• Published 7th Jan 2014
  • 443 Views, 7 Comments

Equestria in Ruins - Eclipse Shine



The destruction has already been dealt but is it possible to reverse what has been done? Eclipse Shine and her friends set off on a journey never attempted before to finally restore peace in Equestria.

  • ...
3
 7
 443

Chapter 2: Prophecies

At the sight of everypony glaring at us, I could feel my heart burst out of my chest. I didn't know if my friends felt the same way but one thing was for certain, I could sense the hostility of the crowd as I stood with my legs anchored into the rocky soil.

Why are they staring at us like that?

Worry grew to fear as I saw Shining Armor approach the three of us and Apple Bloom. It was as if every step he took lasted an eternity. He met us face to face, staring at us as if we were some sort of alien life-form. I could feel Unity brush my coat and slowly move behind me almost as if she was mimicking Shining Armor's advancement. Out of the three of us, she was probably the most delicate pony. She wasn't shy or anti-social but she wasn't emotionally strong when it came to these types of situations. She hated getting looked down upon.

“Everypony, go back to your homes.” He projected these words with a tone of uncertainty but there was something more hidden behind it, something not as obvious. The ponies slowly started evacuating the mountain, speculating to one another.

Little did we know, Equestria would never be the same after this unexpected event.


Shining Armor, although he was no longer in charge of the royal guard, was still considered royalty and was under surveillance at events since there was always the possible danger of assassination or even public execution. Before long, a carriage of guards arrived to lead us all to Canterlot where we would be able to see the true power of the darkness that not only manifested itself physically upon the lost heroic souls but also on a larger scale: turning society against itself.

~

The streets of Canterlot were desolate and no longer served their initial purpose of basking the bourgeoisie society with mystical light only to be matched by the Crystal Empire itself. Now it’s only purpose was to embrace the evil that swept in like a vulture; eating away at the already decaying fundamental laws of society. This was anarchy, or at least the closest possible thing to it.

As we arrived in Canterlot, I could feel an evil presence lurking in the darkness as night was closing in on us. Shivers ran through me as I started to notice graffiti portraying the princesses and Shining Armor hanging by nooses with a large “A” written, circled by red paint; resembling the blood that poured out of the severed limbs of the royal family.

Once we arrived at the castle, we could see similar images portrayed throughout the lot.

I don’t know how anypony can live this way…


Then I recalled the fact that the Crystal Empire had crumbled with the wake of King Sombra long ago. Princess Cadence and Shining Armor had to seek refuge in Canterlot shortly after. Now, Shining Armor couldn’t bring himself to move on from his tragic past.

The doors creaked open as they revealed the majestic interior of the seemingly abandoned castle that looked like it wasn’t cleaned properly since catastrophe first struck. It wasn’t dark, yet it was not bright either. It resembled nor day or night. It was something in between that let the dim light shine upon the castle. The street lanterns shone through the stained glass windows, revealing the fulfilled prophecies of the princesses along with the mane six. Everything from Nightmare being sent to the moon to Discord being turned to stone, it all shone don to illuminate our way. Everything was now revealed in the obscure light. Twilight has illuminated the path towards the throne.

Shining Armor led us to a candle-lit chamber where books were displayed that I had never set my eyes upon. Ancient books locked away to prevent any further damage tainted the shelves with various colours. In the right hooves, these books could prove to be useful; in the wrong ones, disaster was certain.

In his study, Shining Armor had scrolls upon scrolls laid out on top of a gorgeous oak desk. The one at the top of these mysterious scrolls revealed a solar eclipse from far but as I trotted closer, I could notice something strange about it. The contents had now been revealed to me in a shock that jolted me like a bolt of lightning.

“It…it can’t be…” I uttered as Unity and Starshard now stood by my side. “How could this be possible?!” I continued in disbelief, gasping at the thought of the authenticity of this ancient document. I started to read the words that the script held written my head.

When darkness will fall over Equestria, the fading light will give birth to a new dawn.

Beneath these very words was what appeared to be three ponies hovering in front of the image of an eclipse that much resembled my cutie mark. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, this sudden revelation took me by such surprise that I found it difficult to breathe.

I continued to read.

An eclipse will shine upon the horizon, revealing that even in dusk, there’s a glimmer of hope.

It then became clear to me. I was that light in the darkness. I was the good in the evil. I was the truth in the countless lies. I was the dawn that overwhelmed the dusk.