• Published 30th Dec 2013
  • 918 Views, 12 Comments

Time Shadow - RegalBrony



Silver Spoon and Sweetie Belle, Twilight's genius students, go looking for a blue box.

  • ...
3
 12
 918

It Goes Ding When There's Stuff

"Whaaaaaaaaaat? No way. Sil can't be serious." Sweetie Belle said. "She actually designed this thing? That's...different. Usually she sticks to the chemistry stuff."

"So? Are you in or not?" Twilight said.

"All right, all right. I suppose I can come. But this better be good. I'm gonna have to miss Scootaloo's New House party for this. I mean, I told her it's really more of a first house party, but I guess she really didn't want to admit that she's been living with Rainbow Dash since she was six. Not that anyone really cares, seeing as how she's the number one stunt mare from Manehatten to Canterlot. No other sixteen year old filly has made enough money to buy a house, that's for sure." Sweetie Belle stopped and looked at Twilight. "Am I on a tangent again?"

"Yes. Yes you are."

"Oh. Well, when are we going to build this thing?"

"Now." Twilight said, matter-of-factly.

"Okay. I thought I heard you say now. Did you say now?" Sweetie Belle said disbelievingly.

"Yes, I did say now. Come on, then."

"As in now. As in right-now now."

"Yep. Jeez, Sweetie Belle, I thought you were a genius."

"Yeah. It's just that it's six AM ARE YOU CRAZY TWILIGHT! I CAN'T DO CALCULUS IN THE MORNING!" Sweetie Belle screamed.

"Shhhhh! You'll wake up Rarity! Just come on, Sweetie Belle!" Twilight whispered. She looked at Sweetie Belle imploringly. "I promised Sil that we would start right away today. She came over at midnight and wanted to start! Please, Sweetie Belle, she's driving me crazy!" Twilight begged.

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes. "Fine. But you owe me a pound of marshmallows from Sugarcube Corner. Got it?"

"Got it. No problem." Twilight started to walk off, then turned around and looked quizzically at Sweetie Belle. "A whole pound? Jeez, Sweetie Belle, diet much?"

"Oh, shut up. Let's go already." Sweetie Belle said, rolling her eyes.

"And here we are! Back at the library! Ready to design Sil's . . . thing." Twilight said. Sweetie Belle yawned and opened the door to the library.

And promptly got hit in the head with Spike.

"She's crazy! Run for your lives!!!" Spike yelled as his winged form rocketed away. Sweetie Belle looked inside the library, to see the framework for the large machine already under construction.

"Now, attach the astrolic to the neural interface...annnnnnd the construction part is finished!" Silver Spoon turned and looked at Sweetie Belle and Twilight. "Oh hey, slowpokes! Just in time! I finished building the holding device but I still need the program for the neural interface to be written, Sweetie Belle that's your job since you're the best programmer, and Twilight, you can help build the shielding mechanism and then start giving it a bit of magical power!" Silver Spoon looked expectantly at the shocked unicorns and laughed. "Hurry up, we're building a time-detector thingy, not waiting for spiders to build webs in your very open mouths!" she giggled.

Sweetie Belle closed her mouth and huffed angrily over to what she called her Power Station. "Spike's right," she mumbled. "That pony is crazy." She turned on her computer and yelled over her shoulder, "Hey, what exactly am I supposed to code, anyways, Sil?"

Silver Spoon threw a scroll over her shoulder and started grabbing a wobbling piece of the machinery to move it to a more stable position. Sweetie Belle picked up the scroll and started reading through the instructions.

"Code a program that will allow the computer to use the full mental capacity of a pony's brain without damaging it, and release the pony unchanged from the neural interface after calculations are complete." Sweetie Belle frowned. "Hey! You've been hacking into my project list again, haven't you!" she yelled after Silver Spoon. Silver Spoon turned and smirked at her.

"Maybe I wouldn't if your security wasn't so lame." Silver Spoon said. "Anyways, I know you've worked for several months on that program, but if you could just tweak it so that it wasn't for looking through databases for illegal activities and rather looking for signs of time travel, that'd be great. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes for someone who codes as fast as you do, especially since you only need to change a couple of things."

Sweetie Belle ground her teeth and started to code, when a question popped into her head. "Hey, why does this thing need a neural interface, anyway?"

Silver Spoon looked over her shoulder and arched one eyebrow. "Why do ya think?" Sweetie Belle kept looking at her questioningly. Silver Spoon smacked her forehead with her hoof. "Really? You can't figure that out?" she said. "Fine. It needs a pony's brain capacity, which is way more than any computer, because of the gigantic amount of data to go through. Got that, or should I speak more slowly?"

"I'm not stupid! I was just wondering. By Celestia, take a damn chill pill, Sil. By the way, I'm done with the code. Because you know, I'm just as much a genius as you. Ten minutes for that kind of code is an insult, seriously." Sweetie Belle said.

"All right! Twilight, you done with that shielding mechanism yet?" Silver Spoon yelled across the library, where Twilight was fiddling with an equation.

"Almost! Just need to balance this equation annnnnd... done!" Twilight said, a note of victory in her voice.

"Finally," said Silver Spoon. "Now, I'm gonna be the pony in the hot seat with the code in my head, so I sure hope that somepony didn't mess up, and that would be you I'm talking to Sweetie Belle." By this point, Sweetie Belle looked ready to blow fire from her horn. Silver Spoon didn't notice this and kept on jabbering. "Twilight, you power her up, since you've got the superpowerful magic. Just a simple power spell, not a problem for a unicorn of your caliber." Silver Spoon continued, putting on the bizarre helmet she had designed for the neural interface. She breathed deeply.

"Now, the actual search requires me to sit here for only a few seconds, but the results will take at least a minute. So Twilight, keep up the power spell after I'm done, all right?" Silver Spoon said.

She flicked the power switch and her eyes went white as the computer began to use her as a tool. A puff of smoke later, and she fell out of the chair, disoriented.

Sweetie Belle rushed over. "You all right, Sil? Looks like that hurt." she said, albeit without much sympathy.

"Shhhhhh! It's working!" Silver Spoon whispered.

The machine beeped.

"Searching..." it said. The ponies held their breath.

"Searching..."

"Searching..."

Twilight sighed. "I told you, Sil, time travel doesn't work." Silver Spoon sighed. It had been a full minute. "Just... ten seconds more, please Twilight?"

Twilight lifted her head and looked at Silver Spoon. "Ten more seconds." she agreed.

"Searching...Results found. Result: Conclusive evidence supporting time travel. Would you like images from all files?" the tinny voice of the computer said.

"YES!YESOHYESOHYES GIVE ME THE IMAGES!" Silver Spoon yelled ecstatically. Twilight's jaw dropped.

"N-n-not possible...this can't be..." Twilight said breathlessly.

Images popped up on the screen, cycling rapidly. Silver Spoon looked with curiousity, and then with absolute amazement. "The pictures...." she said, "They're all the same..." The screen continued to go through the database of images it had come up with. The pictures were from quite a few different places in Equestria, and many of them were obviously old. But although the background was different, each picture had one thing in common. One impossible thing.

A blue box.