved him. "In any case, thou are most annoying when thou speaks in riddling tongues."

"Coming from that mouthful?" Silver chuckled at Luna. She grimaced and grit her teeth to keep herself from saying anything ill of the stallion, mainly because she did not want him turning her sentences around. Silver changed his attention again to the moving shadow on the window of the castle. "Can you help her?" He asked Luna without taking his eyes off the shadow.

"I can," Luna answered as she walked forward, horn glowing. The moving shadow's pace began to slow.

"No!" Silver protested. "The right way."

"Do you not like the way I cast my sleeping spell?" Luna quickly snapped back.

"Only if you choose not to sing to her." Silver wanted her to sing more for his benefit than the pacing shadow's. Hearing Luna sing to him was like going to a concert for any other normal pony. Except he got to hear the best singing voice in the world, in his opinion.

"I should have known you were going to ask that," she kind of glared at him, yet it was soft, ill-intentioned. She motioned for him to come closer to her. He did and laid down right beside her as she put her left wing over him. It was odd for Silver to be acting like a colt again, but for some reason, it made him feel like he was truly home again. His big sister, putting her wing over him and making him feel safe. He quietly chuckled to himself when the thought crossed his mind, somepony making him feel safe. He had stood down demons, and was never afraid, but this made him feel safer than he had felt in a long time. With his head down, Silver waited patiently for song to come. Luna had to remember her old lullaby, and when it came to mind, she took in a breath.

Don't be afraid
I am right here
The darkness will fade
And so will your fears

The nightmare is gone and you're safe and sound
Somepony is watching and she has you now

Don't worry dear child
The danger is gone
Wipe away your tears
And close your eyes until dawn

Sleep little pony, rest your little head
No one can hurt you here safe in your bed

To all your scares say adieu
There is nothing to fear
The moon will watch over you
I'll always be near

So sleep little pony, rest your tired head
You are safe now, my dear, there's nothing to dread
Sweet dreams, till the morning
I'll still be here, adoring
My little one who sleeps soundly in bed.

SNORE
Silver, had fallen asleep at Luna's hooves; as had the pacing shadow, who's figure now could be seen laying down, peacefully motionless. Sleeping her troubles away.

"Good night, sister," Luna whispered.


Twilight woke up all alone, darkness all around her. She could barely make out her own hooves. Wait when did I go to sleep? She thought to herself. She remembered a party, and then nothing. Now she was alone in this dark-

"Hahahaha!" A hideous voice laughed in the distance and it felt as though the voice itself ripped into Twilight's heart.

"Who's there?" She asked, only to be followed by more laughter, more like a maniacal giggle this time. Slowly, light began to appear from behind. It was easy to notice in the dark, and Twilight quickly ran towards it. As she got closer, she felt an intense heat, and she knew what the light was. She stopped, but the fire came to her instead, and soon she was surrounded by brightly colored flames. Off in the distance she could see a shadowy figure walking through the fire, a stallion, blue fire gushing from his body and his eyes glowing. Her first thought was to run to him. "Silver!" Twilight called out. The figure kept walking. "Silver," she called out again, "where are we?" As she closed in, the figure stopped and slammed his hoof down. It made a thunderous sound, and the figure faced Twilight and opened his mouth, from it came a blood curdling scream and the fire on his body turned from blue to pink and purple, all of the fire mirrored him, and this shadow Twilight could now see was not a shadow, but a jet black stallion with his sights set squarely on Twilight.

Quickly she turned to run but as soon as she turned around he was already there to meet her. He had orange dragon's eyes and he was smiling rather deviously. Even his teeth were dragon-like. It was all too familiar of a sight, one that left Twilight stone cold in her tracks. Twilight could do nothing but stand still as a statue, paralyzed with fear as the stallion reared back, another bone chilling roar came from him. He was going to stomp down on Twilight and she just watched as his hooves came down on her.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH," She awoke screaming, Spike was holding her hoof.

"Twilight! You were tossing and then you were yelling and then you woke up and I was so scared," Spike said trying not to whimper.

"I- I'm fine Spike, th-thank you," Twilight said shakily. She looked out her window. It was late morning. Frost had built up on the window sill. "Oh! I need to get packed for Canterlot!" Twilight quickly hopped out of bed, and as quickly as she leaped out of bed, she soon found herself dizzy and fell to the floor.

"Twilight!" Spike stood in front of Twilight, picking up her head, trying get her to stand. Twilight opened her eyes and groaned and put her hoof to her head.

"Got up way too quickly is all Spike," she said reassuringly. A few hours passed and Twilight was now completely ready to go. Her friends were due to show up any moment and she wanted to make sure she was completely ready to spend the rest of her last day in Ponyville with them.

"Oh Spike," she asks, "what am I going to do?" Twilight has been worried the entire weekend about leaving her friends behind. Thoughts that she may never see them again crossed her mind as the last couple of days progressed. Spike always did his best to reassure Twilight that she is not leaving her friends forever.

"Twilight your friends are your friends for a reason, and leaving for a while isn't going to change the fact that you guys are still friends," Spike smiled and pat Twilight's side. Twilight was still shaking from the thought even though Spike was doing his best to make her feel better. Spike had been invited back to Canterlot with Twilight though he could not be with her during her lessons, but that was normal and expected since he did not attend Celestia's private lessons for Twilight. Spike did feel an urge to stay however. He felt that it might be best to take care of the library while Twilight was gone. Twilight had since convinced him to go along with her because she felt that she needed at least one familiar face with her in Canterlot.

Suddenly the library door flew open. Pinkie Pie stood in the doorway with tears in her eyes. "Twilight!" she shouted. "I know you're not gonna be gone forever but I don't want you to go now!" She bolted for Twilight and gave her a bone crushing hug.

"Pinkie," Twilight gasped for air, "I can't breathe."

"Oh, sorry," Pinkie giggled. "I'm better now." Twilight could not help but to smile and she then proceeded to hug Pinkie back.

"I'm going to miss you too Pinkie Pie," Twilight let go of Pinkie. "But you know, when I get back someone is going to need to plan a big party to get me back into Ponyville." Pinkie's eyes brightened and gleamed when Twilight told her that.

"Well you can count on me!" She shouted happily.

"Where's everypony else?" Twilight asked curiously looking around Pinkie Pie to see if they were hanging around the door. Nopony was there after all.

"Oh I don't know where everypony is. I decided I wanted to get here early as possible so I could spend as much time with you as I could," Pinkie Pie said with a grin on her face. "Hey did you like the book I gave you?"

Twilight hesitated for a moment when the thoughts of the fire came to her mind, but she put on a straight face and said, "Yes Pinkie it's very helpful and I think it might be the most interesting book I've read so far." Twilight kind of put on a half-baked smile.

"I knew you'd love it!" Pinkie shouted. Then a knock came at the door. Twilight rushed to it thinking it might be one or all of the rest of her friends. She quickly opened it to find somepony else, however. Not that it was bad, it just did not come to mind that Zecora would show up.

"Twilight Sparkle are you busy?" She asked. Twilight shook her head. Zecora reached for a bottle inside her saddlebag and allowed Twilight to pick it up with her magic.

"What is it?" Twilight asked.

"I brought this in case you get dizzy. It comes from a fruit bearing a rind, and it will help to ease your mind."

"Thank you Zecora," Twilight said putting the glass bottle into her own saddlebags. "Would you like to come in for some tea."

"As much as I would, I must go, I have a meeting with a crow. I just dropped by to give you this glass, in hopes that it might help you with your class."

"Wait," Twilight said with an odd confused look on her face. "A crow?"

"Yes, we must discuss some things, on how he would like to fix his wing. He broke it one day flying through the woods, and not paying attention he flew where a tree stood."

"Sounds painful!" Pinkie Pie shouted from the back. Twilight nodded in agreement.

"Well I hope you can make the crow feel better," Twilight said. With that, Zecora left and Pinkie and Twilight were back to conversing while Spike fed Owlicious.


"Get up!" a voice called. It was Shining Armor. Silver quickly raised up and looked around. He was not in his room, but that was not important. The important part was that Shining Armor looked worried. "He's made his first move," he said. It sounded as though he were accusing Silver.

"Already?" Silver was surprised to hear that Sombra had made his move so quickly.

"He took a scout troop and they made a second attempt for the Crystal Empire," Shining Armor continued. "We stopped him but he got so close to the empire's outer bounds."

"You are sure that he was in command? This was not another projection?" Silver asked.

"No, I am not, but I am not willing to endanger my wife's safety over whether or not I am sure of something!" Shining Armor yelled at Silver.

"Calm yourself," Silver said in a comforting tone.

"How can I be calm in a time like this?" Shining Armor asked demanding an answer.

"We have your sister who could very well be the key to all of this," Silver replied with a smile.

"So you're going to put my little sister in to battle?!" Shining Armor pushed Silver, and Silver fell over.

"Like I said, calm yourself. I will not be putting Princess Twilight Sparkle into any danger," Silver said putting a heavy emphasis on her name. "She will more than likely not be battling at all." Shining Armor let out a relieved sigh. "However," Silver stepped forward, "I am preparing her for the likelihood of a battle in case she might be in the need to defend herself."

"I can accept that," Shining Armor responded a bit heavy-hearted. "I'm leaving later to the Crystal Empire to make sure that everyone is safe. I expect that when I return, my Twilight will be able to take down Sombra if the chance came by," Shining Armor left for the door. Silver followed him.

"I am departing soon to take her back here," Silver said while walking behind Shining Armor. "Would you care to join me, or would you rather be with your wife?"

"I can go if that's what you're asking."

"Fantastic! Let us leave for the train!" Silver shouted happily.

"You can just teleport us there can't you?"

"I can, but I would like to take the train," Silver answered. "It will give Princess Twilight time to say her farewells to her friends. I imagine she will deeply miss them while here." Shining Armor simply shook his head and they both turned to the door. Silver finally realized where he was. It was Princess Celestia's room. She was out most likely conducting business with other countries in hopes of gaining knowledge on their new foes. Silver thought for a moment as last night came to mind. He smiled and whispered Thank you Luna under his breath.


A knock at the library door had Twilight springing toward it like a cat chasing a mouse. When she opened it, she saw Applejack standing, smiling. "Hey Sugar," she said happily. "Wanna come down to the farm and grab some lunch?"

"That sounds great!"Twilight quickly nodded and Pinkie Pie followed her out the door. Spike stayed behind to "finish cleaning the library". In truth he was worn out from Twilight's constant OCD organization of the library and he wanted a nap. Of course he was not about to tell Twilight that because he wanted to make sure that Twilight left no regrets when leaving Ponyville for a while. So, as the door closed Spike waited patiently to see if Twilight was going to come bursting back through the door thinking that she had to take another look to make sure the library was in perfect condition as always when she left. When she did not return, Spike bolted for the stairs and his little cozy bed calling his name.

"So you ready to go?" Applejack asked. Twilight was hesitant to answer.

"I'm really nervous about going back," she said. "I know I'm just probably overreacting, but I just feel like if I leave, you guys will just forget about me."

"Forget you?!" Pinkie shouted. "You're a princess Twilight! Not mention we got to do tons of fun stuff together!" Pinkie always seemed to be happily shouting about anything when she was talking about her friends and it always had a positive effect on her friends and others around her. One could almost say that she was Ponyville's own personal smile. Just as it had done so many times before, it made Twilight smile.

"Pinkie Pie is right, Twi," Applejack followed up. "You're the one that brought all of us together, and we've gone on so many adventures together," Applejack nudged Twilight, "I doubt it be easy to forget any of that."

"Thanks you two," Twilight said smiling. "If I get to come back sometime, I'll be sure to get here as soon as I can just so I can spend as much time with you guys as I can."

"Aw shucks Twi," Applejack giggled, "you know we'd do the same for you too so don't be too surprised if we just happen to be in Canterlot visiting you one day." She winked at Twilight. They made it to Sweet Apple acres with no distractions other than each other's voices as they began to recall times they shared. The three were happily greeted by Granny Smith and Applebloom. Big Mac was on his way from the western orchards finishing up his morning chores.

When Twilight entered the Apple family house, she was greeted by three other smiling faces, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity sitting at the dinner table, which had just been set. All of the famous Apple family apple themed dishes were out. Apple fritters, apple crisps, caramel apples, there was so much food; and Twilight's favorite of the bunch, the apple cider. She took a seat next to Rarity and they all waited for Big Mac to come in. It was not long until he showed up, food was a heavy motivator to come on home for Big Mac. Now everyone was ready to eat.

Hours seemed to pass like minutes. Twilight was having such a good time reminiscing over the adventures they had, from Nightmare Moon to Discord to ultimately giving up their Elements of Harmony to the Tree of Harmony. Twilight recalled several other moments of her friends that made her smile when she thought about it. Applejack's triumph over the Flim-Flam Brothers, Rarity's fashion shows, Rainbow Dash's famous sonic rainboom, Fluttershy's moment in fame when she was a fashion model, Pinkie Pie's, well it it Pinkie Pie. Twilight would have to lose her memory in order to forget Pinkie Pie. All together, it was a day that she needed and never realized she needed. It was calm, and nothing could go too wrong for her normal standard. All in all, it was a great day, but like all great days, it will come to an end, and Twilight still had to get home to her library and finish getting ready to leave. So she began her goodbyes.

"Hey, before we all head out we have some gifts for ya in case you get lonely or wanna feel nostalgic," Applejack announced.

"Again?" Twilight half smiled half grimaced.

"Here. So you know I'm still going to be the best flyer around." Rainbow Dash gave Twilight a small figurine that had Rainbow Dash's likeness with a Wonderbolt uniform.

Twilight took only a quick look at it before Pinkie Pie pushed Rainbow Dash out of the way and shouted, "Me next! I know I already gave you the book, but I figured I'd give you my patented Mini Party Cannon, just to make sure you get plenty of smiles!"

"I got you this picture of all of us." Fluttershy gave Twilight a framed picture with all of their cutie marks on the wooden frame.

"And this is mine," Applejack smiled as she pulled out a golden apple. "It's been my good luck charm for years now, and I hope you get good luck as much as I do."

"Here's mine deary, I've left mine open for you so you can take all of them with you comfortably," Rarity expressed happily using her magic to show Twilight a set of saddlebags that she had made. "Now I know it's not my usual type of work but I wanted to make something creative that you could use all the time." It was just like her old saddlebags, with her cutie mark on it and everything. Except, it had now been accompanied by five other cutie marks, her friends' cutie marks which surrounded Twilight's at the bottom. It almost looked like a smile. There were also beautifully indescribable embroidery designs. "You do like it, don't you?" Rarity asked. Twilight, however was a loss of words, she had nothing to give and yet here her five friends were giving her presents to remember them by. She felt terrible about it, and almost wanted to cry. "You don't like it do you? I knew I should have gone with the red dress." Rarity stamped disappointed in herself.

"No I love it. I love them all." Twilight exclaimed, "It's just," she looked down, disappointed with herself. "I didn't think to bring anything for you guys to remember me by."

"Twilight you got it all wrong!" Rainbow Dash shouted.

"Rainbow's right," Applejack continued for her. "We made these gifts so that while you're up there in that fancy castle learnin' fancy new spells, you can't forget us." Twilight looked around at her friends agreeing with Applejack.

"You're the one who brought us all together," Fluttershy quietly expressed.

"We had lots of fun together!" Pinkie Pie enthusiastically shouted.

"And we'll always be grateful for that," Rarity smiled as she used her magic to collect everypony's gifts and put them into Twilight's new saddlebag and put the bag on Twilight's back. Twilight's mood had shifted vigorously now that she knew her friends were not going to be disappointed in her. She smiled and hugged everypony.

"How could I forget you guys?" Twilight happily hugged each of her friends.

"Not to mention my gift is way more awesome than any pony else's," Rainbow Dash huffed with pride in her gift.

"Thank you all so much," she said. "I promise that I'll-" there was knock at the door. Applejack opened the door to find two very familiar unicorns standing in the doorway with a nervous Spike behind the two of them. It was Shining Armor and Silver Radiance.

"Come on in y'all," Applejack happily let them all in. Shining Armor was carrying Twilight's other saddlebags that were stuffed plum full of things she did not remember packing. Probably her brother's doing, trying to make sure she really does have everything. Twilight, while surprised the two were there, she was more surprised that anything else could actually fit in her old saddlebags.

"What are you two doing here?" Twilight asked curiously.

"Do you not remember when I said I would be back to pick you up?" Silver asked. "Your brother came along to help and to see you again while he's here."

"And also to make sure he's not trying anything funny," Shining Armor shoved his way forward. "Are you all ready to go?"

"Well considering you have all my stuff," Twilight sarcastically asserted, "I guess so." She knew she had to go, but she was still not ready to leave her friends for who knows how long.

"Come now," Silver spoke, "It's nearly five, you have your first lesson at four."

"Well that's a whole day away," Pinkie said.

"In the morning," Silver reiterated. "It's important that you get your rest when you can Princess, and I imagine it might take a while to get settled back into your old room in the castle."

"You know about that?" Twilight was strikingly surprised that he knew so much about Twilight so quickly.

"Frankly if I could ever get Princess Celestia to stop talking about you, I have no clue what she might actually talk about," Silver replied. "Now, we must go."

"Hey, watch your tone," Shining Armor scoffed.

"Or what?" Silver challenged.

"Or I'm going to be angry at you both," Twilight interrupted them. "Now everypony get along so we can go." Twilight gave everypony one last hug before they departed. "I'm going to miss you all so much," she said wiping a tear from her eye. "I promise I will be back as soon as I can." And with that, Silver's horn lit up, and he, Twilight, Shining Armor, and Spike all disappeared in a flash of light.

They all teleported to Twilight's room in the castle, of course everyone except Silver was a little dizzy so no one actually noticed for a moment. Silver was used to the drain by now and was not very affected by its drain, however with the addition of Shining Armor, he needed considerably more magic than when he even teleported Twilight and Spike to that forest outside of Equestria. When Twilight finally recovered, she noticed everything was where she had left it. Every book down to every last quill in their designated spaces and holders. Twilight immediately began unpacking by taking her saddlebag off of Shining Armor and putting everything in its new proper place. New quills by the old quills on the desk by the window. Her bookshelf still had a few places for the books she took along, and Zecora's potion to help ease Twilight's mind if she ever felt stressed. She had no idea where to put it, so she set it on the desk to later have a place. She already knew where to put her new belongings. They would be right next to her before she went to be so she knew that she could remember her friends every night.

"Is everyone alright?" Silver asked.

"Fine." Shining Armor answered. "Hey look next time warn me when you're going to do that."

"Whatever you say Captain," Silver mocked. "In any case you're going home the same way. So when you are ready come find me."

"I'm staying a few days," Shining Armor replied. "Cadence suggested I stay and make some preparations with the guard."

"In which case, I have some other business to attend to."

"Like what?" Twilight asked.

"A surprise for tomorrow's lesson," and with that, he left through the door. He walked through the corridors to look for Celestia. He wanted to make sure that his surprise actually worked so he was going to ask Princess Celestia a very important question. One that might leave her a bit dumbfounded, but she might let him do it. After all, he is her son. That and there was something else that troubled him. The train ride. It took nearly the whole day to get to the Ponyville Station, much longer than he remembered it being when he was on it for the first time with Twilight.

When Silver found Celestia, she was signing and overlooking papers. They looked to be official diplomatic works, but it was hard to tell what they said since Silver was on the other side of the paper. The sun was finally beginning its decent upon the horizon as its bottom reached the hill that Silver could see outside the window. A fireplace was lit up behind Celestia, and its golden glow stretched out through this smaller room. It was Celestia's work study, the room that they met again for the first time. And just like the last time, she knew exactly when Silver had arrived.

"Interesting day?" She asked without even looking up.

"Yes indeed," he replied. "I had quite the adventure on the train today." Slowly he walked to Celestia's desk.

"Not enjoy yourself on your second train ride?" she asked curiously. Silver shook his head.

"I found something rather interesting today on that train," he said as he sat down in front of the desk. "It took nearly five hours to arrive in Ponyville, and we were headed downhill unlike the trip here, obviously."

"Yes," she said in a questioning tone, "what is your point?"

"The point is Twilight was asking questions about my past, and I chose to show her a couple of minutes of my younger life with the memory share spell, which took the entire train ride to wear off."

"Oh," she said with a smile. "Getting a little rusty in your magic I see." Celestia giggled, but Silver seemed unphased.

"Mother," he said trying to keep his calm, "what are you hiding from her?"

"I would not hide anything from my most faithful student," she said backing away from the question.

"It seems something was being hidden from her," Silver accusingly stated, "and you and Luna are the only ones I know that she knows who can use that spell."

"And what if it was just the linger effect?" She was quick to get back.

"Would it have lasted that long?"

"It has been known to last for long periods before, my son, because sometimes one can find the truth hard to see, and harder to reveal," Celestia wisely chose her words.

"So you believe it was my hesitation?" he asked. Celestia nodded and looked to the window which reminded Silver of his next question.

"Do you mind if I borrow that tomorrow?" he asked pointing out the window.

Author's Note:

Tener Frater: younger brother
mairois: older sister

Lullaby of the Moon concept by Laiowen: Thanks!! ^_^