• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 531 Views, 10 Comments

Old Magic - HyperBlossom7



A young unicorn moves from Scoltland to Ponyville in hopes to practice the old ways of magic of her native land, and discovers something that sends her on a quest in her own past.

  • ...
4
 10
 531

Welcome to Ponyville!

Author's Note:

Hello! If this story looks familiar, it's because it is. I've revised it and resubmitted it to give readers a fresh look into this story. If you read one of my more recent blog posts, you'll see that I've decided to make this another story with a major plotline. I hope you enjoy!

The train's whistle blew loudly, waking Melody from her nap. She yawned and rubbed her eye with a hoof. She peeked outside and saw a train station coming into view. Melody blinked, and then smiled. The train was just arriving at Ponyville. She could finally begin her new life.

24 hours ago, Melody had been in the living room of her parents' home in Scoltland. She had just announced that she was leaving Scoltland and going to Amareica to begin her new life. Now she was waiting for her parents' response to this announcement. She knew they would have to consider the fact that she was of the age where she could travel on her own. She was no longer a little filly, and she knew how to take care of herself.

Her father studied his daughter's expression carefully. Key Note could clearly tell that she was determined to go through with this. He could see it in her dark eyes. Melody had always been a stubborn mare. She had also matured a lot over the past few years, proving herself to be a responsible unicorn. Key Note looked towards his wife, hoping to get her opinion.

His wife caught his gaze and nodded. "Melody, your father and I only want what is best for you. If this is what you want, then we respect your decision," said Dawn. "However, as your mother, I want to make sure you know what you intend to do when you arrive. Where will you be staying? And will you have a job?"

"Yes mum, I will," Melody said. "As you know, I have a pen pal named Pinkie Pie who lives in Ponyville. She's offered to let me stay at her place, and I can work as an assistant at her bakery."

Dawn nodded, liking the sound of this. She looked to Key Note, who said, "You sound like you have a plan."

"You will write to us, won't you dear?" Dawn asked, concern on her face.

"Of course I will mum!" said Melody with a smile.

Dawn's expression softened at that. She was proud of her daughter. There was one other matter that still concerned her, and Melody knew it too.

"Who knows, maybe I'll get my cutie mark while I'm in Ponyville," said Melody hopefully.

Melody sighed as she remembered the last bit of the conversation. She looked towards her coral colored flank. There, on her rear, was a blank spot where her cutie mark should have been. There was a certain fear in her heart that she would be judged about being a full grown mare with no cutie mark. Melody shook her head, she didn't need to be thinking about this right now. Pinkie Pie was going to meet her at the train station, and Melody didn't want her pen pal to see her with a frown on her face.

Melody straightened her self out, having slept for several hours in the same spot. She stretched out her joints, which had been still and unmoving for a long time. She worked out a kink in her shoulder, and then heard the train whistle, letting her know it was nearly time to get off. She aimed her horn towards the two suitcases she had with her and levitated them up into the air. Once the train had stopped moving, she carried her bags off the train with her. Melody took a deep breath, taking in the air around her. It wasn't exactly Scoltland, but the air was still almost as fresh. She looked around, hoping to catch sight of her pen pal, Pinkie Pie.

Suddenly Melody was barreled over by a mass of pink, knocking both of them to the ground. She giggled, recognizing Pinkie Pie's face from the pictures she had sent her. Her personality also matched the way she wrote her letters. This was definitely her friend Pinkie Pie.

"I'm so happy you're here, Melody!" Pinkie Pie squealed excitedly. Pinkie Pie pushed herself off of Melody and helped her pen pal up to her hooves. "We're going to have so much fun! Oh my gosh I'm so excited! Come on, I'll show you around!"

Melody chuckled and said, "That sounds great Pinkie Pie, but I want to put my bags away in my room before we do a tour of Ponyville." She gestured to her two suitcases.

"Oh of course!" Pinkie Pie scooped up her bags and balanced them on her back. "I got them! We're going to be the best roomies ever!"

Melody giggled again. Pinkie Pie sure was energetic, that much she could tell. She definitely liked the pink mare's enthusiasm. Pinkie Pie beamed at her and led her into Ponyville. Pinkie Pie had told her Ponyville was mainly an earth pony town, which was true for the most part. However she did see one or two unicorns, and a few pegasi flying around. Melody was also surprised at how friendly everypony was in the town. She hardly saw any ponies with grumpy expressions or dour auras emanating from them. Melody noticed she was lagging behind a bit and picked up her pace to catch up with her pink friend.

They went to Sugar Cube Corner and Melody was greeted by the smells of many sweets. She felt her own mouth start watering and swallowed. Everything smelled really good, and she could tell the smells lived up to the bakery's name. Pinkie Pie led her into where her room was. There was a new bed set up just for her. Melody put her bags on the bed and turned to her friend Pinkie Pie.

However Pinkie Pie had left the room. Melody was surprised at how fast the pink mare was, since she had only just seen her a few seconds ago. Frowning, Melody walked out of the room and went down the stairs. She walked into the shop and Pinkie Pie appeared with a batch of cupcakes.

"Surprise!" Pinkie Pie said with a grin. "You can't leave Sugar Cube Corner without having something sweet to eat, so have a cupcake!"

Melody smiled gratefully and used her magic to levitate a cupcake up and to her mouth. She took a bite and chewed, tasting the texture of the icing and cake. She swallowed and licked her lips. It was really good, a vanilla cupcake with strawberry flavored icing.

"This is great, Pinkie Pie!" she said with a smile, eating the rest of the cupcake.

Pinkie Pie giggled happily and set the batch down on the counter. She bounced back over to Melody and asked, "Can we go tour Ponyville now? Please?"

"Yes, we can!" said Melody. Then she remembered her flank and said, "Oh, um Pinkie Pie? Can I ask you something? Um did you tell anypony about the fact that I don't have my cutie mark?"

"Well, I only told the ponies who knew you were coming today. And that's only five other ponies. Don't worry, they won't say anything," said Pinkie Pie. "I told them not to."

Melody smiled, relieved to hear that. "Thank you Pinkie. We can go now if you'd like."

"Right!" Pinkie Pie saluted her and turned on her hind hooves as if she were a soldier. "Forward, march!"

Then she giggled and trotted out of the shop. Melody laughed with her and followed her outside. She looked around from where they currently were. There were all three types of ponies here, to her surprise. Mostly unicorns and pegasi lived in Scoltland, and she didn't know many earth ponies aside from Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie Pie nudged Melody, getting her attention again. Melody let her lead the way down the street. First they came to Ponyville's Library, where Princess Twilight Sparkle made her residence. Melody knew this from the letters she had received from Pinkie Pie, and now she faced a dilemma. Would the Princess let her go into the Library and read books or would she have to have special permission? What if Twilight wasn't as nice as Pinkie Pie said she was and forbade her from entering the Library? No of course not, she told herself. That would be silly.

Pinkie Pie did not notice this as she just went to the door and knocked on it. A few moments later the door opened and a young dragon appeared.

"Woah! So this is Spike!" Melody had heard about him in Pinkie's letters, but she had wanted to see him in pony. Thoughts of the Library and the Princess forgotten, she went to the baby dragon and smiled. "Hello! My name is Melody! Dragons are really rare, and legendary where I come from! You're even cooler than I thought you would be!"

Spike had already been notified by Twilight Sparkle that Pinkie Pie would be bringing a new friend over soon. He hadn't expected this kind of praise however. He blushed and smiled at the unicorn in front of him.

"Thank you, Melody," he said. "We can talk later if you want, I'm a little busy right now though. Did you want to meet Twilight?"

"Yes, I did," said Melody, remembering where she was now. She felt a little nervous, having never met any of the princesses before. Yes Pinkie Pie had told her Twilight Sparkle was a newer princess, but still a princess all the same.

The Princess of Magic appeared behind Spike and smiled. "Hello Pinkie Pie! And you must be Melody, Pinkie's pen pal from Scoltland."

"Y-yes your majesty!" Melody spluttered, backing up and bowing to her. She was surprised to see a blush form on the princess's face.

"Please, you can just call me Twilight Sparkle," she said reassuringly. "Pinkie Pie told me you're very fond of reading. Is that right?"

Melody nodded. "Yes your-I mean, Twilight."

Twilight smiled and said, "You're welcome here any time. I don't get to meet very many ponies with a love for reading."

"Really? That's a shame," said Melody. "Thank you very much!"

"Of course!" said Twilight. "And if you need anything, feel free to ask Pinkie Pie or me, or any of our friends. We're here to help if you need it!"

"Thank you again, Twilight," Melody smiled happily at her.

"We need to finish our tour of Ponyville," Pinkie Pie chimed in. "We'll see you later Twilight!"

"Okay, Pinkie Pie. Have fun you two!" said Twilight Sparkle.

"Bye!" said Melody before following Pinkie Pie again.

Pinkie Pie continued to show her around Ponyville. She met many new ponies, including Lyra and Bon Bon, Time Turner, and Derpy Hooves. Pinkie Pie showed her where Rarity's boutique was, and barely managed to escape being measured and used as a model for some of Rarity's latest designs. The dressmaker was a very nice unicorn, but Melody wasn't really into modelling. It wasn't exactly her forte.

Melody was starting to wonder if she was the only one without a cutie mark when Pinkie Pie introduced her to the Cutie Mark Crusaders. She was relieved when she met the trio of fillies, because even though they were still young, they didn't have their cutie marks either. Unfortunately after a few minutes of conversing with them, the Cutie Mark Crusaders started worrying about ending up like Melody, with a blank flank. Melody apologized to the three fillies as Pinkie Pie pulled her away to continue the tour.

"Oh look, it's Roseluck! Her name is Roseluck, but everypony just calls her Rose," Pinkie Pie explained.

Melody followed Pinkie Pie to where Rose's stand was. She smiled at the scent of roses and other flowers. They were all quite lovely, clearly living up to Rose's special talent. Rose smiled when she saw Melody and walked around the stall to meet her.

Pinkie Pie introduced them and Rose said, "Well if you're new, then I should give you a welcoming gift!"

"Oh, you don't have to," said Melody politely.

Rose got a white lily from her stand and gave it to Melody. "I insist. It's free of charge, so don't worry about the bits."

"I...well thank you," said Melody. She couldn't help but smile at Rose's generosity. She gently took the flower and tucked it behind her ear with a hoof. "It was nice meeting you, Rose."

"You too. We should hang out sometime, if you want that is," said Rose. "It's not everyday I get to meet a new pony."

"Why not," said Melody with a smile. "I'll stop by again later, okay? Pinkie Pie's taking me on a tour of Ponyville. Though I have a feeling we're nearly done."

"We are," said Pinkie Pie. "Just a couple more places to go!"

Melody chuckled and nodded. "All right then. See you later Rose!"

"Bye Melody."

Melody smiled and let Pinkie Pie finish taking her on a tour. Pinkie Pie showed Melody the way to a yellow pegasus's cottage. The pegasus was Fluttershy, and like her name, was a very shy one according to Pinkie Pie. They went to her front door and Pinkie Pie knocked a few times. A few moments later the door slowly opened up, revealing a turquoise eye. When the eye's owner saw that it was Pinkie Pie, the door opened up more. Melody saw a canary yellow pegasus with a long light pink mane.

"Oh, hey Pinkie Pie," said Fluttershy in a low voice. Then she saw Melody who was smiling at her. "Oh...um, who's your friend?" she asked shyly.

"This is Melody," said Pinkie Pie. "Remember I told you I had a pen pal? This is her!"

"Oh...okay," Fluttershy smiled shyly at Melody. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too," said Melody. "Pinkie Pie says you take care of animals, is that right?"

"Um, yes I do..." said Fluttershy.

Pinkie Pie smiled kindly at Fluttershy and said, "I'm taking Melody on a tour of Ponyville. I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay..." said Fluttershy. "Um, bye..."

"Bye Fluttershy," said Melody.

She waved a hoof and Pinkie Pie led her away. Melody thought about her encounter with Fluttershy. The pegasus was definitely shy, and Melody had a feeling it would take some time for the pegasus to warm up to her.

Pinkie Pie pulled Melody out of her thoughts when she said, "Sweet Apple Acres is next! You need to know where that is, so come on!"

Melody giggled at the energetic pony and followed her through Ponyville. They went down the dirt road that led to Sweet Apple Acres, and the young unicorn looked at all the apple trees surrounding them. Soon they came to a barn where an orange mare with a blonde mane was pulling a small cart of apples into the barn.

"Applejack!" Pinkie Pie called. "Come meet my pen pal!"

The mare named Applejack paused before she went into the barn and looked over. She saw her friend Pinkie Pie and a new pony she hadn't met before. Applejack remembered Pinkie Pie telling her that her pen pal would be coming to Ponyville today. So she put a smile on her face and trotted over.

"Well howdy there, Pinks. And hello to you too, my name's Applejack. Pleased t' meet ya!" she spoke in her cowgirl accent.

"Hi, my name's Melody. Nice to meet you too!" said Melody with a friendly smile. "I take it this is your farm, judging by your cutie mark?"

"That's right! We here at Sweet Apple Acres grow only the best apples in Equestria!" Applejack said with a proud smile.

"I'll have to come by again later, in that case," said Melody thoughtfully.

"That would be great!" said Applejack. "You're welcome here anytime, Melody."

"Thank you," said Melody.

"Well I think that's it for our tour of Ponyville!" said Pinkie Pie. "What do you want to do now?"

"Hmm, Roseluck did ask if we could hang out after the tour. I think I'll go see her," said Melody. "Thanks for showing me around, Pinkie Pie."

"No problem!" said Pinkie Pie with a grin.

"Roseluck huh? Well ah guess that explains the flower then. Unless of course you got it on the train," commented Applejack. "Well y'all have fun now."

"See you Applejack!" said Melody. "Bye."

Melody and Pinkie Pie headed back into Ponyville, leaving Applejack to her work. Pinkie Pie went back to Sugar Cube Corner while Melody went to look for Roseluck. She found the earth pony at her flower stand. Roseluck smiled when she saw Melody.

"Hey, I'm still working, Melody. You're staying at Sugar Cube Corner right? I'll come by when I'm done for the day, okay?" Roseluck asked.

"Oh, I understand. That's fine with me," said Melody. "I might be at the Library though. Princess Twilight said I was welcome there, and I love reading so..."

"Oh gosh," said Roseluck. "Be careful Melody, as nice as the Princess is, she's a little too attached to her books."

Melody giggled and said, "I'm familiar with the type, don't worry."

"Haha, well see you later then?" Roseluck asked.

"Yep, later," Melody gave her a wave and headed off to Twilight's library.

As Melody turned to leave, Roseluck noticed her blank flank. She frowned, not having seen a full grown mare with no cutie mark before. She wanted to ask, but she did have to work and she didn't want to make Melody uncomfortable so soon after meeting her. She decided she would bring it up later, as subtly as she could.