• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 660 Views, 9 Comments

Misery - ImpendingDoomxXx



A young pony tells of his tragic past...

  • ...
 9
 660

Chapter 3: Nightmares

Misery

Chapter 3

I sit here on these rocks. There is no sun, but there is a beautiful bright blue sky with few clouds. There are many trees around me, and I recognize this place. This is a clearing in the woods behind my parents house. I had found this when I was very young.

There is a smell of peach cobbler in the air. It smells so sweet, simply divine. I can hear the birds chirping, and the squirrels chattering and playing in the trees. There is a nice cool breeze flowing through the trees. It seems...peaceful.

Then something happened that made my heart jump and sink in the same motion. My mother called me. " come to dinner sweetie!" she said in her smooth voice that reminded me of apple juice being poured over ice cubes. 'Why couldn't I hear her call my name?' 'Is this a dream?' 'Oh, who cares, I get to see my mom again!'

I ran as fast as my little hooves could carry me. I ran out of the woods and across the back yard. I ran across the back porch and jumped through the open door. "MOM!" I called into the house, which was oddly shrouded in black past the door to the kitchen. "In the kitchen dear, i'm waiting for you..." she said in a very eerie tone.

I walk slowly down the hallway. Just as I pass the swing radius of the door, it slammed shut behind me with a loud *THUD*. I jump from the sudden loud noise. "M-M-Mom?" I ask now scared. "I'm in the kitchen dear, come give mommy a hug." Now it was just creepy.

I cross the doorway to the kitchen. There is a figure of a grown pony standing at the counter, staring at where the window would have been, if it weren't a black wall. "Mom?" I ask now about to cry. The figure turns to me, and i see the black-clad stallion from that dreaded night.

I start to hyperventilate. My thoughts go racing. I step forward, and call for one last time, hoping the shade would disintegrate, leaving my mother behind. "Mom?"

"I KILLED YOUR MOTHER! HA HA HA HA! AND IT WAS FUN TOO!" the figure screamed at me. I couldn't help it now, I started to cry. I started surveying the room. There was a blade sitting on the table. I rush for the blade, the figure makes no move to stop me. I grab the bade in my mouth and turn back to the figure.

He was right there. All I had to do was jump, and stab. Sure, I wouldn't really be killing him, but it would make me feel much better to have killed even an apparition of him. I blink once to clear my eyes. I map out how I will attack him first, then I make my move.

Just as i'm bout to jump at him and cleave him in his ribs. The room goes black and the floor falters. I fall through into black space, staring back up at the shade that I had not gotten to slice from end to end. I feel unfulfilled.

I'm falling through nothingness, inky black nothingness. It almost feels peaceful. I close my eyes and imagine that there is wind rushing past me, over my body and through my mane. Then I open my eyes and i'm back in that same clearing.

There is an extraordinarily large moon out casting a purple haze over the sky. I hear a scream. I rush through the woods, through the back yard and to the back door. I shove it open and there is nothing beyond it, leaving me to fall through the pitch-black doorway and fall through the inky black nothingness once again.

Another scream, and another. They seem almost too vivid to not be real. I blink, and i find myself in the living room, in my parents house. I am myself now. My parents and young me are sitting on the couch, watching a t.v. show. The doorbell rings. I jerk my head toward the noise, dreading the certainty that I know what is about to go down.

Little me jumped up off the couch screaming, "Pizza pony is here!" Even though I knew what was happening. I tried to run after him to stop him, thinking that if he didn't open the door, then I wouldn't have to re-live that night again. But just as I lunge for him, I fall through the floor again.

Another scream, this one seemed as if it were real. Like I had really heard it, like on the outside. 'Why can't I wake up? I don't want to be in this nightmare anymore!" I think starting to tear up.

I land in the Living room. There is no furniture, no ponies, just empty. The air starts to vibrate and all of the furniture appears with my parents sitting on the couch together. There is no sign of me, maybe I already went for the door. Then that mystery stallion bursts into the room, the walls catch on fire as he starts fighting with my father. I try to intervene and help fight, but my limbs won't move. I can't move anything, i'm stuck here in this flaming room, watching that pony fight with my dad, and I can't do anything about it.

Another hit, an uppercut from my father, sends the stallion tumbling over himself to the wall. He hits the wall and slides to the floor. He looks around himself, he sees a vase, he goes for it. 'Now it happens again,' I thought now crying. He jumps up and reaches for it, he grabs it between his teeth, and swings his head violently, in the direction of my father. He wasn't looking at him, the vase hits him and shatters with a clink-clink-crackle, into a million shards of glass and water.

Then he reaches into his coat and pulls out a piece of rope. He ties my fathers front and back legs together. Then he pulls out some duct-tape, and tapes his mouth shut. Then repeats the steps on my mother.

I can't stand this, why won't I wake up? Why can't I escape this living hell? Why must my mind torment me like this? Why this dream? Why not any other dream? Anything else would be better than this atrocious night. If I had been dreaming about anything nice, my mind wouldn't hesitate to take me from that. Why not now? Please, rip me from this horror!

He sits down on the couch and starts watching the show. He actually laughed at a joke on the show, I couldn't believe it. A pony so twisted that he can laugh at a time like this. It wasn't long before my father came back into consciousness. When he did, though, the stallion went back to business. He turned off the t.v. and started talking to them.

He was yelling garbled sentences, of what I couldn't tell. Then he slapped a family portrait, it flew across the room and shattered against the wall. Small pieces of glass rained down on little me.

He turned toward my mother. He started smiling, he was missing four teeth. But just as he started to get close to her... I woke up.

I rose up quickly in bed, I was sitting in a pool of sweat, and I was crying. It took me a second to realize it, but I was also screaming. When I noticed, I stopped.

My foster father came rushing into the room. "What's wrong? What happened?" he said rushing to my bed. I couldn't help myself. I threw my arms around his neck and embraced him, then started crying. "There, there. It's gonna' be ok. What happened?" he said trying to comfort me.

I couldn't control my emotions, I kept crying on his shoulder for at least another five minutes. And he let the embrace hold for the entire duration. I was the one to pull away. After I completely got my emotions back in check, I started to explain what happened.

"I had a really bad nightmare." I said trying not to break again, my voice and body were trembling. "Would you like to talk about it?" he asked clearly showing that he had no idea how to handle this kind of situation. "That's the last thing that I want to do." I said a bit harshly.

"Well, if you feel like you will be ok, then i'll leave you to get back to sleep. Make sure you take another shower before school though, you reek of sweaty teenager." he said jokingly.

I rolled over and faced the wall. Had my foster father just tried to help me cope? What is going on today? Everything I know is falling apart around me.

I tried to clear my head of all thought of what had just happened. I tried to think of nice thoughts, like small animals, beautiful landscapes, the sunset.

Before long I was asleep again. This time, I was determined to have a good dream, or no dream at all.

I would like to thank bandgeekjim for editing for me. You were a big help, and this story wouldn't be going as well as it is without you.