• Published 30th Dec 2013
  • 888 Views, 17 Comments

Those Distant Sisters - Rettro



Far across the ocean from any land known to Equestria sits the volcanic island nation of Hearth. It's ponies live a good life of technological and military sophistication - a land on the verge of change as two ponies get lost and wind up in Eque

  • ...
1
 17
 888

Chapter 3

Even with a full complement of friends, the Ponyville library was far from crowded. Six mares lay around a large window flanked by two forlorn telescopes. The world outside was dim, ignoring the bright sunlight that shone from the orb still flying high in the sky – assuming it was there, at least, hidden behind the thick cloud cover.

“Sorry girls, we can’t control storms out over the Everfree” the rainbow maned pegasus mare said, “best way to get rid of this storm is to just let it burn itself out.” This bit of information elicited a moan from most of the crowd.

“It’s not your fault Rainbow Dash, “the purple mare spoke next, releasing a small sigh. “Oh well, I guess our little stargazing party will have to reschedule. Shame, the seven sisters were supposed to be especially bright tonight.” She rose to pack up her telescopes, but was pushed aside by an energetic pink mare.

“Well Twilight, we can’t have the stargazing party, but how about we have a big-angry-bird-gazing party instead?” The earth pony mare was staring through a telescope – quite a feat considering her curly mane hovered over the other end. While the other ponies in the room looked at the pink mare confused, a quiet butter yellow pegasus took to the other telescope.

“Um… Pinkie?” Her tiny voice barely carried over the sound of wind outside, but the others knew to listen for her and soon all eyes were on her. She shied away from the eyepiece. “That’s not really a bird. It’s not moving its wings at all and I can’t see any feathers.”

The mares took turns at the telescopes, trying to guess what sort of creature could be out there. Theories ranged from an ancient storm-breeding bird, since the creature was trailing dark clouds, to the friendly spirit of free sweets. The former was more accurate, while still quite off. The bird flew between Ponyville and Canterlot, tilting further and further towards the ground. After a minute, two dark figures fell from the creature.

“Look, look! It’s laying eggs!” Pinkie yelled excitedly, only to be pushed aside by the formerly quiet yellow pegasus. “Ouch, Fluttershy! Whatcha do that for?”

“Those look like…”The shy pegasus was interrupted by a gasp from the rainbow maned pegasus who was moments ago looking through the other telescope. Fluttershy’s last word was almost lost in the flurry of sound from Dash flying out the window.

“Ponies…”