• Published 8th Apr 2014
  • 341 Views, 0 Comments

EC Tales Book Three: The Point of No Return - mynameisTheodore83



Silver Shield forms his own organization, and Shadow's sphere of influence continues to grow. An event also happens that changes Shadow.

  • ...
 0
 341

Chapter Four: Blood Soaked

Shadow was pleased with the group's growth. The Conspiracy had recruited from Baltimare as well as Fillydelphia, and even as far as Ponyville. Tunnels had been dug into the mountain, which ended up being a decent base. They continued to expand their influence as they got larger and had to make more room. Shadow began to split up the recruits into a fighting force and a strategy force, but he focused on both physical and mental training for everyone. He knew every pony's story and was trusted by his followers.

Shadow was finally beginning to see hope for the future of Equestria. Plans were beginning to be made to recruit from even further cities, and talks of changing Equestria were happening as well. Shadow sat at the top of it all, with Sky Strike and Thunder Sword right beside him and helping him the whole way.

But in a morning meeting, he was given some rather disturbing news. There was an outbreak at the Baltimare Jail. They had caught many of the prisoners, but one still remained. Shadow thought the picture had looked familiar as he read the rest of the story.

"The only escapee left to be caught is a dangerous Pegasus known as Storm Killer. Prison records state that he killed a fellow inmate several years back, and despite being given maximum security, led his prison gang to break out. His whereabouts remain unknown, but we speculate him moving fast and far away from Baltimare. Please, if you see this dangerous individual, call the police immediately."

Shadow slowly set the newspaper down. "This.... this was the man who killed my father.... so many years ago..." He couldn't shift his gaze from the floor. All of this... his entire life had changed by that moment. And the one responsible is now free. This was injustice at its finest. But he slowly realized that he had a small army to fight injustice. He could correct this, he could make it right, and all he had to do was say the words.

Shadow Blade slowly looked up. "We need to find that pony. Use everything we have: scouts, cameras, inside information. We cannot allow this unfairness to continue any longer. Before, I was alone. I could not do what needed to be done. But now, us together, have the power to change the world. And that change starts today. I need him found immediately. Get to it." He stayed locked in his room for the rest of the day.

˜˜˜
The next week was an odd one at the Conspiracy's Headquarters. Regular training was suspended and replaced with studying of records, files, security camera footage, and anything else they could get their hands on. Sky Strike and Thunder Sword started following Shadow everywhere, permitting no one to see him. The second and third in command were often positioned outside the door to the training room, where Shadow was simultaneously reflecting on his past and looking toward his future. He did all of this while performing the most advance training programs that there were at the base. Not only did he try to improve his swordsmanship, but also his use of magic and tactics. He didn't know when he would face Storm Killer, but he knew that he was going to, and he would be prepared when he did.

It took five days, a couple of security cameras, and seven spies positioned from Baltimare to Los Pegasus, but the Equestrian Conspiracy confirmed that Storm Killer had fled to the west coast of Equestria. After hearing this information, Shadow Blade got a small group of his finest troops and set out. He made sure to bring his favorite blade.

The band of conspirators set out for Los Pegasus. Shadow made sure to go north of Dodge City, as he had heard that Silver had built it himself. The trip was spent mostly in silence, with everyone thinking a different thought. Shadow was focused only on the rage and despair that this single pony had brought him over the years. Sky Strike was concerned for his friend. He had never seen Shadow like this before; even when they first met, he was able to keep his cool. He wanted to say something, but was afraid of his anger. Thunder Strike was just thinking about this quest that he had been given to traverse Equestria in search of a dangerous pony, and then to find and catch that pony. He was largely oblivious to what was really happening.

After passing through Ponyville, there was a large, empty stretch before they reached their destination. Sky felt this would be a good time to talk with Shadow.

"So, uh, you feeling ok, Shadow?" he started. The normally commanding general felt small and weak.

"Define 'ok'," Shadow answered back, never shifting his gaze.

"I don't know, you haven't been yourself lately," Sky responded.

Shadow sighed. "Imagine you were given the chance to do justice to those who had done you wrong. What was his name, Swift Sprint? What if you knew that he had suffered no consequence, but you have been given the chance to make him pay for his crimes. Wouldn't you take it?"

"I-I.." Sky stammered, "I would, but this has really gotten to you. I just want to know if after this, you'll be the same pony that calmed me down all those years ago."

Shadow stopped, turned, and gave a half smile. "I'm sorry that I have been cause of discomfort for you, Sky. Of course I will be the same after. This is just something that needs to get done now." He continued walking.

Sky was still skeptical, but it would have to be enough for him right now.

˜˜˜
After days of walking, they finally reached the outskirts of Los Pegasus. They knew that he wasn't in the city, so they set up a camp just outside of it, hoping to catch Storm Killer moving in or out of the city. It got dark before they saw him. They worked out a schedule to alternate the watch and alert the others if they saw him.

Shadow was half-asleep when it was his turn for watch. But not too long into his shift, he was jolted to fully alert by a rustling in the bushes. Not wanting to awake the others, he slowly crept toward where he thought the noise came from. He tried to be as quiet as possible, but he tripped on a root and before you know it, Storm Killer had leapt out of the bushes and right on top of Shadow, with a knife to his throat.

"You didn't see anything tonight, got it?" the Pegasus threatened.

Shadow decided to play along. "Yeah, ok..." he stammered. "I don't want any trouble..."

"Damn right you don't," Storm growled at the son of one of his victims. "Now I'm going to get off of you, but when I do, you stand here and close your eyes and wait for me to leave, got it? If I so much as see you flinch then I'll cut you right on the spot, hear?" Shadow nodded his head in false agreement.

"Ok then...." Storm slowly and carefully got off of Shadow, who simply lay for a second. Shadow knew that he had to get to his sword and surprise Storm, but it would be a tricky tactic. He began to run the possibilities in his head and slowly got up.

"Hey!" Storm whispered forcefully across the distance he had made. "No moving!" He continued his slow retreat.

After a few more agonizing seconds, Shadow had his plan. In one swift move, he leapt up and back to the beds, where he quickly grabbed his sword. Storm was coming in fast, and Shadow brought his blade up just in time to defend the blow. Despite his name, Shadow had never battled in the dark before. But he was a quick learner, trusting his ears more than his eyes. The two were blindly fighting when Storm missed a large swing. Shadow sensed it and immediately countered, knocking Storm's knife away and pinning him to the ground.

"Hey man, I don't mean any trouble, I'm just trying to survive!" Storm was no longer attempting to keep a low profile. "Do you want what I have? Take it, it's yours! Just let me go!"

The moon gave just enough light that Shadow stared into the face of the man who had ruined his life. His words came slowly and deliberately. "Many years ago you met a pony in prison.... A grey stallion with brown hair who didn't belong there.... Do you remember him?"

Horror crept into the Killer's eyes. "I- I-" he stammered, looking for the words that would be his salvation. "What about him?"

Shadow grimaced and ground his teeth. "You killed that stallion.... He was not innocent, but he did not deserve to die..... You killed him... He was my father..."

Storm tried to present his best poker face, but Shadow called his bluff immediately. "You have made my life a living hell since that day. I have experienced the worst pain because of you. But all of that is not nearly as bad as what I'm going to do to you...."

Storm's breathing rate quickened. "Wait, kid, I'm sorry! I didn't know this would happen!"

Shadow's expression darkened in the moonlight. "And now comes the remorse.... But no mercy belongs to the wicked!" Shadow's sword struck with raging blows, hitting everywhere he could. The Pegasus's screams woke up the rest of the group. Shadow sliced anywhere that was non vital: arms, legs, across the chest. Storm began to cough blood. Shadow could no longer contain himself; the stored anger of decades was finally being released through his blade. As the others shook off their slumber, the realized what was happening and tried to stop Shadow, but he brushed them aside as if they were flies. The blade continued to strike down, across the neck, into the face, anywhere that the red wounds hadn't touched yet. Shadow would stop at nothing short of mutilation. Blood spattered into his already red eyes, anger-fueled and sleep deprived. Eventually, Shadow lost strength and his friends were able to pull him off of the body. Someone recovered Shadow's blood soaked blade.