• Published 25th Dec 2013
  • 1,099 Views, 24 Comments

Diary of a Soldier - TheCamel



The griffons attack on Los Pegasus, from the view of one pony guard.

  • ...
8
 24
 1,099

Los Pegasus: Day 3

It’s only been two days. Two days, and the city is absolutely unrecognizable. I wasn’t prepared for this. None of us were.

This is the first break I’ve had since my last entry. I haven’t been able to stop and rest at all. I haven’ t slept since then, but I’m not tired. None of us are. I don’t think I’ll be able to close my eyes anytime soon.

The griffons came down on us out of nowhere. From what we could gather, a squad or two of griffons attacked on the ground. The pegasi on sky patrol were ordered to intercept them in case they tried to fly away, but with the sky now vulnerable an entire company of griffons came out of nowhere and attacked.

They landed almost in the middle of the city and split our forces in two. Our side of the city caught a small break, but we can’t rest for long as the griffons are focusing their attack on the other side of the city. We’re trying to organize a counter attack and reconnect our forces. If we don’t our comrades in arms are doomes; we have the supply depot on our side, but they have nothing besides what they’re carrying and what they can find.

We’re right now holed back up in the shopping mall as it’s the strongest defensive position we could find that is also large enough to hold our supplies. Our small infirmary is already at full capacity, but there’s currently no way to evacuate any of the casualties as the train station is held by the griffons. We have plenty of supplies to keep the wounded stable, but the medics are using only what’s absolutely necessary to keep our supplies in stock as long as possible.

Our squad saw a bit of fighting… these griffons are tougher than I thought. In the air they’re especially savage; their tactic is to rip out the feathers from our pegasi and ground them, causing us to lose air superiority. Our pegasi now have to stay within range of us unicorns for protection, but by having to stay so low to the ground they’re unable to reach the rooftops of many of the buildings in the city.

Our casualties are relatively light. Red Canyon got a few deep slashes in one of his legs while fighting a downed griffon. Swift Wing also got shaken up a bit when a griffon grabbed ahold of one of his wings, but Night Sparkler and I were able to blast the griffon off just in time, thank Celestia.

Still, some ponies weren’t so lucky. We ran into Foggy Dawn’s squad while falling back from our first position, or… what was left of his squad. Fog was in rough shape; he had his face cut up and had a nasty slash across his throat. The only pony left in his squad wasn’t in much better shape. Poor pegasus had his wings broken and only survived thanks to one of the unicorns in their squad before he was killed. But on their way back they passed by the scene of another brutal skirmish and found Sharp Tip’s body among the carnage. It was no surprise he was the only loss his squad suffered. He was always one to put himself in danger to protect the rest of us. Poor guy, his mother and sister are going to be heartbroken.