• Published 15th Mar 2012
  • 1,040 Views, 28 Comments

Tyro's Tail - RainbowsAreMagic



A human-turned-pony struggles to find his place in Equestria.

  • ...
 28
 1,040

For Special Services

Chapter 8: For Special Services

Tyro needed help. After his report to the Princess about the strange behaviors he had witnessed, she had tasked him personally with watching all six of the bearers of the elements. There was no way he could do it alone, but he couldn't afford to ask anyone for help who he didn't trust completely. Spike he could count on, and himself of course, but even the two of them couldn't watch everypony at once, especially not in secret. And so, he found himself here, where all the truly desperate eventually go. Into the too-quiet air made by his spell of silence, and with hope in his heart, he began to speak.

Dear Tyro,

After reading a number of reports from Twilight and her friends, I have begun to grow concerned. Three of them were acting exactly opposite their Elements without realizing it, yet the other three were unaffected.

Your report was the most concerning, however. The comparison to behavior under Discord's influence is not without merit, and I think you are right to suspect a possible connection. I can make sure Discord remains imprisoned, but I need your help as well.

I need you to observe and record patterns of unusual behavior from all six of the Elements. This must be done without them knowing about it, as I can't openly take such measures. Remember, Tyro: this task is very important, and no one can know!

Princess Celestia

"What I need you to do is to watch the six bearers of the elements as best you can—but without being noticed—and take notes on any strange behaviors that exactly oppose the elements. They can't know you're watching, so try to stay quiet and stay hidden when you can, unless you actually have a reason to be nearby. If you get caught, don't tell anyone what you were actually doing. Remember, Princess Celestia is depending on our success."

There was a silence after Tyro finished.

"So, how would you like to try out... Cutie Mark Crusaders: Spies of the Princess?"

The three young ponies cheered.
"You can count on us!"
"For Princess Celestia!"
"Silent to the end!"

Tyro hoped he had done the right thing. The three young ponies would do the best they could to watch their family members, he knew, but wuld it be enough? More importantly, could they keep the secret? If even one of the ponies told anyone, Tyro would be in a heap of trouble.

But what else was he to do? He couldn't watch everyone with Spike's help alone, and nopony else could be as immune to suspicion as the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Tyro knew that they were his best chance at success, but he was still worried.

Returning to Spike, he made one last request. "Spike, I need to send a letter."

Dear Princess Celestia,

I have enlisted the best ponies I could find to help watch over the Elements, as you have asked. However, they are doing this at great risk to themselves and their non-existant cutie marks. With that in mind, I think once this is all over, they each should get a reward for their bravery.

Your Loyal Spymaster,
Tyro

Princess Celestia chuckled at Tyro's letter. Enlisting the Cutie Mark Crusaders to spy on their family members... a bold stroke indeed. Calling over an aide, she quickly requested the creation of three medals, "For Special Services to Equestria."