• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 1,167 Views, 20 Comments

The Powers That Be - Anthri



The Mane Six must save Equestria from a war the gods started and learn the truth of why.

  • ...
9
 20
 1,167

Eyes Closed Shut

That morning they all got together at the broken barred gates of Skadholm's outer wall gatehouse. Atlas once again took Fhillip on his back feeling that the unicorn was comfortable with his certain body type compared to the others who had thicker bodies. Elder was gone by the time the sun rose, headed back to South Rhymica. He didn't want to be apart of this. So Skadholm gave the orders and they were off into the sky traveling in the direction of Canterlot to the north.

The attacking force was around sixty dragons strong and during the flight, Skadholm gave the attack plan. They were to enter the city with only the leaders while the other dragons surrounded the outskirts to keep out the nearby pegasi reinforcements from Cloudsdale. They would be trouble if they managed to get through the blockade and into the city. It was a sound plan but Huxio was a very slow flyer. He was also their trump card and Fhil knew that once that monster entered the city, it would all be over.

Fhillip saw the stretch of land below him and looking ahead, he saw the familiar mountain with the magical city hanging from it. Canterlot was in range. Av was already here and flew up to greet them. Apparently he had been sent ahead to make sure all was clear. He waved us foward and the dragons flew faster towards the city. The attack started and the dragon force quickly encircled the sky above Canterlot as the leaders crashed into the city spreading out to cause mayhem. Skadholm took Fhil off of Atlas and flew to Fhillips house with the pony in his arms.

“It's on the street that green dragons on!” Fhil exclaimed. He remembered her from the way her eyes looked.
“You mean Alexandra? Yes, I see her. We better hurry then.” Skadholm said looking at the female dragon stomping around the street in the distance. She had a huge grin as she tried to crush them beneath her feet.

Skadholm took flight with amazing speed. On the way there, Fhillip noticed all the chaos in the streets as ponies ran from their houses towards the cities entrance, trying to escape from the devestation. The guard were using spears and magic against the attacking dragons but to no real effect. Their defense was completely blindsided.

Skadholm got Alexandra's attention and waved her elsewhere. She saw these motions and aknowledged them, flying off. He then put Fhil down on the street, nodded and flew off to another part of the city.

Fhillip ran to his house, dodging all the fleeing citizens and passing guard in the street. Now that the dragon from the area was gone, they found the opportunity to regroup. Fhil made it to his house to find it untouched by the violence. He ran inside to make sure his wife was still there.

Thankfully he found Lillian packing in their room. “Lillian!” he cried.

The female unicorn turned around with disbelieving eyes at what she saw. They trotted to each other and embraced lovingly. Even though this was a nice moment, explosions rocked the foundations and echoed outside, they were still in danger. The couple went outside onto the street.

Fhil turned to his wife in a voice of desperation, “We need to get to the castle! It's our only chance at stopping this!”

Lillian looked at Fhillip in confusion but pointed her hoof to the town entrance. He wished she wasn't mute because he knew that she had much more to say, especially at moments like this.

“Don't worry, the dragons won't do anything to us, unless we stick around too long. I know it sounds strange but I have a pact with one of the leaders that I'm to get you out of town but I know the outside isn't much more safer.” he explained to her.

She arched an eyebrow and pointed a hoof at the male unicorn then pointed it to the dragons flying above. She suggested that he was the cause. She was right but he wasn't going to tell her, not yet. “I'll explain the details later, we have to go honey!” The mare didn't question it anymore and being lead by Fhillip, proceeded down the streets towards the castle.

Fhil understood that he was told that the dragons would pull back before Canterlot was completely destroyed. The unicorn didn't care and didn't take that chance just in case Chaos was lying or that it was a situation much like a monkey paws wish.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Outside of Canterlot, the dragon horde was being met by heavy resistance by reinforcements from Cloudsdale. The pegasus city had sent the Wonderbolts along with several battalions of pegasus military. They were fighting hard to get into the city but were mere ants compared to the might of the dragons. Working together, the pegasi force were racking up wins in some area's of the battlefield. Suddenly the tide of battle became the dragons completely as a new foe appeared. It was Huxio who had been slow to arrive but the image his form represented was frightening. He was a small mountain by himself and he was headed towards the Canterlot city gates.

Fhillip and Lillian passed more guards stumbling to get past the downed buildings in the roads. He wasn't sure where the princesses were or even if the Elements of Harmony were fighting. They were drawing closer to the castle when they heard a loud crash from the other end of the main road towards the entrance gates. The two unicorns looked back at the source. It was Huxio in all his monstrous glory grinning ear to ear.

If that thing makes it to the castle, it's all over! Fhil thought remembering that dragons story about the Diamond Dogs.

True enough that the dragon was a tank, he was the end of a city. Why he was so massive compared to the others, Fhillip didn't understand. But now that Huxio was in town, Fhil compared and could see that he scaled more than twelve stories compared to the other dragons whom stood around eight stories. Fhil saw Atlas fly down to greet Huxio and said some things to him. After the red one left, the yellow dragon proceeded to walk towards the castle.

“I can't allow him to eat the princesses, we have to trot faster!” Sure enough they started moving faster as they passed even more panicked unicorn and earth pony guardsman. Huxio was smashing all the buildings that were tall enough to be smacked by his hands.

Shortly the unicorn couple made it to the stairs leading to the castle's main hall. The castle grounds were empty so Fhil had no trouble getting inside the castle. Once inside the two raced for the throne room that was adjacent to the halls entrance. Surprisingly, nopony was there but then the structure shook and the ceiling above collapsed as Luna was shot through the puncture. She laid unmoving on the other side of the room from them as they rushed to her. The roof still crumbled from the new hole that the two made sure not to be hit by falling rock on the way over to Luna.

“Your majesty!” Fhillip called to Luna with his wife standing beside him. She wasn't conscious. Shortly, her sister flew down through the hole to make sure she was okay. Celestia worriedly checked her vitals with magic but was relieved to know it wasn't a fatal hit.

She looked at Fhillip with a questioning expression, “What are you ponies doing here? It's dangerous, you should have evacuated the city!”

As she was telling them this, Huxio ripped the hole in the ceiling a little more. He reached his hand in and grabbed a random pony. He squeezed it with all his might hoping its blood would ooze out of the openings in his fingers. On the castle floor, Celestia looked on in horror. The blood never came though. Suprised, the dragon opened his yellow fingers and saw in astonishment what he picked up. It was Fhillip and he was unharmed.

“Fhilly? What is this? Why you still here and why aren't you dead?” At that moment, Luna shot up through the new opening of the room and delivered a devastating punch to Huxio's face causing him to stumbled backwards, tossing Fhillip in the process. Luna caught him and put him next to Celestia back inside the castle. Lillian crowded him with joy seeing he was unharmed but Celestia and Luna were not amused.

“Fhillip, it sounded like that dragon knew you.” Celestia said.

“Well, um, I..” Fhillip trailed off as Huxio's face appeared through the hole.

“WHY DIDN'T YOU DIE?!” he yelled, unaffected by the fall.

Fhillip looked up at him and both Celestia and Luna had taken off through the hole to fight him. “Looks like he didn't get the message sister!” Luna yelled.

He was ready for their physical assault but Celestia started using combat magic against him. It burned and was effective but it would take a lot of it to actually have visual success. Huxio was there to dominate. Luna's magic was weaker but she had more diverse spells than her bigger sister did. Luna decided she would keep using her physical strength which happened to be greater than Celestia's.

“Die dragon!” Luna shouted as she punched and kicked at Huxio's face. She got out of the way when he blew fire out targeting her. Celestia flew around to get at his eyes with beams. He kept defending them with his hands though. They kept his defensive limbs and magic busy as they flew around him like flies.

Meanwhile down on the floor Lillian tried signaling questions about why he was unharmed and what he knew. “I'm being kept against my will and this is all the plan of some mischievious god to get revenge on the rulers of this place.” he told her bluntly.

She gave him a disapproving stare but then showed concern for his well being with her usual loving hug. He felt her heart racing. “I need to find a way to stop this madness. It's kinda my fault but I will make it right somehow.” he assured her.

His wife began to tear up then looked down to the ground to hide her face but Fhil saw it. All this was a little to much for her. He felt bad but his resolve to fix things got stronger.

Outside the city, Av the white dragon was taking on the Wonderbolts. Atlas was breathing fire streaks down the streets and it looked to Fhil like Skadholm and Ryalon were taking their time with the rest of the city.

-----------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile back in South Rhymica, in the forest clearing, Elder put himself down on his stomach with the Canterlot attack weighing deep in his mind. He let out a sigh and rolled on his side in a restless manner. “She's going to hate me for this.” he said to himself.

Elder then saw the figure of a shaman appear out of nothing before him.

“Yes she will.” Chaos said menacingly.

“Chaos! So are you the one these zebra follow?” The dragon got on his feet.

Chaos looked down at his own clothes and realized something he already knew. “You never saw me with clothes on before. Very impressive you managed to link me to those zebra. I came to visit, after all, it's been to long! Ever since you killed my lovely Discordia.” he said flatly.

The black dragon's eye's started glowing red as Elder stared down the Chaotic god. “You are finally going to die Chaos. The others and I have been looking for you all this time. Your sealed power is all we have to worry about once your avatar is completely destroyed.” Elder said angrily.

“Nah.” Chaos said. With that, a small group of zebra's trotted out of the woods. They were all equipped with bags and blow pipes. “I've taught all my friends how to make dragon slaying poison.” The dragon was completely surrounded by the tribe. “It took some time but I managed to get my hands on some serious ingredients to make it.”

“So that is what was being used against me? I doubt it would do anything to me.” Elder told Chaos while looking at the rag tag group of tribal looking equines and then looked to the creature who was dressed like a shaman.

Chaos looked back at Elder through the black eye holes of his skeleton mask. “At first it was innocent target practice using something else. If you were hit, it would have not hurt. You would come to trust that it would never hurt you.” Chaos laughed. “Destruction, you may be a divine being but you still are a dragon in your avatar form.”

Chaos motions for a bigger dread locked zebra to come forward. “Show him his mortality, Chad.” With that said, the large zebra tossed a liquid filled green balloon at the small black dragon. Destruction side stepped the balloon with ease.

“So you are afraid of it.” Chaos laughed.

“Enough of your games!” The small dragon then flew at top speed towards Chaos. The shaman teleported in front of the dragon and punched him in the snout with his golden gauntlet hand in midair. Holding in the pain, the Destruction was surprised and flew higher to get a better look at the field. He noticed the zebra's standing there doing nothing, just watching. Destruction began to glow with a red aura, transforming into a much larger and more deadly looking dragon.

Destruction was still black but he was much more bulky and his size overall was as large as all the other leaders. Flying in place, Destruction kept his eyes on the chaotic god down below as he cast a shadow over the the clearing. He wings beating hard made the trees of the jungle sway with the wind. The clearing below caught most of the wind and Chaos' robe and the hair on the zebra's blew with it as they were looking up at the newly transformed dragon. Destruction was a fierce sight but the zebra's did not flinch or cower.

Chaos laughed at Destruction’s will to fight. “Ah, so now you're serious. Let us see the true might of the God of Destruction!”