• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 819 Views, 5 Comments

Starting the Record - Basmati



Vinyl Scratch comes to Ponyville, wanting to settle down in the town, and she meets Adara.

  • ...
 5
 819

Chapter 2

Vinyl stood there for a while, not believing what she saw. She had seen lookalikes of her before, but this was different. She slowly walked closer to the grey unicorn, watching her closely. Immediately, she saw some differences- this mare had purple eyes, a slightly darker coat, a bluer mane and, most importantly, no cutie mark. But even with those differences, she could easily pass as her, and vice versa.
"Why hello," Vinyl said, grinning at the mare.
"You're...you're Vinyl Scratch..." the grey unicorn muttered, her eyes wide.
Vinyl smiled. "And you look just like me. May I just say, you are one beautiful mare."
The unicorn's face dropped. "Sorry, but I don't swing that way."
Vinyl raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, I hear that a lot, but usually, they retract that statement IN BED!" she replied, grinning.
The grey unicorn facehoofed while Vinyl laughed. "You're funny. I like you. What's your name?"
"Adara."
"Well Adara, it is nice to meet such a good-looking pony," Vinyl said, shaking Adara's hoof.
"I'm not kidding - I really don't go for mares and there is nothing you can do, or say, that will get me into bed," Adara said, sternly.
"Damn."

***
Adara sat in Sugarcube Corner, not really eating the purple cupcake in front of her. Sitting on the other side of the table was DJ P0N-3, the one and only, otherwise known as Vinyl Scratch, whom she met only minutes ago. Adara couldn't believe her luck - not only was she in Ponyville, but now she was sitting here, eating lunch with one of the most famous ponies in all of Equestria! It felt so surreal, and there was something that made Adara feel a bit edgy.
"Hey, what's up? These cupcakes are the best I've ever had, but you haven't touched yours," Vinyl said. Adara couldn't tell due to her goggles, but it looked like her was raising one of her eyebrows.
"Can I ask you something?" Adara asked.
"Well, you just have. But you can ask me something else," she replied, giving Adara her famous grin, once again.
"Why did you come here? To Ponyville, I mean."
Vinyl stopped eating her cupcake. She carefully lowered the cake that she was floating using her magic, and sighed.
"Long story short - I was bored. Bored of being everypony's business. Bored of taking drugs, drinking, waking up with a different mare or stallion every morning. So I decided to pack up and leave. Actually, just leave. I left everything in Manehatten and just started walking."
"But why here?"
Vinyl looked around and leaned in closer. "Don't judge me, but as I was walking, I got to a fork in the road. I was going to go left, but I hear a voice, and that voice tells me to go right." She stopped, and looked at Adara. "I know what you're thinking - hearing mysterous voices that tell me what path I should take - you think I'm crazy. But I'm not - well, I hope I'm not-"
"I don't think you're crazy," Adara interrupted. Vinyl looked at Adara, for a bit, then raised her hooves to her head, and took her goggles off. Adara made no sound as Vinyl opened her eyes and revealled her deep red irises. Vinyl waited for a few moments, then spoke again.
"You're too kind. But anyway, I decided to go right - I had no reason to go left, really. I carried on walking, and walked into Ponyville, and then met you, and then we went here and we got cupcakes and-"
"Yes - I know the rest," Adara stopped her. "Well, I guess it's lucky that you did come here, otherwise you would have no idea who I was."
"And wouldn't that just be awful?" Vinyl said, putting her goggles back on. Adara smiled, shaking her head at the DJ pony.
"I'm sure you'll love it here. I've only been here for a few days, but I couldn't imagine being anywhere else."
"Where were you before?" Vinyl asked her. Adara stopped. She was hoping that no one would ask her that question, or for at least a few weeks until she had gotten an answer.
She immediately stood up and said, "Let's err... leave."
Vinyl slowly got out of her chair, giving Adara a questioning look. "What's wrong?" she said, following Adara out of the door.
"Where I came from - it's kinda...it's complicated, and we need to talk to someone about it. Follow me."

***
Twilight sat in the library, reading one of her many books. That was the best thing about living in Ponyville Library - the never-ending supply of books. Well, she said never-ending, it would eventually end, and probably soon, at the rate that she was reading recently.
The door suddenly burst open. Twilight flung her book down, jumped off the sofa, and faced the intruders. But instead, she saw Adara.
"Adara? What's with the banging and the-"
"Twilight, we need to talk." She stepped aside to reveal a white unicorn behind her. Twilight gasped.
"DJ P0N-3."