• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 447 Views, 0 Comments

From Realms Afar - The Digital Guy



A Kingdom and it's inhabitants must retreat to a different world after their home is invaded by a dangerous mage.

  • ...
2
 0
 447

A Burning City

From Realms Afar
Chapter 1: The Army
On a different world, a huge stone fortress rose above the clouds in a mountain range. Smoke rose in huge billowing clouds as it was waylaid with a siege. Catapults flung flaming stones into its courtyards, the burning rocks beating the structures like meteors. Men inside the burning city were heavy with armor, barricading the gates and firing volley upon volley upon volley of arrows at their attackers. The battle had been raging for hours, and more and more men arrived every one of those hours to reinforce the army’s strength, building up momentum and tearing at the castles thick stone walls. Inside, moral and resources were stooping to all-time lows. Clerics quickly dashed about the battlefield, healing the wounds of soldiers and marking others for dead. Still the flaming rocks fell upon the city, and more and more property was lost, soon there would be no city to conquer. The soldiers at the barricade yelped as a massive claw slashed the wood to splinters, a terrifying roar filled the air and flames filled the bulwark, killing those trying to hold the gate in a raging inferno.

The dragon burst through the still burning gate with a speed to rival lightning’s, hide without armor, simply a glowing ring around its neck that dug into its throat whenever it disobeyed its master’s orders. The once noble creature flamed more soldiers as they yelled and charged it, charring their skin and making their steel armor glow red. Arrows pelted its back ferociously, causing it to roar in rage, jumping up with humungous wings and destroying a tower, ad killing dozens of archers. Men on the other side of the walls rushed in filled with zeal and a thirst for blood. As the gates fell, a horn sounded at the city’s highest point, calling all of the soldiers and mages to return to the palace. The city was flooded with countless soldiers, sometimes being hindered with traps and runes, but never stopping the over powering tide of warriors. The palace doors were sealed, and deep inside a large gathering of men robed in red silk gilded with golden lace. A huge purple rune before they began to glow brighter as they chanted something in an ancient language.

The remaining soldiers soon retreated to the rune, a few one horseback, and one with a crown of gold and emeralds. Soon, the familiar roar of the fire drake filled the halls as it disintegrated the doors with a single blast of flame, allowing the armies to charge inside. The rune reached its zenith with a final yell of the mage’s voices, and the survivors disappeared with a blinding flash. As the armies charged in, they looked around stupefied to find the halls empty. The castle was claimed by the impending army, and many cheers of joy and fervor filled the halls. Slowly, the celebrations quieted as a man walked in, his footsteps echoing in the polished stone halls. The man was garbed in a grey robe, much like that of the high warlocks that transported the survivors to safety. Men bowed at his presence, some in respect, and others in absolute terror. He approached the dragon and patted its scaled nose, the creature gurgled happily, but it was a forced sound, and its eyes were filled with hate. The man walked into the same room as the rune, and saw the six red robed mages being roped and captured.

“Well well, if it isn’t the Six Sages… how have you been?” the man asked, his voice was surprisingly young and filled with a smug tone.

One looked up at him, a grey beard hanging beneath his chin, eyes filled with anger, “Serverin! I should have known, no other could command a dragon to battle.”

Serverin smiled wickedly, “Correct you are, old man, as usual. Tell me, did your precious orb tell you of my approach?”

The sage simply stared with a longing in his eyes, face becoming stoic.

“I see, well, my spell worked then,” he said, walking to the burnt floor, the rune now inscribed in soot, “Where are they, o’ mighty sage?”

The wise man grinned with a knowing smile, “Far away from your clutches, and the scepter with them. Try as you might, you’ll never find them in the multiverse.”

The dark robed mage chuckled, “Oh no, not the multiverse… whatever shall I do… What’s this…?” he asked himself, pulling out six collars similar to the one wrapped around the dragon’s neck, “I guess we’ll see how these work first, then?”

White fluffy clouds filled the sky above the grand city of Canterlot. Swirling roofs sat upon tall marble towers, and the streets were filled with the hustle and bustle of any capital city. Ponies enjoyed their days, buying goods and gadding about with friends, catching up on the latest gossip and sipping rich cups of tea. The city was patrolled by guards, armed with spears and swords. They marched and sat at corners, making sure that the city was safe and happy. The palace was especially well guarded, and filled with a beautiful garden. Ponies were allowed to come and go as they please, taking in the graces of the well maintained flora and kind animals, or taking tours of the palace. Some ponies came from far and wide, all to meet with the Princess Sisters in court, so that they may bring up topics and business offers.

Today was especially busy for some reason, the line for court easily lead out into a separate hallway. From upon her gold throne, Celestia sat bored as another colt from Trottingham made a point about the increasing homeless rates there and had a small chart depicting the increase and likely causes. The chart was strikingly similar to one that she had just seen. At the end of his presentation, the stallion left and Celestia looked out one of the cathedral windows lining her hall. Soon she could set the sun and vacate to her private quarters. The thought of a warm cup of mint tea and a warm fireplace made her wonder if anypony would notice a slightly earlier sunset that usual…. Well, her sister might, and anypony watching the clock and sky at the same time, but she might be able to get away with it. She shook her head, no, it was her duty to learn the whereabouts of her country, and some of these ponies journeyed from distant lands to see her, the least she could do was open her ears to them.

Just as another pony stepped inside, dressed in business wear and baring a brown briefcase, there was a magical thunderclap. Celestia felt the very fabric of reality ripple, and then a splitting headache attacked her. Everything began to spin, and Celestia felt dizzy. A guard beside her took notice, and leaned over to see her face was wrought with pain.

“P-Princess Celestia, are you alright?” he asked, coming to her aid.

Celestia leaned back, “I’m fine, just a headache… I haven’t felt something this powerful since…”

Thoughts to ages ago reminded her of her foalhood, the world was peaceful, until the same feeling washed over her… and in a chaotic flash, He showed up.

“I must take a break and be with my sister. Court is officially closed due to unforeseen circumstances. Guards; make your way to the barracks and watch over the city. I must go.”

With that said, Celestia rose from her seat and disappeared in a golden flash. He guards were confused, but obeyed, ordering everypony to leave and headed to the barracks for further orders. As for Celestia, she reappeared in her sister’s room, and startled the slumbering Princess Luna from her rest. Luna was awake now, mane slightly out of shape and eyes groggy, but awake.

“Celly… What time is it, surely not time to raise the moon?” she asked, slowly getting out of bed.

Celestia shook her head, moving to her sister, “No, not time yet. Did you not feel it, or perhaps dream it?”

Luna raised a brow, “Whatever do you mean dearest sister, are you troubled by something?”

Celestia nodded, approaching one of the windows, “I felt a force akin to that of Discord’s appearance.”

Luna was suddenly awake; the very mention of the devilish Draconequus caused her mane to flare out and eyes to snap to attention, “Do you think another of his kind came through?”

Celestia sighed, “I don’t know, but I can feel something atrociously powerful somewhere near the Everfree… It’s unlike anything I’ve ever sensed, can you not feel it?”

With her mind much more aroused, Luna focused her power on the Everfree, “Yes, I can… Dare I say it; it feels as though it is more powerful than Discord…”

“I know,” said Celestia, “Which is why it frightens me so, I fear not even the Elements may be able to quell it.”

“We do not know it's intentions, it could very well be a much kinder creature,” countered Luna, trying to stay on what little bright side there was to this situation.

Celestia smiled at her sister, “You are correct, perhaps I am seeing this in too dark a light. Still, we should take precautions, so I will be leaving with a regime of our best to investigate.”

“Not alone, you aren’t!” Luna said, standing beside her sister, “I’m coming with you.”

Celestia chuckled, “I said I was taking are best guards, I won’t be alone.”

“Well by the time you get there it will be dusk, my Night Guards are especially good at seeing in the dark, we could be your eye in the sky,” Luna said, reinforcing her point with just a hint of pride.

Celestia mulled it over, “Very well, your guards may come with us, it will be important to know exactly where it is, even when our eyes fail us.”

Luna smiled, “You won’t regret it; how long until we head out?”

“As soon as we’re ready to leave for the Everfree forest. Gather your guards, and we’ll “head out”.”

The woods quivered with the wind, limbs trembling in the slowly cooling air. Leaves began to turn orange and wither with the coming of autumn in the independent forest. A sudden crack filled the air, but no thunderclouds hung above. There was a sudden commotion as a flock of birds scrambled into the air at the appearance of a huge force of men, women, and warriors. Armor and metal horse shoes clanked as the men began to shuffle about, horses restless. Some soldiers approached the center of the formation, kneeling before their superior.

“My liege, the area is secure, we are alone,” they reported, heads still facing the ground.

The crowned Duke nodded, “Good, then the wise and noble Sage’s have done as they have told. Their magic is truly wondrous, may my ancestors watch over them.”

One soldier looked up, “Orders, sir?”

The Duke looked around, “Have you ever seen a forest so thick? Or one that yellows? I do not like it, it may corrupt the scepter, let us find a place to rest our weary feet.”

“Aye, my lord!”

With that, the group ran off, barking orders to the soldiers under them. Mages began to use perimeter spells, looking for any signs of life and rangers scouted the area for some form of clearing.

The Duke looked around pleased, “Even after their city has fallen and homes burned, my people stay strong and loyal… I could not ask for more in return.”

It wasn’t long before a knight in slightly more polished armor returned, “My lordship, we have located what appears to be a ruin of some sort. It is well fortified despite being old, and a trench makes it very easy to defend.”

“And what about space, is there room for the civilians?” asked the Duke, looking to his people.

The knight nodded, “Yes, my lord. It looks to be like some sort of old castle and grounds.”

“Onward then, we march for the ruins,” commanded the Duke, pointing the direction specified by the faithful knight.

As they trekked through the thick woods, the Duke began to feel as if they were being watched, though his mages reported nothing. The trees were tall and twisted, almost unnaturally so, and vines hung from some of their branches. This world was a curious one, and he spotted one of the older alchemists take some bark and leaf samples. Their numbers were few, only two or maybe three hundred, including him. They were the survivors of a horrible attack, most likely some dark hearted man’s attempt to steal and corrupt the Staff of Harmony. The fortress was all but impenetrable around the holy city, except to a beast as powerful and respected as a drake… for one to control such a creature… the Duke shuddered.

They were soon upon the castles exterior, and as stated by his knight, a large trench surrounded the area, mist keeping the bottom out of sight, almost as if it was meant to. It was unfortunate that the knight forgot to mention that only an old and rotting rope bridge connected the two lands together.

“Have a new and more solid bridge built. Make it fast though, we must begin to pitch our camps, night fast approaches,” he called out, pointing out the old bridge as some of the more brave villagers attempted to cross.

The men quickly mobilised, and the sound of chopping was soon heard. Still holding fast to hiss orders, he saw that after a matter of minutes they had chopped down two tall and thick trees, each long enough to cross the gorge. Soon, large braches were being fastened using some rope and leather straps, and the bridge was ready to be crossed. The Duke dismounted, and led his pony across, followed by other riders, and then everyone thereupon after. They approached slowly, despite their previous courage and impatience, the palace had a very ominous feel to it, and the Duke hoped that it would pass when light again graced its derelict halls. Tents were quickly set up, and the Duke along with the Scepter bearers made their way into the old castle. The Duke saw that there was a tower above them, and ordered that watchmen were posted there, and the Scepter as well. The four men carrying a golden jeweled casket acknowledged, and carefully carried it up the steps.

A small and unspoken system was made. Anyone with an axe gathered wood, anyone with a sword and armor helped pitch tents and began to patrol the area, and anyone with magical talents began to inspect the area for anomalies and healed any injuries. The Duke had his own personal room established in the larger room they first entered. It was a well-constructed castle, even with pillars lying around the room, the floor did not collapse and glass still filled some of the windows. The roof was missing, but it did give a spectacular view of the sky as it burned bright orange. His bedroll was rolled and horse was pitched, The Duke began to wonder how to rebuild. Soon, makeshift torches filled the room and heard the sound of fires crackling inside the courtyard. His people were alive, that was a start, but there was no telling what creatures lurked here, some may even be more powerful than some of the Immortal Dragons of old.

The Duke made his way to the bedroll at the far end of the chamber, bypassing an odd statue and sitting beneath and archway. He was tired, and there wasn’t much to do, the denizens of Aviana were very kind to one another, effects of generations of trying to maintain absolute harmony for the Scepter. He was just settling in his bed when a guard came clanking along, running to the Duke as if the world was crumbling beneath them and the Duke had the only stable land.

“M-My liege, a thousand apologies for waking you, but this is urgent!” the guard stammered.

“Very well, go on,” the Duke sat up, looking at the knight.

“We are being watched, sir,” he reported, looking away for a moment, and then back to the Duke, “By strange four legged creatures.”

The Duke began to get up, “Can we have no peace… Form a perimeter, I will take no chances of our people falling, assume that they’re hostile and kill any that come into the camp.”

The knight bowed, “Yes my Lord.”

The knight stood as he was dismissed, and then raced back to the soldiers, yelling orders and moving the townspeople into a protected section of the ruin.

The Duke sighed, “Ancestors; can we have no peace…?”

Author's Note:

Well, this is, what, my fifth installment? I have another that isn't published, but still, I've put a lot more effort into this one that usual, I can only hope the second chapter will be written with the same patience. Now, because it took me a good five to six hours to write, I'd appreciate it if you guys picked out any mistakes and whatnot, so that I may right my written wrongs and whatnot. Now, I have to make a second chapter and whatnot. Good day.