• Published 24th Dec 2013
  • 2,459 Views, 61 Comments

Burned Gingerbread and Fresh Pie - fallen starr



When Sugarcube Corner burned down, Twilight offered to let Pinkie live with her. Living with Pinkie can bring out a lot of things in a person, though. Annoying habits, odd quirks, and feelings that had been ignored for a long time.

  • ...
8
 61
 2,459

"2" Do I Stay or Do I Go

The sun filtered softly though the deep purple curtains. Twilight slowly opened her eyes just enough to let a beam of light in, before groaning. She stretched out her legs, and attempted to move her arms, but something was on one. Confused, she turned her head, blinking a few times before she realized the curly mass of pink beside her was Pinkie's hair.

Twilight pulled her arm from beneath the other girl, feeling the pleasant sting as blood rushed back to her fingertips. She looked at Pinkie for a moment, smiling slightly. Pinkie's mouth was open, with half her face pressed into the pillow. A small line of drool fell onto the pillow, and she snored softly. As carefully as she could, Twilight extracted herself from the bed.

As she stumbled her way to the bathroom, she thanked the Goddess that Pinkie was sleeping well. She knew the other girl didn't get to sleep very quickly after everything that had happened the night before. She doubted anyone had. Her morning routine went along quickly; shower, brush teeth, dry hair, and dress.

It was nearly an hour later when she made it back to her room. Pinkie had taken over the small bed, lying on her stomach in the middle, her arms wrapped around the pillow Twilight had been using. She gave another sad smile. She knew Pinkie loved working at Sugarcube Corner just as much as she loved parties, and Pinkie loved her parties. She also knew Pinkie cared about the Cakes, and what was happening to them. She also knew the Cakes wouldn't stay with Applejack forever. "What's going to happen now," she whispered as she walked from the room.

She was just about to make herself some breakfast when someone knocked on the door. Groaning, she glanced at the clock. The Library had been open for at least two hours, and as such the public could come and go as the pleased. Instead, nearly everybody treated it as Twilight's house, refusing to enter without knocking.

She pulled the door open to reveal Mr. and Mrs. Cake, each holding one of the twins. "Good morning, Twilight. Hope we didn't wake ya?"

Twilight shook her head, moving out of the doorway so the couple could enter. "Not at all. I've been awake."

"Living with Pinkie will do that, I suppose," Mr. Cake said with a chuckle.

She led the family to the couch and sat, furrowing her brow. "What do you mean?"

"Well, hasn’t she been awake since seven baking? Or singing? Or something?" Mrs. Cake asked. "She's always up with the sun."

Twilight bit her lip. "No, Pinkie's still asleep, actually. Did you need her? I can wake her up." She stood and started walking toward the stairs leading to her private chambers in the library.

Mrs. Cake sighed. "Yes, we need to talk to her." She threw a worried look to Mr. Cake. "It isn't like her to sleep so late, though."

The door to the bedroom was still open, Pinkie's soft snores floating out into the hallway. Twilight reached out to wake her, but jerked her hand back. Pinkie's hair was pushed away from her face, her eyes were closed and she had a slight smile on her face. Twilight almost didn't want to wake her, knowing how quickly that smile would disappear.

Sighing, she reached out again, putting her hand on Pinkie's shoulder. "Hey," she said, shaking her, "wake up. Pinkie, wake up." Slowly, Pinkie blinked. Then again.

"M-m-morning, Twilight," she managed to say through a yawn. "What time is it?"

Twilight smiled as Pinkie rubbed her face, still trying to wake up properly. "About ten. Umm…the Cakes are downstairs. They want to talk to you."

The contented expression Pinkie had worn while waking fell away immediately, replaced with a frown. "Oh. Okay." She stood, taking a deep breath. The sleeping shorts and tank top Twilight had given her to sleep in didn't quite fit, leaving a gap between the shirt and shorts that revealed a small pudge. "Are you…" Twilight started before thinking better of what she had been about to say. She was going to suggest changing, but thought better of it. "Are you okay, Pinkie?" she asked instead.

Pinkie stopped in the doorway, looking back at her. "I will be. I mean, it won’t take long to get this all lined out, and then everything will be back to normal." Twilight watched as she forced another smile to her face, though it looked more like a grimace.

They quickly made their way to down the stairs. Pinkie stopped for a moment at the foot of the stairs, just looking at the family, before she ran over and threw herself into Mrs. Cake's arms. "Oh, deary." Mrs. Cake, with a surprising amount of ease, scooped Pinkie up and sat her on her lap. Mrs. Cake pulled Pinkie close, wrapping one arm tightly, with the other stroked the girls hair. "Oh, sweetie, it's okay. Everything is fine."

"I-I lost G-Gummy. I d-didn't even look for him," she said, not moving her face from where it was pressed against Mrs. Cake's neck. The hands wrapped around the older woman's back balled into fist wrapping themselves in the fabric of the shirt. "I c-could have asked s-somepony to find him. O-or looked for him myself. B-but I d-didn't." She raised her head, looking directly into Mrs. Cake's eyes. "Gummy died because of me. And we lost the shop because of me. I-I'm sorry!" Her head fell back to the Mrs. Cake's neck as her sobs shook both women.

Twilight glanced at Mr. Cake, but he was too busy watching the whole scene. He reached out a couple times to touch Pinkie's back, but pulled back every time, shaking his head. Twilight sat over to the side, not wanting to interrupt the family. She crossed her arms as she watched.

It took a while for Mrs. Cake to calm Pinkie. When Pinkie finally sat up, Mrs. Cake took Pinkie's face in her hands, cupping her cheeks. Using her thumbs to wipe a few lingering tears away, Mrs. Cake smiled at Pinkie. "All out for now?" she asked. Pinkie nodded a small, true smile showing on her face. "Okay then."

Mrs. Cake moved Pinkie over to the side, turning so that both she and Mr. Cake had a good view of her. Mrs. Cake took her hand as Mr. Cake spoke. "We talked to the insurance company this morning. They say they have to wait on the final report from the investigation, but from what they have right now, we'll get enough to rebuild." The small smile Pinkie had been wearing grew. "It'll take about a month for it to process, and then we can start building. But—"

"But what? That's great. We can—"

"But," Mr. Cake said, over Pinkie. "We can't start building until summer. Winter will be here soon, and no contractor will work outside when there is snow on the ground." Pinkie's smile melted. "Hey, you remember Cynthia, don't you? Cup's sister? We're going to stay with her. She has enough rooms for all of us."

Pinkie shook her head, looking between Mr. and Mrs. Cake. "That's three towns away. That’s…" Twilight didn't think she would ever see a time when Pinkie couldn't think of anything to say, but that's what had happened. Pinkie just shook her head.

"Y-You don't want to go, dear?" Mrs. Cake said, concerned. "We were going…" She looked to Mr. Cake, who shrugged, then back to Pinkie. "It's just until the shop is rebuilt."

Pinkie wrapped her arms around her stomach, balling her hands into fist in the cloth of her shirt. "This is home, Mrs. Cake. It's where my friends are," she said, looking over a Twilight. "And everyone knows me. I…" She sighed. "I hate this."

Mrs. Cake's face softened. "I know it's a lot to take in, sweetie." She took Pinkie's face in her hands. "We'll get through it, though."

"How are you so calm about it? How did you just accept it?" Pinkie looked directly into Mrs. Cake's eyes. "How are you not feeling as off kilter as I am?"

Mr. Cake chuckled. "We feel that way too. The only thing we can do is wait and rebuild, though. We've got enough bits in the bank to last us a couple months and Cynthia said we could stay as long as we need to. We'll make it, and we're alive, and that's important."

The room settled into silence, the twin's baby chatter the only noise. "I don't want to go away," Pinkie whispered. "Everything I have—had. Everything I had is here." She grabbed Mrs. Cake's hands. "Can't we just find somewhere to stay here?"

The pained look on Mrs. Cake's face made Twilight's stomach fall. Pinkie was so hopeful that everything would be the same, despite what had happened, and Mrs. Cake was trying her hardest to let her down gently. "Pinkie, sweetie," Mrs. Cake shook her head. "I wish we could. But where would we stay? Mr. Cake and I stayed up late just figuring this out. The only reason we heard so quickly from Cynthia was a favor from the Mayor." Mrs. Cake blinked away a few tears, shaking her head. "We'll be back after winter is over and rebuild."

Pinkie looked around, wide eyed. "But…but…there has to be a way. Please? We can do what Zecora does and live in the forest or…"

"Pinkie," Twilia said, standing and moving over to her distraught friend. "You can stay here. How's that?" She looked over at Mr. and Mrs. Cake, her expression asking if that was okay. Mrs. Cake gave Twilight a sad smile before looking back at Pinkie and taking her hand.

"Sweetie, you can do what you want. We…" Mrs. Cake swallowed, but her voice broke when she spoke anyway. "We know we aren't your p-parents, but…we still want what's best for you. I want you to come with us, but if you really want to stay with Twilight, well, we are only a train ride away."

Pinkie looked between Twilight and the Cakes before burring her face in her hands again. "I can't go," she whispered. "I can't just leave. I…"

Mrs. Cake pulled Pinkie to her again, Pinkie's head resting on the older woman's chest. "That's okay, dear. That's okay." Mrs. Cake stroked Pinkie's hair, looking down at the girl. "Why don't you go get cleaned up, hmm? I bet a hot shower will make you feel better. We have to get train tickets and the like, and then we will all go out to dinner before we leave. Doesn't that sound lovely?"

Pinkie's grip tightened around Mrs. Cake, but she nodded away. Mrs. Cake smiled, gently prying Pinkie away from her. "Okay deary, go and get you a shower. We'll see you this evening." After hesitating a moment, Mrs. Cake kissed Pinkie on the cheek.

"Okay…oh, you don't mind, do you Twilight?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight smiled. "Of course not, Pinkie. My home is your home."

Pinkie gave her a grateful smile before walking up the steps.

After a few moments, the Cakes stood. "Thank you, Twilight." Mrs. Cake looked up the stairs where Pinkie had disappeared, and put a hand to her mouth, squeezing her eyes shut. Her voice was much thicker, she spoke again. "I can't thank you enough for letting Pinkie stay here. I wish she would just come with us but…perhaps it's for the best." Mrs. Cake took a deep, shaky breath. Wiping tears from her eyes, she looked at Twilight. "Thank you. We really need to go now though."

Twilight walked with them to the door, opening it for them. Mr. Cake pushed the stroller the now sleeping twins were in out the door, but Twilight grabbed Mrs. Cake's arm before she left. "This has you a lot more shaken than you've let on. How did you not break down when Pinkie was crying. I nearly did myself."

Mrs. Cake smiled at Twiligh. "You'll understand one day, dear. But a parent always stays strong for their child. Even if that child is technically grown." Mrs. Cake cast one last glance to the stairs before looking back at Twilight. "I'll see you."

"Bye," Twilight said, shutting the door as the family left.

Twilight sighed before making her way up the stairs. Her clothing was just a tad too small for Pinkie, but since the clothes the girl had worn the day before were still dirty, Twilight laid a pair of jeans and a light blue shirt out by the shower door. She tapped on the door until Pinkie said the door was unlocked.

Cracking the door open with barely enough room to see in, Twilight spoke. "I was just leaving you some clothes. We can go shopping later and get you a few new outfits, but I still haven't washed your clothes from yesterday so…anyway, I'll put them on the rug, okay?"

"Yeah, that's fine. Thanks, Twilight."

Twilight avoided looking toward the shower when she opened the door, quickly dropping the clothes in a heap. Still, she couldn't ignore the hoarseness of Pinkie's voice, or the sniff she gave just before closing the door. "Hey, Pinkie? I think this is going to be fun, us living together." With an audible click, she closed the door before Pinkie could reply.

Twilight walked into her room, waving her hand at the bed, which quickly made itself. Sitting on the newly made bed, she looked out the window. She could see Sugarcube Corner from here. Blackened stone and charred wood was all she could see. If only I could do something. she thought. She wanted to do more than just let Pinkie live with her in the library. She wanted to fix everything.

There wasn't a spell for that, though. She couldn't just wave her hands at the remains of the bakery and have it back to normal. She wasn't sure how long she sat there, looking at the window, but when the Pinkie walked into the bedroom, she jumped up. "Nice shower?" she asked.

"Yeah. I do feel a little better." She flipped her head upside down, rubbing her hair with the towel. "Plus, you said something about getting clothes? I mean, I like your clothes Twily, but they don't really fit all that well." Flipping her head back upright, she gave Twilight a sheepish smile.

She wasn't wrong. Twilight was taller than Pinkie, but only by an a few inches. She was thinner, though, and Twilight's shirt stretched tightly across Pinkie's midriff and breast.

"Come on, we'll go and shopping and then we'll meet the Cakes, yeah?" Twilight picked up her wallet, smiling at Pinkie.

Pinkie's own smile fell a little. "Yeah."

Goddess, Twilight. Can't you see she's trying hard to keep smiling. "So…ready?"

"Yep," Pinkie said, throwing the towel on a basket in the corner. "Umm…we may need to stop by the bank first, so I can get some money out."

"Oh no," Twlia said, leading Pinkie out of the room. "This is my treat. This can be our little 'Pinkie moving in with Twilight' celebration, if you'd like."

Pinkie smiled. "You're totally the fantazing bestest friend ever. You know that, right?"

"Fantazing?"

"Fantastic an amazing," Pinkie replied, giggling a little.

Smiling, the pair stepped out the door and into town.


Twilight watched as Pinkie gestured wildly, telling Mr. and Mrs. Cake about her day. She was smiling again, and laughing, which was more than Twilight had really hoped for so soon. Her smiles fell sooner, and her laughter wasn't nearly as rich, but it was there. The only hint that anything was amiss was in Pinkie's eyes. They didn't crinkle with each smile, they didn't shine with each laugh. Instead, they held an anxiousness. Still, once the dinner was over and the group made their way to the train station, she still managed a smile.

Her smile only faltered when the train started loading. She didn't cry, not this time. But the ache was obvious as she gave Mr. and Mrs. Cake minute-long hugs. As she told the twins goodbye. As she watched the family board the train without her. As she waved until the train was well out of site.

Pinkie and Twilight walked in silence through the market. Twilight wracked her brain for something to say to Pinkie, but nothing came to mind. Just as the library came into view, Pinkie stopped. Sugarcube Corner laid before them, the only dark spot on the otherwise bright and cheery town.

"It's really gone," Pinkie whispered. "Just…poof. Gone." Pinkie sighed, not taking her eyes from the wreckage. Without saying a word, Twilight took Pinkie's hand. "Hey, come on. It'll be good as new soon. I bet Rarity would love to see your new clothes, though. Let's go show her."

Though it was an obvious attempt to get Pinkie away from the burned down shop, she followed the slight tug on her hand. "Yeah. She will love that dress I got! With all the lace and stuff."

The pair stopped by the library to pick up the bags of clothes before going to Carousel Boutique.

Author's Note:

Leave your thoughts below! I love hearing what you guys think.

TS