• Published 16th Mar 2012
  • 1,968 Views, 20 Comments

In the Name of Sanity - Featherheart



River Song ventures to Equestria to bring the Doctor back to his universe.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,968

Home

After a lot of explaining and a little shouting, the Doctor and River decided to split up and search for the missing girls. Luckily, they weren't far: a nearby park proved to be their hiding spot. It was hard to get Rainbow, Aplejack, and Pinkie to stop racing each other, but after that the group headed back to the TARDIS.

Celestia had pulled a robe on and was conferring quietly with her still-weak student in the corner. When the group entered, the girls immediately rushed to her side, save for Ditzy. Celestia realized her private time with Twilight was over, and made her way over to join the other group.

"I'm so sorry for all the trouble, Doctor," she said in her quiet yet commanding voice.

The Doctor smiled at her kindly. "Well, trouble is a friend, and I'm always glad to see him again. Especially when he leads me on such brilliant adventures! I mean, look at you!" He gestured towards the princess and then to the group of friends. "Ponies as people. Who'd've thunk, huh?"

Celestia smiled and bowed her head slightly. When she looked back up, River noticed a tiny swirl of silver within the pupil of her eyes. She really is just a sum of two parts. The princess turned her smile towards River, who groaned.

"More psychics."

"Oh, River, that's not a good attitude!" The Doctor put his arm around her. "Think of it like this: it saves you a lot of talking!"

"Yes, if only it could stop you from talking," River teased. She dropped a kiss on his cheek as he pouted melodramatically. The group joined the rest of the crew, who were talking about the best cure for Twilight's weakness.

"Normally when the animals are like this, I make them rest."

"Obviously what you need is some retail therapy."

The debate ended up into single words as each girl tried to offer a solution.

"Apples!"

"Clothes!"

"Cupcakes!"

Celestia cleared her throat, a noise that somehow carried over the din. "I think what Twilight really needs is to go home." She turned to look at the Doctor, who nodded.

"Her quantum state needs to be normalized before she can heal. Otherwise her body might end up trying to regenerate improperly, leading to some serious deformities and defects."

"That means yes," Ditzy offered. The girls cheered happily and laughed. Even River smiled, but inside she was worrying.

What would the Doctor do once they returned the ponies to their proper home? They had the ITG, they could easily get back to their proper universe. But River knew the Doctor. It would never be that easy. He was used to his life in Ponyville, had grown immensely fond of all of the ponies. She stared at him, hardly noticing when he asked her something.

"What?"

"Don't act so shocked! I want you to help me pilot the TARDIS. I figure since I'm not doing an intensely difficult procedure that you and I can fly her by ourselves."

River shook her head, clearing away the unhappy thoughts. "Are you alright? The Doctor I know would never accept my help, let alone ask for it." She laughed as he adopted an exasperated expression. "Of course I'll help, sweetie."

With the Doctor and his wife at the helm, the TARDIS flew smooth and cleanly. Only a few bumps, one right at the beginning when River flicked the first switch, and a few after the Doctor hit the ITG trigger, but River figured that was from the universe changeover. Sure enough, after her fingers became hooves, the jostling stopped and the TARDIS landed without a hitch.

"Finally, something goes well." River muttered so only the Doctor could hear her. He laughed as he trotted over, rubbing his cheek against her own.

"They're a quiet lot, aren't –" the Doctor trailed off as he saw a pile of ponies laying unconscious. "Ah, well. You win some you lose some."

River realized now was her moment. "Doctor. Before they wake up… I have to ask… What happens now?" He blinked at her, and she knew he needed some clarification. "Do we stay here for a while, until you need to run again? Or do we leave now, going back to our universe? The Doctor and his wife and their mad blue box."

He smiled at her. "Oh, River. How could I ever pass up adventures with you? We'll say our goodbyes…" He sighed a little as he glanced at the now-stirring ponies. "I'm going to miss this place."